Official April 2004 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms2209

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, the wait is finally over...I ended up with a 32 S :D pretty much as predicted by my practice exams!

BS: 11
VS: 11
PS: 10

Members don't see this ad.

redgrover said:
VR: 15
PS: 12
BS: 13

40S

Don't let those pre-med advisers tell you that majoring in art history is going to screw you for med school!!! :D

I'm really numb right now. I'm guessing the shock is going to wear off in about half an hour???? :confused:

15 in VR! Props to you. That is awesome. Congrats

willthatsall said:
Dude, you're not dumb at all. That's a really good score, if you didn't already know.

willthatsall: Tell me you're joking...right?

To the rest of you: How surreal - after 60 days of not-so-patient waiting, here we are. Congrats to everyone, and good luck with the rest of the path!

rhino305 said:
12 VR
12 PS
09 BS
N WS

33N

I hope I added that right... still shaking... ahhhhhh :laugh:

Why would you need to add? The total score is reported for you. Unless... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I got a 31N, which is lower than my practice tests. Im pretty disappointed, but I guess thats alright. I was really gunning for a 35, but I missed that by a long shot apparently. Oh well.

30M (8V 12P 10B) :)

About the same as my practice tests. Hope its enough! Good luck to all. :thumbup:

-tx

:D Congratulations, everyone!

Damn, all of these 34+ and even 40+ :eek: scores are making me nervous here, and I don't even have to worry about this evil test for at least a year lol.

:clap:

Daedalus said:
:D Congratulations, everyone!

Damn, all of these 34+ and even 40+ :eek: scores are making me nervous here, and I don't even have to worry about this evil test for at least a year lol.

:clap:

I'm afraid Satan is too busy being in cahoots with law school admissions to care about the medical school application cycle.

:( :( 9,9,9 27O w/out using kaplan or TPR, not horrible. What do I do? As an AZ res I only have one state school. Maybe that is enough?

tegs15 said:
:( :( 9,9,9 27O w/out using kaplan or TPR, not horrible. What do I do? As an AZ res I only have one state school. Maybe that is enough?

maybe... prob depends on the gpa. Im in a similar situation 8,9,10 with a 3.8. I havent decided if im gonna retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
10 VS
10 BS
9 PS
O WS

Is that good enough? I don't want to retake if I don't have to!! I have a 3.75 gpa, resident of WI looking to get into Madison.

Medikit said:
Do you have below a 3.1 or are you being sarcastic?

No I'm not, don't get me wrong.

I was hitting high 14s and 15s on the VR practice tests - supposedly my forte.

There go my chances of Hopkins or Harvard

Dude Hopkins and Harvard avg MCAT scores are right about 11 on each section. They care about everything else. A 39 will get you into Wash U in St. Louis, but apply there too, you never know! :luck:

TripleDegree said:
No I'm not, don't get me wrong.

I was hitting high 14s and 15s on the VR practice tests - supposedly my forte.

There go my chances of Hopkins or Harvard

Ah now I get it, I'm a student at Chico State and love it, so I guess I don't really understand the attraction to big name schools.

I'd like to congratulate you on your score, I'm sorry that you aren't happy with it. :(

I just wanted to congratulate everyone and thank everyone. I'm very happy with my

PS: 11
VR: 9
BS: 10
WR: L

Best of Luck to all

iggyboop said:
willthatsall: Tell me you're joking...right?

The guy said he was dumb because he got a 41! A 41! I guess he must have thought it was graded out of 100, so I was telling him 41 is a good score, that's all! :thumbup:

monopolova said:
hey dummy, you posted a different high score in another thread. it's not funny anymore

Personally, I think the funny part was not the high score, but rather the fact that he put 45 and then proceeded to give his individual scores for each section as well. Not a bad joke, IMO. :thumbup:

TripleDegree said:
33Q here :(

Verbal was the big letdown (11) as was BS(10)

Hope I make it in somewhere

keep hoping. no way you're getting in w/ an mcat in the 92nd or so percentile.

sheesh.

33R

VR: 8 :( :( :( :(
PS: 13
BS: 12

Should I retake or am I alright for the mid-tier schools? I was really expecting a 35 (with a 10 in verbal) but oh well.

on my diags i got a 35 on 5r, 34 on 6r, 34 on 7r with 10 each time in verbal and 12's and 13's in sciences

My GPA is low (~3.0) and here are my scores:
VR 10
PS 10
BS 11
WS O

I'm not retaking and I'll be praying constantly until the application process is over. I have made my mistakes and its not in my hands any longer (for this cycle). If I have to go back to the drawing board, so be it. The Caribbean sounds nice though........

34 Q (10V 12P 12B)
Taking time to sink in (wanted a 35, but after only studying 3.5 weeks, I think I lucked out!) :D

PS. I am the ultimate procrastinator

ghgi8 said:
28Q

11 BS
9 PS
8 VR

I posted this in the other thread but guess I'll post it here too. I didnt really study much for the MCAT so I guess I am content with these scores. I need some advice on whether I should retake in August or try to apply with this score. I am a FL resident and my GPA is 3.86. I have good LOR's and decent EC's. I'm taking some summer classes now which would take away from studying time. Please help me....
go for it

willthatsall said:
The guy said he was dumb because he got a 41! A 41! I guess he must have thought it was graded out of 100, so I was telling him 41 is a good score, that's all! :thumbup:

Maybe you read his post too fast: "41R - I have been staring at the screen for 15 min. I'm dumbfounded."

But if you still don't understand: dumbfounded

that is, utterly surprised. :oops:

By the way, congrats, chopper! That's a great accomplishment!

PS: 13
VR: 9
BS: 11
WS: Q

Kinda disappointed about BS and VR. I had been making consistant 13s in BS and 10s and 11s in VR. Oh well. I am surprised at my WS... I didn't practice at all.

I suppose the 9 won't keep me out... and I should be happy :confused:

10V
10P
10B
whooo hooo. I never would have thought in a thousand years my verbal and biological would have been the same, in all of my practice tests I was scoring like 12's on Bio and 7's on verbal. The last practice test I took two weeks before the MCAT was a 24. So it just goes to show you how unpredictable the bastard really is

I was getting 35's on my last 3 practice tests, the real deal
BS-11
PS-9
V-7 WTF!!!!!!!!!! 7!!!!!!!!

total: 27O

im so ****ing drunk now i dont know what the hell i should do

V 11
P 14
B 14
W P
Total 39

With a fulltime job, 5 years out of college, and English as second launguage, I guess I should be happy.

Qinnu

premyo2002 said:
BS-11
PS-9

Dude I got f**** too. Dunno what to do! this is BS :mad:

qinnu said:
V 11
P 14
B 14
W P
Total 39

With a fulltime job, 5 years out of college, and English as second launguage, I guess I should be happy.

Qinnu

To say the least. Congratulations. If I may ask, what do you do?

last august: 29P (10PS, 9V, 10BS)
this april: 36Q (14PS, 10V, 12BS)

to people unhappy about their score who are going to retake: i know you feel like **** right now. i am sorry, i feel your pain of disappointment. But just remember that studying the second time is easier and you will be better prepared to study and take the actual exam. you can improve a lot!

Got 33 P (13PS 08VR 12BS)

After I displayed the scores ..... I was shaking like anything.....my heart was beating so fast ....... Thank God it is over now ........ I know VR is low but we will see about that......

Isn't it scary that the last two AAMC tests nailed it pretty close (if u pick the best scores of the two tests ..... well I know there is not much choice in that verbal section :) )

AAMC 6R 32 (12PS 08VR 12BS)
AAMC 7R 32 (13PS 08VR 11BS)

premyo2002 said:
BS-11
PS-9

I know exactly how you feel. I was scoring 33-34 on the REAL practice MCATs (4R,5R, etc.) and I got DICKED on the real thing (same score). This F***ing sucks.

Now I wish I had prepared better for this thing, I definitely took it too lightly.

Anyway, I just wanted opinions from people. I know I'm going to have to take it again if I want a chance to get into the top medical schools. Right now I have a NEAR perfect GPA(~ 4.0) at University of Michigan with a Biomedical Engineering major. Think anyone medical school would over look my fumble on the MCATs and place more weight on my GPA?

On studying for this again, for those of you that did well and took TPR. Did you guys just use the TPR books or additional materials? I'm thinking about just using the material I have from them and getting books with practice MCATs. I think my problem was that my best scores on the practice exams was when I took the exam in the afternoon. I know it's a piss-poor excuse, but people keep on telling me that my sleep-wake cycle has to be in-synce with the MCATs. I didn't really believe in it, but I guess not believing kinda screwed me. Any thought on whether or not the sleeping cycle thing really effects your score that much?

Well...August MCATs..here I come..Good luck to those studying for those...

I got a 25R... :( :(
Averaging 33 on TPR practice tests!! How could this happen? Studying again for the August just seems impossible right now. :scared:

I'll play:
12 BS
11 PS
9 VR
WR O

Strangely I had never scored below a 13 on the VR section before the real thing... Arrrgh! But no way in heck am I retaking!
-K

Let's join in
12 BS
14 PS
8 VR
S WS

Give applications a shot this year, might rewrite next aug.. not lookin forward to that!

dchan5 said:
I know exactly how you feel. I was scoring 33-34 on the REAL practice MCATs (4R,5R, etc.) and I got DICKED on the real thing (same score). This F***ing sucks.

Now I wish I had prepared better for this thing, I definitely took it too lightly.

Anyway, I just wanted opinions from people. I know I'm going to have to take it again if I want a chance to get into the top medical schools. Right now I have a NEAR perfect GPA(~ 4.0) at University of Michigan with a Biomedical Engineering major. Think anyone medical school would over look my fumble on the MCATs and place more weight on my GPA?

On studying for this again, for those of you that did well and took TPR. Did you guys just use the TPR books or additional materials? I'm thinking about just using the material I have from them and getting books with practice MCATs. I think my problem was that my best scores on the practice exams was when I took the exam in the afternoon. I know it's a piss-poor excuse, but people keep on telling me that my sleep-wake cycle has to be in-synce with the MCATs. I didn't really believe in it, but I guess not believing kinda screwed me. Any thought on whether or not the sleeping cycle thing really effects your score that much?

Well...August MCATs..here I come..Good luck to those studying for those...

Dchan- sorry to hear about the score, but with that kind of GPA from Michigan - good on you. That is going to carry you far.

I did TPR, and did it with a vengeance. I was trying to pull up a less than stellar GPA (I'm a post-bac), and knew I needed to have a killer MCAT to get noticed.

I've got to say, I'm a TPR convert. They do some things that seem a bit cheesy, but I've got to admit, it works. Bottom line, you need to do what works for you, but I know from my own experience that sometimes what you 'think' works for you is just you being stubborn and not wanting to change. When I finally 'gave in to the dark side', my practice scores started shooting up.

If you are taking Princeton, this is what I'd recommend:
1. Go to all your classes. Hopefully you have 'good' teachers. Material is important, but those ICCs are key too. They should be telling you about strategies to get right answers EVEN IF you have no clue how to solve (dimensional analysis, process of elimination, how to do ranking questions, etc).

2. After every single practice test - come home, check your answers against the key, and then go over every single wrong answer (and 'guess' that you go right - make sure to mark you booklet with both the answer you put down and how confident you were). This is SO important. I think you get 80% of the benefit of diagnostics by doing this self-evaluation. It will tell you where you are weak from a material point as well as a 'strategy' point (where you are falling for trap answers, that sort of thing).

3. I know this sounds corny, but convince yourself, day in and day out, that you own this stupid test. I don't know how much this really helped, but it kept me from fraying around the edges as time got near. And, I think it helps your self-confidence and will keep you on track in the middle of the test and keep you from second guessing yourself.

Congrats to everyone doing so well out there. I wish you all the best of luck. See you on the application trail.

-chop