*Official August 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leelee12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This thread is for everyone that is writing the MCAT on August 4th, 5th, 19th, 20th or on the 25th.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe how quiet this thread has been lately.
It has been super quiet. Everyone's back to the rest of life. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here thinking "nooo don't leave me! You're my buddies!!" Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is crazy, why aren't they up yet! Refreshing like mad. Anyone have updates on why they're taking so long?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright.. I got a 515 which i am very very happy with and very grateful for. But my score breakdown is kind of worrying me and I was wondering if someone could weigh in.. 130/130/130/125. I dont know why my psych/soc was so low, and I know that medical schools generally like a relatively even score distribution, and generally, nothing lower than 125. Is my 125 really bad? Should I be concerned enough to consider retaking it?

519!! Definitely happy with this. Breakdown was 132/125/130/132. CARS you can get out of my life now...

Reactions: 3 users
Welp, disappointed, got a 503 (126/124/127/126). The CARs score definitely came out of nowhere, I honestly thought that would be my best section but apparently not.

I'm only applying DO anyway so it's likely not the end of the world but still hard to believe I scored that in CARs. It used to be my worst section but the last few practice tests and passages over the final month I was doing really well.

516 :)

131 / 128 / 129 / 128. Super happy with the distribution. CARS and I had quite the battle over the course of this year. I was hoping for a 127, so I'm really happy with a 128. B/B and P/S were harder on my test than C/P and CARS. B/B and P/S had random factoids that had me a bit worried. Stuff that you either have randomly seen or not- but not anything you would think to study for or memorize. My real exam was a lot harder than the two AAMC practice tests. This is likely always going to be the case, at least for 2 of the sections because this thing needs to scale in difficulty up to the highest scoring students.

For reference:

TPR / Kaplan: 504 - 509
NS diag: 511
NS1: 513
EK1: 70%
EK2: 77%
EK3: 74%
EK4: 74%
AAMC unscored: 95% / 94% / 92% / 86%
AAMC scored: 130 / 126 / 130 / 129 for 515 total.

I studied for a long time (January - August). For me, a longer period of studying was better as long as I made sure I didn't burn out. I'll make a separate post about this later. Hoping to help out any others who have questions. Also, congrats to everyone else that did well!

Alright.. I got a 515 which i am very very happy with and very grateful for. But my score breakdown is kind of worrying me and I was wondering if someone could weigh in.. 130/130/130/125. I dont know why my psych/soc was so low, and I know that medical schools generally like a relatively even score distribution, and generally, nothing lower than 125. Is my 125 really bad? Should I be concerned enough to consider retaking it?

This is a great score! If there was one section to get the 125 in, P/S is the one. It's probably the least important section. I wouldn't retake. Great job :)

OMG 520 (130/129/130/131) I WAS IN CLASS WHEN I CHECKED AND NEARLY PASSED OUT WOW I AM DEAD

CONGRATS EVERYONE

Does anyone feel more nervous than ever for the 27th? Idk sdn and reddit did pretty well on the exam today but reading all these awesome scores make me so anxious!!!! No joke!! I feel like i did worse and worse!!!

Does anyone feel more nervous than ever for the 27th? Idk sdn and reddit did pretty well on the exam today but reading all these awesome scores make me so anxious!!!! No joke!! I feel like i did worse and worse!!!
I feel the same dude. My confidence bar has drop considerably, hoping to at least break 500 now lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow! 510, but badly unbalanced. Disappointed in my CARS score even though I tried every strategy. Why is it always reading in every single standardized exam?!?! I can't get above 500 critical reading (even though a 780 Math) nor a 22 ACT reading (even though a 31 Math and 31 Science) back in high school. Again, happens on the MCAT. (C/P 131, CARS 122, B/B 130, P/S 127). I not gonna improve on CARS that much anyways, so I refuse to retake the MCAT b/c of CARS section. I think this thing of med schools putting the most weight on CARS is complete :bullcrap: especially if English is not my first language. I have other strengths and relevant experiences in my application and strong scores on the other sections of the MCAT that speaks for itself and to why I want to go into into medicine. CARS section alone doesn't determine how good or competent a doctor is going to be. I am not going to let my weakness deter me from applying next summer.

Wow! 510, but badly unbalanced. Disappointed in my CARS score even though I tried every strategy. Why is it always reading in every single standardized exam?!?! I can't get above 500 critical reading (even though a 780 Math) nor a 22 ACT reading (even though a 31 Math and 31 Science) back in high school. Again, happens on the MCAT. (C/P 131, CARS 122, B/B 130, P/S 127). I not gonna improve on CARS that much anyways, so I refuse to retake the MCAT b/c of CARS section. I think this thing of med schools putting the most weight on CARS is complete :bullcrap: especially if English is not my first language. I have other strengths and relevant experiences in my application and strong scores on the other sections of the MCAT that speaks for itself and to why I want to go into into medicine. CARS section alone doesn't determine how good or competent a doctor is going to be. I am not going to let my weakness deter me from applying next summer.

Strong sections otherwise, good job @BJJGrappler18! You should find a good landing spot in TX if you want to stay there.

Well, my score ended up being...adequate. Considering the limited amount of time I was able to commit to studying due to work/post-bacc/family, I can't be too disappointed with a 507. Pretty balanced, two 126's, a 127 and a 128. To anyone worried about not having enough time to study, just make the most of what time you DO have. And I can't stress the importance of practice over content enough. My score isn't great by any means, but I got what I needed out of it and literally did about 25 hours of review and 75 of practice tests. Sorry this was so long-winded...congrats to all 8/19 and 8/20 test takers!

Would a 125 in CARS put me in trouble when applying? English is my second language so I always had a rough time with CARS. Yet it seems silly to even consider retaking a 519. I'm somewhat aiming for top 20 schools and my current gpa is 4.0. Any thoughts?

Would a 125 in CARS put me in trouble when applying? English is my second language so I always had a rough time with CARS. Yet it seems silly to even consider retaking a 519. I'm somewhat aiming for top 20 schools and my current gpa is 4.0. Any thoughts?
Post on WAMC thread

@bobeanie95

You don't need a retake. That is a great MCAT score and one sub-section is not going to prevent you from getting into your top choice. Other aspects of your app and your interviewing skills will do the talking. Congrats on that solid score!

523!
Walking out I really thought P/S would be my worst but it ended up being my best (130/131/130/132)
I felt pretty discouraged on test day given that I usually had a decent amount of time to check over most sections (except C/P I usually cut a little closer), but on the real thing I was finishing right as time ran out basically. I'm super happy especially given that I only had about 5 weeks to study, just so relieved!

Just two more sleeps for those of us in the 25th group...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It takes up an abnormal amount of my time thinking... almost down another day, one and a half to go!

Reactions: 1 users
I know AAMC has been releasing scores by 3pm every month but do you guys think to get an 8am release tomorrow? Inwould be surprised

I've been binging Netflix and going on here and Reddit mcat back and forth. All in all, a very productive day