Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
curlycity said:
There are student-run, physician/faculty supported, 'official' interest groups for the major fields, but I'm interested in something less popular so I just called up the residency office here at Baylor a couple of months ago (I'm MS-1) and their coordinator put me in touch with a very student-friendly, high-up gentleman who took out an hour of his morning to talk with me, and invited me to see surgeries with him for a day. Of course the 3rd and 4th year med students who *had* to be there that day thought I was crazed, but the point is, there are lots of opportunities to meet excellent mentors and get a look at a day in the life of a lot of specialties very early on. That's one of the major reasons I'm happy to be here, not necessarily the brilliant metabolism lectures.

Hope this helps :)

It does. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hey all..

have there been any december acceptances to anyone's knowledge?

~LRmed

anyone know when the last invites will be sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
utlake said:
Do any current BCM students suggest a motor-scooter for driving to the med center?
I've heard that it's free to park motorcycles and scooters in that lot near the Baylor basic science building. Is this true?

Yes, there's free motorcycle & scooter parking in all the surrounding garages, at least 3 that I know of for sure. I see people on motor scooters and there are several motorcyclists in our class.

I bicycle when it's not cold or rainy, or else walk to the train station snug in a coat or under an umbrella. I think either is equal to or faster than sitting in traffic, plus being a few minutes of exercise.

The nice thing about the TMC, comparing it to ultracrowded big cities, is that it's surrounded by trails and sidewalks if you're going pedestrian, but there is plenty of parking available if you're in a pinch and really need to drive.

Students also just got a free lot to use after hours out front.

The ultimate solution: apartment complexes with free shuttles *jealous* :D

curlycity said:
Yes, there's free motorcycle & scooter parking in all the surrounding garages, at least 3 that I know of for sure. I see people on motor scooters and there are several motorcyclists in our class.

I bicycle when it's not cold or rainy, or else walk to the train station snug in a coat or under an umbrella. I think either is equal to or faster than sitting in traffic, plus being a few minutes of exercise.

The nice thing about the TMC, comparing it to ultracrowded big cities, is that it's surrounded by trails and sidewalks if you're going pedestrian, but there is plenty of parking available if you're in a pinch and really need to drive.

Students also just got a free lot to use after hours out front.

The ultimate solution: apartment complexes with free shuttles *jealous* :D

How does the housing situation look? I've been doing some real estate searches in central and southwest Houston and I'm getting really confused. I see condos that go for $40-$55k that look decent and are within 5 miles of TCM. Then, when I look at rent, I see $600-$900 / month in the same area.

If you're paying $900 / month in rent, you're shelling out the price of one of these condos after 4 years. I'm pretty sure I'm missing some basic concept here, but I'm trying to figure out why renting with these prices is a better gig than buying. Any thoughts?

Sigma said:
How does the housing situation look? I've been doing some real estate searches in central and southwest Houston and I'm getting really confused. I see condos that go for $40-$55k that look decent and are within 5 miles of TCM. Then, when I look at rent, I see $600-$900 / month in the same area.

If you're paying $900 / month in rent, you're shelling out the price of one of these condos after 4 years. I'm pretty sure I'm missing some basic concept here, but I'm trying to figure out why renting with these prices is a better gig than buying. Any thoughts?

There are people who aren't in medical school living around the med center who won't be there for 4 years. There are people who can't afford the down payment on a condo when they begin school. There are people who do not want the responsibility of owning a home or condo and would rather have a landlord. There are people who want to live in the med center for a little bit while taking their time to look into other housing options, rather than rushing into the first condo they see. There are people who can't afford the mortgage, plus property tax (heavy in Texas, especially Harris county), plus homeowners insurance, plus general upkeep expenses.

In other words, there are plenty of reasons that the renters marker is strong around the med center, and basically, the reasons are the same for anyone in any city.

Sigma said:

We're paying an arm, leg, and kidney in rent, but we deliberately don't want to buy because we like paying someone else to keep the place gorgeous, secure, and maintained. If we don't like it, we can move, or get an annoying neighbor kicked out, whereas with a condo that's a lot harder to arrange. Also, condos have maintenance fees and other issues that increase the monthly cost. But I think the people in our class who bought condos and then got a roommate to help with expenses are pretty happy with their choices. Just keep in mind that there's a lot of construction going on, a lot of brand new condos going up, and that's going to depress the value of your property in four years when you try to sell. Everyone has different preferences and needs - we just don't want to own anything right now and would prefer to continue living in Hotel Esplanade :) I think ms. a's idea about moving here to look around for a while before buying is a great one - that was one of our concerns, getting to know the area before we buy anything, and we discovered West U and now fantasize about owning a castle over there.

P.S. Ms. A., hope you can make it to champagne brunch tomorrow :D

P.P.S. Wish us luck y'all, comprehensive semester final today!!! :thumbup:

curlycity said:
Just keep in mind that there's a lot of construction going on, a lot of brand new condos going up, and that's going to depress the value of your property in four years when you try to sell.

True, but the Houston housing market is quite stable right now. I've seen condo property values double in the medcenter in the past six years. Even with the construction of new condos, ( 7100 Kirby and the new plans to constrct a 17 story condo on Shakespeare near the village) and if prices slightly depreciate, I still think you will come out better than paying rent each month. Imagine spending or "wasting" (depending on how you feel about it) $550+ per month for an apartment.

Maintenaince fees can be high in condos. For example, I know that the fees for the Medical Center Condos on Cambridge (the grey ones) are $350 for a 2/2.5 this year. However, as curlycity mentioned, its not difficult to find a roommate, and you will most likely come out ahead that way.

Sigma, have you been looking at HAR? I don't recommend the condos on hearth dr. I think those are the ones that are around $40-$55.

any recent baylor acceptances? say, in the last month or so? If yes, when did you interview?

MadameLULU said:
True, but the Houston housing market is quite stable right now. I've seen condo property values double in the medcenter in the past six years. Even with the construction of new condos, ( 7100 Kirby and the new plans to constrct a 17 story condo on Shakespeare near the village) and if prices slightly depreciate, I still think you will come out better than paying rent each month. Imagine spending or "wasting" (depending on how you feel about it) $550+ per month for an apartment.

Maintenaince fees can be high in condos. For example, I know that the fees for the Medical Center Condos on Cambridge (the grey ones) are $350 for a 2/2.5 this year. However, as curlycity mentioned, its not difficult to find a roommate, and you will most likely come out ahead that way.

Sigma, have you been looking at HAR? I don't recommend the condos on hearth dr. I think those are the ones that are around $40-$55.

Thanks for the thoughts, they are sincerely appreciated.

I live in SF right now. In SF, as in most places I believe, rental costs are much less than housing costs. I pay $800/month for a studio. What is even more frightening is that my rent is $200-$400/month cheaper than the average studio. The average mortgage payment is $2,500 - $4,500 / month.
It seemed to me that the reason most people rented as opposed to buy is the fact that rents are cheaper.

Too funny with your "stay away from hearth dr." statement. That's exactly what I saw. What is HAR? I assumed those on hearth dr. were of lesser quality (since they were of lesser price).

I'll give you an imaginary penny for your thoughts (or anyone elses) on good / bad places to live around Baylor.

Sigma said:
Thanks for the thoughts, they are sincerely appreciated.

I'll give you an imaginary penny for your thoughts (or anyone elses) on good / bad places to live around Baylor.

There are a lot of apartments/ townhomes on Morningside or Dryden - all an easy bike ride from Baylor. Or you could live along the metro rail and ride that into the med center. TMC is very friendly to alternative forms of transport (walking, biking, train, shuttle), but not so much for drivers.

fotolilith said:
TMC is very friendly to alternative forms of transport (walking, biking, train, shuttle), but not so much for drivers.

A true irony!

Baylor acceptances anyone???

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations for apartments along the rail? Also, is the rail more efficient than taking the bus (i.e. more frequent pickups)? For those of you living in apartments that offer shuttles to the med center...how does this work? Is it really any more convenient?

Thanks in advance.

The snow is really coming down.....its a FESTIVUS miracle!!

I definitely think the rail is more convenient than the bus (but that may be because I take the bus, and the grass is always greener on the other side). Still, the few times I tried to take the rail at the beginning of the semester, it seemed like there were MUCH more frequent pickups. The bus at its greatest frequency picks up every 20 minutes... and it's not always the most reliable in terms of being there at, say, 7:30 and not leaving until it's 7:30.

BaylorLion said:
I definitely think the rail is more convenient than the bus (but that may be because I take the bus, and the grass is always greener on the other side). Still, the few times I tried to take the rail at the beginning of the semester, it seemed like there were MUCH more frequent pickups. The bus at its greatest frequency picks up every 20 minutes... and it's not always the most reliable in terms of being there at, say, 7:30 and not leaving until it's 7:30.

The rail comes by every 4-6 minutes, which is great, and the only thing I know that has stopped it was some rain that flooded some part of the tracks for a few hours. If you live right on it, you might have to listen to the whistle all the time, but you can decide how much that bothers you. It's not very loud.

A friend is starting residency at Baylor and was curious whether Baylor residents get the free Metro Pass or is it just for students?

latinfridley said:

Does anyone have either:
1) An idea of the cost of a condo in "condoland"
2) Some addresses / area I can specify to see what's available in that area? I keep hearing "condoland", but since I really don't know the area, I'm not really sure where to look. (hehe, I also feel stupid calling up realtors and asking "So, whatcha got in Condoland?".

Thanks!

Sigma said:
Some addresses / area I can specify to see what's available in that area? I keep hearing "condoland", but since I really don't know the area, I'm not really sure where to look.

You can try asking for condominium properties near the Texas Medical Center. One of the "buzzword" thoroughfares is Old Spanish Trail between Reliant Stadium and the Texas Medical Center... Also ask about properties near the MetroRail. That should hook you up -- I'm sure the big real estate conglomerates get inundated with inquiries about medical center condos, so you shouldn't have trouble conveying what you need. I've heard that the best (craziest?) time to buy is between May and July, since that's when a lot of properties go up for sale (people moving on from medical school to residency, or whatever).

Good luck -- I'm currently engaged in the same process. I'm not sure if I'll be attending Baylor, but it's one of my top choices, so I'm keeping a lookout for housing.

Sigma said:
Does anyone have either:
1) An idea of the cost of a condo in "condoland"
2) Some addresses / area I can specify to see what's available in that area? I keep hearing "condoland", but since I really don't know the area, I'm not really sure where to look. (hehe, I also feel stupid calling up realtors and asking "So, whatcha got in Condoland?".

Thanks!
What people refer to as "condoland" is usually the condos (just to name a few: City Place, Riverwalk, Medical Center Condos, Cambridge Glen) on Cambridge Street, Hepburn, and Holly Hall.
City Plaza which is a bit newer is located on OST, as ninebillion mentioned. I
I would also check out 7111 Kirby--they recently opened and I hear they are nice. Good luck!

i assume that its not just me that has noticed that baylor has been holding back the acceptances of late?

IndyZX said:
i assume that its not just me that has noticed that baylor has been holding back the acceptances of late?

Yes....or perhaps those getting accepted just aren't posting here

Brain said:
Yes....or perhaps those getting accepted just aren't posting here

...or perhaps Dean Bradshaw has taken some vacation time...

Have all the Baylor interview invites already been sent out?

congratulations on your acceptance

ho hum...beginning of a new year...it seems the last acceptances were sent out/called in late nov or early december...hopefully, things will pick back up soon. this waiting game is getting old..

~LR

Baylor Lion- and anyone else currently at Baylor-

I am coming to Houston for an interview Friday and I am staying until Sunday morning... do any of you have time for coffee, a drink, dinner, or something? Baylor Lion, I was Columbia College c/o 2002, so I would love to hear about your NYC-Houston transition.

Thanks,

Kim

Hey Kim

Would be more than happy to see you - my cousin'll be in town, so you'll have to put up with both of us. I'll see if I can round up any more Baylorians - I gather from your "location" that you're either at Harvard or MIT pursuing more research or advanced degrees?

Are you interviewing at BCM or UTH?

BaylorLion

Hi BaylorLion,

I am at Harvard, but moved here to do my post-bac pre-med courses last year... I was an econ major at Columbia and an investment banker in what seems like a previous life. I am interviewing at BCM and would love to meet up. My real email is [email protected], and since I was never an actual pre-med, I am not the best at using this site. Anyway, look forward to meeting you, your cousin, and any others this weekend.

Kim

AUSTIN AREA MATCH PARTY class of 2009

Lets have a party in Austin to celebrate acceptance to medical school. It would be a great opportunity to meet future fellow classmates.

For anyone interested, does Friday Feb. 4th sound good?

utlake said:

Lets have a party in Austin to celebrate acceptance to medical school. It would be a great opportunity to meet future fellow classmates.

I'd be interested.

utlake said:

yay that sounds cool! by the way, is anyone still planning on having a baylor class of '09 get together?

Starla3379 said:
yay that sounds cool! by the way, is anyone still planning on having a baylor class of '09 get together?

I think it's still gonna happen, nothin concrete yet though.

I too will be attending Baylor

latinfridley said:
I think it's still gonna happen, nothin concrete yet though.

I would be happy to have a Baylor c/o 2009 get together at my house (near UT) anytime. Or we could meet at a bar or restaurant. Maybe 4th street?

I also think it would be fun to have a big party for all Texas med school folks right after the match. It may be too hard to organize, though.

I am moving in June and am interested in buying a condominium/townhouse...........any suggestions on areas that are not too far from the medical center.

Thanks in advance

Hey all,

Has anyone who has turned in their letter of intent to Baylor received any enrollment info (I haven't turned in the $300 deposit yet though). Thanks for your help.

LRmed2003 said:
ho hum...beginning of a new year...it seems the last acceptances were sent out/called in late nov or early december...hopefully, things will pick back up soon. this waiting game is getting old..

~LR

Seriously, the mailman has not yet given me my acceptance! And something must be wrong with my phone!

Spidey_ss2 said:
Hey all,

Has anyone who has turned in their letter of intent to Baylor received any enrollment info (I haven't turned in the $300 deposit yet though). Thanks for your help.

Nope. Like you, I sent in my acceptance letter, but without the deposit. I'm trying to save up some money for it.

so.....any acceptances for those who interviewed in november? the waiting is killing me! :scared:

i interviewed on 11/19 with a friend, and neither of us have heard anything :(. Then again, neither of us had 40+s and 4.0s, so I figure a little more waiting is reasonable :rolleyes: .

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you are aware if Baylor is done sending out interview invites? I wanna know when it's time to call it quits...

Thank you.

yeah that's when i interviewed too! i loved the school and keep wondering if i should write some sort of letter of interest just to let them know...i've heard baylor is one of the schools that actually likes to hear from you, but i'm in the same boat with the lack of the 45/4.0, and i haven't heard of anyone getting in a while, so i guess i can handle waiting a little longer....good luck to you and your friend, and everyone else waiting to hear!!

In 2003, I interviewed in November, the Friday before Thanksgiving. I heard in mid-April. I had a 30 and 3.8. Many people in my class heard even later. I know, the wait is agonizing, but I think that letters are a good idea, sent to Dr. Bradshaw.

Good luck!

aprilshyla said:
i interviewed on 11/19 with a friend, and neither of us have heard anything :(. Then again, neither of us had 40+s and 4.0s, so I figure a little more waiting is reasonable :rolleyes: .

Hang in there, guys - if you got a Baylor interview, I have no doubt you're going somewhere great by the time this process is done.

This school drags its feet like nothing else...

BaylorLion said:
Hang in there, guys - if you got a Baylor interview, I have no doubt you're going somewhere great by the time this process is done.

This school drags its feet like nothing else...

thanks for the encouragement guys :D

i just wrote a really long rant about the process, but i deleted it cuz we all know what it says :laugh: i'm sucking it up and just sitting tight...and i really hope i end up at baylor, cuz its definitely my #1 :).

I have my interview tomorrow, I am so anxious and excited! Baylor is my #1 as well, and oh would I kill for an acceptance there (well, maybe not kill, but seriuosly maim! :)) Anyhow, Good luck everyone, I am sure you will all get in some great places.