***Official April 2006 MCAT Practice Test and Verbal 101 Test Scores***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
that's a good thing. But don't stress if you are getting and 11 in verbal because with an 11 in verbal and high scores in the other two areas, like 12+, you can still get a 35+. As long as you get at least 10 or 11 in Verbal you'll be ok. Don't stress.

I'm trying not too. But I'm funny in the sense that I'm only competitive against myself. So now that I know I can get an 11 I want to better that. I know - it's just a personality quirk of mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anastasis said:
I'm trying not too. But I'm funny in the sense that I'm only competitive against myself. So now that I know I can get an 11 I want to better that. I know - it's just a personality quirk of mine.

How about you do better and transfer the extra points over to me? :oops:

My VR performance is waning, wtf :eek:

Took two this week the #4, and #5 practice FL Kaplan verbal (the ones that have a scale)

#4 - 48/60 11 (Thurs)
#5 - 52/60 13 (Fri)

8 wrong and I still got a 13 ? I'll take it, but I don't know how realistic it is... but liking the predictions with 6 months left :)

Can someone explain the EK verbal strategy, it seems really interesting, better than the kaplan...

UMP said:
Took two this week the #4, and #5 practice FL Kaplan verbal (the ones that have a scale)

#4 - 48/60 11 (Thurs)
#5 - 52/60 13 (Fri)

8 wrong and I still got a 13 ? I'll take it, but I don't know how realistic it is... but liking the predictions with 6 months left :)

Can someone explain the EK verbal strategy, it seems really interesting, better than the kaplan...

EK is great. A bit too difficult to type into a post; I'd suggest going to B&N and looking at it to see if you like it.

they carry EK at B&N ? News to me, will do...

EK #1 : 44/60 9 Thought this was going to be my strong suit. :mad:

I finished with 13 minutes to go and did not go back to change anything....a bad idea as I had one passage which I could have guessed on and probably done better getting a jump on my Superbowl festivities. I recently purchased this book but it does not have any strategy, if anyone could give me a quick summary I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

WOS

Anastasis said:
huh - the one here did. Maybe it was a special order or something?

That's weird.

I guess it's just regional. I don't live in a big city.

WideOpenSpaces said:
I recently purchased this book but it does not have any strategy, if anyone could give me a quick summary I would appreciate it.

Basically it's just using common sense. Read for the main idea and not specific details, be confident, read critically, understand the arguments. Don't underline, just read straight through. Make sure you read the question thoroughly and understand what it's asking; the correct answer choice has to answer the question. Don't get swayed by wrong answer choices.

Easier said than done, huh? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
:smuggrin:
Teerawit said:
Basically it's just using common sense. Read for the main idea and not specific details, be confident, read critically, understand the arguments. Don't underline, just read straight through. Make sure you read the question thoroughly and understand what it's asking; the correct answer choice has to answer the question. Don't get swayed by wrong answer choices.

Easier said than done, huh? :laugh:

Pretty much. I feel like I over-analyze which is probably pretty common among premeds and a little more so for me as I have an accounting background.

Well, I will try to work on my common sense....that ain't so common. :laugh:

UMP said:

#4 - 48/60 11 (Thurs)
#5 - 52/60 13 (Fri)

Basically, it is reading carefully the first time and not referring back to the passage at all is the gist I got.

I highly suggest for everyone using EK's strategy to look at the verbal section of the Kaplan Complete MCAT(BIG BOOK). EK uses a strategy where you look at answer stems for clues. Kaplan uses a strategy where you use the question stem for clues. Kaplan's strategy is far superior, more reliable, and easier to use in my opinion. It's only about 5 pages with explanations and example of one passage. Take notes in the library or Barnes & Noble.

:luck:

HunterGatherer said:
I highly suggest for everyone using EK's strategy to look at the verbal section of the Kaplan Complete MCAT(BIG BOOK). EK uses a strategy where you look at answer stems for clues. Kaplan uses a strategy where you use the question stem for clues. Kaplan's strategy is far superior, more reliable, and easier to use in my opinion. It's only about 5 pages with explanations and example of one passage. Take notes in the library or Barnes & Noble.

Gracias, will give it a try.

HunterGatherer said:

What is Kaplan's strategy???

I looked and did not see it. You mentioned the 6 types of answer stems but did not go into detail. If anyone is really interested you should go to the library and take notes, look at the example they give you, and take note of what is in High Yield Boxes in the margin. This is only about 5 minutes of reading and I think it is best to see it presented in it's orginal format.

If you go into the MCAT forum and read LukeWhite's posts in the verbal thread you will see him describing 1-2 of the question stem types. Or do a search under that user and verbal.

Brett,

going back to your site a second time yielded only this:
"I won't go into the details of each type due to length but I suggest you buy/find/borrow a copy of the book."

anyhow here they are:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=189285&highlight=verbal

specifically post #4 and #5 for what I mentioned:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=223930

BrettBatchelor said:
I have a pretty comprehensive review of the Kaplan strategy in my blog (linked below). Check about Day 2-3.

I no longer have my big Kaplan Comprehensive book, but I can look at the new edition at Barnes and Nobles, since I'm aobut to head out ther to study for my anatomy test that I have on Wednesday. Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look and try whichever strategy works best for me.

Good luck to all of you.

BTW, I'm thinking about taking it in August instead, but I'll see what happens. For all of you in April, good luck on the test.

I might not be on SDN a lot except at late night cuz I have a lot to study. So ttyl.

gujuDoc said:
I no longer have my big Kaplan Comprehensive book, but I can look at the new edition at Barnes and Nobles, since I'm aobut to head out ther to study for my anatomy test that I have on Wednesday. Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look and try whichever strategy works best for me.

Good luck to all of you.

BTW, I'm thinking about taking it in August instead, but I'll see what happens. For all of you in April, good luck on the test.

I might not be on SDN a lot except at late night cuz I have a lot to study. So ttyl.

good luck w/ anatomy guju :)

Took the 1st full-length Kaplan verbal today. I got a 46/60, not too great but hey, I've got 10 more to go! I wish there was a conversion chart for it, looking at the others it would be like a 10-11, but they might not be accurate.

Kaplan tests:

Section Test 3 - 49/60
Section Test 4 - 52/60

They don't come with scaled score charts so I can only speculate...

Do any of you think these tests are atypical of Kaplan or what? :scared:

BrettBatchelor said:
I took VR Test 1 out of the Kaplan Comprehensive Review Book.

50/60. No scale included but compared to a few aamc and kaplan scales it is a 10-11.

Did your exam talk about the Muzaq company and the benefits of that elevator/dentist office music? I also finished like 7 minutes early which is not normal. Your description just reminded me of my experience. If your test is the same test as the Kaplan FL #1 then here is the conversion:

49-51 -->9
52-53 -->10

DF38 said:
Took the 1st full-length Kaplan verbal today. I got a 46/60, not too great but hey, I've got 10 more to go! I wish there was a conversion chart for it, looking at the others it would be like a 10-11, but they might not be accurate.

Again, here's the conversion:

42-45 -->7
46-48 -->8
49-51 -->9

jj08 said:
Did your exam talk about the Muzaq company and the benefits of that elevator/dentist office music? I also finished like 7 minutes early which is not normal. Your description just reminded me of my experience. If your test is the same test as the Kaplan FL #1 then here is the conversion:

49-51 -->9
52-53 -->10

42-45 -->7
46-48 -->8
49-51 -->9
Mine wasn't a full-length test, it was just a verbal section. It was from the verbal reasoning book for the Kaplan course (don't know if that's different from their materials that aren't part of the course). And mine definitely had no passage on elevator music. Thanks for trying, though!

Anastasis said:
Are those stand alone Kaplan verbal tests or part of the kaplan full-length MCATs?

Standalone, only available to students in a Kaplan course.

How much harder is TPR compared to AAMC?

The first two diagnostics that I took were on minimal studying and granted..for the first test, i barely remembered any formulas from the summer.

Here are my scores...they're terrible but, oh well...

4951 PS-6; VR-8; BS-8
4521 PS-8; VR-6; BS-8

The scary part is that my scores tend to fluctuate...and even though i was doing super on the practice tests (32 average)...i ended up with a 8-6-9...which is scarily close to the scores above...

Any tips/suggestions/thoughts as to how I can improve???

I find that when i review the VR with more time...i can complete the answers more accurately. Maybe I should try finishing less passages and guessing on one?

**Just copied this into a more related thread "TPR scares me"**

jj08 said:

49-51 -->9
52-53 -->10

42-45 -->7
46-48 -->8
49-51 -->9
Mine was from the Big Kaplan Book and only a VR.

44/60 - 9 EK #1 finished w/ 13 minutes left
42/60 - 9 EK #2 Did not get through all passages.

Guessed on 1 entire passage w/o reading and made out pretty well getting 2/6 correct and skimmed last passage and missed 2/6. So overall, even if I had more time the best I could have done would have been a 48/60 = 10.

I was trying to use the TPR strategy (1st time to do so) and I ran out of time, whereas before I took the 1st test without using any prescribed strategy and did about the same. I am ordering the EK verbal book to look at their strategy and get a little more practice.

Does anyone have any positive stories about starting EK scores and actual scores (I am feeling a little hopeless)? I have read that the actual scores usually fall at your average on EK.......that sucks for me. +pissed+

Y'all have a good weekend.

WOS

As I said earlier in this thread, I have been using the EK tactics and my raw score has been steadily improving. I know you read this a ton but EK really really helps, and the practice will help you too.

On a side note, I took EK #4 today under what my imagination could come up with as worse possible testing conditions (I did it at the clinic with the phone ringing people coming in and out and I constrained myself on time) and I ended up getting a 44/60. I know I'm neurotic but I just wanted to know how I would do in the worse case senario and that's not too bad!

Thanks for sharing Anastasis...I thought I was the only one who performed differently depending on my state of mind :)

Oh MAN - I vary WIDELY depending on my state of mind.

I'm getting some friends together tommorrow for Kaplan FL #2 just to see how I do when I'm testing with others. Should be interesting. I'll post again tommorrow to tell everyone how it goes (Doubt ya'll care but if it's a good learning experience for me, you might want to try it.)

Anastasis said:
I'm getting some friends together tommorrow for Kaplan FL #2 just to see how I do when I'm testing with others. Should be interesting. I'll post again tommorrow to tell everyone how it goes (Doubt ya'll care but if it's a good learning experience for me, you might want to try it.)

No please do! I have to take it as part of the Kaplan course..I'd be curious :)

My VR practice scores have ranged anywhere from 9-13, so I'm :scared: of what's going to happen on test day :luck:

BrettBatchelor said:
46/60 Kaplan Book Verbal Test 2

Disappointing after a 50/60 on the first. On a good note, all of the ones where I had trouble picking between 2 answers I got right.

which book? the new VR books you get as part of the Kaplan course?

Ah. Kaplan's new materials (course materials) have been revamped methinks. It seems like the reasoning in the questions got harder.

Teerawit said:
Thanks for sharing Anastasis...I thought I was the only one who performed differently depending on my state of mind :)

No EVERYONE performs different depending on state of mind. That is proven through biological and psychological studies. Actually, the first chapter of the EK verbal strategy book emphasizes how you should always sit up when you are taking the Verbal section because how your posture is affects your concentration levels greatly.

That's pretty normal. That's why they say to test yourself somewhere other then just the regular case scenarios.

gujuDoc said:
No EVERYONE performs different depending on state of mind. That is proven through biological and psychological studies. Actually, the first chapter of the EK verbal strategy book emphasizes how you should always sit up when you are taking the Verbal section because how your posture is affects your concentration levels greatly.

That's pretty normal. That's why they say to test yourself somewhere other then just the regular case scenarios.

yeah--when i took my mcat i laid on the floor--it was fun but not good for my concentration

gujuDoc said:

Yeah, but I was referring in context to the VR section, since it's the one I'm the most anxious about :eek: so it's relieving to see verbal gods "not doing as well as they want to"...yeah i'm crazy :D

Took one of the free MCAT's from Kaplan today proctored and got a 10,12,8 = 30 . Feel good about it since I haven't read anything but Verbal and some Physics stuff. Pretty good starting point in my opinion :D

Okay as promised, here's what I learned from taking a Kaplan test with people.

1. It relieved so much of my stress to be with my friends!
2. It was nice to talk over the test afterwards with people I knew weren't gunning for me (I doubt I'll get to do this on test day).
3. I thought it would make me slow down - I constantly finish with extra time - but it didn't. I was still finishing 15 - 20 minutes early.

Here's my score on Kaplan FL #2:
11 PS - 12 VR - 11 BS

I think the friends being around thing didn't stop stupid mistakes. I misbubbled 2 on PS and if I hadn't I would have had a 12.

On VR - I'm so happy to have finally broken 12. EK is really working. I need to stop second guessing myself. I did that twice and got the answer wrong both times!

On BS - damn. I didn't know any of that orgo (I'm only now taking Orgo II). I will need to study that, though once again I was surprised about how much I was able to get through logic.

Just did EK Verbal #6 with a 40/60 = 8

I really got thrown off by passage 6 (you'll understand when you read it) and so that screwed me a little bit. I guess I need to get used to having completely off the wall passages.

i'm so depressed. i haven't been improving and i just finished verbal test 7. my scores have been pretty much in the same range.... +/- 1 score... for those of you who have seen a score improvement with EK... starting what test did you see a dramatic increase? or was it a steady increase? i'm about to just break down and cry.... :(

starkid said:
i'm so depressed. i haven't been improving and i just finished verbal test 7. my scores have been pretty much in the same range.... +/- 1 score... for those of you who have seen a score improvement with EK... starting what test did you see a dramatic increase? or was it a steady increase? i'm about to just break down and cry.... :(

No crying! :)

Do you mean +/- 1 on the scaled or raw score? If it's scaled, that's kinda to be expected. If it's raw, that might be kinda worrying. Are you going over all the answers and trying to understand the logic behind it? Another trick is to go back through the exam after you take it and attempt to answer the questions with just the information in the answer/question stems. That really helps you focus on the internal logic of the question.

As for improvement, my has been a very gradual improvement in my raw score (finally went up 1 point on the scaled score this past week). You should get 2 or 3 more questions right each time I would think (ignoring tests where you just completely misunderstand a passage).

Don't worry - you still have plenty of time. I would worry about running out of practice verbal stuff first. Make sure you're making full use of each exam (going over answers, the question stem thing, etc). :luck: :luck:

i originally posted this in another thread, but this seemed like a more appropriate location...can i join in? :)

6R was my first diagnostic for the prep class i'm in...i did it yesterday.

AAMC 6R:
PS 7 VR 8 BS 10-11

hmm...guess i have a ways to go, huh? i hope 2.5 months is enough time... :scared: