*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, two final questions:

1. As i was scrambling to get jobs, I did one long RA position long distance, so my hours in city A are overlapping with my hours in city B. I have the references, and they can vouch for it but do you think it would seem sketch that I did aug-sept 2017 in new york and also aug 17-sept 18 in california? I also did some volunteering in another North eastern city for a few hours as I worked remotely towards the end of my gig. not sure if that makes it look weird.

2. In picking between highlighting recent volunteer experiences (non medical), and taking up 2 boxes
VS
clubbing recent non med volunteering together and using up another box to talk about an older (2013) healthcare experience that meant more to me

do you have suggestions on which one to pick? obv this is a personal choice, but not sure which takes precdence, timing or impact of work
1) No one will notice the date overlap and if they do they won’t care. If they do care, it won’t be enough to deter an interview and you can explain it there. If you wanna be cautious just say the California one started Sep 2017, but you seriously don’t have to.

2) I would go with the one that highlights more recent activities. Use anecdotes from the older on in your secondaries

Members don't see this ad.

Also to add onto that, I have this situation:

May 2015-June 2016 100 hours
July 2018-December 2019 300 hrs

Contact information of person 1 (May 2015)

Kinda confused how best to enter the info in the description box while maximizing space and covering all my bases:

May 2015-June 2016, 100 hours: "I did blah blah"

July 2018-December 2019, 300 hrs, John Doe, Researcher at XYZ Hospital, [email protected]
"My role ...."

1. Doing this is leaving me with like 2 sentences of space, and not enough room to enter my blurb. I did not estimate the no. of characters I would need to use up to put all this info in. Any thoughts on what I can scrap?

2. If I already entered the name and email of the same person as a contact for something else, do I need to include it again in the blurb? John Doe also wrote me a rec letter.

Kinda confused how best to enter the info in the description box while maximizing space and covering all my bases:

July 2018-December 2019, 300 hrs, John Doe, Researcher at XYZ Hospital, [email protected]
"My role ...."

Doing this is leaving me with like 2 sentences of space, and not enough room to enter my blurb. I did not estimate the no. of characters I would need to use up to put all this info in. Any thoughts on what I can scrap?
Get rid of the ‘Researcher at XYZ” and use it in the story - “My role in Dr. Does’s Lab at XYZ hospital was to ABC. Here I learned to 123.”

That is about all you need.

Members don't see this ad :)

"My role ...."

1. Doing this is leaving me with like 2 sentences of space, and not enough room to enter my blurb. I did not estimate the no. of characters I would need to use up to put all this info in. Any thoughts on what I can scrap?

2. If I already entered the name and email of the same person as a contact for something else, do I need to include it again in the blurb? John Doe also wrote me a rec letter.
I personally have one box that I shoved 7 different activities with 4 different contacts in. Used the title to give as much of a description as a I could and moved on. That saves stories for the interviews.

2. In picking between highlighting recent volunteer experiences (non medical), and taking up 2 boxes
VS
clubbing recent non med volunteering together and using up another box to talk about an older (2013) healthcare experience that meant more to me

do you have suggestions on which one to pick? obv this is a personal choice, but not sure which takes precdence, timing or impact of work

3, in listing contact names, do you add a "dr" in front of the "first name" of the person if they are an md or phd.
2) In general, more recent is better, but the instructions state you should emphasize the activities most important to being a good candidate.

3) No. It will look odd.

"My role ...."

1) Consider using bullet points rather than full sentences to save characters.

2) Yes.

Is it acceptable to abbreviate month names like Jan-Dec, 2018 ?

Also for references for multiple groups, do I include a position for each of them?

1) Yes.

2) Ideally, yes, but recall a Contact isn't provided to obtain a reference, just the confirmation of timeframe and hours.

For 2) yes, I meant within the body of the text. Sorry to get sooo nitpicky but this has been stressing me a lot so just wanted to check. Here is something I have:

In the contacts box for AMCAS, added the info for person 1

Description box:

Jan-Aug 2018, 40 hrs: (description for activity 1)

Jul 2019-Jul 2020: John Doe, Institute of Blah blah, [email protected]

description for 2

Concern: this describes what I did in activity 2, but doesn't explicitly mention a "position" or the position of my contact. Just to clarify, you are saying that the bolded part ideally should too right?

For 2) yes, I meant within the body of the text. Sorry to get sooo nitpicky but this has been stressing me a lot so just wanted to check. Here is something I have:

In the contacts box for AMCAS, added the info for person 1

Description box:

Jan-Aug 2018, 40 hrs: (description for activity 1)

Jul 2019-Jul 2020: John Doe, Institute of Blah blah, [email protected]

description for 2

Concern: this describes what I did in activity 2, but doesn't explicitly mention a "position" or the position of my contact. Just to clarify, you are saying that the bolded part ideally should too, right?
For Experience #2, I suggest following the same model as for #1, with the activity description after the dates and subtotal of hours. At the end: Contact J Doe, PhD, PI, [email protected]. Whether the organization needs to be included depends on the activity. What is the category of this space? Was your "position" implied by the description you provided?

Also, you might experiment with using numeric indicators of the month and see if you can cut down the characters used: (eg, 8/19-7/20 or 1/18-8/18)

Reactions: 1 user
For Experience #2, I suggest following the same model as for #1, with the activity description after the dates and subtotal of hours. At the end: Contact J Doe, PhD, PI, [email protected]. Whether the organization needs to be included depends on the activity. What is the category of this space? Was your "position" implied by the description you provided?

Also, you might experiment with using numeric indicators of the month and see if you can cut down the characters used: (eg, 8/19-7/20 or 1/18-8/18)

Thanks the category of the space is public health research since i was involved in two positions 15-16 and '13 but didn't publish anything. also the doctor i do clinical hours with right now as a patient navigator wants me to assist him on a research project re: access to a certain treatment. I was thinking of clubbing them all together in the "public health research" box but thats really not doing them any justice. i think i may either put the 15 one in its own box and then put current + the 2013 position in the other. OR i could add that on top of this, i'm assisting him with the research project in the clinical volunteering box, but all my clinical hrs come from one experience, while I have many research boxes, so that might not be optimal.

Thanks the category of the space is public health research since i was involved in two positions 15-16 and '13 but didn't publish anything. also the doctor i do clinical hours with right now as a patient navigator wants me to assist him on a research project re: access to a certain treatment. I was thinking of clubbing them all together in the "public health research" box but thats really not doing them any justice. i think i may either put the 15 one in its own box and then put current + the 2013 position in the other. OR i could add that on top of this, i'm assisting him with the research project in the clinical volunteering box, but all my clinical hrs come from one experience, while I have many research boxes, so that might not be optimal.
If all your active clinical hours with patients come from one research-project affiliation, it needs to stay in a box labeled "Clinical Volunteer" so it won't be overlooked.

Had you considered making all the other Public Health Research a Most Meaningful Activity so you can fit it all in one box and have sufficient space for good descriptions?

For those with clinical jobs/volunteering, did you include the time spent in training/orientation for your respective positions in the hour figures you submitted to AMCAS? Is this looked down upon?
For volunteer positions, I suggest you don't include training time/orientation hours. For employment, if you got paid to be there, go ahead and count them.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Catalystik Was wondering if schools, when reviewing applications, took into account the nature or the subject of research that applicants published/worked in?

Bob studied protein pathway X
Joe studied something contemporary like immunotherapy/CART cells in cancer, direct medical/clinical applications

@Catalystik Was wondering if schools, when reviewing applications, took into account the nature or the subject of research that applicants published/worked in?

Bob studied protein pathway X
Joe studied something contemporary like immunotherapy/CART cells in cancer, direct medical/clinical applications
No, they don't. That you dipped your toe into the waters of scholarly research and learned the process is what is deemed important. Some specific research areas become relevant in the residency selection processes, though.

Last edited:
No, they don't. That you dipped your toe into the waters of scholarly research and learned the process is what is deemed important. Some specific research areas become relevant in the residency selection processes, though.

Hi, for activities that spanned 4 years of college, is it ok to just have May 2012-August 2016? I'm a non trad so don't know if it makes sense to break it up to exclude the summer months?

So, I have 1900 characters for posters/presentations. Should I use an MME for them or have three poster/presentation slots? I don't think I can shorten them anymore and I can't put them into their respective activities. I do have three MME's as an RA, Research, and Clinical, but I think I will cut my clinical MME just because I also talk some about it (in a different way) in my PS and it is a little less strong in my opinion than the other two which I am very passionate about.

I am happy to PM my work/activities if that would make it easier too.

Edit: I have 12 entries if I use MME for the posters/presentation

So, I have 1900 characters for posters/presentations. Should I use an MME for them or have three poster/presentation slots? I don't think I can shorten them anymore and I can't put them into their respective activities. I do have three MME's as an RA, Research, and Clinical, but I think I will cut my clinical MME just because I also talk some about it (in a different way) in my PS and it is a little less strong in my opinion than the other two which I am very passionate about.

Edit: I have 12 entries if I use MME for the posters/presentation
Did you already condense the entries according to this example: *~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~* (which we discussed previously)?

Three slots for posters is a lot, even if you are an excellent candidate for highly-selective, research-focused med schools. I suggest trying to hold it to two, even though you have spaces to spare. It is your choice to use an MM space, or not.

Are all of the posters related to unique data sets, or are some data sets presented multiple times at various conferences?

Did you already condense the entries according to this example: *~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~* (which we discussed previously)?

Three slots for posters is a lot, even if you are an excellent candidate for highly-selective, research-focused med schools. I suggest trying to hold it to two, even though you have spaces to spare. It is your choice to use an MM space, or not.

Are all of the posters related to unique data sets, or are some data sets presented multiple times at various conferences?
I used similar format, but I completely missed that you could omit other authors if you keep yourself and state your position in the lineup,
1. if I presented three posters at the same conference could I condense them by saying all three posters presented (list the three titles), I have the same author position in all of them

2. Also is there a special way to designate that my name is last in the lineup (i.e. being the final name is better than just being the 6th name, at least that was my understanding in my lab) Yes all posters are unique, they are from an internship, a class I co-led, and two different research labs I have been in the past three years (a variety of research topics are discussed).

3. Should I designate if a presentation was a podium talk or a workshop?

I used similar format, but I completely missed that you could omit other authors if you keep yourself and state your position in the lineup,
1. if I presented three posters at the same conference could I condense them by saying all three posters presented (list the three titles), I have the same author position in all of them

2. Also is there a special way to designate that my name is last in the lineup (i.e. being the final name is better than just being the 6th name, at least that was my understanding in my lab) Yes all posters are unique, they are from an internship, a class I co-led, and two different research labs I have been in the past three years (a variety of research topics are discussed).

3. Should I designate if a presentation was a podium talk or a workshop?
1) Yes.

2) Maybe just say "co-author." No one will intuit that final author means anything special (like lead author), unless it's the name of the PI that is used as a Contact. You could explain this in the "role" portion of the related Research activity.

3) If it wasn't related to an original research presentation, I wouldn't include a (teaching or demonstration) workshop. A workshop presentation special enough to be mentioned belongs with the activity that spawned it. Maybe you could explain better if I am misunderstanding.

Hi, is it okay to use abbreviations like PFC for the prefrontal cortex?

Also is it pompous to say things like "as a future physician...." or "during my practice" idk if it projects confidence or makes you seem like a pompous dingus

Last edited by a moderator:
1) is it okay to use abbreviations like PFC for the prefrontal cortex?

2) Also is it pompous to say things like "as a future physician...." or "during my practice" idk if it projects confidence or makes you seem like a pompous dingus
1) No. A Bioethics PhD or PharmD faculty member wouldn't know what that means. Define it first "prefrontal cortex (PFC)," then you can use the abbreviation.

2) Yes, it's arrogant. Unless you are answering a Secondary prompt about "Where do you see yourself practicing in ten years?"

1) Yes.

2) Maybe just say "co-author." No one will intuit that final author means anything special (like lead author), unless it's the name of the PI that is used as a Contact. You could explain this in the "role" portion of the related Research activity.

3) If it wasn't related to an original research presentation, I wouldn't include a (teaching or demonstration) workshop. A workshop presentation special enough to be mentioned belongs with the activity that spawned it. Maybe you could explain better if I am misunderstanding.
Thank you so much! With your advice I got it down to 2 regular entries!

1) No. A Bioethics PhD or PharmD faculty member wouldn't know what that means. Define it first "prefrontal cortex (PFC)," then you can use the abbreviation.

2) Yes, it's arrogant. Unless you are answering a Secondary prompt about "Where do you see yourself practicing in ten years?"

Thank you! Would you say the same about "in envisioning my future as a physician...", or "I would like to center my ___ (framework) in my future work as a physician"

Would you say the same about "in envisioning my future as a physician...", or "I would like to center my ___ (framework) in my future work as a physician"
How about, "in envisioning a future as a physician..." or "in envisioning a possible future as a physician..."? You will have to decide based on the greater context of what you are trying to say. It never hurts to be humble.

I know this is on the 2nd post of the thread but is listing undergraduate merit scholarships (based on yearly GPA) and dean’s list really worth it? Those are the only awards/recognitions I have.

Also, how much of an explanation or description do we need for our hobbies? They’re pretty self explanatory in my opinion.

1) I know this is on the 2nd post of the thread but is listing undergraduate merit scholarships (based on yearly GPA) and dean’s list really worth it? Those are the only awards/recognitions I have.

2) Also, how much of an explanation or description do we need for our hobbies? They’re pretty self explanatory in my opinion.
1) Whether merit scholarships are worth mentioning depends in the dollar amount and the criteria for receiving the monitary award. Strangely enough, it isn't considered tacky to disclose the dollar value, but if it's low, I wouldn't bother. If it's at least $3K, do be specific.

2) If you have a mundane hobby, it makes the entry more interesting to add an anecdote or example. So instead if just saying "I like to read," add "I collect books by early science fiction writers from secondhand shops, like Asimov and ..., and have accumulated an assortment of 54 books." You want to give interviewers a platform from which to start a conversation.

I don't really have any leadership experience. Any advice? (I feel like it's too late to get involved in student clubs).

Would something like this count as leadership experience?
A small part of the listed duties would be looked upon as the type of peer leadership that adcomms are looking for, namely the training of new volunteers. If you were to provide ongoing oversight and responsibility for new members' activities, that would qualify also, but they don't mention that. If you chaired a subcommittee that would qualify, too.

They require a significant unpaid time commitment. Do you have time for that?

Why not look for a leadership opportunity at the nonmedical community service site where you volunteer now? Or train new members of your lab or clinical volunteer department? Or organize your friends into a service activity that would benefit the local area, like cleanup, collecting items for a (men's, women's, or animal) shelter or food pantry?

1. A concern I have is that my research experience won't be valued because I wasn't involved with the lab work component that most people have. I basically came in and assisted with analyzing the data, and writing the publication.

2. I was hoping to get your take on this.... I published as a first author in my medical school journal, so not necessarily a science journal per se. However, it went through a council of doctors and scientist reviewers who had to accept it. All though not on Pubmed, if you type my name you would locate the paper online. Would you still view this favorably? Is it still considered as a valued publication?
1) The point of getting involved in research prior to med school application is to gain an understanding of the scientific method. Some applicants get involved in years' long projects at the beginning and never see all the results, the data analysis, or conclusions. Are their contributions to be less valued? Of course not. Research is a team sport. Just be honest about your role in the project. That you were recruited to do data analysis speaks well of you, so mention that, too.

2) That you have any science pub, and first-author at that, still carries some weight. Publications in campus journals don't carry the same luster as those in regional or national journals. Peer review is generally assumed to be less rigorous. Adcomms won't know what your paper went through prior to gain an acceptance or that it's available through a database unless you tell them. On the application, perhaps you could also include a link to the site where it can be found, for any med school adcomm member interested in looking it up.

I am trying to figure out on how to categorize on these experiences for medical school application.

1) The first one is being a research assistant for a project and helps build a database called the ORIEN (Oncology Research Information Exchange Network) Avatar program for a cancer comprehensive hospital. My current role consist of reading pathology reports, shipping and sorting specimens for genomic analysis, and collaborating with doctors and researchers on how to expand projects. Eventually I would have look into building a database with genomic analysis. So my question is, would this consider as a research experience?

2) Or should I look into medically related project for research?
1) Does this project have a hypothesis? What are you trying to prove or disprove? To be considered "research" you need more than just building a database. If you're not sure, ask for a copy of the IRB application or the original grant proposal.

2) Hypothesis-based, scholarly research need not be medically- or even science-related to be of value on a med school application.

All that said, you can still list it on the AMCAS application under the tag Research/Lab, as it certainly qualifies as one or the other.

I wanted to check to see if publishing a case study as a first author is viewed favorably? Its a clinical case study rather than a typical full on publication. This was an outcome of my clinical research and so should i dedicate a whole section for this or should I maybe speak about it in my secondaries and interviews but not waste a whole space on this publication alone?
Give it its own space. That you have any medically-related pub, and first-author at that, still carries some weight. Be aware that publications in medical center journals don't carry the same luster as those in regional or national journals, as peer review is generally assumed to be less rigorous. Also, the work behind researching and writing up a clinical vignette tends to be significantly less than that for a presentation or poster.

Do you know what peer review occurred? Adcomms won't know what your paper went through prior to gaining an acceptance, so you have to tell them.

On the application, be sure to include a link to the site where it can be found, for any med school adcomm member interested in looking it up.

Hello everyone, so basically I started out working as a clinical research associate under a pi during my junior and senior years. This was strictly research and a pub will be in press by the time I apply next cycle.

Through the research I stated above, I ultimately gave a poster presentation at a university conference. I also gave a oral/ podium presentation at a large regional conference.

The PI, further allowed me to work in her clinic, separately, which included massive amounts of UNIQUE clinical experience and patient interaction- I was paid for this too.
A) This specific work was for a total of 8 months, so is it worth keeping in my app? My concern is the length of time- I stopped because I graduated.

B) So how should I split these activities up in AMCAS? How many different slots do you think I should include?
A) Yes.

B)To tighten things up, I suggest 3 slots:
1) Employment- Medical/Clinical.
2) Research.
3) Publication. Since the data set is the same for the Podium Presentation and Poster, I'd mention them in the same space as your citation for the Publication. If the manuscript has not yet been accepted by submission time, then instead, use a Presentations space, highlighting the podium talk at the regional conference, and mentioning the local poster as an aside.

Hi, I have ten publications that I am trying to fit inside one work/activity section. I was wondering if the following format is okay? Should I make it a most meaningful activity instead? (My current most meaningful are clinical volunteering, research, and tutoring disadvantaged students)

1st Author; Insert condensed title here; Abbreviated Name of Journal; PMID 12345678
2nd; Insert title here; Name of Journal; Accepted
3rd; Insert title here; Name of Journal; PMID 12345678

I put "accepted" if it doesn't have a PMID yet.

I have ten publications that I am trying to fit inside one work/activity section. I was wondering if the following format is okay? Should I make it a most meaningful activity instead? (My current most meaningful are clinical volunteering, research, and tutoring disadvantaged students)

1st Author; Insert condensed title here; Abbreviated Name of Journal; PMID 12345678
2nd; Insert title here; Name of Journal; Accepted
3rd; Insert title here; Name of Journal; PMID 12345678

I put "accepted" if it doesn't have a PMID yet.
Using that format is fine. I'd try hard not to make it a MM entry for the purpose of having more space. Instead, to fit it all into one standard space, omit campus publications or thesis, anything where you honestly didn't put much work into it (authorship was a "gift" from the PI), or any "accepted pending major revision" papers. Or condense the journal name further.

After second author, you could switch to "Co-Author" instead of 4th, 5th or 23rd author to save characters.

I had a question about volunteering, in terms of what experiences to put on applications. I have a decent amount hospital volunteering hours at my local hospital (~150 hrs), mostly in the ER, which was a really good experience. I wanted to spend this summer getting clinical volunteer experience in other areas of a hospital, at the hospital near my campus. Unfortunately the placement I did get was solely filing/scanning/organizing patient records, which I did about 50 hours of. The only thing I could say I got out of it was that it helped me become a little more familiar with medical terminology and procedures, and obviously more familiar with keeping patient confidentiality. However, I didn’t get to interact with patients at all, or really anyone.

I wanted to stick it out as I felt like at some point, maybe I’d be given more opportunities to interact with patients, since the volunteer coordinators mentioned that I probably would, but that never happened, and I ended up leaving after finishing up the project. I’m now focusing my efforts on the other non clinical volunteering that I enjoy more, and shadowing.

So, my main questions are,
1) can this kind of volunteering even be put on medical school applications?
2) How would I talk about this on an application?
3) Can it even count as a clinical volunteering experience? It’s possible I wasted 50 hours of my time, but I’d like to think somehow I didn’t. I didn't want my volunteering this summer to be just for checking a box, but now it seems like that's what it would look like.
1) Fifty hours of medical records management is a decent amount. to list on a med school application. You also have the option of grouping it with other nonmedical short-term volunteering you might have done, if you're short on spaces.

2) Its positive impact on you, as you described, is worth mentioning.

3) Processing patient records is not a "clinical" experience for med school application purposes (even though it took place in a medical facility), but it's still a nonmedical community service of value to a med school application.

I just joined a research team in August. The research that I am apart of isn't in a lab and isn't necessarily "science" research. It does have to do with human reactions though. I was just wondering if you think that this research is okay considering it's not in a lab? I really like my research team and I find the research interesting but I don't want to waste my time if it can't count as research for med school applications.

I don't know if this matters, but with this research I also have the chance to be published. Im not sure if this is a big plus for applications or if it even matters at all.
For a research experience to add value to a med school application it need not be in a hard science discipline. What is important would be whether it's original, hypothesis-based research that uses the scientific method. And that you can explain it, if asked, at an interview.

Publications are nice to have but are rare among med school applicants. Other evidence of research productivity could be posters or podium presentations.

My undergraduate research, a project which took over 2000 hours of work in over two years, was published in a prominent peer-reviewed journal, it was presented at two separate poster conferences, and I delivered a seminar on the project. Should I enter a work experience for the research, publication and presentations separately? Or combine it all into one?

Currently I have a most meaningful experience about the project in general, which says it was published, but I plan to make another experience specifically addressing the pub. But if I were to do that, how are hours factored in? Not sure how to approach this.
If the data set was the same/similar for all the venues (pub, posters, and podium presentation), then you'd use a Publications space for the citation and note in the same space the other dates and locations where you shared it.

Number of hours listed can be zero, or the number of hours you stood by the poster or podium. Preparation time can be included in the affiliated Research space Total Hours.

If the posters and podium presentation happened on your campus, you could consider including them in the Research space and leaving the pub citation on its own under Publications.

The MD faculty who I did research for is a faculty(professor) of Chicago State School of Medicine(I am putting Chicago State as a fake name for anonymity). But he is also a part of many different "institutes" within the Chicago State University, and my research took place in "Neuroscience Institute" of the Chicago State University as his lab is physically there. This "Neuroscience Institute" isn't really an actual institution but just a name given to a Chicago State University's building that has faculty from School of Medicine, University, and different departments who collaborate and do research at "Neuroscience Institute."

So should I list "Chicago State School of Medicine" as where I did research or "Neuroscience Institute" or "Chicago State University"?
-Institution would be Chicago State University
-College within the parent institution is Chicago State School of Medicine
-Building is Neuroscience Institute
-Lab is Gomez Lab (for example), but if you use the PI as a Contact, this will be otherwise evident

The first is the most accurate, though you could use any of the above on its own. However, to make it more clear, consider combining two of the three if they will fit in the space, or including more identifying information in your narrative description.

Please lmk of any insights on my specific type of tutoring being considered leadership.

I do have other, more "traditional" forms of leadership in clubs and projects, but this is the most significant and long-term for me. I worked as a writing center tutor or for years, which I guess tutoring can be argued to be separate from leadership, but we also had many meetings required each semester for pedagogy development and had to work on our own projects as well as with teams in order to further collaborate and improve our techniques, practices etc. It felt leadership-heavy, but I'm not sure if I should just keep it separate and focus on something else for leadership
Label it Teaching/Tutoring, or Employment-Not Medical/Clinical. Even though I wouldn't consider the activity you've discussed to be the peer leadership adcomms expect to see under a Leadership tag, it's still an excellent demonstration of teamwork.

How much emphasis should I place on club involvement? A lot of my peers seem to be involved in 3+ clubs, but don't actually seem to do anything with it, just pay the requisite 5 dollars and write it down on their resume. This is really the reason why I don't have an interest in joining any clubs at my university, because I know I wouldn't do anything with it besides check off a box on my application. Besides from that, I do volunteering with local hospice and home health organizations, and am going on a aid trip to Mozambique this next summer. Is it really important for me to be involved in clubs, or should I focus on doing other things?
I think you'd be better off keeping the membership fees. Clubs are helpful to a med school application if they lead to leadership and volunteer opportunities (which can also be found off campus). They might be useful in signaling special interests to adcomms to start an interview conversation (but without adding to your candidacy). Campus clubs are not essential to a good med school application.

Hello. I have two separate research experiences and posters/presentations were produced out of both of them. I was wondering which was the best way to format this in the application. Should each experience have its own slot or be put together under one? I was thinking that I would put the research experiences under one slot and the posters produced under one slot. I won an award for one of the posters and thought I would highlight that in the posters slot as well along with the names of where the posters were presented.

Also a paper from one of these experiences is currently under review for being admitted into my school's interdisciplinary journal? Is this worth mentioning?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

I have two separate research experiences and posters/presentations were produced out of both of them.
1) I was wondering which was the best way to format this in the application. Should each experience have its own slot or be put together under one?

2) I was thinking that I would put the research experiences under one slot and the posters produced under one slot.

3) I won an award for one of the posters and thought I would highlight that in the posters slot as well along with the names of where the posters were presented.

4) Also a paper from one of these experiences is currently under review for being admitted into my school's interdisciplinary journal? Is this worth mentioning?
1) It depends on how many spaces you have at your disposal and/or how much you have to say. It's your choice to spread them out or group them. There isn't one right way to do it.

2) Each research experience deserves its own space. If you need to be somewhat space efficient, grouping the posters is a good idea. See item #20 in post 2 of this thread for exceptions.

3) I agree with the award being mentioned with the affiliated poster, to keep the context.

4) No.

Tutoring friends counts as volunteer hours?

I tutor my friends for about an hour each week, and dont make any money off it -- i basically correct essays and help w science and math classes. I have about 50 hours total now, so would i be able to list this on amcas even though i am not a registered tutor with the university?
One expects friends to help friends, so listing this activity under Community Service/this isn't the best option if you want to demonstrate your altruism. Nor does it show that you're willing to go outside your comfort zone to work with folks unlike yourself. And who would you use as a Contact to validate the activity? Is a faculty or staff member of your school aware of the activity and willing to attest to it?

As a transfer student to a 4 year university, do you think it might be useful for us to list the academic honors we received at that university? -
1. Cum/Magna/ Summa Cum Laude.
2. Honors Program and Departmental Honors

I ask because all though on our primary you will see the yearly trends, there’s no section that shows our cumulative gpa solely at the 4 year school- which is important to convey.

I go to a school with no committee letter and so i’m wondering if it’s best to include a section for the awards stated above. Your thoughts? @Catalystik
If you have an open space to use, then by all means, go ahead and list these honors. If space is tight, then it's better to include an activity that will have more impact on your candidacy with med schools, since your year-by-year GPA on the transcript is evident.

I've just committed to an on-campus club sport. Do med schools care about "Club Sports"?
1) The only concern is how med schools perceive it.
2) Do students actually have to stand out (become a captain, break records) in their D3/D1/Club sport for med schools to appreciate them?
1) Evidence of teamwork and dedication are of value.
2) No.

I've been involved with the Rotary Club for several years. During that time, I have volunteered at several organizations.

For example, I have volunteered several hundred hours with Big Brothers Big Sisters, several hundred hours at my local homeless shelter, and around 100 hours each for 3 other organizations (still with Rotary Club).

Would it be OK for me to put all of these hours under the Rotary Club? Whenever I volunteer, I always do so as a Rotary Club member, but I'm not sure if admissions would wonder why I didn't just split up BBBS and the homeless shelter into their own entries.
ROTARY CLUB (200 hrs over 5.5 years)- volunteer description

BIG BROTHERS/BIG SISTERS (250 hrs over 10 months)- volunteer description

HOMELESS SHELTER (250 hrs over 7 months)- volunteer description
While you could split it into multiple entries, I think it would have far more impact if left in one space, considering that you stayed with some organizations for less than a year. But I suggest you put the subtotaled hours before the organization names.

Like this:

Experience Type: Community Service/Volunteer - Not Medical /Clinical Most Meaningful Experience: [Yes or No]
Experience Name: Local Volunteer Opportunities Dates: [overall inclusive months] Total Hours: 700
Contact Name & Title: [whoever the Rotary Organizer might be that can attest to everything]
Organization Name: [name of Rotary Club branch]
City/Country: [whatever]
Experience Description:
250 hours [10 month date range] Big Brother/Big Sister : Brief role info
250 hours [7 month date range] Homeless Shelter: Brief role info
200 hours [5.5 year inclusive date range] [Names of the 3 other organizations}: Brief role info

Any impact statement that might apply across all organizations in another paragraph.

Edit: I tried to make it appear like it would on AMCAS, but the SDN platform removed my formatting so it isn't spread out the same.

Last edited:
Is it worth mentioning that I am an avid climber, led student groups hiking, and climbed 2 of the seven summits and Mt Fuji? I don't know if these really count as leadership as compared to some of my other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.