****Official ASDOH Class of 2013 Thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmapleleaf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
<p>hey everyone. just thought I would start a thread for those who are going to asdoh for the class of 2013. feel free to start discussing your feelings about the school and from which areas students are coming from</p>

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to ASDOH. I love the school. I wish it was already July! I'm a Arizona native and have lived in Mesa for the last 14 years so if you have any questions about the area let me know.

I wish ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to ASDOH. I love the school. I wish it was already July! I'm a Arizona native and have lived in Mesa for the last 14 years so if you have any questions about the area let me know.
im also very excited. im coming from new york city although im not a new yorker, rather a canadian. how is it living in mesa?

im also very excited. im coming from new york city although im not a new yorker, rather a canadian. how is it living in mesa?

Mesa is a nice place to live. ASDOH is in east Mesa which a nicer area since most of the construction is new. Arizona State is about 25 minutes away with plenty of nightlife. No snow, although if you want to go snow boarding you can drinve 2 1/2 hours north during the winter to Flaggstaff.

:hello: I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you guys in person.

I just got the acceptance phone call yesterday :). I'm coming from Vancouver, BC...it's nice to see other Canadians may be there as well. Excited to meet everyone in July! I wish it was here already...

I just got the acceptance phone call yesterday :). I'm coming from Vancouver, BC...it's nice to see other Canadians may be there as well. Excited to meet everyone in July! I wish it was here already...

Would you mind sharing who from ASDOH called you about the acceptance?
Thanks

for those of you not in yet, are you guys just waiting? I tried calling once and they just would not tell me anything. I am assuming since no rejection letter since my interview that I am still in the applicant pool. I guess all this waiting is making me nervous.

Mesa is a nice place to live. ASDOH is in east Mesa which a nicer area since most of the construction is new. Arizona State is about 25 minutes away with plenty of nightlife. No snow, although if you want to go snow boarding you can drinve 2 1/2 hours north during the winter to Flaggstaff.

Mill Ave rocks if you like to party or just kick back. For all the gents........ASU girls are fine.

Mill Ave rocks if you like to party or just kick back. For all the gents........ASU girls are fine.

Rula Bula is a great place to kick back! And yes ASU girls are attractive, but they're all alcoholics, or maybe just my friends are...who knows!

Hey, so what ares of Mesa are the best to look for a place to stay, in terms of safety and how nice it is. I don't want to end up in a "undesirable" area just because it's affordable, but I also don't want to overpay. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what the school code is for FAFSA purposes?

Anyone know what the school code is for FAFSA purposes?

Wassup T, I just got started with mine, the code for asdoh is G02477.

Who wants to make an official asdoh c/o 13 facebook group?

I saw there was a group created in facebook already.

"ASDOH class of 2013"

Also could someone answer lafuturedent82's question on where to live and what areas to stay away from?

Other than that, excited to meet everyone soon. :laugh:

Congradulations, I'm a student here and have to say the school rocks. I know this is the official acceptance thread but since you asked the question, I hope this helps.

Short Answer: Don't live north west of the school and you should pay around 700-850.

Long Answer:
In my opinion the only place I would stay away from is apartments that are farther north of the school. As you go further north and west the area gets older and the crime goes up. We have had a classmate or too that has moved out of that area for one reason or another.

As far as apartments close to the school, almost all of them are a reasonable price and pretty nice. They usually all have dryers/washers, a pool, gym and are up to date. 2 Bedrooms usually cost from 700 to 1000, but I wouldn't pay over 900. Just know that these were the prices a year ago and you could probably get better ones now that the ecomony is struggling. Here is what I remember when I was looking for a place;

San montego Apartments- One block east of school and is across from some restuarants, mall and movie theater. The apartments were nice and had 1 to 3 bedrooms. It also has a couple of pools, lakes, small Gym and is gated. Note: prices at this place vary so try to negotiate your contract becuase I know some people paying about 700 and others over 900 for the same apartment. Overall good place.

Lakeview Apartments: Across the street from San Montego so it's also next to the mall, movietheater, fry's grocery, restuarants, and wallmart is two blocks away. This is where I live so I know more about it. It has lakes, pools, a small gym, and gates. Most of the apartments are good especially if you get one that was remodeled. Many of the students live here and I personally love it but, a few people move out becuase the gates are never really closed and miantanance sometimes takes awhile to get to you. Overall though my wife and I like it becuase our view of the lakes is beautiful (you need this in the dry summer) and the location is perfect we can walk to almost anything and if we can't then we can drive there in about 15 minutes (the freeway here is awesome and has 6 lanes). Price can be from 600's to 1000 depending on how many rooms. Also ASDOH students get a deal on rent now! Most 2 bedrooms are around $800.

San Angelin- 1 block West of the school. these are partially subsidized so they are fairly nice and definately the cheapest to live in (about 600 including some utitlities!). the problem is that you have to qualify to live there... I think you need to be working with a low income. If you don't have employment then your not supposed to live there however they seem to make an exception for some people somtimes.

Stone Canyon- 1 block west and 1 block north of the school. These were seemed to be nice apartments and many were remodelled. they had a pool and a small golf green. the only problems we saw with it were that there seemed to be some car theft in the area and not enough green (grass, trees, lakes) It was mostly parking. I think the prices were comparable.

Solana Luxury Apartments- 1 or two blocks west of the school. Very nice apartments and had a few pools and gym but also the most expensive. All i remember is that it was way out of my price range.

There are obviously more in the area and alot of students choose to buy homes instead becuase the newer houses are a good price after the whole housing crash.

Sorry for the ear full but hope this helps a little.

I saw there was a group created in facebook already.

"ASDOH class of 2013"

Also could someone answer lafuturedent82's question on where to live and what areas to stay away from?

Other than that, excited to meet everyone soon. :laugh:

I received this PM when I initially posted the question. Since others might be interested I'll put it here ;):

icon1.gif
Apartments
So for the most part you might want to stay south of baseline (which is the road that asdoh is on) So look for cities like Gilbert or Chandler in addition to Mesa. East Mesa is safe for the most part w/ some little pockets here and there that aren't very nice. Just look around on apartment websites. You should be able to get a nice one bedrooom w/ a washer and dryer for about 700 month. Check out The Edge at Lyons Gate....it's really nice. I was planning on moving there but my parents live down the street from ASDOH so I figured I should live with them and save 60K lol. Let me know if you have anyomore questions.

Hello all,

I know this isn't the best thread to prbly post this kind of question, but since most of you have already been accepted I was wondering if you had any advice/tips for the interview?? :D

Hello all,

I know this isn't the best thread to prbly post this kind of question, but since most of you have already been accepted I was wondering if you had any advice/tips for the interview?? :D

After the fact i would personally talk more about my experiences in public health. The interview was one of my more intense interviews, with the peg test, the group presentation, and 3 on 1 interview. Great school, area, weather, facilities, and faculty ... just be yourself and hopefully you'll have better luck than I had ... still have my fingers crossed though. Good luck!

After the fact i would personally talk more about my experiences in public health. The interview was one of my more intense interviews, with the peg test, the group presentation, and 3 on 1 interview. Great school, area, weather, facilities, and faculty ... just be yourself and hopefully you'll have better luck than I had ... still have my fingers crossed though. Good luck!

Thanks!

Hi all! I'm a current ASDOH student. I love the school and congratulate all those of C/O 2013! I've never regretted my choice. I'm on a Navy scholarship and wanted to offer a hand to anyone thinking about going Navy. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Congrats to you all and hope to see you soon!

Thanks a lot Rubeep!!! This information will really help me decide on where to live.

Does anyone know when the first day of school is? I can't seem to find the academic calendar on the website.

Does anyone know when the first day of school is? I can't seem to find the academic calendar on the website.

I'm not sure exactly. I figure the third week in July. That's usually when they start.

Hey guys!!

I found out yesterday that i got in ASDOH!!!! I am sooo excited. I am looking for roomates and saw a post that there is already ASDOH class of 2013 facebook group. However, I can not find it on facebook. Can someone send me a link or request for this group. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

congrats DarkAngel3! when did you interview? what are you stats if you dont mind my asking?

Hey Class of 2013! I am a current first year with a good offer. The leading Oral Surgeon in the valley is a friend of mine and he has a house for rent with a fireplace, pool 3 car garage, the works. He also said that the dental students renting it will get the best teeth he extracts...priority over the upper underclassman. Email me for details
[email protected]