*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nothing explicitly filled out on AMCAS as: Volunteer - Not Medical/Clinical

But I have two experiences that are examples non-clinical volunteering:
1.) Past treasurer, current President of Medical Club (one of my more significant commitments/experiences)
2.) Tutoring underserved kids & assisting with the resulting admin work

Is it fine to keep these in the leadership & tutoring categories respectively and describe in detail the fundraising, volunteering we did etc.
1) If you were to split out the nonmedical community volunteering you did from the officer positions in the Medical Club, how many hours would that be?

2) I strongly suggest you list this as community volunteering, and use the word Tutoring in the name you give the activity. How many hours will you have completed by submission time?

Members don't see this ad.

1) If you were to split out the nonmedical community volunteering you did from the officer positions in the Medical Club, how many hours would that be?

2) I strongly suggest you list this as community volunteering, and use the word Tutoring in the name you give the activity. How many hours will you have completed by submission time?

1.) Volunteering/fundraising would be over 125 hours over 3 years. Attending, setting up, meetings, treasurer responsibilities etc would be 100-150 hours.

2.) Will have 50-60 hours by submission

Reactions: 1 user
1.) Volunteering/fundraising would be over 125 hours over 3 years. Attending, setting up, meetings, treasurer responsibilities etc would be 100-150 hours.

2.) Will have 50-60 hours by submission
1) Each sub-component is strong enough to stand on its own. You might reasonably consider leaving the leadership component under Leadership and splitting out the a) volunteering and b) philanthropy on its own under Non-Medical Community Service, but distinguish the hours for each of a) and b) in your narrative.

2) A decent amount to list in its own space without grouping it with something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Each sub-component is strong enough to stand on its own. You might reasonably consider leaving the leadership component under Leadership and splitting out the a) volunteering and b) philanthropy on its own under Non-Medical Community Service, but distinguish the hours for each of a) and b) in your narrative.

2) A decent amount to list in its own space without grouping it with something else.

A minor side note, if I am doing admin work for a volunteer position (data entry, grading tests etc.) should I separate that out within one activity. Maybe like 30 hours in-person tutoring, 20 hours admin?

1.) I volunteered as a peer tutor with a campus club that advertised their free tutoring services to all students. Should this be listed under teaching or volunteering?

2.) I was also a TA for a professor, which included the same duties as a tutor and then some. I am considering grouping these activities. How should I go about listing the contact? The professor I was a TA for does not know of my activities outside of class and the tutoring club no longer exists.

3.) If I group two different community services opportunities, should I list one contact on the header and the second in the 700 char description? If so, is there a preference for who goes in the header?

Thank you.

1.) I volunteered as a peer tutor with a campus club that advertised their free tutoring services to all students. Should this be listed under teaching or volunteering?

2.) I was also a TA for a professor, which included the same duties as a tutor and then some. I am considering grouping these activities. How should I go about listing the contact? The professor I was a TA for does not know of my activities outside of class and the tutoring club no longer exists.

3.) If I group two different community services opportunities, should I list one contact on the header and the second in the 700 char description? If so, is there a preference for who goes in the header?
1) It could be either, but should depend on how much community service/volunteering you'd be listing under that tag in another space. If you don't have much other community volunteering, then don't pick Teaching as your category.

2) If you were paid as a TA, but not as a tutor, you'd have to use the Teaching tag if you want to include both in a single space. If both were unpaid, it sounds like you'd have no choice but to use yourself, a club officer, or a co-tutor as the second Contact, if an Advisor or faculty person was unaware of the activity.

3) Yes. Put the more recent in the header, or the one with the most hours if they have the same timeframe.

Should you make a section for challenges you’ve overcome? Or do you talk about that in secondaries or personal statement?

I am doing my own research and haven't teamed up with anyone (yet) so what do I put in for contact info?

I am doing my own research and haven't teamed up with anyone (yet) so what do I put in for contact info?
Do you have a PI? Is it for a class? Whose lab are you using? If it is in your garage, it is either not research or not something you should leave a paper trail for.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
22. Can I assume that adcomms will see my application as I see it in PDF

Can each school see all the schools that you have applied to?

Do you have a PI? Is it for a class? Whose lab are you using? If it is in your garage, it is either not research or not something you should leave a paper trail for.
No, it is computer based. I was an author on a paper that did a similar research, but on a different topic than I am focusing on. Once I've compiled my data I am going to get at least a statistician to crunch the numbers for me. Not sure if I'll get anyone else yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it is computer based. I was an author on a paper that did a similar research, but on a different topic than I am focusing on. Once I've compiled my data I am going to get at least a statistician to crunch the numbers for me. Not sure if I'll get anyone else yet.
Whoever the leader of the project is, your graduate advisor, the primary beneficiary or funder...research doesn’t just pop out of nowhere, so whoever is overseeing you, you report to with progress, etc.

You can always list yourself as the Contact, but it you want it to be taken seriously you need someone with academic credentials to back you up. You might consider mentioning it in the same Research space with the related project, ideally after having a conversation with your old PI about what you're doing as a heads-up.

LindaAccepted advises against bullet points! You should check out this helpful post, it contradicts this FAQ a bit....who do I trust!?

4. They are giving me a lot of space to describe each activity....how the heck should I enter them in? Is less more? Should I use up all available space?
Unfortunately...you will never get a clear cut answer to this one. But we can give you some possible techniques and advice

a) - One school of thought is that this is not the time to pontificate. Describe the activity if it needs describing (if you think it is something an AdCom member will not know about) and otherwise, be pithy with your description. Many think that talking about what you learned from the activity is not appropriate in this section, and is better saved as material for secondary applications.

b) - Another school of thought is that this is exactly the place to address why you got involved and/or what you learned from an activity because you may not get another chance in a secondary application. Those from California especially feel this pressure since most of the secondaries at California Med Schools are screened (you do not automatically get a secondary; they review your primary application first and decide if you are worthy). Because of this it is tempting to spew as much as possible here.

c) - Approach C is a combination of the two approaches. Spew when necessary (an unusual activity that may need a little bit more explanation to understand its depth, and you learned a lot from but you are NOT addressing in your PS) and limited description of commonplace application items (ER scribe, general hospital volunteer, MCAT teacher/tutor).

You can really go down two general paths when it comes to entering the activities in: paragraph form or bullet points. Go with what comes most naturally to you, and don't force yourself to conform to a style that you think is inappropriate for the information you are trying to convey and your writing style.

Another trick for entering your activities is to use a catchall description that allows you to enter several different activities under one heading so that you are not wasting multiple spots. For example:
Activity: "Undergraduate Work Experience". Category: Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical.
[Input the other header information (time span, total hours, contact, etc) for the first activity listed. Similar info for the additional experiences would be put in the narrative space.]

Starbucks Barista
-Responsible for training new employees, customer service, and product ordering.
-Worked while attending school full time

Also:
Paid Intern - June 2016 - August 2016
-Worked at the Mayor's Office for the City of Memphis.
-Responsible for...
-Worked 40 hours per week while taking 1 summer class. Total Hours 400

Summer Grocery Store Worker - May 2015 - August 2015
-Worked as a cashier for a major grocery store chain
-Worked 30 hours per week while attending school. Total Hours 600
-Responsible for....

Whoever the leader of the project is, your graduate advisor, the primary beneficiary or funder...research doesn’t just pop out of nowhere, so whoever is overseeing you, you report to with progress, etc.
Yeah, I don't have anyone else. I started my own business to market a medical device I co-invented for a disorder I have. I'm the president of that start-up but in the course of doing this, I decided to take the techniques I learned from my previous research team and put them to use for this project that will help shed more light on this disorder. I'm overseeing it.
You can always list yourself as the Contact, but it you want it to be taken seriously you need someone with academic credentials to back you up. You might consider mentioning it in the same Research space with the related project, ideally after having a conversation with your old PI about what you're doing as a heads-up.
I did mention it in that description, and have also made it a separate activity to go more in-depth behind my rationale. I was afraid it wouldn't be taken seriously, like you said, without someone else behind it... I listed the company I founded as the organization name since it is the catalyst for this research, but with what you said I'm afraid the ad comms may look at that as still "oh, it is still just him". I just thought that this project I am doing shows my intent and that I am a true self-starter. I am not doing this as something to "help me get into medical school", but to add to the scientific literature and help shed some more light on an issue I believe needs it. But ad comms do need evidence to show what kind of person I am, so I was hoping this would help them get to know me a little better.

Yeah, I don't have anyone else. I started my own business to market a medical device I co-invented for a disorder I have. I'm the president of that start-up but in the course of doing this, I decided to take the techniques I learned from my previous research team and put them to use for this project that will help shed more light on this disorder. I'm overseeing it.

I did mention it in that description, and have also made it a separate activity to go more in-depth behind my rationale. I was afraid it wouldn't be taken seriously, like you said, without someone else behind it... I listed the company I founded as the organization name since it is the catalyst for this research, but with what you said I'm afraid the ad comms may look at that as still "oh, it is still just him". I just thought that this project I am doing shows my intent and that I am a true self-starter. I am not doing this as something to "help me get into medical school", but to add to the scientific literature and help shed some more light on an issue I believe needs it. But ad comms do need evidence to show what kind of person I am, so I was hoping this would help them get to know me a little better.
I would honestly just list it as a startup business as opposed to research. Put yourself or the financier as the contact.

I would honestly just list it as a startup business as opposed to research. Put yourself or the financier as the contact.
Thank you so much for helping me through this. I've been at this for a while and I'm finally at the stage to apply and I really don't want to mess this up. It means a lot.

Hi I’ve presented posters at 5 conferences and have done 2 oral presentations at 2 other conferences. I was planning on listing them all under 1 category but am not sure if I should write the poster/presentation names or the actual conference names and dates? And should I give any description about it? I’m just worried about the limited space and want to present it in the best way possible. Thanks in advance!

LindaAccepted advises against bullet points! You should check out this helpful post, it contradicts this FAQ a bit....who do I trust!?

As the FAQ that you quoted says, "Go with what comes most naturally to you, and don't force yourself to conform to a style that you think is inappropriate for the information you are trying to convey and your writing style."

And from the first sentence of post #2, "On almost every point there are differing opinions, and ultimately you need to create the work and activities section that is best for you, but being consistent is important. Take all advice offered here as a piece of the solution, but often not the ultimate word on the subject. "

So, who do you trust? Your best instincts.

I’ve presented posters at 5 conferences and have done 2 oral presentations at 2 other conferences. I was planning on listing them all under 1 category but am not sure if I should write the poster/presentation names or the actual conference names and dates? And should I give any description about it? I’m just worried about the limited space and want to present it in the best way possible.
Ideally, you'd cite the poster title, authorship position, conference name, and date. If the title is too long, shorten it. If some of the titles are similar and have the same data set, just state the title once, then the various venues and dates below. A description isn't necessary as the poster title and affiliated Research entries are enough.

I started my own business to market a medical device I co-invented for a disorder I have. I'm the president of that start-up but in the course of doing this, I decided to take the techniques I learned from my previous research team and put them to use for this project that will help shed more light on this disorder. I'm overseeing it.
Do you have a patent pending. That would be all the "authority" you need.

Do you have a patent pending. That would be all the "authority" you need.
Oh, that makes me feel very happy, haha! I have two products each that are patent pending (and competing in business competitions like crazy to pay off the legal fees, haha).

One of my MM activities is (non-clinical) volunteering for an on-campus organization I supported all 4 years in college. I will have ~250 hours for this activity (and ~100 hours for a 2nd, unrelated non-clinical volunteering activity). Some of these hours could be considered Leadership as I served on committees for 3 of the 4 years. I already have one Leadership activity for another organization I supported for 3 years, which I feel shows greater individual responsibility/leadership in that I held several Exec positions (vs. being on a committee).

Is it okay to have just one Leadership spot? Since I'm using the 1st activity as MM I feel I can discuss the leadership angle as part of my write-up and it will strengthen the narrative of why it was MM. If I take the leadership out and include it as it's own activity, I feel the MM narrative will be somewhat weakened. I currently have 13 activities, so I would have room.

Thoughts appreciated!

One of my MM activities is (non-clinical) volunteering for an on-campus organization I supported all 4 years in college. I will have ~250 hours for this activity (and ~100 hours for a 2nd, unrelated non-clinical volunteering activity). Some of these hours could be considered Leadership as I served on committees for 3 of the 4 years. I already have one Leadership activity for another organization I supported for 3 years, which I feel shows greater individual responsibility/leadership in that I held several Exec positions (vs. being on a committee).

Is it okay to have just one Leadership spot? Since I'm using the 1st activity as MM I feel I can discuss the leadership angle as part of my write-up and it will strengthen the narrative of why it was MM. If I take the leadership out and include it as it's own activity, I feel the MM narrative will be somewhat weakened. I currently have 13 activities, so I would have room.

Thoughts appreciated!
One Leadership space is fine. Since you'll have another, dedicated Leadership-Not Listed Elsewhere space, I think it's fine for you to use the Volunteer tag for this activity, though you might consider referring to the leadership component in the name you give to the space, in addition to what you describe in the narrative space.

I started a club on campus that aimed to educate children in low-income areas about science, would the time I spent directly involved with this club (weekly office hours, organizing events) be categorized as non-clinical volunteering as it was all on a volunteer basis? I know it could probably also fit into leadership, but I'd prefer to put it in non-clinical if possible. Thanks!

EDIT: I don't know if it's worth mentioning but I wouldn't have the leadership spot taken, but I would have leadership in other sections mentioned, such as research.

1) I started a club on campus that aimed to educate children in low-income areas about science, would the time I spent directly involved with this club (weekly office hours, organizing events) be categorized as non-clinical volunteering as it was all on a volunteer basis? I know it could probably also fit into leadership, but I'd prefer to put it in non-clinical if possible. Thanks!

2) EDIT: I don't know if it's worth mentioning but I wouldn't have the leadership spot taken, but I would have leadership in other sections mentioned, such as research.
1) Did you personally participate in educating the kids? How many hours for that and how many hours spent on organizational issues?

2) Noted.

1) Do I need to/should I list projected hours?

I currently have every ongoing activity just listed as "End Date: June 2019" and any kind of projection, while probably accurate, would just be made up and have no significance, I would assume.

2) If ADCOMs see "End date: June 2019" and it seems like an activity that would continue (employment, research, hobby) to they just assume that the end date is really "present"?

1) Do I need to/should I list projected hours?

I currently have every ongoing activity just listed as "End Date: June 2019" and any kind of projection, while probably accurate, would just be made up and have no significance, I would assume.

2) If ADCOMs see "End date: June 2019" and it seems like an activity that would continue (employment, research, hobby) to they just assume that the end date is really "present"?
1) Projected hours don't need to be included. If you want to signal an intent to continue the activity, there are multiple ways of doing it, including just adding a comment to the narrative: "Plan to continue through the application year."

2) For employment or research, they might assume you are quitting in June 2019.

(I liked your last avatar better.)

1) Projected hours don't need to be included. If you want to signal an intent to continue the activity, there are multiple ways of doing it, including just adding a comment to the narrative: "Plan to continue through the application year."

2) For employment or research, they might assume you are quitting in June 2019.

(I liked your last avatar better.)
Thank you for the advice. For the activities with multiple sub-activities, I have them each listed like "1/2018 - Present" which seems to be good?
For the individual activities like that I will add something in there about "Continuing"

Also, the cats have all symbolized my grumpiness waiting for the MCAT score to come back. Now, since I have the Army emblem and can have a GIF as an avatar, this is Elmo being happy that he got a 521, while his world his simultaneously on fire due to the actual application being here.

1) Thank you for the advice. For the activities with multiple sub-activities, I have them each listed like "1/2018 - Present" which seems to be good?
For the individual activities like that I will add something in there about "Continuing"

2) Also, the cats have all symbolized my grumpiness waiting for the MCAT score to come back. Now, since I have the Army emblem and can have a GIF as an avatar, this is Elmo being happy that he got a 521, while his world his simultaneously on fire due to the actual application being here.
1) That's fine.

2) I'm glad to hear you aren't incinerating Elmo or that he isn't caught in an endless hellish loop. Your kids wouldn't approve.

1) That's fine.

2) I'm glad to hear you aren't incinerating Elmo or that he isn't caught in an endless hellish loop. Your kids wouldn't approve.
Don’t worry, Elmo caught in an everlasting burning hell will come later.

should I leave out 400 hours of paid bench research if my experience wasn’t great and didn’t lead to anything meaningful? The only other research I have is 100 hrs.

Also, if I had an abstract peer reviewed and published in a national symposium, should I create its own space, apart from my research? Thanks!
No, 400 hours is significant. Talk about the positives leave out the negatives. You should def include that.

Yes, create it as a separate thing under “Posters/presentations” just make it clear you were not the presenters

should I leave out 400 hours of paid bench research if my experience wasn’t great and didn’t lead to anything meaningful, apart from a poster presentation? The only other research I have is 100 hrs.

Also, if I had an abstract peer reviewed and published in a national symposium, should I create its own space, apart from my research? Thanks!
You could put both research experiences in one space, if you want to de-emphasize them and save space.

1) So you think the 400hrs are still worth listing?

2) Also, would a peer reviewed abstract published at a symposium count as a publication in the traditional sense? If so, should I give it its own space, or group it together with the research? Thanks
1) Definitely!

2) No, it is not considered a publication if it appears in a conference booklet, or equivalent. If the abstract were to appear in a national journal and have a pubmed ID#, then it would qualify.

sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum, but I couldn't find any thread that specifically covered my situation and I'd really appreciate some advice. I was a big brother for BBBS for 3 years and never had a supervisor. I was interviewed for it, got an e-mail from my interviewer that I matched with a little plus info on when/where to go (never heard from him again). And throughout the experience I just received random calls from different people at BBBS HQ checking in every 2-3 months to make sure my little was doing well. Should I just list myself as a contact? In retrospect there wasn't even a verification of hours beyond the check-in book at the school, but that was just for the school to know who was coming in and out. It was only 150 hours (1hr/wk for 3 years), but incredibly impactful.

This isn't a self-employed situation, nor is it a "I had a supervisor who I cant track down" situation, so I don't really know what to put lol

sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum, but I couldn't find any thread that specifically covered my situation and I'd really appreciate some advice. I was a big brother for BBBS for 3 years and never had a supervisor. I was interviewed for it, got an e-mail from my interviewer that I matched with a little plus info on when/where to go (never heard from him again). And throughout the experience I just received random calls from different people at BBBS HQ checking in every 2-3 months to make sure my little was doing well. Should I just list myself as a contact? In retrospect there wasn't even a verification of hours beyond the check-in book at the school, but that was just for the school to know who was coming in and out. It was only 150 hours (1hr/wk for 3 years), but incredibly impactful.

This isn't a self-employed situation, nor is it a "I had a supervisor who I cant track down" situation, so I don't really know what to put lol
Using yourself as a contact is always an option, but a more objective person would be preferred. Have you tried calling the headquarters that calls you periodically to ask where records of those communications are kept? Do you know a co-volunteer? Do you ever connect with the parent of your "little"? Can you meet with the director of your facility, share your interaction records, and ask if they'd vouch for you? Those are other options to pursue.

Using yourself as a contact is always an option, but a more objective person would be preferred. Have you tried calling the headquarters that calls you periodically to ask where records of those communications are kept? Do you know a co-volunteer? Do you ever connect with the parent of your "little"? Can you meet with the director of your facility, share your interaction records, and ask if they'd vouch for you? Those are other options to pursue.
I also left out that the years were from 2013-2015, I'm a nontrad so I don't know of anyone I can contact currently. The e-mails I would get from them were also on my school email, which I don't have access to :/ I'll try calling the HQ phone number Monday and see what they would like me to do

What's the consensus on mentioning other health care professionals that you may have shadowed outside an MD or DO (i.e. Physical therapist, CRNA, RN, pharmacist, Neuropsychologist, psychologist)? Does it look bad if you mention that you shadowed other professionals when applying? (i.e. will they say oh why did this person shadow other professionals if he really wanted to be a doctor, or will they say okay he took his time and made sure this is what he really wanted by taking the time to shadow other professionals before committing to becoming a physician?)

Questions:
1. What organization do I use for publication? I used one entry to list the four publications I co-authored

What's the consensus on mentioning other health care professionals that you may have shadowed outside an MD or DO (i.e. Physical therapist, CRNA, RN, pharmacist, Neuropsychologist, psychologist)? Does it look bad if you mention that you shadowed other professionals when applying? (i.e. will they say oh why did this person shadow other professionals if he really wanted to be a doctor, or will they say okay he took his time and made sure this is what he really wanted by taking the time to shadow other professionals before committing to becoming a physician?)
It's fine to mention other professions, as it looks like you weighed various options, but it's best if the hourly total for non-docs doesn't predominate. Be prepared for possible interview questions about comparing one profession with another, though.

Thoughts on full-ride merit scholarships, honors program etc. awarded (during high school) by the university one is attending? Worth tacking on to Dean's List under Honors/Awards/Recognition?

It's fine to mention other professions, as it looks like you weighed various options, but it's best if the hourly total for non-docs doesn't predominate. Be prepared for possible interview questions about comparing one profession with another, though.

Oh, I see. Yeah because for instance, I did Physical Therapist observation which I'm listing as Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation for 32 hours. I then shadowed a podiatrist for 30-35 hours as well. My total time for shadowing MD's is 43 hours, which is less than the total hours of non-docs, which is roughly 62-67 hours.

Another question I have is how common is it for adcoms to actually contact someone you may have shadowed whether that's a PA, podiatrist, or Physical therapist in order to confirm hours or what you did while you were there?

I am applying MD/PhD this cycle and wondering how to classify three of my activities. They are service-oriented, but for the benefit of students at my university:

1) Advocacy work to make lab work and careers in science more accessible for disabled students (mentorship program, information sessions, & group discussions).
2) Soliciting graduating students for donations (i.e. "senior gift"). This supports student scholarship programs and club funding. I was nominated to service on this "senior gift" committee, so I was already planning on listing it under awards.
3) Member of university honor society in which I discussed pertinent issues on campus (diversity, academics, etc) with university administrators. This student committee is quite selective, so I was also planning on listing it under awards.

Would any of these constitute community service? I have no nonclinical volunteering otherwise. None of these three were really leadership activities, and I already leadership + award/honors entries. How would your recommend that I categorize them?

I am also curious if it would be "fluff" to have my departmental honors research thesis + poster as their own activities separate from my existing entry for that lab. I have no publications from this lab, and the poster was just presented at a university symposium. I have no poster/presentations or publication sections otherwise.

I do have a second author publication + poster I won an award for at a college symposium, but both were from high school research I conducted up to starting college. I was told by my premed adviser to group these together under 1 Research/Lab entry since they are kinda from high school.

Last edited:
Thoughts on full-ride merit scholarships, honors program etc. awarded (during high school) by the university one is attending? Worth tacking on to Dean's List under Honors/Awards/Recognition?
If a merit scholarship or recognition was given solely due to HS performance, I wouldn't mention it in the Activities section. If it was given with the proviso that certain conditions be met during the college years to continue to receive any benefit or special designation (eg, GPA, service hours, etc), then it can be included.

Status
Not open for further replies.