Official: BU MAMS - Entering Fall 2006

Started by djyujin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bat28, thanks for the wonderful information. its great that you guys are so patient with us newbies.

hey, is anyone still looking for an apartment? i would love to room with other MAMS students and am having a hard time finding a place remotely. PM me if anyone's interested. promise i'm a clean and respectful roommate. =)

also, has anyone secured private loans yet? i'm new to the financial aid world and am having a hard time navigating the system.
 
Lu E Lee said:
bat28, thanks for the wonderful information. its great that you guys are so patient with us newbies.

hey, is anyone still looking for an apartment? i would love to room with other MAMS students and am having a hard time finding a place remotely. PM me if anyone's interested. promise i'm a clean and respectful roommate. =)

also, has anyone secured private loans yet? i'm new to the financial aid world and am having a hard time navigating the system.


bat28, mind turning on your pm messages? 🙂
 
makoto00 said:
bat28, mind turning on your pm messages? 🙂

apparently i cant for 24 hours.. i signed up this afternoon so i guess it wont work until tomorrow
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lu E Lee said:
also, has anyone secured private loans yet? i'm new to the financial aid world and am having a hard time navigating the system.

FinAid is easy. Just fill out the FAFSA form.. i think its fafsa.gov-- that will give you access to the federal loans. Sadly, low-interest subsidized (gov't pays the interest while defered) and unsubsidized (interest accumulates and u have to pay it) loans from the government only give you about 18,500 total..

For the rest u will have to get a private loan.. i got the citiassist loan to cover the rest.. call the GMS office and ask them for the financial aid person. She is great and helped me set everything up...

first fill out the fafsa and u will need to get a special PIN. (it takes a couple days to get it after it is requested). then finish the fafsa and Call the Graduate Medical Sciences office about the rest. They will help you sort out the other loan stuff.

**Keep in mind: when getting an apartment, u will prob have to put down first month, last month, and a security deposit immediatly... dont count on the loans for that cash since you dont have access to the loan money until september.
 
Thanks for the help bat28...its been helpful.

1) How spread out are classes during the day typically? For example, did you guys encounter classes back to back throughout the day, or are their classes in the morning, maybe a gap, and then classes again.

I'm still debating the whole south end apartment vs. BU undergrad shuttle which is why I'm asking. If I lived farther away would the only inconvenience be the commute in the morning and evening, or would it be multiple trips, etc.

2) Also, where are most of the labs that you guys worked in...at the BU undergrad campus, or BUMC?

I filed FAFSA, am going to send in the Fed. Funds Request form, as well as the other Stafford Loan Processing form this week, and then I was told over the phone that there was no "award package"...we just assume we got the 18,500.

3) Is this consistent with what you guys know or experienced? There is no letter or anything?

And then they told me to wait until the 2nd week of June or so to file for a private loan to cover the difference. Unfortunately the financial aid person I talked to told me that they had not ever compared the GradPlus loan to the CitiAssist loan. (which seem to be the best to me, correct me if im wrong).

4) Has anyone compared the citiassist loan vs. the grad plus loan? which one is better?


Hope the questions, and potential answers help some of the rest of you out.
 
If any of you guys are looking to room together, I was in Boston two weekends ago and saw several places. I picked the one on clearway st. The other two I liked might still be available. They are both at 73 Park Dr.

Map of 73 Park Dr. Boston, MA

There are two 2-Bedroom apartments, one on the 1st floor and one on the 4th floor. Both bedrooms on the 4th floor look over the park and one of the bedrooms does on the 1st floor apartment. The 1st floor apt was $1595/month the 4th floor was $1650/month. They were both technically 1 bedroom splits but the "living room" was decent the way they had the rooms arranged, especially in the upstairs apt. The view is seriously awesome and only a short walk to Mass Ave for BU shuttle and bus routes.

If youre interested (and if its still available) call Leland - 617-966-2475. Its definitely a cool apartment in a great location for a decent price. They want 1st, last month rent plus 1 month security, but that is standard.
 
I just graduated from The MA in MS program at BU and I have a great 1 bedroom apt available July 1st.

Please PM me if you are interested.

P.S.

I may be willing to throw in some old Biochem exams if you rent the apartment. Which will be helpful b/c more than any of the other courses there are MANY recycled exam questions in biochem.
 
1) You probably wont make mulitple trips back and fourth to campus.. It depends on your exact schedule, but most classes are pretty close together. Even if there is a gap of an hour or two, I usually jsut hang out at chequers (the food place in the basement) and eat lunch, or go to the library and play on the computers for a while.

2) Yea, most of the labs will be at the medical campus. The main campus biology labs tend to lean more toward basic science, i.e. genetics on model systems, rather then something more immediatly biomedical. Although, I do have to admit, the 'library' thesis is not a bad way to go.. especially with the courseload, it can be a pain to have to do research as well. If you are sure you are going to take 2 years and not just one year +summer, then you can do the bulk of the research in the second year.

--not really sure what their 'award package' response means.
 
Star Bright said:
I just graduated from The MA in MS program at BU and I have a great 1 bedroom apt available July 1st.

Please PM me if you are interested.

P.S.

I may be willing to throw in some old Biochem exams if you rent the apartment. Which will be helpful b/c more than any of the other courses there are MANY recycled exam questions in biochem.

Here is more info on my apartment

The rent is $1100/month this includes:

free parking, AC, heat, 24 hour onsite security, 2 tennis courts, fitness center, swimming pool, and technology center.

There is wall to wall carpeting in the apartment, dishwasher, walk in closest and plenty of sunlight. Laundry is on the next floor up.

The #8 bus which goes to BUSM stops directly infront of the apt complex. Travel time 15-25minutes.

Driving it takes 10 minutes but there is no where to park on the medical campus.

You can google the street Harbor Point Blvd. Boston, MA

Many BU GMS, dental and medical students as well as residents live in the complex.

I am looking for someone to take over my lease July 1st-Feb1st. After that they can extend the lease if they like
 
bat28 said:
1) You probably wont make mulitple trips back and fourth to campus.. It depends on your exact schedule, but most classes are pretty close together. Even if there is a gap of an hour or two, I usually jsut hang out at chequers (the food place in the basement) and eat lunch, or go to the library and play on the computers for a while.

2) Yea, most of the labs will be at the medical campus. The main campus biology labs tend to lean more toward basic science, i.e. genetics on model systems, rather then something more immediatly biomedical. Although, I do have to admit, the 'library' thesis is not a bad way to go.. especially with the courseload, it can be a pain to have to do research as well. If you are sure you are going to take 2 years and not just one year +summer, then you can do the bulk of the research in the second year.

--not really sure what their 'award package' response means.

Thanks again for the help...by award package I meant a letter stating how much federal funding you would recieve, but according the BU financial person, there is no letter and we should just assume we got everything. this seemed odd to me, because I didn't think everyone would be eligilble to recieve all 18,500, but apparently I was wrong.

Also, I was wondering if you were questioned by any med schools (you said you applied a bunch which is why Im asking) about your not doing a lab thesis and doing the library thesis instead. Do you have other prior lab experience?
 
Yea, they pretty much just give you the money automatically. When you register for a BU email account you will have access to all the loan awards info via the studentlink.. www.bu.edu/studentlink

It wasn't an issue at all with medical schools regaurding lab versus library thesis.. AS an undergrad i did genetics research for a couple years, so if you dont have any lab experience at all you will have access to plenty of labs to get some.. It helps in the 'research activities' section of the AMCAS, and i'm sure it depends on the school...but once i got to the interviews they weren't too worried about my thesis.

The library thesis can be on almost anything, including clinical stuff -- one of my classmates did a paper looking at the the research Merck had prior to the whole Vioxx mess and whether they had enough information to have forseen the problem before the drug went to market. On the other hand, I am doing mine on a bioethics topic, so it is strickly philosophical.

Most interviewers asked what i was doing, but it didnt seem to matter at all that i wasnt in a wet lab doing cancer research.
 
Does anyone know if BU MAMS is still accepting applications for fall 2006..thanks!!
also what are the standard GRE scores...@ 1200? Does anyone have any tips for studying for the GRE i already have studied for the MCAT and took it this past April...thanks :laugh:
 
waterlivergirl said:
Does anyone know if BU MAMS is still accepting applications for fall 2006..thanks!!
also what are the standard GRE scores...@ 1200? Does anyone have any tips for studying for the GRE i already have studied for the MCAT and took it this past April...thanks :laugh:

I was accepted today, so yes, they are definitely still accepting!
 
CMar830 said:
I was accepted today, so yes, they are definitely still accepting!
thanks for responding if you don't mind me asking did you take the GRE or MCAT? thank you and how long till you found out you whether you were accepted or waitlisted...thank you
 
waterlivergirl said:
Does anyone know if BU MAMS is still accepting applications for fall 2006..thanks!!

Although they might still be sending out acceptance emails, if you have not yet submitted your application you might be out of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to know how large the class size is for '06 but they told me that info was confidential. Do any past students know about how many students were in there class?
 
Star Bright said:
I may be willing to throw in some old Biochem exams if you rent the apartment.

I don't need the place but if youre lookin to get rid of those exams I will gladly take them off your hands 😀
 
waterlivergirl said:
thanks for responding if you don't mind me asking did you take the GRE or MCAT? thank you and how long till you found out you whether you were accepted or waitlisted...thank you

I took the MCAT (33Q), and have a 3.28 from Penn. I was complete on May 11th, and was accepted May 31st. Good luck!
 
etikit said:
I wanted to know how large the class size is for '06 but they told me that info was confidential. Do any past students know about how many students were in there class?


Looks like your class is going to be about 200 kids....
 
waterlivergirl said:
Does anyone know if BU MAMS is still accepting applications for fall 2006..thanks!!
also what are the standard GRE scores...@ 1200? Does anyone have any tips for studying for the GRE i already have studied for the MCAT and took it this past April...thanks :laugh:

While they may still accept an application, it is quite late in the process, many students have already been waitlisted and should be hearing from BU soon. Unless your numbers are off the charts, I would recommend calling Natasha Hall and see what she has to say about it.
 
jklasser17 said:
While they may still accept an application, it is quite late in the process, many students have already been waitlisted and should be hearing from BU soon. Unless your numbers are off the charts, I would recommend calling Natasha Hall and see what she has to say about it.
Hi i contacted Natasha hall and she said they accept applications until August 1st and that I could still apply. She asked me my gpa and some other questions and then i told i was taking the GRE and she said to just apply. She seems very nice.
Has anyone who is accepted into BUMAMS taken the GRE and what if so are your scores roundly....thanks :laugh:
 
waterlivergirl said:
Hi i contacted Natasha hall and she said they accept applications until August 1st and that I could still apply. She asked me my gpa and some other questions and then i told i was taking the GRE and she said to just apply. She seems very nice.
Has anyone who is accepted into BUMAMS taken the GRE and what if so are your scores roundly....thanks :laugh:


Alright, Good Luck!! 🙂
 
waterlivergirl said:
Hi i contacted Natasha hall and she said they accept applications until August 1st and that I could still apply. She asked me my gpa and some other questions and then i told i was taking the GRE and she said to just apply. She seems very nice.
Has anyone who is accepted into BUMAMS taken the GRE and what if so are your scores roundly....thanks :laugh:


I got into BU with a 500 Verbal / 770 Quantitative and a 5.0 whatever that is. I also took the MCAT and got a 30P. I sent them both my scores because I thought, hey, what the hell.
 
HouseIsMyHero said:
I got into BU with a 500 Verbal / 770 Quantitative and a 5.0 whatever that is. I also took the MCAT and got a 30P. I sent them both my scores because I thought, hey, what the hell.

Hi
I was wondering for those that have applied/accepted what did you focus your personal statements on, the prompt is a little vague i thought. Because if you submit a resume than wouldn't all of your research, studies, activities, etc. by included there.....ANy help would be much appreciated thanks!! :laugh:
 
Do students on the 2-year track at BU typically apply to medical school during the summer before their second year in the program, or do most wait until they finish the program, leaving a so-called "glide" year?

More questions to come, but I thought I'd make it simple for now... :meanie:
 
CMar830 said:
Do students on the 2-year track at BU typically apply to medical school during the summer before their second year in the program, or do most wait until they finish the program, leaving a so-called "glide" year?

More questions to come, but I thought I'd make it simple for now... :meanie:

If you enter the Fall of 2006, you will complete your coursework by June 2007 allowing you to apply in the 2007-2008 cycle for matriculation in 2008.

The coursework will not take you two years to complete (barring any unusual circumstances). The coursework will take you one year and then you will apply during the second year. I'd say more than half the class will be somewhere else next year and not at BU.
 
jklasser17 said:
If you enter the Fall of 2006, you will complete your coursework by June 2007 allowing you to apply in the 2007-2008 cycle for matriculation in 2008.

The coursework will not take you two years to complete (barring any unusual circumstances). The coursework will take you one year and then you will apply during the second year. I'd say more than half the class will be somewhere else next year and not at BU.

Wow, so half the class finishes in a year? I guess I assumed it was the minority that did this.

Thank you 🙂 That's a big help in planning my timeline, especially since it looks like I'll be retaking the MCAT (mine will expire by next year's app cycle).
 
CMar830 said:
Wow, so half the class finishes in a year? I guess I assumed it was the minority that did this.

Thank you 🙂 That's a big help in planning my timeline, especially since it looks like I'll be retaking the MCAT (mine will expire by next year's app cycle).

Sorry, let me put it this way. 99% of the class finishes coursework within a year. It's just that about half (or less), like myself, are sticking around to do research next year at BU (either to complete the research thesis or just bc they really like Boston and want to make some money).

Whether you go to G-town or to BU you will be finished your coursework by June of 2007. BU just encourages you to apply after you have finished the program in order to best present yourself to a medical school.

However, as bat28 has done, more than enough people in the BU program apply concurrently, and some of them will be beginning med school this fall.
 
jklasser17 said:
Sorry, let me put it this way. 99% of the class finishes coursework within a year. It's just that about half (or less), like myself, are sticking around to do research next year at BU (either to complete the research thesis or just bc they really like Boston and want to make some money).

Whether you go to G-town or to BU you will be finished your coursework by June of 2007. BU just encourages you to apply after you have finished the program in order to best present yourself to a medical school.

However, as bat28 has done, more than enough people in the BU program apply concurrently, and some of them will be beginning med school this fall.

For people who stay at BU for another year, can you get paid to do research? I've asked this before, but the answers I got were vague. Put it another way, if I was able to find a supervisor while doing a lab thesis that would be willing to pay me to stay a year, could he pay me like any other grad student where i'd get a stipend and have tuition paid for and i could tutor, TA, etc, or would i have to pay 100,000 for two years?
 
HouseIsMyHero said:
For people who stay at BU for another year, can you get paid to do research? I've asked this before, but the answers I got were vague. Put it another way, if I was able to find a supervisor while doing a lab thesis that would be willing to pay me to stay a year, could he pay me like any other grad student where i'd get a stipend and have tuition paid for and i could tutor, TA, etc, or would i have to pay 100,000 for two years?

You won't pay much extra money to stay for the second year. It's like $2000 per semester.

As far as getting a job... I think that it is possible to get paid while doing your thesis, but I would assume that you would get paid more like a lab assistant. Probably $10-15 per hour. Getting paid for your thesis would seem to be pretty lucky though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HouseIsMyHero said:
For people who stay at BU for another year, can you get paid to do research? I've asked this before, but the answers I got were vague. Put it another way, if I was able to find a supervisor while doing a lab thesis that would be willing to pay me to stay a year, could he pay me like any other grad student where i'd get a stipend and have tuition paid for and i could tutor, TA, etc, or would i have to pay 100,000 for two years?


You are only required to pay for four semesters of tuition. Fall 2006 17k, Spring 2007 17k, Summer I 2k, Summer II 2k. That being said, if you decide to stay for the next fall and do a research thesis you would just utilize one of the summer payments and pay 2k for that semester.

For example, I will be taking a couple courses next Fall for my own edification along with working in a lab. I will pay BU 2k plus a little bit for the credits I'm taking. BU will pay me a lab assistant wage for my work in a lab.

Hope that clears it up a bit.
 
jklasser17 said:
You are only required to pay for four semesters of tuition. Fall 2006 17k, Spring 2007 17k, Summer I 2k, Summer II 2k. That being said, if you decide to stay for the next fall and do a research thesis you would just utilize one of the summer payments and pay 2k for that semester.

For example, I will be taking a couple courses next Fall for my own edification along with working in a lab. I will pay BU 2k plus a little bit for the credits I'm taking. BU will pay me a lab assistant wage for my work in a lab.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Thanks, that helps quite a bit on deciding whether or not to wait a year to re-apply.
 
I just got a call a few minutes ago from the Dean of admissions from UMDNJ... i got taken off the waitlist and he told me they wanted me there for the fall.

Ok, I dont think I am crazy, but I told him no thank you. I told him that I had already commited to the BU program and had signed my lease and everything already. I spoke with him last year a few times and he likes me and was very supportive of my decision. He told me he's going to try to get my acceptance deferred for a year.

Basically, i really want to go to RWJ medical school. I know people dont always get a chance like this. And i KNOW it's insane to turn down a medical school acceptance. However, both my interviewers as well as they dean who called today told me that if i had applied on time last year I would have got in no problem. So I am thinking i can pull off an acceptance by applying early June this cycle and start right after Im done at BU.... I really need to get away for a year. I love Boston I need to do it for myself.

Please anybody just tell me that I am still sane after not jumping right on the medical school offer.
 
I just finished the GMS program at BU and I am looking for someone to take over my lease. So if you are still looking for an apartment in a safe area with a good commute to the medical campus please PM.

Apartment Available July 1st.

1 Bedroom Apartment

Plenty of Sun
wall to wall carpet
walk in closet in Bedroom
Modern kitchen
Separate coat and linen closet


Rent $1,100
Includes:
AC
Heat
Free onsite Parking!
Fitness center!
Swimming Pools!
2 Tennis Courts!
24 hour onsite security
24 hour onsite maintenance

Harbor Point Apartment

Jogging Trail along Boston Harbor

On # 8 bus route to BUMC (BU Medical/Dental School)

Walking Distance to JFK/UMASS Red Line T stop (MGH on redline and Harvard main campus)

Walking Distance to Longwood Medical Area Shuttle (Harvard Medical/Dental Schools, Bostons Childrens Hospital, Brigham and Womens Hospital, Beth Isreal Hospital and More)
 
osin83 said:
I just got a call a few minutes ago from the Dean of admissions from UMDNJ... i got taken off the waitlist and he told me they wanted me there for the fall.

Ok, I dont think I am crazy, but I told him no thank you. I told him that I had already commited to the BU program and had signed my lease and everything already. I spoke with him last year a few times and he likes me and was very supportive of my decision. He told me he's going to try to get my acceptance deferred for a year.

Basically, i really want to go to RWJ medical school. I know people dont always get a chance like this. And i KNOW it's insane to turn down a medical school acceptance. However, both my interviewers as well as they dean who called today told me that if i had applied on time last year I would have got in no problem. So I am thinking i can pull off an acceptance by applying early June this cycle and start right after Im done at BU.... I really need to get away for a year. I love Boston I need to do it for myself.

Please anybody just tell me that I am still sane after not jumping right on the medical school offer.

Well, give the dean my number, and let him know that if you aren't taking it I will!!!

😀


On a serious note, it is not a guarantee you will do well in the BU program. It is rather demanding and will take a lot of work. If you just need to get away for a year, ask them if you can defer. Come up to Boston and get a job, do not do the MAMS program, and enjoy yourself.
 
osin83 said:
I just got a call a few minutes ago from the Dean of admissions from UMDNJ... i got taken off the waitlist and he told me they wanted me there for the fall.

Ok, I dont think I am crazy, but I told him no thank you. I told him that I had already commited to the BU program and had signed my lease and everything already. I spoke with him last year a few times and he likes me and was very supportive of my decision. He told me he's going to try to get my acceptance deferred for a year.

Basically, i really want to go to RWJ medical school. I know people dont always get a chance like this. And i KNOW it's insane to turn down a medical school acceptance. However, both my interviewers as well as they dean who called today told me that if i had applied on time last year I would have got in no problem. So I am thinking i can pull off an acceptance by applying early June this cycle and start right after Im done at BU.... I really need to get away for a year. I love Boston I need to do it for myself.

Please anybody just tell me that I am still sane after not jumping right on the medical school offer.

We have quizzes this week and finals next, so I havent been posting in a while, but I just had to reply to this--Dude, you are crazy if you don't take the acceptance. Ask Broitman or Selwyn, they will advise you to go with the sure thing. If you get a 3.3 or something in the program, you'll never get an MD from a US Allopathic school. I have never heard of people getting deferred without a reasonable excuse that is approved by the med school--i'd be shocked if taking med school classes at another med school for an MA would qualify as reasonable.

I would kill for an acceptance anywhere even UMDNJ, and I have a 4.0 at BU. I'm just shaking my head in shock reading this.
 
ok just a little confused...is there no way to directly matriculate into med skl after completing the 1 year at bu?
i thought that matriculation would be right after the program unless a retake of the august mcat was required, in which case matriculation would be another yr later
 
osin83 said:
I just got a call a few minutes ago from the Dean of admissions from UMDNJ... i got taken off the waitlist and he told me they wanted me there for the fall.

Ok, I dont think I am crazy, but I told him no thank you. I told him that I had already commited to the BU program and had signed my lease and everything already. I spoke with him last year a few times and he likes me and was very supportive of my decision. He told me he's going to try to get my acceptance deferred for a year.

Basically, i really want to go to RWJ medical school. I know people dont always get a chance like this. And i KNOW it's insane to turn down a medical school acceptance. However, both my interviewers as well as they dean who called today told me that if i had applied on time last year I would have got in no problem. So I am thinking i can pull off an acceptance by applying early June this cycle and start right after Im done at BU.... I really need to get away for a year. I love Boston I need to do it for myself.

Please anybody just tell me that I am still sane after not jumping right on the medical school offer.

Dude. Take it. I would so take it.
 
I have been talking to the dean over the past few days about my decision. I feel I made the right one. He seems like he really wants me at that school. So I see it as a year of better preparing myself for med school. I know I am prepared and have the ability to do well at BU. Reinforcement of the basic science years in med school will definitely help me out in my oppinion once i finally matriculate.

I'm sending out my applications again next week and I have a really good feeling about this cycle. Sooo.. whoever got my spot this year in the class... GOOD LUCK!!! and to whoever I will be keeping out next year, SUX TO BE YOU!!!
 
juvz said:
ok just a little confused...is there no way to directly matriculate into med skl after completing the 1 year at bu?
i thought that matriculation would be right after the program unless a retake of the august mcat was required, in which case matriculation would be another yr later

if you want to do this, apply right now...
 
osin83 said:
I have been talking to the dean over the past few days about my decision. I feel I made the right one. He seems like he really wants me at that school. So I see it as a year of better preparing myself for med school. I know I am prepared and have the ability to do well at BU. Reinforcement of the basic science years in med school will definitely help me out in my oppinion once i finally matriculate.

I'm sending out my applications again next week and I have a really good feeling about this cycle. Sooo.. whoever got my spot this year in the class... GOOD LUCK!!! and to whoever I will be keeping out next year, SUX TO BE YOU!!!

I think you made a good decision. this is only going to give you the edge and keep you ahead of the game in med school. sometimes you gotta stick with your gut and see what happens. at the least, i would try to defer your acceptance so that you dont even have to reapply. people dont succeed in life by always taking the easy way...big risk, big reward. just my two cents.

by the way, im in Boston right now....went apartment hunting looking for studios in the back bay, close to the huntington and mass ave intersection. you dont get much for your money out here in terms of studios. they are old, not well maintained, and tiny.....this goes for about half of the ones i looked at. which were around 1000, full fee, some no fee. the ones that were closer to 1150 with a full fee were a little bit better. the one i like most was on Westland Ave...great location.

I have a tour of the med campus today, and I'm gonna check out some places in the South End. I hear its a predominantly gay neighborhood, and there are some ghetto parts, but ill let you know after I see it first hand.

If anybody has any questions, cause I sure had a tonload before I came out here, let them rip and ill give it my best shot.

By the way, if anybody reading this has a place they want to rent or needs a roomate for sept. 1, please get a hold of me. PM or email.
 
westland ave is a great spot... I'll be a block up Mass Ave on clearway. Good luck with everything today!!
 
Yo, what do you guys think about sticking 3 people in a 2br? I'm looking for a place around Central Sq. in Cambridge with two of my friends, it's a convenient location for them. I also want to live a little away from South End, nam'sayin. Anyone know anything about Boston/Cambridge apt. sizes? Would it be livable? This is going to be my first apt. so I'm pretty n00bish about it all.
 
if youre livin in cambridge you are going to have a nice lil' commute each day
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
choweee said:
Yo, what do you guys think about sticking 3 people in a 2br? I'm looking for a place around Central Sq. in Cambridge with two of my friends, it's a convenient location for them. I also want to live a little away from South End, nam'sayin. Anyone know anything about Boston/Cambridge apt. sizes? Would it be livable? This is going to be my first apt. so I'm pretty n00bish about it all.


Boston apartments are small to begin with. I don't think this is the year you want to be depressed because your living situation sucks. This is my own personal opinion, but I figured 100 or 200 bucks more in rent per month was not going to break the bank in the long term. I mean, you are spending so much to go to this program, another grand or two probably will not make a difference down the line. Just scrimp in other areas and make sure you have a place you can go home to and relax. If you hate your living situation, you will be miserable, and this is the year you need to be as unburdened as possible.

Just my 2 cents. 😀
 
i'm currently living in a studio, paying 900, including all utilities...which is a pretty good deal if you ask me. the thing is, it's in a basement, which might not be so great (ie dark, etc). if you look REALLY hard (and smaller size is okay...if living alone), you can find good deals on studios etc.

roomming with people is another option if you want to save some $$
 
Yeah... I figured I would just jump on the #1 in the morning. I know it can take a while w/ traffic, but at least I won't have to switch buses or subway lines or anything like that. I think that makes it more convenient in a way.

I was looking at Central Square because some of the apts there are pretty spacious for decent rates. #1 into Back Bay, red line into downtown Boston and Harvard Square (and my roommate will M2 it over to Longwood where he's working). Also, I'll be a quick subway ride away from the awesome Japanese food over at Porter 😀



gh said:
i'm currently living in a studio, paying 900, including all utilities...which is a pretty good deal if you ask me. the thing is, it's in a basement, which might not be so great (ie dark, etc). if you look REALLY hard (and smaller size is okay...if living alone), you can find good deals on studios etc.

roomming with people is another option if you want to save some $$
 
Just curious how is the BU Courseload compared to the Georgetown SMP courseload? What are the pros and cons of each? I think that would help a lot of people picking between the two.
 
Hey,

This goes out to anyone who has a 2 bedroom apt available. Please PM me! My best friend and I will be entering grad students and were looking for a place.. We're from the West Coast and will be making a visit out to Boston in July.. please let me know (as well as any tips on apt hunting too!)

Thanks