Official: BU MAMS - Entering Fall 2006

Started by djyujin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
d.parikh said:
Hey everyone,

This is my first post to SDN. I've been reading a lot about the BU program and am excited at the opportunity I received a few days ago to attend. However, I had some questions that I am hoping some of you might be able to clear up.

I've taken the last two years off after graduating from college to improve my GPA (taking courses through Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies) and have been working in a research lab at Northwestern University. My goal is to complete this program within a year and start medical school in the fall of 2007.

If I enroll into the BU program and want to complete the program within a year, can I use my research from the previous two years as part of the research thesis? Or do I have to find another research advisor in Boston and start over? Do students work on their library thesis while taking courses or use time in June to complete the paper? What specifically entails writing a library/research thesis as far as length and content?

Thanks guys.

I've read that if you do the 1-year track, you do the library thesis and not the research one. I don't know if there are exceptions to this. It makes sense to me since you're cramming classes into 1 year that could be taken in 2, which leaves little time for much else, especially research.
 
how long into the summer does the library thesis go? beside histo, are there other courses you can take over the summer to finish your thesis earlier?
 
Does anybody know the percentage of people who do the UMDNJ program who go onto med school as opposed to BU's program?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
d.parikh said:
how long into the summer does the library thesis go? beside histo, are there other courses you can take over the summer to finish your thesis earlier?


If you are really motivated you can finish everything (library thesis) btwn Sep 06 and June 07.
That is mostly contigent on you writing up the thesis. You will have finished up all the required coursework by June 15.
 
jklasser17 said:
On the previous page, I posted the basic schedule for the MAMS program. You will get into one of the two basic schedules. The earlier you get accepted the more likely you are to get the first one. I cannot stress this enough, but one schedule is not necessarily better than the other; it just boils down to classroom size management.

I just want to reiterate to everyone, I know you are anxious about everything (I'm a Type A too). Don't be. I know it is tough to make a decision on where you want to go to school; but once you have decided that, it's time to relax and wait for the step ahead.

BU does a very good job of taking care of you once you're in the program. There is a reason orientation is as long as it is, and the first thing they hand you is a 3-inch ring binder that basically answers every question you have. During orientation you will have a chance to meet your advisor and finalize your class schedule. I'd say a solid 75% of the class didn't change their schedule a bit.

As far as doing a research thesis goes, you do not need to worry about that immediately. Your advisor can help recommend a PI that would be of interest to you. I would most definitely not recommend trying to do research while you are taking courses in the MAMS program. First and foremost is your grades. You could cure cancer while in the program, but if you have a 2.0, you are not getting into medical school.

That is another thing I would stress to everyone who has been accepted. Congratulations, the first tough step is over. The next step is your coursework, worry about it when you have to worry about it, and only worry about it. Everything else is secondary to your coursework. A lot of people wonder what they are going to do in the 2nd year, and I know I did too. The key, however, is to worry about the first year first. What you do in the first year determines whether or not you get into medical school. A lot of things can happen between Aug 2006 and June 2007. Take the program one step at a time, do not be afraid to talk to your advisor and see what the best approach is for you. Do not be in a rush to take your MCAT's again or accomplish groundbreaking research, those are ancillary to the goal at hand.


I know I repeated many things in my post above, but I feel it is appropriate. I know the apprehension, I have been there. And the voice of experience says, just chill until orientation and then worry about all the other stuff. Do not get ahead of yourself and enjoy life! 🙂


thank you for this =)
 
I will be attending the BU MAMS program this Fall 2006 as well. Now to find affordable housing.
 
So right now I am very torn. Initially I was very interested in taking the histology class this summer, but after reading some of the posts I'm not sure what I want to do. Obviously I don't want to start off the program taking a class I won't do well in, but it would also kindof be nice to take the class when I don't have to focus on anything else. I was wondering if anyone who had taken the class had a copy of the class syllabus they might be able to e-mail me or something like that. At this point I'm leaning towards not taking the class just because I don't want to risk getting a bad grade, but I'd like to have as much information as possible before making my final decision.
 
I just want to make clear that it is not necessary to take Histo in the summer in order to complete the coursework in a year.

If you are wondering what the course is like visit www.bu.edu/histology

If you think you can memorize all the slides plus form and function within six weeks, then it is your perogative to take the course.
 
I've decide to go to BU's MAMS program this fall. How expensive are studio apartments? I have a feeling they're gonna be quite pricey.... if somebody wants to get a 2 bedroom I'm down. Just PM me.
 
djyujin said:
I've decide to go to BU's MAMS program this fall. How expensive are studio apartments? I have a feeling they're gonna be quite pricey.... if somebody wants to get a 2 bedroom I'm down. Just PM me.



I've said it on this thread before, a studio apartment runs around $1000, and a one bedroom can often be found at the same price or less, so you should really be looking for one bedrooms. Watch out for fees, which are usually one months rent. You can negotiate those and try to get the owner to pick them up, or only pay a 1/3 or something.

Also, a lot of places include heat and hot water. This is somewhat important, as heating bills can really add up in the northeast, particularly if your apt is not well insulated, so look for places that include both in the rent.

Most leases begin in September and end in August, so apartments are gone by July.

'Garden level' is code for basement. It wasn't a big deal to me, since the view out of any apt in the south end pretty much sucks, but it may be for you.

And lastly, most people take this base list of classes:
Fall
Biochem
Histo

Spring
Physio
Endo
Immuno

With one other filler class in each semester. Of the classes on that list, none require attendance (even to the discussions) to do well. You can benefit by showing up for Histo and Physio, but you can also get As by studying diligently and never going to class. Attending the rest is just a waste of time. Plus, many classes (including Physio) include lectures on DVD at the library, in case you need it. My point is, if you are someone who gets bored in lecture and is much more efficient studying at your own pace, living in the South End may not be for you*since its filthy, dangerous and downright depressing. In that case, you have a much wider net to cast for living options. You could opt to live in Back Bay or near the BU undergrad campus or in the Longwood Medical Area.

The BU shuttle bus runs every 15 mins (I think) connecting the undergrad campus to the medical campus. It stops right in front of building L (the main instructional building) and makes stops in the on the way. Best of all, its free, so you should consider living outside of the South End area.

Of the areas outside the medical campus that are accessible by the BU shuttle, the undergrad campus (on Commonwealth Ave) has a ton of shops, restaurants and the Agganis Fitness Center (its new and amazing); the Theater Row area which is in Back Bay, near the intersection of Huntington and Mass Ave, is nice as well. Both of them have direct shuttle stops. You could also live in the berklee college of music area which is a few blocks up from the Huntington Ave stop, but is also nice.

Personally, I prefer studying at Countway (Harvard Medical library), so I stay near Longwood and commute on test/quiz days.

The commute time between these places is also very reasonable. The longest would be to BU undergrad, but even that is only 24 mins on the shuttle.

The T is not accessible to BUMC. The nearest stop is north of Mass and Columbus, which is quite a hike, so do not get a place near a T stop under the assumption that you can use it to get to campus. Plus, the MBTA is raising fares to 1.75, so it will also not be that cheap.

There are two public transport options that are feasible. One is the Silver Line, which runs up and down Washington Ave. The problem is, to the west, Washington Ave goes in Roxbury, and no one should live in Roxbury. And to the east, the apt options get very expensive. The other option is the Mass Ave bus, which runs up and down Mass Ave, from across the bridge in Cambridge, to the BU Med Campus. If you can find an apt near a bus stop anywhere on Mass Ave, it will be an easy commute since the bus drops you off right under Yawkey.

Nonetheless, your best commute option is still the Bu shuttle bus. You can see a map of its route here: http://www.bu.edu/thebus/. Ignore the schedule, it is for summer. It runs more frequently in Fall and Spring.
 
magentamoon said:
So right now I am very torn. Initially I was very interested in taking the histology class this summer, but after reading some of the posts I'm not sure what I want to do. Obviously I don't want to start off the program taking a class I won't do well in, but it would also kindof be nice to take the class when I don't have to focus on anything else. I was wondering if anyone who had taken the class had a copy of the class syllabus they might be able to e-mail me or something like that. At this point I'm leaning towards not taking the class just because I don't want to risk getting a bad grade, but I'd like to have as much information as possible before making my final decision.


Why dont you email Dr. Vaughan and ask her what she thinks. When making your decision, remember this: you will almost assuredly get the same grade in summer that you would have in Fall or Spring. It is more condensed, but in Fall and Spring you have other classes to deal with, and you cant flake on those. The material is not going to get any less challenging in Fall. As far as pacing goes, not all the material in the Fall course is covered in Summer, due to time constraints, so not all of the Fall course is covered over 6 weeks.
 
Thanks for all of the postings. I've been gathering so much information from them and am very excited to be starting in the Fall. Just a couple things about housing...I know there has been many posts about it, but I'm planning on going to Boston sometime in June to check it out (it will be my first time to Boston ever!) and scope out housing. I have also signed up for the OHR listings which have been helpful in getting a good sense of whats out there. Did most of your guys use these listings to find housing? I also tried to apply for a temporary login and password for the roommate matching service on the website but haven't heard back from the office. What is your opinion of the Harrison Court apts? I put my name on the waitlist back in April when I found out I was accepted, just to keep my options open, but what are the chances I would actually get an offer to live there? Is it even worth living there? In the city I currently live, its pretty easy to find an apartment about a month before you need to move in, so will apartments be advertising for sept openings now or not until august? Plus I definitely want to live around other students since I don't know a soul in Boston. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
 
Harrison Court is a major ripoff. Its only saving grace is that it is literally across the street from L building. They dont even include utilities for the outrageous rent. You can save at least a 100 dollars and find a place that is on East Concord--same distance to L building.

Its not a good idea to wait to find an apt in Boston. Most apartments work on a September to August cycle, so they are gone by late June.
 
junebuguf said:
Why dont you email Dr. Vaughan and ask her what she thinks. When making your decision, remember this: you will almost assuredly get the same grade in summer that you would have in Fall or Spring. It is more condensed, but in Fall and Spring you have other classes to deal with, and you cant flake on those. The material is not going to get any less challenging in Fall. As far as pacing goes, not all the material in the Fall course is covered in Summer, due to time constraints, so not all of the Fall course is covered over 6 weeks.


I'm going to have to disagree on this one yet again. You would probably get the same grade if you took Histo the summer AFTER you were in the program. However, if you take it the summer BEFORE you enter the program, it will be very difficult.

I just do not think most kids are ready for the pace and sheer volume of information that will be thrown at them. Biochem (1hr a day) and Biostats (5 hrs for the entire semester) are not a huge time drain anyway, so it is easy to concentrate on Histo.

If we were debating doing Biochem over the summer term, I would suggest the idea. Also, it would be tough to get housing for those six wks.
 
As far as housing goes, the SOONER THE BETTER!!!

Housing in Boston goes off the lot very quickly. I had enough trouble finding a place I wanted to live last April. I had an apt snatched out of my hands overnight.

As JuneBug said, look to live off the BU Shuttle or close to the Mass Ave bus.
You can live across the river in Cambridge, provided that you are close to Mass Ave.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, what would you recommend the latest date be to find an apt in boston for Fall? I'm on the waitlist at Georgetown and they're my first choice (I hate research), but I don't think they will let me know until after June 1st at the earliest.
 
Do grad students have access to the agganis fitness center, or any other gyms. If so, where are the other gyms located? Any around BUMC? Thanks. BTW, I've been struggling figuring out where I want to live and the above posts made life so much easier. thanks a lot.
 
etikit said:
Do grad students have access to the agganis fitness center?

According to the website membership is free for all full-time grad students.
 
Thanks, just checked that out. I think I'm going to live by the 1st or 2nd bus stop near BU undergrad campus.

On a more serious note, for those of you who have done the program, can you provide details on how you financed it. I'm trying to look through all these financial aid packets. It seems I can get around 18,500 in Direct Sub/Unsub. loans, and then the rest needs to be covered by private loans. What private loans did you guys get? What happens if you enter med school, can you still defer? What were your rates? Any help, suggestions, tips...

this fin. aid stuff is pretty crazy, i've never needed a loan for education until now...its quite overwhelming.
 
Also,

1) Is it possible for MAMS students to be Teaching Assistants for undergrad classes?

2) Any luck with scholarships, grants, other sources of $$ ?

3) What did you guys do for medical and dental insurance?

Thanks as usual...sincerely appreciate the help.
 
etikit said:
Do grad students have access to the agganis fitness center, or any other gyms. If so, where are the other gyms located? Any around BUMC? Thanks. BTW, I've been struggling figuring out where I want to live and the above posts made life so much easier. thanks a lot.


Gym membership at Agganis is free for GMS kids. Everything on the undergrad campus is available to you, since you are a BU student.
There is also a gym located across the street from the med campus. The South End Fitness Center is 70bucks for the entire year. You can also use any one of the numerous Boston Sports Clubs in the area, but they are pricey. 😀
 
etikit said:
Also,

3) What did you guys do for medical and dental insurance?

Thanks as usual...sincerely appreciate the help.


I'm not quite sure about scholarships, there aren't any as far as I know. You could be a TA your second year around on the med campus, but I'm not quite sure about the undergrad campus. I know some kids were private tutors for the undergrad campus and made some cash that way, but I wouldn't recommend anything with a heavy time committment.

If you can at all, stay on your parents insurance. If you are relatively fresh out of undergrad, you should be able to stay on your parents account. If not, the school does offer medical insurance. As far as dental goes, if it's going to be ridiculously expensive, and you really don't have any disastorous problems, I would just say screw it. And if you need your teeth cleaned, the dental students are always advertising free cleanings. 😀
 
Some notes about finances:

There are no scholarships, and as far as loans, you should really contact Natasha Hall or somebody in the program office for more info. They send you a really fat packet with all that info when you're accepted.

You can opt to defer most loans (even private) once you enter med school. However, if you have a lag year after completing the coursework requirements and before entering med school where you are not a full-time student, you will have to start making monthly payments, which will be several hundred dollars a month for a 50k loan. Keep that in mind.

Insurance is a requirement at BUMC. You have to prove that you have coverage equal to some standard set by the university. If you do not, you *have* to purchase the university's insurance coverage through Chickering which costs $1200 for the year (its automatically added to your student account), or $800 from January to August, if you join in Spring. A really easy way to save $600, is to buy your own coverage by shopping around on the net. Most young, healthy people should be able to get basic coverage for $50 a month, which would only cost you $600 for the year.

As far as jobs go, the best options are tutoring for the med school classes (Histo, Immuno, Physio, et) which pays $12/hour. You wont be able to get those jobs until after your first year though, and you will also have to do extremely well in the class--if there is competition for the jobs (I cant imagine that there would be, since there are flyers posted everywhere advertising them so they must be desperate) you may have to get an A to tutor the class. The other income option is Kaplan, Princeton Review or Examkrackers MCAT teaching gigs, which pay around $15-$20 an hour. You can get these jobs your first year, but obviously you need to have done very well on the MCAT. However, I would not recommend getting any job your first year, as you really need to concentrate on academics. For instance, the most you could work your first year is 7-10 hours a week. That would pay around $120 a week or $500 a month. Like virtually everyone else in the program, I bust my ass every day without working a part-time job, and I still only barely manage to scrape the underside of an A. If I was working 10 hours a week (and that does not include commute time to and from the job or that I'm usually tired afterwards and cant study), I am positive my grades would suffer in virtually every class. If I'm paying 50k to prove I can get good grades in med school classes, why would I jeapordize that for $500 a month? You are effectively mortgaging a large part of your future for minimal dividends today.
 
junebuguf said:
However, I would not recommend getting any job your first year, as you really need to concentrate on academics. For instance, the most you could work your first year is 7-10 hours a week. That would pay around $120 a week or $500 a month. Like virtually everyone else in the program, I bust my ass every day without working a part-time job, and I still only barely manage to scrape the underside of an A. If I was working 10 hours a week (and that does not include commute time to and from the job or that I'm usually tired afterwards and cant study), I am positive my grades would suffer in virtually every class. If I'm paying 50k to prove I can get good grades in med school classes, why would I jeapordize that for $500 a month? You are effectively mortgaging a large part of your future for minimal dividends today.

👍
This is excellent advice. Take heed.
 
In case people are still waiting to hear back from BU Med Sci, I just heard back on Friday (after sending in my application in early April). I think that they've got quite a few applications they're dealing with this year so while it's hard to be patient, that's what I'd recommend.
 
Hey guys,

So I got accepted to the program about two weeks ago. I've talked to some of you by way of PM about the pros and cons, but really thought it would be really helpful for me to get as many opinions as possible.

I didn't get into med school this year and applied to BU MAMS promptly in early March. I'm graduating from MIT with a 3.4 GPA (3.0 science), a 35 MCAT, and moderate research/volunteer experiences. I've decided my biggest weakness is my GPA; I know it isn't as competitive as it could've been, but I am having a really hard time justifying taking out a 50k loan in order to improve my chances when I reapply. I guess what I mean is, is this the absolute best route for me, given that I definitely want to eventually enter med school? Do I even need this at all, or should I just reapply with the GPA I currently have?

I'm having a really, really tough time with this - I absolutely hate the idea of any extra debt if it's not that necessary - and honestly, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Joseph
 
Is everyone who didn't get accepted waitlisted? Bc if thats true then the email Michelle Hall sent is a little misleading. She said she expected most of the students on the waitlist to be admitted by June 1st. I really want to attend BU. I got into Barry University and they need a decision from me by June 10th so I'm getting antsy. Thanks for any help or advice in advance guys!

shetalweapon
 
I Got My Apartment Taken Care Of And I'm Ready To Goooooooooooo!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
a 2 BR apartment on clearway st. signed a lease with someone who needed a roomate...
 
i guess it would be back bay or symphony.. not exactly sure
 
Hello everyone I just got my acceptance into BU MAMS program. I am really excited and grateful for this opportunity...newayz...I was wondering where most of my fellow classmates will be housing....I've never been to boston..EVER :scared: So I wanna live where most MAMS students will be...and I also wanna be close to the medical campus....any suggestions or comments would be GREAT 😳
 
Let me be more specific...I read the opinions and helpful hints of the previous posts....I was just a little curious as to what specific apartments the students of this years incoming class were looking into
 
luvs2learn said:
Hello everyone I just got my acceptance into BU MAMS program. I am really excited and grateful for this opportunity...newayz...I was wondering where most of my fellow classmates will be housing....I've never been to boston..EVER :scared: So I wanna live where most MAMS students will be...and I also wanna be close to the medical campus....any suggestions or comments would be GREAT 😳

i agree, any suggestions would be great
 
if any MAMS students are looking for roomates or want to get together and rent a place give me holler. I would be willing to live in the South End, close to campus, if I had roomates but otherwise I'm leaning towards living next to one of the BU/BUMC shuttle stops near the BU undergrad campus because there would be more stuff to do around a more student oriented area. (http://www.bu.edu/thebus/routes/inbound.html)

I'm open to other ideas in terms of where to live as well, as long as the commute is feasible. Let me know if you are interested.

Devin
[email protected]
 
etikit said:
if any MAMS students are looking for roomates or want to get together and rent a place give me holler. I would be willing to live in the South End, close to campus, if I had roomates but otherwise I'm leaning towards living next to one of the BU/BUMC shuttle stops near the BU undergrad campus because there would be more stuff to do around a more student oriented area. (http://www.bu.edu/thebus/routes/inbound.html)

I'm open to other ideas in terms of where to live as well, as long as the commute is feasible. Let me know if you are interested.

Devin
[email protected]

If I end up going to BU I'll be looking for a roommate or roommates too. PM me if any of you guys are looking for somebody to room with/study with. I am not loud, smelly, and I'm for the most part, clean.
 
ditto. I'm waiting for Georgetown, but lookin' for roommates at BU, hopefully in the South End. Everything's cool as long as common areas are clean.
 
etikit said:
I'm leaning towards living next to one of the BU/BUMC shuttle stops near the BU undergrad campus because there would be more stuff to do around a more student oriented area.

thats what I recommend also. South End is pretty grimy
 
BU starts in September right? I thought July would be a good time to look for apartments, but y'all are making me nervous, what with already finding apartments and all. Someone please tell me July is not too late.
 
yay, just graduated today... just wondering if any of you going to BU MAMS were still waiting on georgetown? or am I the only one...?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
choweee said:
Hey guys,

So I got accepted to the program about two weeks ago. I've talked to some of you by way of PM about the pros and cons, but really thought it would be really helpful for me to get as many opinions as possible.

I didn't get into med school this year and applied to BU MAMS promptly in early March. I'm graduating from MIT with a 3.4 GPA (3.0 science), a 35 MCAT, and moderate research/volunteer experiences. I've decided my biggest weakness is my GPA; I know it isn't as competitive as it could've been, but I am having a really hard time justifying taking out a 50k loan in order to improve my chances when I reapply. I guess what I mean is, is this the absolute best route for me, given that I definitely want to eventually enter med school? Do I even need this at all, or should I just reapply with the GPA I currently have?

I'm having a really, really tough time with this - I absolutely hate the idea of any extra debt if it's not that necessary - and honestly, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Joseph

Joseph, although your GPA is a bit on the low side, I still think you have a great shot at getting in this year without any additional coursework. Your MCAT is great, and your undergrad school will get you noticed as well. You will just have to be willing to apply to many schools (20+) and be ready to go anywhere in the country. If you choose to do the BU program you will be that much more prepared for med school and will likely get into a few schools. However, the extra year or two in addition to a lot more debt may not be worth it as long as you are willing to go all out this application cycle.
 
Just so everyone knows... July is not too late to find a place to live in Boston. BUT, to find a good place at a good price, you better start asap because they are getting picked up really fast. You dont want to be stuck in a really expensive apartment or located in an area you really dont want to be in.
 
I just finished the Med sci program at BU and am going to BU medical in september.

Where to live: there are plenty of different opinions on this, but i would recommend living near the main campus of BU. There is the T and a medical center shuttle that are easily accessible and it puts you right near the brand new Fitness/rec center (which is probably the best anywhere www.bu.edu/fitrec).. Apts are expensive anywhere in the city, so expect to pay 6-700/person for a 2 bedroom (find a roomate- in the program if u can) and over 1000 for a single. --you also have to factor in Internet/electricity. Comm Ave associates is a good place to start because they dont charge you a realty fee. Best areas are Brookline (near the BU campus), comm ave or beacon street areas. *Just be aware that they are huge streets that go all the way across the city. Overall the main campus area is very safe and easy.

Car: I have always had a car (was an undergrad at BU as well) but getting a parking spot if available is expensive (150+ a month) and there is no good parking at the medical center (with the shuttle it is pointless unless you are running really late).. a car is nice to get out of the city though...

Classes: I took Biochem, Pharm, Physio 1 first, then histo, biostats, physio 2, and endo second semester. I loved how it turned out.. dont take biochem and histo together, it can be overwhelming, and the two part physio instead of the on part is also really good. The benefit of going to BU for medical school after is that first year will be a breeze since I wont have to retake Histo, Biochem, Physio, or Endo.

Applying: I applied once and didnt get in, and while doing the program applied again -shotgun approach- to 23 schools. I got interviews almost everywhere and ended up getting in to a dozen programs.. undergrad gpa will still haunt you a little, but a lot of schools will be more impressed with the MA gpa and MCATs.

-If you have to take MCATs again, after physio, histo, biochem and endo from what i have heard the bio sci section is a joke.

Some of the classes will be with the med students and some will be with just MA students, or with a few PhD or MD/PhD people getting requirements out of the way (liek biostats). The med school classes (biochem, histo, physio, immuno, endo) may or may not be with the med students, but either way the class is the same.

Be aware, that the program is not a bs way of getting into med school.. it is intensive and can hurt as much as help.. B's are not gonna help, you need to gets A's and A-'s. anything less than a B or B+ (b- etc..) will hurt your chances of getting in to med school.

Grading: most of the classes are scaled, but the scales are based on the the last several years, not jsut the individual class. to get an A in histo, u need a raw score of roughly 85 (+ or - a few points) which for many is easier said then done. because the scales are consistent, you can see where you fall among the class and the medical students (although MUCH less pressure on the med's since it is only pass/fail for them).

overall notes: dont let the first histo exam will take u by surprise histo covers more material then any class i have taken before (the final covers a 3" binder full of details, every word of which you are responsible for).. as a rule for all the classes.. know EVERYTHING. know all the information in the syllabi and the lecture slides/notes. and GO TO CLASS, eventhough the syllabus notes are very detailed. In physio, DR obrien and company will take attendance every once in a while (liek during a clinical correlations lecture or when there is a biochem exam the same day) and give a point on an exam for jsut showing up.
the little quizes that you will get in some classes (physio and endo especially) can end up being the difference between an A- and B+ (which is HUGE when reapplying) Treat them like exams eventhough they may only take 5 or 10 minutes. --also take all the labs seriously they are on the exams.

Overall the program was great, I learned a ton, and hey--it got me into medical school.. it is expensive so finish the coursework in the first year (as most do) and get help if u need it. The faculty are great.. esp Dr Vaughn (histo). Just remember, you do have to bust your ass for most of the classes with the occasional fun/easy class like intro to pharm. And if your volunteer section is lacking--take advantage of the opportunites like the OUtreach Van project. If you do well, in my experience and that of my friends, you will get in.
 
Anyone know when we will be receiving more information from the program? (ie orientation, classes, etc)
 
..ANd for the record.. dont take summer histo. It is a waste of a summer... and saves NO MONEY (it actually costs more) and it can be overwhelming ahveing to take it in a compressed timeframe. Instead of taking 2 semesters of classes and 2 semesters of continuing student thesis fees (equivalent to paying for 2 credits/semester) you have to pay a full 6 credits, plus at least 1 continuing student semester.

COSTS:
-YOu are required to take (i.e. pay for) at least 4 semesters.

-the 2 semesters of coursework are full tuition

-the remaining 2 'semesters' can be continuing student (i.e. you pay for 2 credits each semester = somewhere around 2k/ semester)

-If u take histo in 1 summer session you will be charged for 6 credits. You will still have to pay the 2 semsters of full tuition AND you will still have to register for at least 1 more summer session OR one more semester to complete the 4 semester requirement.

-Cost wise, by taking summer histo you are paying for extra credits (since the 2 full tuition semesters cost the same if u take histo or not.)

Just as a note, histo is fun, but a crapload of work. And you are NOT competing against your classmates for grades. The grade cut-offs are historical and only change + or - a point or so from semester to semester.. According to Dr Vaughn, everyone could potentially get an A, if everyoen in the class gets raw score 90's or 88's (the A cutoff i think is usually 85 or so) everyone gets an A. Also, and just as unlikely, everyone can fail the class.

(4 semesters can be fall/spring/summer1/summer2 = 1 full calander year)