Official Canadian Applicant Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toronto18

Reaction score
Since we all applied to pretty much the same schools, I figured I'd start a thread compiling our invites and whatnot!

Einstein---------
Columbia-------
Dartmouth------
Harvard---------
Sinai--------------
Stanford---------
GWU------------- hold
Mayo(MN)------
Wayne-----------
Boston----------- R(9/24)
MCW-------------
NYMC------------
Penn state------
UPitt-------------- R(9/13)
SLU--------------- II(8/30)
Upstate----------- hold(9/30)
Stony Brook-----
Tulane------------ hold(9/19)
Virginia-----------
Cornell------------
Case Western---
Brown--------------
Chicago RF-------

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Boston ------- R 10/2
Wayne -------
Harvard -------
Rosalind Franklin -------
U Penn -------
Pritzker -------
SUNY Upstate------- H (11/10)
Michigan State U (DO) -------
Case Western -------
Case Western Lerner ------- R 8/1
Vanderbilt -------
UC Davis ------- no secondary; R 11/25
Penn State -------
NYMC ------- H (noticed 8/2 but the portal claims i have been on hold since 8/29)
Dartmouth -------
Stony Brook -------
Einstein -------
Central Michigan U -------
North Western -------
SLU -------
Brown -------
Columbia -------
Cornell -------
Icahn -------
Emory -------

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Einstein -------
Baylor -------
Boston -------
Case Western (uni + college) -------
Columbia -------
Dartmouth -------
Emory -------
Georgetown -------
George Washington ------- Hold
Harvard -------
Hopkins -------
Maryland -------
NYMC -------
NYU -------
Rosalind Franklin -------
Sinai -------
SKMC Jefferson -------
St. Louis -------
Stanford -------
Stony Brook -------
SUNY Upstate -------
UCLA -------
Utah -------
Vanderbilt -------
Virginia -------
Washington U -------
Yale -------

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I attached it as a photo because I’m on my phone. Studied at a US school but proud Canadian. VCU rejected me 10/4; 521/3.75. MD/PhD applicant.
Praying for all of us!

Attachments

• FD3280D8-F55A-4C6D-8031-9AEFD8999951.jpeg
    FD3280D8-F55A-4C6D-8031-9AEFD8999951.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: 2 users
Why Brown, Pritzker, Utah?? They hate us!

Why Brown, Pritzker, Utah?? They hate us!
12 IIs? Any tips?
I applied to Pritzker MSTP because the app was easy. I know Yale/Chicago are both 'internationals on a case by case basis' but whatever. I thought my (US) undergrad's name recognition might help a bit, but it was really a '99% shots that you don't take' situation.

Don't worry! You are likely too good for Penn State :). Also their MD curriculum is heavily focused on serving the under-served communities, so not sure if that's what your clinical experiences demonstrated. I am sure you will soon hear great news from better programs :)
I didn't realize that schools cared so much about that stuff for MD/PhD...I really focused on research. And thanks, though I doubt yield protection is a thing. I hope I can follow in your footsteps :) I hope you and your fiancee also get into a program together, rooting for you guys!

Holds from:

UCSD MD;
NYU MD;
SUNY Upstate MD;

Interview invites from:

Hopkins MD,
Yale MD,
Mayo-Arizona MD,
Hawaii Burns SOM MD;
SKMC Jefferson MD;
WUSM MD;
Uoft MD/Phd;
Harvard MD,
Saint Louis SOM MD
Weill Cornell Medicine MD;

Rejections from:

UPittsburgh MD, and USC MD; Michigan State MD; Tulane MD;
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
New York Medical College
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Boston University School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Stony Brook University School of Medicine

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Rejections from: UPittsburgh MD, and USC MD;

Holds from: UCSD MD;

Interview invites from: Hopkins MD, Yale MD, Mayo-Arizona MD;

Waiting to hear back from:

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Harvard Medical School
New York Medical College
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Tufts University School of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
New York University School of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Tulane University School of Medicine
State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
State University of New York Upstate Medical University
Boston University School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
University of Hawaii, John A. Burns School of Medicine

If you don't mind me asking, what's your GPA/MCAT - these are some of the schools I wanna get into but wanna know general stats

My god, I just realized that I wasted my app to Stony Brook! I can blame it on moving and all that jazz but SMH. FYI, to any future Canadian applicants who might read this thread, in terms of MD/PhD programs that legitimately consider Canadians, I think only these qualify:
Tulane, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Boston, Columbia, Weill Cornell, VCU, Dartmouth, UMinnesota, Albert Einstein, UVa, Emory, Harvard, Medical College of Wisconsin, Univ of Maryland, Northwestern, Penn, WuSTL, UConn, Penn State, Mayo, Southwestern. "Case by case basis" aka I assume Nature pub or bust are Yale and UChicago.
Despite some surveys indicating otherwise, Mt. Sinai, JHU, MSU do not. SLU says they accept you but its unfunded.

Lessons learned: do not trust survey results or even MSAR, go straight to the website! And also if you studied in the US and didn't get an OMSAS 3.9, allegedly Canadian schools can be holistic.

An aside - do you guys think its worth contacting a school if they didn't send you a secondary?

I would contact the schools you did not receive a Secondary from :).
It's funny you say this today, I decided to email Minnesota a couple of hours ago :D Maybe I should call them also. Hopefully the response is favourable, since they say only a selection % of applicants get the secondary. How to Apply

Anyone else feel like maybe applying to the states was for nothing? Really struggling with this rn

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing. Maybe the AAMC acceptance changes (about waitlists and whatnot) affected how they view Canadians? So far, no other holds or rejections for schools that give those out early either.

Nothing. Maybe the AAMC acceptance changes (about waitlists and whatnot) affected how they view Canadians? So far, no other holds or rejections for schools that give those out early either.
Hmmm... I’m wondering this too. So stressful.

Also a fellow Canadian app, 3.89/509 LM 69.

Rejected:
Pritzker
Pittsburgh
VCU

Hold:
SUNY Upstate

No Response:
Wayne
Rosalind Franklin
Case Western
Icahn
Howard
Maryland
Penn State
Dartmouth

Idk why a lot of the schools are keeping silent. I mean it’s better than being rejected or put on hold/alternate list. Hopefully they give a reply in December or January. Although I feel like at least half or more interviews have already been sent out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My understanding is that many schools leave the review of internationals until closer to the end of the cycle as preference is given to residents. I have also been digging into the stats a bit more and a lot of schools that say they are Canadian friendly actually don't matriculate any. Some schools also show internationals based on place of origin and could possibly be considering dual citizens in this category if they didn't go to a US undergrad, but actually consider them citizens for application review purposes.

My understanding is that many schools leave the review of internationals until closer to the end of the cycle as preference is given to residents. I have also been digging into the stats a bit more and a lot of schools that say they are Canadian friendly actually don't matriculate any. Some schools also show internationals based on place of origin and could possibly be considering dual citizens in this category if they didn't go to a US undergrad, but actually consider them citizens for application review purposes.
massive bummer. I came out with zero interviews. Also feeling like they're less Canadian friendly than MSAR would lead one to believe. congrats to those that snagged on II though.

massive bummer. I came out with zero interviews. Also feeling like they're less Canadian friendly than MSAR would lead one to believe. congrats to those that snagged on II though.
I am very sorry to hear that. With perseverance, you will definitely make it into a US or Canadian medical school next year. @Atezo and I have been fortunate to be accepted to some US medical schools, so we would love to help you if you have any questions :). Alternatively, if you get into a Canadian med school this year, then even better (much cheaper option for MD).

Best of luck, and please don't sweat it too much, you will be a doctor sooner than later!

Last edited:
I am very sorry to hear that. With perseverance, you will definitely make it into a US or Canadian medical school next year. @Atezo and I have been fortunate to be accepted to some US medical schools, so we would love to help you if you have any questions :). Alternatively, if you get into a Canadian med school this year, then even better (much cheaper option for MD).

Best of luck, and please don't sweat it too much, you will be a doctor sooner than later!
If you don't mind my asking, what schools did you get interviews with/were accepted at? I am trying to figure out which ones are actually Canadian friendly and which ones just seem to want our application $.

If you don't mind my asking, what schools did you get interviews with/were accepted at? I am trying to figure out which ones are actually Canadian friendly and which ones just seem to want our application $.
Cornell Tri-Institutional (MD-PhD), Penn (MD-PhD), Vanderbilt (MD-PhD), Northwestern (MD-PhD), Case Western (MD), Lerner College of Medicine, Boston University (MD-PhD), Emory (MD-PhD), Mount Sinai (MD), Stanford (MD), UMaryland (MD-PhD), Mayo Clinic (MD-PhD).

Note that some that take MD-PhD are not Canadian undergrad friendly for MD (i.e. Penn).

I have friends that applied MD-only this year and last year, that had a lot of success at the research giants. If you have 3.9+ and 520 MCAT+ with solid research, unique ECs, and substantial volunteering, I suggest the following for MD:

Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, WashU, Case Western, Lerner College of Medicine (if you have strong research and clinical volunteering), Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Mount Sinai, Dartmouth, Emory, Boston University.

Feel free to PM me for specific details. School list depends on your overall application strength, and your specific long-term goals. There are many more Canadian-friendly schools than what I listed above, but those are the more prestigious ones.

Cornell Tri-Institutional (MD-PhD), Penn (MD-PhD), Vanderbilt (MD-PhD), Northwestern (MD-PhD), Case Western (MD), Lerner College of Medicine, Boston University (MD-PhD), Emory (MD-PhD), Mount Sinai (MD), Stanford (MD), UMaryland (MD-PhD), Mayo Clinic (MD-PhD).

Note that some that take MD-PhD are not Canadian undergrad friendly for MD (i.e. Penn).

I have friends that applied MD-only this year and last year, that had a lot of success at the research giants. If you have 3.9+ and 520 MCAT+ with solid research, unique ECs, and substantial volunteering, I suggest the following for MD:

Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, WashU, Case Western, Lerner College of Medicine (if you have strong research and clinical volunteering), Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Yale, Mount Sinai, Dartmouth, Emory, Boston University.

Feel free to PM me for specific details. School list depends on your overall application strength, and your specific long-term goals. There are many more Canadian-friendly schools than what I listed above, but those are the more prestigious ones.
Thanks. I have good stats (3.99 GPA & 518 MCAT), but research is a little light. Other than that I think I have a pretty competitive application. I have a primary care focus (ob/gyn). My SO is American (New England area) and won't get into any Canadian schools, so I am looking at the US schools.

Hi everyone. I am reapplying and have a question about the application. There is a spot for visa status. Are we supposed to say none if we don't currently have a visa, or put the F-1 visa as that is what I will get if I get in?
Thanks