I've gone on two, both during spring break. Which I think, adds to the quick and rash judgments of these trips. Because one goes during spring break, it is assumed that they are going there for the beaches and beer. When in reality, there were no beaches nor no beer, but there was a week of early wake-ups.
While I've gone to the same country twice, I was involved with the campus work of our RSO for the majority of my UG years. So it wasn't as if I just tagged along for a spring break. I worked as a skilled-level volunteer, mainly in triage, taking vitals, past medical history/family history, and prepping for the doctors. I also worked along side the physicians in the actual doctor's room, technically "shadowing" them.
I feel pretty well-versed with the common and valid criticisms of many large-scale foreign mission trips and the "white knight phenomenon". I understand that side of the conversation and I while I disagree with a lot of the points made, I do recognize them. I am confident that the group I worked with was much more holistic and empowering for the actual community we worked in, relative to a lot of the groups that get the majority of the criticism, and I do feel like I could explain this very well in an interview.
I only ask this all because in all honesty, these trips were a big part of my desire to focus on undeserved community/public health. I think it's just disingenuous to pretend that these were not a big factor in my drive to continue onto medical school.