-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official August 27th 2014 MCAT Thread
Started by HaitianMD
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I know this wait sucks, thankfully I have a lot on my plate this semester so I don't have much time to think about it. Have two exams next week and another the following Tuesday when our scores are (hopefully) released, so I'll be too busy between now and the 30th to think much about it
Exact same scenario. I will be very busy until October 1st and have no time to think about it. My score will either make or break my application but can't do anything, right?
Does everyone get the Amazon gift card or only a certain percentage? Seems like you needed at least 25% but I'm not entirely sure.
Not true. I got around 12% (lmao) last time and still got the gift card.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This wait is killing me...
I hear you man. If I don't meet the cut off mins ( I will be right on the edge there), I will have around a 1000$ and a month of my time wasted.
So I'm curious, we're getting our results back on Sept 30. Since most schools I've spoken to seem to hold secondary app's for review until after the latest scores are released (assuming you marked your were retaking on the AMCAS), does that mean we've technically applied late, since most schools won't look at our secondaries until October 1st?
Yes.So I'm curious, we're getting our results back on Sept 30. Since most schools I've spoken to seem to hold secondary app's for review until after the latest scores are released (assuming you marked your were retaking on the AMCAS), does that mean we've technically applied late, since most schools won't look at our secondaries until October 1st?
Spend $5 of my own money?!? No way! I'll just spend $10 on shipping instead...What did you all buy with your gift card? Am I the only one who blew it all already? Amazon has a deal where you get free shipping if you buy 35 dollars' worth of items...
Lmao! Good thinking.Spend $5 of my own money?!? No way! I'll just spend $10 on shipping instead...
Lol I think I someone else post something about this, but my feelings echoed it exactly. I was so tired after taking the exam that I skipped the trial section. I regret it so much atm and I hope that's the worst decision I made that day...
The only reason I am happy to have taken the trial section is for those panic attack moments when my brain tries to convince me that I accidentally voided!Lol I think I someone else post something about this, but my feelings echoed it exactly. I was so tired after taking the exam that I skipped the trial section. I regret it so much atm and I hope that's the worst decision I made that day...
So how do you guys know the scores are gonna be released on the 30th? Is that just an estimate?
Check it out dawg! https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/reserving/355164/scorereleaseschedule.html
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@ChackieJan - was that your face when you found out about your son's arrest over the drug bust?
Yeah, but then I realized I could use his drug problem as an introduction for my personal statement.@ChackieJan - was that your face when you found out about your son's arrest over the drug bust?
Yeah, but then I realized I could use his drug problem as an introduction for my personal statement.
Epitome of seeing the glass as half-full. Great dad!
Yeah, that's weird.Hey guys, August 27th test take here. Should I be worried that I have not gotten my gift card yet despite completing the trial section?
No, it's coming out a week earlier, (tomorrow!) a total of one less day waiting than our own!Hey, guys. Talking about wait, think the guys that took Aug. 21st test. Their score will come out at the same day as ours, which is 39 days of waiting. Cruel!
The part that came out at the same time was the trial section.
I'm going crazy... I bought a Fitbit with my gift card+cash. Began my hardcore diet and training regimen, bought a lawn mower and mowed my yard for the first time since buying my home a year ago (had someone else do it usually), bought Destiny for ps4, and try to spend time studying for my only interesting class, toxicology, out of the 4 this semester.. I still can't keep myself from thinking about the mcat...
one more week guys. Next Tuesday can't come soon enough. I feel like I haven't been as focused as usual since taking this, hopefully that'll change once I get my scores back
anyone else getting nervous for the aug 21st test takers?
surprisingly the August 21st crew did well!!
Most didnt divulge their scoresurprisingly the August 21st crew did well!!
One more week... I'm going to be very scared about looking at my score.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any of you guys register for the January exam in NYC or LI or even Jersey? Hoping you guys did well so some spots open up. Instead of more spots opening up today, seems like less are available 🙁
Okay we're next. Let's do this guys! Never give up, never surrender.
I have a question for you guys. I am trying to apply for this cycle. Obviously my application is going to get in super late. Is anyone else applying this cycle? Or does anyone else have experience applying late? Is it worth the try? Honestly, I'm not too worried about the money part, but I also don't want to throw my money away if there is no chance of getting an interview this late. FYI I'm only applying to TX schools, I already sent in my transcript, and I plan on submitting the rest of my application this weekend because I'm fine tuning my personal statement.
Also, I'm not going to be heartbroken if I don't get in this year. I just want to try my luck.
Oh okay. Thanks, that's strange that I haven't gotten my feedback email yet thenNo, if you took the trial section at all, you didn't void.
I've applied this cycle. Assuming you've already sent in your amcas/transcript/LOR and it's all verified you should be fine. I've applied to 20 schools and have gotten 15 secondaries back. I've already filled them out and I'm just gonna submit them on Oct 1, 24 hours after our scores are released. It's definitely later than would be ideal, but it shouldn't be too bad assuming you're a relatively qualified candidate and you didn't only apply to reach schools.I have a question for you guys. I am trying to apply for this cycle. Obviously my application is going to get in super late. Is anyone else applying this cycle? Or does anyone else have experience applying late? Is it worth the try? Honestly, I'm not too worried about the money part, but I also don't want to throw my money away if there is no chance of getting an interview this late. FYI I'm only applying to TX schools, I already sent in my transcript, and I plan on submitting the rest of my application this weekend because I'm fine tuning my personal statement.
im feeling so worried about my mcat now..
like everything will go to waste if I dont do well..
the whole application will just go to garbage..
And the whole process of getting 3 references will be nulled as well..
I wonder who I will ask for reference if I have to apply again next year.. I hope the same references will not mind giving references again...
sighhh....
im so scared that I will get a 20 or below on mcat. then I dont think I will even pay the application fees on Oct1st. Or like get like high 20s or get an awesome score but with horrible verbal score. Honestly I feel like I could get a 2 in verbal. I just panicked on the exam......... Honestly i am scared as helll!!!!! All I do now is just keep guessing and guessing... you never know right? it cud even be a 34?! I mean there is 25% chance of gettting a question right and it cud just be that I was extremely lucky that day and just guessed everything right!!! I guess all I can do now is PRAY and PRAY more. I dont think I have it in me to go thru the whole process again of writing the NEW MCAT now (!!) and fill up all applications again. And ask for references again. How much I really wish and pray that I do well on MCAT and just get through with applications and get admission in FALL 2015! It will truly be the best moment in my life EVERRR so far and I promise to never forget the people who helped me thru these times and especially my references (who will hopefully give me an outstanding reference).
I just wish and pray so much for this to happen! I just cant help but worry.
Goodluck to all of you. Hopefully we all are able to get the score we are praying for!
just 6 more days!
like everything will go to waste if I dont do well..
the whole application will just go to garbage..
And the whole process of getting 3 references will be nulled as well..
I wonder who I will ask for reference if I have to apply again next year.. I hope the same references will not mind giving references again...
sighhh....
im so scared that I will get a 20 or below on mcat. then I dont think I will even pay the application fees on Oct1st. Or like get like high 20s or get an awesome score but with horrible verbal score. Honestly I feel like I could get a 2 in verbal. I just panicked on the exam......... Honestly i am scared as helll!!!!! All I do now is just keep guessing and guessing... you never know right? it cud even be a 34?! I mean there is 25% chance of gettting a question right and it cud just be that I was extremely lucky that day and just guessed everything right!!! I guess all I can do now is PRAY and PRAY more. I dont think I have it in me to go thru the whole process again of writing the NEW MCAT now (!!) and fill up all applications again. And ask for references again. How much I really wish and pray that I do well on MCAT and just get through with applications and get admission in FALL 2015! It will truly be the best moment in my life EVERRR so far and I promise to never forget the people who helped me thru these times and especially my references (who will hopefully give me an outstanding reference).
I just wish and pray so much for this to happen! I just cant help but worry.
Goodluck to all of you. Hopefully we all are able to get the score we are praying for!
just 6 more days!
Last edited:
im feeling so worried about my mcat now..
like everything will go to waste if I dont do well..
the whole application will just go to garbage..
And the whole process of getting 3 references will be nulled as well..
I wonder who I will ask for reference if I have to apply again next year.. I hope the same references will not mind giving references again...
sighhh....
im so scared that I will get a 20 or below on mcat. then I dont think I will even pay the application fees on Oct1st. Or like get like high 20s or get an awesome score but with horrible verbal score. Honestly I feel like I could get a 2 in verbal. I just panicked on the exam......... Honestly i am scared as helll!!!!! All I do now is just keep guessing and guessing... you never know right? it cud even be a 34?! I mean there is 25% chance of gettting a question right and it cud just be that I was extremely lucky that day and just guessed everything right!!! I guess all I can do now is PRAY and PRAY more. I dont think I have it in me to go thru the whole process again of writing the NEW MCAT now (!!) and fill up all applications again. And ask for references again. How much I really wish and pray that I do well on MCAT and just get through with applications and get admission in FALL 2015! It will truly be the best moment in my life EVERRR so far and I promise to never forget the people who helped me thru these times and especially my references (who will hopefully give me an outstanding reference).
I just wish and pray so much for this to happen! I just cant help but worry.
Goodluck to all of you. Hopefully we all are able to get the score we are praying for!
just 6 more days!
Chillllllllll...
You'll be fine. Whether or not you do well on the exam will not dictate your life's success, and you shouldn't let it dictate your happiness. It's time like these we need to be strong. I know you can do it. If not, and the pressures of the MCAT make you break than it's probably best you don't go into medicine in the first place. Nobody wants a doctor freaking out, and the pressure you and I will (hopefully) be under is far more intense once we (hopefully) overcome this seemingly huge albeit relatively minor obstacle. Even if you don't do as well on this exam as you hope, show that it doesn't get to you and that you're mentally strong enough to get back up. To me that seems more worthy of practicing medicine then getting a good score but suffocating from the pressure.
I'm not directly aiming this at you because I don't know anything about you, but as an example I think this can show why Adcoms are increasingly preferring people who have taken gap years and been in the real world over people straight out of college. I'm only just starting my gap year, and I'm realizing how much more to life there is then exams etc. As someone who was a study-aholic in school, I know it's easy to get warped into a false reality about life's happiness and it's dependence on good grades. Again, sorry this isn't directed at you acemcatthissummer because for all I know you could be a hugely successful, independent, life loving 40 year old.
As a conclusion, let's stay strong team. As Batman once said, "It's not who you are underneath. It's what you do that defines you." This MCAT may hint at what we are underneath. But what's truly important is how we react and let our scores define us. Yolo.
I have a question for you guys. I am trying to apply for this cycle. Obviously my application is going to get in super late. Is anyone else applying this cycle? Or does anyone else have experience applying late? Is it worth the try? Honestly, I'm not too worried about the money part, but I also don't want to throw my money away if there is no chance of getting an interview this late. FYI I'm only applying to TX schools, I already sent in my transcript, and I plan on submitting the rest of my application this weekend because I'm fine tuning my personal statement.
I think it's still worth it to apply. Some people do get in late. Being late is not ideal and a lot of people do get rejected, but you could get lucky and then get to start med school a year earlier
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just the most awesome answer ever!Chillllllllll...
You'll be fine. Whether or not you do well on the exam will not dictate your life's success, and you shouldn't let it dictate your happiness. It's time like these we need to be strong. I know you can do it. If not, and the pressures of the MCAT make you break than it's probably best you don't go into medicine in the first place. Nobody wants a doctor freaking out, and the pressure you and I will (hopefully) be under is far more intense once we (hopefully) overcome this seemingly huge albeit relatively minor obstacle. Even if you don't do as well on this exam as you hope, show that it doesn't get to you and that you're mentally strong enough to get back up. To me that seems more worthy of practicing medicine then getting a good score but suffocating from the pressure.
I'm not directly aiming this at you because I don't know anything about you, but as an example I think this can show why Adcoms are increasingly preferring people who have taken gap years and been in the real world over people straight out of college. I'm only just starting my gap year, and I'm realizing how much more to life there is then exams etc. As someone who was a study-aholic in school, I know it's easy to get warped into a false reality about life's happiness and it's dependence on good grades. Again, sorry this isn't directed at you acemcatthissummer because for all I know you could be a hugely successful, independent, life loving 40 year old.
As a conclusion, let's stay strong team. As Batman once said, "It's not who you are underneath. It's what you do that defines you." This MCAT may hint at what we are underneath. But what's truly important is how we react and let our scores define us. Yolo.
love the batman quote!
thanks for the support.
Still no matter what one says, a dream is a dream and I feel its better to acheive it rather than do something else.
I dont know.. for me.. i feel no matter how successful I am in anything else I do, if I dont get in med I will always feel a sense of loss that I cudnt achieve my actual goal.
maybe I feel this way now cuz I havnt done much other than studying yet..
and as to whether I will like med or not once I start the profession - thats a different story all together and answer is I honestly dont know.
But from the looks of it now -- I know I am just going to love and be grateful for every minute of it.
Actually this year is my gap year too. Just graduated this April from engineering. Working full time and exploring my options.
This summer was the most tiring summer ever with all full time work and studying.
I just will be very disheartened and upset if I do poorly especially after all the hours I have spent.
My FL averages were just high 20s to begin with .. so my chances dont look very promising.
I dont know.. I just feel that I might not be able to write this exam once again...
and if I do, some damage to my ego and spirit will be done which I am not sure if I will be able to cope up with.
and lastly, there is no guarantee on how I wud perform the next time I write it... for all you know you cud just end up doing worse.
hate this feeling.
just the most awesome answer ever!
love the batman quote!
thanks for the support.
Still no matter what one says, a dream is a dream and I feel its better to acheive it rather than do something else.
I dont know.. for me.. i feel no matter how successful I am in anything else I do, if I dont get in med I will always feel a sense of loss that I cudnt achieve my actual goal.
maybe I feel this way now cuz I havnt done much other than studying yet..
and as to whether I will like med or not once I start the profession - thats a different story all together and answer is I honestly dont know.
But from the looks of it now -- I know I am just going to love and be grateful for every minute of it.
Actually this year is my gap year too. Just graduated this April from engineering. Working full time and exploring my options.
This summer was the most tiring summer ever with all full time work and studying.
I just will be very disheartened and upset if I do poorly especially after all the hours I have spent.
My FL averages were just high 20s to begin with .. so my chances dont look very promising.
I dont know.. I just feel that I might not be able to write this exam once again...
and if I do, some damage to my ego and spirit will be done which I am not sure if I will be able to cope up with.
and lastly, there is no guarantee on how I wud perform the next time I write it... for all you know you cud just end up doing worse.
hate this feeling.
We're in almost the same boat. I just graduated engineering (ChemE!) in May and I'm working now. I took this exam in April and scored not so well (albeit, I didn't study at all...stupid capstone.). Retaking sucks, but consider it a challenge. And who knows, maybe you won't even need to retake. There was some dude in the August 21st batch who was scoring 20s and ended up with a 31 I think? It's definitely possible.
Playing with the odds is dangerous... More people scored equal or less than they did in FL, only handful scored higher.
I am praying to the Aliens...
Why does yours status say DO/PhD student if you haven't taken the MCAT yet?
Doesn't it feel like we took this exam ages ago?