Official April 2004 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms2209

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, the wait is finally over...I ended up with a 32 S :D pretty much as predicted by my practice exams!

BS: 11
VS: 11
PS: 10

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone! I was spared by the beast, since our epic battle was last year, but I just wanted to call attention to the fact that almost everybody here is in nearly the top 10% of scores! Those of you that got high 20's: That's not too shabby either and you certainly will not be kept out of medical school for that. I don't have any friends who broke 30 and they are all going to medical school! Congrats!

And then you peeps in the high 30's and - gasp - low 40's.. well, you rocked this puppy hard. I am not worthy..

What was the average scores for each of the subsections on the MCAT. The scores in this thread seem quasi-ridiculous. Not meaning to rain-down on anyone, just staggered by the number of people with above 30 scores, considering a retake.

Oh, and congrats to everyone. :D :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
14V
11P
Q
12B

37Q... Around the total I was getting on practices. My PS was usually 12-13 though but looks like my V made up for it... I never made a 14 during the practices. I would have preferred 13 12 12 but alas. Ok, before I get flamed for "you should be happy, jerk!" or whatever -- I'm just venting. I am happy!

Did poorly...again...this is my second time taking it. Verbal totally screwed me over...did fine otherwise. I will no longer be applying this cycle because I will definitely have to take it again if I am going to apply. I am now contemplating whether I will be doing that though. I'm not upset, just more confused about "what next?" than anything else. Maybe this is not what I am supposed to be doing. :confused:

SaltySqueegee said:
What was the average scores for each of the subsections on the MCAT.
Hi Salty!

Oh hey Salty, what are you doing here?

Oh, nothin' ... just hangin out, waiting for someone to post the Percentile scores for the April 2004 MCAT.

Cool, sounds like fun.

Yeah, it's not all what's cracked up to be.

Shouldn't you be reading articles for your research?

Yeah, but my brain hurts, so I'm clicking refresh on this thread instead.

Cool, well, I gotta run; take it easy Salty.

Yeah, see you around.

SaltySqueegee said:
What was the average scores for each of the subsections on the MCAT. The scores in this thread seem quasi-ridiculous. Not meaning to rain-down on anyone, just staggered by the number of people with above 30 scores, considering a retake.

Oh, and congrats to everyone. :D :thumbup:

Salty, as someone else mentioned, I think that people who did well are more likely to post scores. So, the scores you see here are probably skewed way high. Plus, I think SDN in general has the more neurotic pre-med types. So, take the posted numbers with a grain of salt. The national average is still around 24.7, and I think the average admitted student had about a 28. Numbers from AAMC . . . .

Congratulations everyone!!! :D :thumbup: Looks like you really kicked some serious butt!

P-9
V-11
B-10

30M

Considering I worked too slow and didn't get to 11 PS questions, I'll take by 9. Thought I could write better than "M" though...hopefully med schools won't care.

chopper said:
Salty, as someone else mentioned, I think that people who did well are more likely to post scores. So, the scores you see here are probably skewed way high. Plus, I think SDN in general has the more neurotic pre-med types. So, take the posted numbers with a grain of salt. The national average is still around 24.7, and I think the average admitted student had about a 28. Numbers from AAMC . . . .

True, but from taking the MCAT back Aug. of 02', the posted scores seem to have jumped. Maybe the SDNer's are getting more neurotic? -or-did the testing results get skewed for 04'

All I could find on the AAMC website was the Aug 03 percentiles. However, I do know that when you get your scores, as in the latest and greatest April 04' scores, they provide you with the percentiles for that test.

Thanks, and yes I think my essential hypertension might be from the mountain salt I have consumed since I started this process of becoming a physician... :rolleyes:

SaltySqueegee said:
True, but from taking the MCAT back Aug. of 02', the posted scores seem to have jumped. Maybe the SDNer's are getting more neurotic? -or-did the testing results get skewed for 04'

All I could find on the AAMC website was the Aug 03 percentiles. However, I do know that when you get your scores, as in the latest and greatest April 04' scores, they provide you with the percentiles for that test.

Thanks, and yes I think my essential hypertension might be from the mountain salt I have consumed since I started this process of becoming a physician... :rolleyes:

Ha, yeah, the average MCAT of posters here has got to be like 10 points higher than the national average... I do wonder if the actual percentiles have changed... like if a 36 was a 95th percentile in Aug 2003 and is a 92nd percentile in April 2004, and a 40 is now 97th percentile instead of 99th... But gosh, I hope not! I don't want my Aug 2003 score swamped by a deluge of high scores... also, I doubt that the percentiles of scores have changed much, because isn't that what scaling is all about? Ok, outta here...

VR: 11
PS: 13
BS: 12
WS: Q

Total: 36Q

I was surprised I did so well on PS, considering I took Gen Chem about 7 years ago and I haven't even taken Physics II yet!

I was a philosophy major....don't think you have to have a degree in Biology to do well on the MCAT!

First off, CONGRATULATIONS to everyone on their KICKASS scores!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

As for me, i was smited by the aamc gods. guess this is their way of testing me to see if i could take my own advice on good or bad scores. got the SAME EXACT total as i did the first time i took it (up 1 pt in phys, down 1 pt in verbal) and it's below 30. :( uuurrrgg!... even my practice results were higher and avg in the low 30's. :( siigh.

anyhow, i'm closing this hard-fought, albeit disappointing, mcat chapter of my med school apps. not taking the bad boy for a third time because i felt i really tried hard to do better and it just wasn't meant to be. it'll be okay... i know a few doors have shut for me but i'm gonna keep my chin up and look forward... write me an amazing personal statement, apply this cycle and hopefully get in somewhere. :oops: wish me luck folks!

Members don't see this ad :)
leechy said:
Ha, yeah, the average MCAT of posters here has got to be like 10 points higher than the national average... I do wonder if the actual percentiles have changed... like if a 36 was a 95th percentile in Aug 2003 and is a 92nd percentile in April 2004, and a 40 is now 97th percentile instead of 99th... But gosh, I hope not! I don't want my Aug 2003 score swamped by a deluge of high scores... also, I doubt that the percentiles of scores have changed much, because isn't that what scaling is all about? Ok, outta here...

That's what I'm thinking.

So it probably is the fact that the SDN community is either more neurotic, or more compulsed to lying. Probably a combination of the two. :laugh: :D

I'm personally leaning more towards neurotic :laugh:

congrats guys and to those who aren't happy with their scores, just don't give up!! keep your heads up and keep stepping forward. this is for you guys but its cutting me too!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Managed to avoid checking THx last night...and this morning when I woke up at four and couldn't go back to sleep (didn't want to face another nightmare where I got an 8 in phys sci and had to retake)...but finally at seven I couldn't hold out any more. It's been three hours but I'm still in shock:

15 VR
11 PS
12 BS
Q WS

OH. MY. GOD. I got a 38Q. I have to be dreaming.

I cannot believe this. The highest I ever got on practice tests was a 32. In fact, the only part of the test that I thought I did well on after test day was the writing sample! (Embarrassingly enough, I'm kind of pissed I didn't do better on the writing sample, but WTF, who cares??? I got a 38!) :oops: I had to guess on about ten PS questions because I was working so slowly (I've never yet finished a PS section--I always have to guess on at least six questions.) I don't know, I guess those review classes work after all.

Congratulations to everyone! I am so proud of us! :D And to those who will be retaking, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. You can do it! We are all rooting for you!

Hey

Congrats on the great scores...

First of all..for those of you whining that you only got a 30. KNOCK IT OFF. Just be glad you didn't get a 20. OK?

Second of all...Just becase you got over a 30 doesn't mean that you are going to med school. Yes, you are going to INTERVIEW at med schools, but NO it doesn't mean they are going to like you. Got it.

To those who got below a 30: You guys have just as much of a chance of getting in to med school then the ones who got 30+.

Med schools look at the WHOLE PACKAGE and not just your MCAT score.

GoNavy said:
P-9
V-11
B-10

30M

Considering I worked too slow and didn't get to 11 PS questions, I'll take by 9. Thought I could write better than "M" though...hopefully med schools won't care.

I'm in the same boat as you.

10 VS
9 PS
10 BS
29O

I didn't get to about 10 PS questions too, so, i'll take my 9 in that, but I was hoping my BS and VS would have been a point or two higher, as well as WS. I don't know what to think about retaking. I think I could do better, but is it worth it, especially since those apps have got to be in as early as possible (pretty much right now!) is a 29O good enough? all you people with 35's are making me pretty nervous!!

Congratulations to everyone on their awesome, awesome scores.

I have a similar score to akpete, but 10's across the board and a less than stellar 3.3 gpa, should i be taking this again? i graduated from Umass amherst 2 years ago and have been doing lab work, and volunteering abroad, some medical publications. truth is I voided my august 2003 mcats when i realized i was way to rusty, needed some serious work. 33 was my magic number but i really dont want to blow another summer on this. should i just apply? apply and then take again in august anyway? whoa im going nuts

also congrats to everyone, regardless of score that beast is an ordeal in itself. anyone who says 8 hours (thats how long it took my test site) of standardized testing, asking frenzied questions requiering you to bubble in your fate with a no.2 pencil isnt an ordeal is full of it. Im going to buy myself a motorcycle now.

9V
12P
11B

32R
i was hoping to pull a ten in verbal, but i really jave nothing to complain about. I got a solid score, and combined with a good gpa and life experiences, I should get some bites from a few quality schools. congratulations to everyone who studied hard and took this test. i am amazed at the results here, but to everybody dissatisfied with their score, this is not a fair cross section of applicants, so don't despair. somebody else listed the avg of md matriculants, and it is below 30. stay positive. i have a friend who scored a 26 like ten years ago and now he is neurosurgery resident at hopkins. this is just one step in the path to becoming a physician. good luck to everybody applying!

captbadass

akpete said:
I'm in the same boat as you.

10 VS
9 PS
10 BS
29O

I didn't get to about 10 PS questions too, so, i'll take my 9 in that, but I was hoping my BS and VS would have been a point or two higher, as well as WS. I don't know what to think about retaking. I think I could do better, but is it worth it, especially since those apps have got to be in as early as possible (pretty much right now!) is a 29O good enough? all you people with 35's are making me pretty nervous!!

Congratulations to everyone on their awesome, awesome scores.

Do not retake! Unless you can improve by 3 or 4 points, the gain will be outweighted by the later application. It is extremely helpful to get in your application early, otherwise, by the time you get to an interview the class may be full and you'll be interviewing for a slot on the waiting list. And, most schools don't care too much about the WS. Finally, is the pain of studying again and retaking it worth it??? I think not.

SaltySqueegee said:
Hi Salty!

Oh hey Salty, what are you doing here?

Oh, nothin' ... just hangin out, waiting for someone to post the Percentile scores for the April 2004 MCAT.

Cool, sounds like fun.

Yeah, it's not all what's cracked up to be.

Shouldn't you be reading articles for your research?

Yeah, but my brain hurts, so I'm clicking refresh on this thread instead.

Cool, well, I gotta run; take it easy Salty.

Yeah, see you around.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/table0404.pdf

I'm sure someone must have posted this by now but oh well...
(percentages and scaled scores table for April 2004 MCAT)

14 P
15 V
14 B

43R

Shocked and amazed here.

I know this sounds stupid coming from me, but honestly what everyone else said is right - SDN is filled with neurotic premeds, plus only the people who do well want to post their scores. Go by the chart someone else posted when you're comparing your scores. You're hanging out with the chess team in here.

Does anyone else not believe that? I heard 42 was the highest ever...or 43, either way, that would be the only 43 in the country. I am happy with my 12 12 7V...even though the 7 scares me. Everyone on here seems to have done well, good work!

I don't think I posted mine yet.. mine two were higher than my practice tests..

10 - PS (a little disappointing for me because I was doing awesome here)
11 - VR (a relief because I panicked in the middle of the section)
14 - BS (are you KIDDING?????? - I hadn't even finished bio 2nd semester yet, let alone genetics, biochem... and I was still finishing up ochem)

35Q - damn, now I can't get my refund from Kaplan (j/k)

Audio osmosis rocks!

P.S. probably doesn't matter too much anyway, because I have no research and my clinical is limited to volunteering... but I am going to be working full time at the hospital starting a couple of weeks in the ER... so i should have stuff to talk about then.... oh and I am in no clubs because I was studying my arse off... but I think I will be going somewhere....

akpete said:
10 VS
10 BS
9 PS
O WS

Is that good enough? I don't want to retake if I don't have to!! I have a 3.75 gpa, resident of WI looking to get into Madison.

Actually, I go to the UW and I know for a fact they give credit to 30's and above. Its on this 6 point system where out of state people start at 0, we start at 3...half a point for the MCAT, so there is still a chance, but it wouldnt hurt to go above 30.

adamj61 said:
Does anyone else not believe that? I heard 42 was the highest ever...or 43, either way, that would be the only 43 in the country. I am happy with my 12 12 7V...even though the 7 scares me. Everyone on here seems to have done well, good work!

I don't know if I believe it either. Let's do the math. 0.0% of the people that took the MCAT got a 43. That doesn't mean no one did, but it would have to be something lower than 0.0%. Let's say for the sake of argument that 0.04% of the people taking the test got a 43. Overall 27,586 people took the test, so 0.04% of 27,586 = 11 people.

So this person is one of the 11 people, if there were even 11?! From 42 through 45, the MCAT chart shows 0.0% of the people achieved these scores...

It seems a little inhuman to get a 15 on VR. Seems almost impossible to me with the amount of perfection one would have to have with such ambiguous questions.

WOW!!!!! you all did great! congratulations!!!!!!!!

for all of you who are nervous about all the incredibly high scores on this thread, don't worry. people who get high scores love to psot them. people who got average scores tend to be more reserved. if you got 30+, you should be set, and plenty of people in the upper 20's will get in too.

CONGRATS AGAIN!!! :D

dnelsen said:
I don't know if I believe it either. Let's do the math. 0.0% of the people that took the MCAT got a 43. That doesn't mean no one did, but it would have to be something lower than 0.0%. Let's say for the sake of argument that 0.04% of the people taking the test got a 43. Overall 27,586 people took the test, so 0.04% of 27,586 = 11 people.

So this person is one of the 11 people, if there were even 11?! From 42 through 45, the MCAT chart shows 0.0% of the people achieved these scores...

I didn't believe it when I looked at the score report; I had to keep checking back to see if they were playing a cruel joke. So I'm not offended that you don't believe me. I could PM you a screen shot if you want though :)

Seems like there must be something wrong with your math, but hell if I can see it.

lorelei said:
I didn't believe it when I looked at the score report; I had to keep checking back to see if they were playing a cruel joke. So I'm not offended that you don't believe me. I could PM you a screen shot if you want though :)

Seems like there must be something wrong with your math, but hell if I can see it.

I'm not calling you a liar...I have no doubt that a VERY select few got a 42 or higher (and I think my math is correct).

If you are for real and not a troll then you are truly one of the elite!

And actually, yes, lets see a screen shot....

PS: 12
VR: 13
BS: 13
WS: L

38 :-D L :-(

I am applying to MD/PhD programs... I have no idea how I received an "L"!! I have always been told I am an excellent writer. I'd like to get some people's opinions on whether or not I will get an interview. Btw, I have a 3.79 GPA and am a Molecular Biology major.

Thanks!
Denny

I'll play too:
9P
13V
12B

34Q :) I was surprised, even though my diags predicted 32-34, I thought the very highest I'd get was 33 (I thought I bombed physics). I will definitely reccomend TPR now!

dcm37 said:
PS: 12
VR: 13
BS: 13
WS: L

38 :-D L :-(

I am applying to MD/PhD programs... I have no idea how I received an "L"!! I have always been told I am an excellent writer. I'd like to get some people's opinions on whether or not I will get an interview. Btw, I have a 3.79 GPA and am a Molecular Biology major.

Thanks!
Denny

You will be fine, you missed the tasks like I did (also have an L). If your other grades and essays are good, you should be fine in American schools.

Hey guys,

First off, I'm just blown away by all these spectacular scores, congrats! Just hoping for a bit of advice: I got 11BS 10PS 9VS and QWS, for a total of 30Q, and I'm from Illinois. Does anyone think I should be retaking this Aug.?

lorelei said:

SCREENSHOT!

I saw it too, I dub her the MCAT Queen of SDN. Mad props...good luck at harvard

blz said:
I saw it too, I dub her the MCAT Queen of SDN. Mad props...good luck at harvard

Just for kicks, Harvard's average MCAT is about 33. I know a guy with a 42 from my school who got rejected from Harvard, yet I know someone with a 32 (non-URM) who got in. Harvard and Hopkins are not as numbers focused as much as you may think. However, WashU on the other hand... ;)