*Official CSU East Bay PHAP Postbac Program Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all I was just accepted to the Fall 2018 AE track also!

I have a few questions regarding enrolling in classes..

When I was first offered admission there was a bold and bright link on my applicant view of MyCSUEB that was prompting me to pay a pre-enrollment fee. Do we have to pay this before actually enrolling?

When I search biological sciences under postbaccalaureate classes in the student view of MyCSUEB only a handful of classes are available. Are we restricted to just these classes or are we able to take undergraduate classes as part of this program too?

Hey,
No you don't have to pay the pre-enrollment fee as that's only for the undergrad.

When you search for courses, select the subject (e.g. Biological Sciences) and leave it as undergrad. At the bottom before hitting "Search", select "Include Self-Support". The program is designed so that you don't have to take classes with undergrad, so your class options would be Self-Support.

Hope that helps! And Congrats on your acceptance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all I was just accepted to the Fall 2018 AE track also!

I have a few questions regarding enrolling in classes..

When I was first offered admission there was a bold and bright link on my applicant view of MyCSUEB that was prompting me to pay a pre-enrollment fee. Do we have to pay this before actually enrolling?

When I search biological sciences under postbaccalaureate classes in the student view of MyCSUEB only a handful of classes are available. Are we restricted to just these classes or are we able to take undergraduate classes as part of this program too?
Hi do you mind sharing your stats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I put in my application on 5/16/18. Been waiting to see if I got into the program or not. I've been waiting for 10 weeks now, should I have heard back from them at this point? Will they let me know if I got rejected? I'm starting to worry because classes start in about a month. I check my applicant status several times a day and it still says that my application is being reviewed by the department. Can anyone give me any info?

Hey everyone, sorry to bump this thread after a while!

I applied for CSUEB's Academic Enhancer program for Spring 2019. I know CSUEB has just changed to a semester system but did anyone join a previous Winter Cohort? What are some of the benefits and disadvantages?
I would like to retake General Biology at CSUEB so potentially starting Spring 2019 kind of scares me because it's a series class. And they might not offer part 1 of biology in the spring! Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi,

I applied to 2019 Career Changer Track about a month ago. When can I hear back from them? The transcript was already submitted.

Thanks!

I applied for CSUEB's Academic Enhancer program for Spring 2019. I know CSUEB has just changed to a semester system but did anyone join a previous Winter Cohort? What are some of the benefits and disadvantages?
I would like to retake General Biology at CSUEB so potentially starting Spring 2019 kind of scares me because it's a series class. And they might not offer part 1 of biology in the spring! Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello there! I know you asked this about a month ago, but I hope that my answer helps you in some way.

I did not take general biology, but looking at the schedule you are correct that it is a series class. Part 1, unfortunately, is not offered in the spring. If you do not plan to finish the program within one year, I suggest waiting and start the series next fall. Organic chemistry part 1 was offered this semester at one campus, and part 2 was offered at the other campus. With that being said, it is possible for them to offer the first part of the general biology series during the summer and part 2 in the fall (along with part 1). Hard to tell, but possible.

Another option is retaking the general biology series at a community college. You could save that money and take other upper division electives or prerequisites at PHAP. That way you don't have to wait until fall to start the series and you can put the money in other courses you have not taken before.

Hi,

I applied to 2019 Career Changer Track about a month ago. When can I hear back from them? The transcript was already submitted.

Thanks!

You could try calling admissions to see where they are in the process. I checked my application status almost everyday, and it was under review for quite some time. I remember I applied in July, but did not hear back until the end of December.

Good luck!

I joined a previous winter cohort when they were still under the quarter system. The benefit of starting then was that I felt like I had enough time to do things step by step, where I completed my classes + working, spent time on the MCAT + working, completed the committee interview + personal statement, then rolled straight into the application cycle. In total, from the time I started to when I was committed to going to a medical school somewhere, was less than 2 years. I felt like I could have shaved a year down if I did my classes quickly and didn't take a summer off, but I felt very comfortable (didn't feel rushed but didn't feel like I was going too slow) at the pace I did it, and I have no regrets about it. With that longer period I was associated with CSUEB, I also made many friends here and developed strong relationships with the faculty, which were very valuable to me. I had a pretty smooth ride overall, and I think it was because I had sort of a timeline of what I wanted to do. At the same time, I was very comfortable with the idea that if things didn't happen at a certain point, that I wouldn't be disappointed, and would just continue making small progress where I could. It was also very helpful to have that strong support group of friends and faculty to keep the momentum going when I felt I had missed deadlines and felt like it would take too long to get to where I needed to be.

I felt there were no disadvantages to me entering as a member of the winter cohort. I felt that it also gave me enough time to reset from graduating that previous year in the spring/summer, and to be prepared to study hard once I started up again in the winter.

As far as classes in series, I can't really comment on that, since I didn't have that experience. :/

Last edited:
You could try calling admissions to see where they are in the process. I checked my application status almost everyday, and it was under review for quite some time. I remember I applied in July, but did not hear back until the end of December.

Good luck!
Thanks

I joined a previous winter cohort when they were still under the quarter system. The benefit of starting then was that I felt like I had enough time to do things step by step, where I completed my classes + working, spent time on the MCAT + working, completed the committee interview + personal statement, then rolled straight into the application cycle. In total, from the time I started to when I was committed to going to a medical school somewhere, was less than 2 years. I felt like I could have shaved a year down if I did my classes quickly and didn't take a summer off, but I felt very comfortable (didn't feel rushed but didn't feel like I was going too slow) at the pace I did it, and I have no regrets about it. With that longer period I was associated with CSUEB, I also made many friends here and developed strong relationships with the faculty, which were very valuable to me. I had a pretty smooth ride overall, and I think it was because I had sort of a timeline of what I wanted to do. At the same time, I was very comfortable with the idea that if things didn't happen at a certain point, that I wouldn't be disappointed, and would just continue making small progress where I could. It was also very helpful to have that strong support group of friends and faculty to keep the momentum going when I felt I had missed deadlines and felt like it would take too long to get to where I needed to be.

I felt there were no disadvantages to me entering as a member of the winter cohort. I felt that it also gave me enough time to reset from graduating that previous year in the spring/summer, and to be prepared to study hard once I started up again in the winter.

As far as classes in series, I can't really comment on that, since I didn't have that experience. :/
Hey! Thank you so much for specifying all this. I really appreciate it! :)

Hello there! I know you asked this about a month ago, but I hope that my answer helps you in some way.

I did not take general biology, but looking at the schedule you are correct that it is a series class. Part 1, unfortunately, is not offered in the spring. If you do not plan to finish the program within one year, I suggest waiting and start the series next fall. Organic chemistry part 1 was offered this semester at one campus, and part 2 was offered at the other campus. With that being said, it is possible for them to offer the first part of the general biology series during the summer and part 2 in the fall (along with part 1). Hard to tell, but possible.

Another option is retaking the general biology series at a community college. You could save that money and take other upper division electives or prerequisites at PHAP. That way you don't have to wait until fall to start the series and you can put the money in other courses you have not taken before.
Hi! Don't worry for replying late; it was still very helpful!
Although Part 1 is not offered in the Spring, Part 2 is! It's called BIOL 140B. They are letting me take the series out of order since technically I have completed the pre-req for Part 2, since I am retaking. :)

Hi! I was recently accepted for the next academic enhancer cohort and was wondering what the beginning of the program looks like (i.e. orientation, meeting with your advisor, etc.)? Also, what does MCAT support look like throughout the program? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was just accepted to start for fall 2019. Any advice on if this program will really make you more competitive for medical school?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I submitted my application Dec 9th for the CC cohort starting the fall 2020. Any ideas when you believe I should receive a reply regarding admission?

Hi everyone, I submitted my application Dec 9th for the CC cohort starting the fall 2020. Any ideas when you believe I should receive a reply regarding admission?

Hi @jalex1783,

I applied at the end of August '19 and didn't hear from the program until mid-November for my admissions for Spring 2020. My experience with their admission office was pleasant. Processing my application was done in a timely manner. Every aspect of my application was verified within a week-ish, which surprised me because I thought it would take longer. It was definitely a waiting game to hear back from the program. So if you haven't heard back after the 6-8 weeks, that's okay too. You can definitely call the PHAP office for any information about the status of your application if you have any worries. One woman I talked to was very helpful!

Hope this helps!

Hi @jalex1783,

I applied at the end of August '19 and didn't hear from the program until mid-November for my admissions for Spring 2020. My experience with their admission office was pleasant. Processing my application was done in a timely manner. Every aspect of my application was verified within a week-ish, which surprised me because I thought it would take longer. It was definitely a waiting game to hear back from the program. So if you haven't heard back after the 6-8 weeks, that's okay too. You can definitely call the PHAP office for any information about the status of your application if you have any worries. One woman I talked to was very helpful!

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your response. I guess it can take even up to 10 weeks to hear back so I will wait. It has only been 4 weeks for me and it was the holidays so I imagine I probably will not hear back until mid-to-late March 2020. @gobearsssss I think it is not a bad idea to call. It has been almost 10 weeks since you applied though December I would remove two weeks for holidays.

I applied at the end of October 2019 for Fall 2020 admission, and still have yet to hear back. Do you think it would bother them if I called to check on the status of my application? Given that it's been two and a half months, I'm feeling like it's probably valid for me to check up on it.

Also, are there any other Career Changer folks here (present or prior students who have graduated)? I'd love to hear about someone's experience as a CC in the program!

I too would love to hear from others and their experience.

Quick question regarding the program. When you graduate does it average out with your undergraduate GPA or it is a separate GPA if it’s own ?

Quick question regarding the program. When you graduate does it average out with your undergraduate GPA or it is a separate GPA if it’s own ?
It is both! It depends on which professional schools you are applying to. For example, I have my cumulative GPA, which includes all my community college, undergrad, PHAP, etc. But I also have my PHAP GPA! Depends what the school looks for/at.

Hi everyone!
I know this thread has been on and off with its activity but I just wanted to post on here to see if anyone applied for the Spring 2021 semester?! I applied to PHAP for this past semester, got accepted, but accepted an offer to a masters program before PHAP notified me of their decision. I ended up realizing that a post bacc is a better route for me so I'm reapplying for PHAP since I've heard so many great things about this program.

Pls let me know if anyone else has applied for this upcoming Spring! Thank you!

I'm a previous student and I'm a current medical student. I was a career changer. The students from what I've seen have been actually pretty successful. The ones that seemed to be the most successful was the AET track students. I felt that the classes were similar to undergrad but better in that they were small in terms of class size. Every professor was approachable that I had and seemed to care about the students. I felt like the workload was very doable. I had a long commute and worked part time.
Hi! Kinda late, but I have applied for Fall 2021 as a career changer and am waiting to hear back. May I ask your stats when applying to the PHAP program and when applying to med school? Thanks!

Hi! Kinda late, but I have applied for Fall 2021 as a career changer and am waiting to hear back. May I ask your stats when applying to the PHAP program and when applying to med school? Thanks!
I just got my acceptance for fall 2021! I’m on track 2 though but I wonder if we’ll have any shared classes?

I just got my acceptance for fall 2021! I’m on track 2 though but I wonder if we’ll have any shared classes?
For people on different tracks (Academic Enhancer or Career Changer) there might be some classes that are bit different from each other. I am currently in the Academic Enhancer track as a pre-dental student so if anyone have any questions message me and ill try to help!

For academic enhancer Track 2, are students allowed to select most of the classes to fill out the 34 unit requirement? Or are a few mandatory?

How fast do the slots go?

Hello everyone, I was recently accepted into the Spring 2022 term for AET. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on classes to take or avoid?