Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In response to Crazy Eye's post about perfect #'s

I have a friend at Baylor who went to undergrad at Rice and had a friend that went to Rice and then to Baylor med with her. Her friend like aced the MCAT and had like a perfect GPA, and had failed to honor any classes during the first two years. Sometimes numbers mean a lot, but the hardest thing in medical school is that you get so much information that if you are use to mastering everything you can get weighed down by details. Entering medical school you have to quickly learn what is important and what might be that one question that separates you from an A to an A+.

Members don't see this ad.

crazy eyes said:
I was giving highs and lows.
Highs are in mid 40s- perfect depending upon the year is usually 43-45, we get a couple of applicants with these scores every year. Thats all.

Dude, no one has scored above a 43 for the last three or more years. Not a single person has scored a 44 or 45.

JDAD said:
Dude, no one has scored above a 43 for the last three or more years. Not a single person has scored a 44 or 45.

That's what I thought too....but then again, I'm not an expert on MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
crazy eyes said:
Sorry if I didnt make it clear, I should probably have used commas. What I was saying is that we get a few applicants every year with a perfect score, a perfect score usually is between 43-45. That is all I am saying- we dont disagree.

Not that it makes much difference, but those that suggest there has been no perfect score achieved in the last few years (according to the aamc website) are correct. The highest score possible about 3 years ago was a 43-45 due to a 13-15 being the highest score achievable on verbal. However, a few years ago this was changed to allow a perfect in every category (15), and as best as I can read their website, this has not been achieved by anyone over that period of time. In fact, it appears 43 has been the highest score achieved (and I happen to know someone at Baylor that received that score 2 years ago). But again, it really does not matter if there are students with perfect scores, the point is that Baylor is a top tier institution to which applicants who have the highest scores on the test apply. No need to get bogged down in numbers.

This has probably been asked (and answered) ad nauseam, but I'll ask in case it hasn't: How many students are accepted by Dr. Bradshaw every two weeks? Does it vary each round, or is there a set number that the admissions office chooses?

Thanks.

ninebillion said:
This has probably been asked (and answered) ad nauseam, but I'll ask in case it hasn't: How many students are accepted by Dr. Bradshaw every two weeks? Does it vary each round, or is there a set number that the admissions office chooses?

Thanks.

Well, I am also an applicant so this is pure conjecture. But, given the number of people they want in a given class, and given that they will be interviewing I presume for many more months, I would say that its fair to guess that they are only accepting what they consider the true cream of the crop. Hence if I were to guess I would say they would only make up to about 5 acceptances a week at this point and maybe not that many. That would be 20 a month, and if they were to do that from oct 15 through say april 15, then that would be about 120. OK, I presume by then they would have a better idea of who is or is not going (also along the way if they hear negative responses from those they make offers to they may compensate along the way). Again that is simply speculation.

If I remember correctly, they accept ~300 people, or roughly 50% of those they interview. If you have already interviewed, you will most likely have a greater than 50% chance of getting accepted.
To answer your question, I'd say that they probably call 50 people on average every month. I'm sure in the beginning it's fewer than that, and as April approaches, it's more.

Maybe crazy_eyes or BaylorLion have more insight since they're students.

has anyone with an august mcat score gotten an interview lately? i can't tell you how anxious i am to get one now that my boyfriend has been accepted!!

also: does anyone know who the dean of admissions/head of the admissions committee is? they don't make it very easy to figure out on their website...

Just out of curiosity, when do the invites usually come? Beginning or end of the week? Morning or afternoon? I just want a chance at this school....even if I don't get accepted....just a CHANCE! Unfortunately, I think my MCAT needed to be about 4 points higher =( <sigh>

AsianDoc816 said:
Just out of curiosity, when do the invites usually come? Beginning or end of the week? Morning or afternoon? I just want a chance at this school....even if I don't get accepted....just a CHANCE! Unfortunately, I think my MCAT needed to be about 4 points higher =( <sigh>

I received mine on a Thursday afternoon.

RunMimi said:
From your personal experience, does in-state or out-of-state impact when we would hear? Thanks!

I do not think your residency/location would have an effect on when you would hear. Of course, if you're a resident of Texas, you're already have an advantage because Baylor is required to accept a certain number of Texas residents. If it helps at all, at my interview, which was the second interview date, there were probably 60% out-of-state, 40% in-state.

AsianDoc816 said:

I wouldn't worry about it Doc. As for your MCAT score, just know that mine was below the Baylor average, and I was accepted; same for the gpa. (3.45, 31). They do look at more than numbers, so don't get worried. There's still a ways to go in the interview season.

Members don't see this ad :)
RunMimi said:
Really? I interviewed on the second date as well and I felt like the only non-Texan!

Hmmm. I interviewed on the second date, and the 60% / 40% ratio sounds pretty accurate to me. There seemed to be quite a few out of staters.

RunMimi said:
I guess there were people that went to school out of state but were Texans. I don't know--that was my big reservation about the school.

What do you have against Texans? :laugh:

If it helps for the info gathering, my friend interviewed on 10/8 and got her acceptance over the phone on 11/10, and I interviewed on 10/22 and got my call on 11/10 as well--we're both Texas residents, though--maybe they really like people from Brown? I just can't wait to get out of this place back to the warmth of Houston, TX.

RunMimi said:
Well, they said ~2/3rds are Texans which is much much larger than any other private school and they have different tuition rates. This is clearly different than most private medical schools.

There's some other "private" schools like it. Univ. of Miami for example. Think of them as government subsidized private schools.

kikkoman said:
Interview 11/5, phone call today (11/23)!

Congratulations!!!

just out of curiosity, anyone know how baylor feels about deferrals? i loved the school when i interviewed last week, really hoping to get a call at some point....but i would like to take a year off before actually starting if i do get in - just wondering if anyone's been successful with this or has any insight? thanks! good luck to everyone and congrats if you've already gotten in!!

Was just wondering -- what are the BCM colors? I wanna start showing some Baylor love. ;)

*ahem* announcing the debut of my signature. All new and information-rich! hehe. :p

Happy Thanksgiving all! May we all hear from our dream schools soon. :love:

Yay Baylor! Interview 11/5, accepted today!

Does anyone know when Baylor stops interviewing?

texaninphilly said:
Does anyone know when Baylor stops interviewing?

Around the end of February, I believe,

Congrats to kikkoman and ninebillion.
:thumbup:

Lets get all the BCM '09 folks living in Austin together for a drink. Post if you are interested and we'll pick a place.

\m/ hookem

utlake said:
Lets get all the BCM '09 folks living in Austin together for a drink. Post if you are interested and we'll pick a place.

\m/ hookem

Im interested, but maybe we should wait a few months, till more folk have heard back.

on that note, anyone still waiting to hear?
i'm not sure if i even care to hear anymore...

calstudent said:

Don't stress it. I did, but then sat back, and said 'hey, so what if i dont get in to Baylor.' Doesn't help to wonder or worry at all. It'll happen if its gonna happen.

*crosses fingers* so what if i dont get into baylor.

haha, have a good week everyone...

utlake said:

\m/ hookem

That sounds cool.

calstudent said:

No word since October 8th....if it happens, great.....if not, so the cookie crumbles....mmmm cookies

jdovez said:
No word since October 8th....if it happens, great.....if not, so the cookie crumbles....mmmm cookies

I'll take an interview...

so do new acceptances tend to be the monday after an interview date? or do they come anytime? THanks

lmnop said:
so do new acceptances tend to be the monday after an interview date? or do they come anytime? THanks

Dr. Bradshaw called me at 9:30 on a Friday night, one week after I interviewed. The admissions committee lets him know who to call, and he just makes the calls when he has time. About a week and a half after I got the call, the official acceptance letter came in the mail.

So who which Doctors are conducting the interviews?

Dr. Speed said:

I had a pediatric hematologist/oncologist and an MD researching on diabetes.

Dr. Speed said:

I had a nurse (public health/epidemiology prof.) and a 4th year.

Dr. Speed said:

I had a pediatrician, and a hand surgeon.

latinfridley - Was the hand surgeon Dr. Epstein? And was the pediatricial Grace Villareal by any chance?

BaylorLion said:
latinfridley - Was the hand surgeon Dr. Epstein? And was the pediatricial Grace Villareal by any chance?

I only saw Dr. Villarreal during the larger presentation during my interview day, but she seemed amazing. Full of energy and just a great person. Unfortunately, I did not "click" with my interviewer at all. Thems the breaks I guess

BaylorLion said:

Yup, it sure was. Nice enough guy, but very serious.

I had Dr. Epstein too; nice guy, I think he does a lot of interviews (my student host said). And, a pediatric cardiac surgeon who was also great.
But, still no love from Baylor.

latinfridley said:
Yup, it sure was. Nice enough guy, but very serious.

oh, and I did not have Dr. Villareal. The pediatrician's name was Angel Vallejo.

I was just wondering because Villareal and Epstein interviewed me for Baylor, and you got in soon after you interviewed. I was trying to see if they were the "good luck two" to get.

Epstein's a great guy - he came to teach us about clinical hand anatomy way back in Block I and was really awesome as a lecturer. He's a pretty big deal in the medical world as a hand surgeon, apparently, and drives a shiny new Porsche. :p (As does Dr. Debakey, apparently - friends have seen him toolin' down University in it)

Villareal is the best interviewer - she goes through your whole application with you and asks why you picked certain classes that stand out to her, why you've done certain things. It's a very relaxed, low-key interview. I don't know if she interviews anymore, now that she's become the Asst. Dean of Admissions. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't know how bigshot my interviewers were, otherwise I'd have been (more) nervous.

RunMimi - you probably had Cassius (aka Dr. Bordelon). Very nice guy as well. I see you picked Vanderbilt over UVa? I guess Vandy Med has a slightly higher reputation, but UVa really impressed me when I was there. Can't go wrong with those two choices.

For those of you who are still waiting to here from Baylor (or other schools), relax. It's still really early - I got my first acceptance about 3 days from today, so you people who have 3 in your pocket have no sympathy from me. :p

And Baylor's policy is to not fill up the class until they've interviewed everyone they're going to - so there's probably still a lot of spots up for grabs. This school is slow in making decisions, but it's pretty fair, I think, and it means they do a pretty decent (definitely not perfect, but decent) job of finding great future physicians who will be great Baylor students.