*Official CSU East Bay PHAP Postbac Program Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else not get into any classes for the fall because their transcript took time to go through? P.S I graduated in May and submitted asap and had to go through a whole process for my transcript to be verified. Everything I wanted as an Academic Enhancer was either full or waitlisted. So currently waitlisted in only 2 courses. Really hoping my other post bac option works out at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else not get into any classes for the fall because their transcript took time to go through? P.S I graduated in May and submitted asap and had to go through a whole process for my transcript to be verified. Everything I wanted as an Academic Enhancer was either full or waitlisted. So currently waitlisted in only 2 courses. Really hoping my other post bac option works out at this point.
Not because of my transcript, but because I had some issues with my CSUEB Student center. Now I am waitlisted for a couple of my classes. Didn't get into the courses I really wanted.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Wow sounds
Not because of my transcript, but because I had some issues with my CSUEB Student center. Now I am waitlisted for a couple of my classes. Didn't get into the courses I really wanted.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

@BamaNicole This is why I am so skeptic of CSUEB's program, how can you support this kind of negligence to its students. I have never heard of this problem with MOST of the other post-bac programs that I have looked into

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow sounds

@BamaNicole This is why I am so skeptic of CSUEB's program, how can you support this kind of negligence to its students. I have never heard of this problem with MOST of the other post-bac programs that I have looked into

Its actually not negligence. Classes are guaranteed to career changers because they HAVE to have certain classes. You as an AE DO NOT need certain classes. If you don't find the classes you wanted at first then you try another set of classes. People get into classes that are full all the time as well because people drop. They had been looking into this because there was an issue in the past with people signing up for too many classes and just shopping around trying to figure out which ones to keep and which ones to drop. I believe they've limited how many credits you can sign up for to try to stop this.

Again....you can sign up for any class that is in the AE track....it just may not be your ideal class your first quarter in the program because you literally have the lowest registering priority status. That's actually found in many programs.

May I suggest you use your energy in other avenues such as trying to build an application to get into medical school. Your attitude will not take you far.

I can't believe you picked up that attitude at Berkeley either. Where ever you got it...you should drop it and focus on working hard instead of trying to bad mouthing a program and harassing a medical student you don't know.

if you're so worried and think this is horrible then go elsewhere. If you have any actual questions, please feel free to ask.

Reactions: 2 users
Its actually not negligence. Classes are guaranteed to career changers because they HAVE to have certain classes. You as an AE DO NOT need certain classes. If you don't find the classes you wanted at first then you try another set of classes. People get into classes that are full all the time as well because people drop. They had been looking into this because there was an issue in the past with people signing up for too many classes and just shopping around trying to figure out which ones to keep and which ones to drop. I believe they've limited how many credits you can sign up for to try to stop this.

Again....you can sign up for any class that is in the AE track....it just may not be your ideal class your first quarter in the program because you literally have the lowest registering priority status. That's actually found in many programs.

May I suggest you use your energy in other avenues such as trying to build an application to get into medical school. Your attitude will not take you far.

I can't believe you picked up that attitude at Berkeley either. Where ever you got it...you should drop it and focus on working hard instead of trying to bad mouthing a program and harassing a medical student you don't know.

if you're so worried and think this is horrible then go elsewhere. If you have any actual questions, please feel free to ask.

I kind of have to agree with CeramicLight, however I know 2 people who completed their post bac at CSUEB and really enjoyed it, but they did start in the summer when there is less competition for classes and then had priority for enrollment for the fall quarter. There should be some disclosure though that it might be hard to get into classes your first quarter. I had asked the PHAP office about this over the phone and they assured me that students typically get into the classes they want to take. And to clarify when I went to sign up there were only 4 classes that were open and didn't have a full or almost full waitlist...one of which was the seminar and the other, a class I had already taken in the past. This doesn't really seem conducive to a post-bac student's success as we all know its important to also take a considerably full course load as well. I know 2 other people who had this same thing happen to them and are now not going to CSUEB....this may be an issue that stems from the fact that they admit anyone who applies? But in the end doesn't matter to me because I have another option lined up

Reactions: 1 user
I'm beginning the PHAP career changer track in the Fall. Can anyone tell me how much financial aid on average PHAPers usually get? Or maybe advice about how you helped to finance you post-bacc?

Thanks!

I'm in the same position as you and I am also quite worry about not getting into any classes in the upcoming fall quarter so you're not alone. I don't know what the drop rate is for the class but I really hope they open more seats. You're not alone, we can worry together XD!

Is anyone familiar with housing options near CSUEB? Any resources would be greatly appreciated. I have already looked into the school's housing like Pioneer Heights and University Village.

Also, is anyone looking for a roommate for Fall 2017-2018 cohort?
I'll attach a facebook link to off-campus housing for you if you don't already have it. Log into Facebook | Facebook

Hello there,
Anyone else apply for the winter cohort? I applied awhile back, and am now waiting to hear back from them.

Hello there,
Anyone else apply for the winter cohort? I applied awhile back, and am now waiting to hear back from them.
I just emailed them. They told me they won't start reviewing until October....so we have to wait for awhile.

Hello,
I am entering the PHAP Fall17 Cohort, and I'm concerned as to how to fund the program beyond Federal Subsidized Loans (it covered about a third of the cost). I was wondering if anyone had any advice or could refer me to come helpful resources. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my CSUEB post-bacc. While the administration can be iffy at times, the caliber of the professors is, for the most part, pretty phenomenal. I'm finishing 1 year with 48 quarter units (32 semester units), a 4.0 GPA through the program, and a 2.89-3.27 sGPA boost.

Obviously this is exactly what I wanted to get out of this post-bacc. I did a lot of work and revamped my approach to studying while taking these classes and I also feel that this will undoubtedly help for a medical school curriculum. I had my battles with administration at times for rec letters, getting waitlisted, other stuff...but I would still highly recommend this program to anyone looking to challenge themselves and boost their GPA. Feel free to PM me any questions or ask on this forum as well.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi, what do BCPM, AO, and CUM stand for?

BPCM (Biology Physics Chemistry Math) is your science GPA, AO (All Other) is all non-science GPA classes, and CUM is cumulative.

@KKUO @Dubusaur Did you guys hear back for Winter? I applied a while back but haven't heard anything.
They told me admission decisions are not expected to be sent out until at least mid-November for this particular cycle. i think it's pretty ridiculous because all they care about is GPA and i applied in July. Even professional schools don't take that long.....

Reactions: 1 users
They told me admission decisions are not expected to be sent out until at least mid-November for this particular cycle. i think it's pretty ridiculous because all they care about is GPA and i applied in July. Even professional schools don't take that long.....

Hi, I'm currently enrolled in this program right now. From what I've heard, this program is getting a lot more applicants and to be quite honest, I think that the office is getting overwhelmed and figuring out how to accept people only based off of GPA.

When the Fall 2017 cohort entered, the program had to increase most of the lecture class sizes from the 25 to 30 students. It may not seem like a lot compared to most big universities, but the lectures are taught in regular classrooms that hold up to roughly 30 students. The small classroom size was what really attracted me to this program because it allowed me to interact with the professors on a more personal level. Saying that, I'm not really sure how they will continue to balance a small class size with the increasing number of applications..

Hey guys,

I'm looking to apply to the Fall 2018 AE track. Anybody know how CSUEB's transition to semester system next year will affect the PHAP?

Thanks!

Is anyone applying for the 2018 Fall CSUEB cohort? The CSU site to apply for program keeps glitching tho, will not let me apply.

Anyone else having this problem?

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone applying for the 2018 Fall CSUEB cohort? The CSU site to apply for program keeps glitching tho, will not let me apply.

Did you already make an account with CSU system? If not, Google "cal state application" and click on the first link. Then select "Graduate" and follow the application protocol (I would give you the link, but apparently I'm not a qualified SDN member yet lol). The website/application looks a little different from when I applied for the Fall 2017 cohort, but the instructions the program gave us were as follows (again, it may not be exactly the same if the layout is different):

1. Navigate to (above website).
2. Choose the Graduate Application for Winter or Fall. Log in.
3. Choose the campus (CSU East Bay Graduate).
4. Click on "Start new application." Scroll to the bottom of the page.
5. Click on "Begin Application for CSUEB Graduate."
6. For Major/Program objective, choose either:
a. for Career Changer students: Pre-Professional Health Academic Program - Spec Sess.
b. for Academic Enhancer students: Pre-Professional Health Academic ADVANCED Program - Spec Sess.​
7. Write "None" for both "Option" and "Degree Objective."
8. Complete all required information until the end of the application.
9. When complete, please recheck and click SUBMIT.
Hopefully that answered your question. If you're not able to access the actual PHAP application, then there's a chance the application is not yet open to the public. What I did prior to applying was contact PHAP directly on the website using the "Request More Info" link - they responded back via email with the application process and deadlines. I applied sometime around late March 2017 and I was notified of my acceptance around late May/early June 2017.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to apply to the Fall 2018 AE track. Anybody know how CSUEB's transition to semester system next year will affect the PHAP?

Thanks!
Your best bet would probably to call their office and speak to someone directly... there is still a lot of confusion among students themselves.

Hi all,

I submitted my application to the Fall 2018 AE track a few days ago and was wondering how long you guys have waited in the past for a decision since they are on a rolling basis.

Hi all,

I submitted my application to the Fall 2018 AE track a few days ago and was wondering how long you guys have waited in the past for a decision since they are on a rolling basis.

Roughly about a month. I submitted my application early Feb and just checked my portal now and got accepted :)

Roughly about a month. I submitted my application early Feb and just checked my portal now and got accepted :)
thanks for the response!!
did you have to send in your transcripts before you got admitted or can it be after?

Submitted my app for the Fall '18 cohort yesterday! I can't wait to hear back. Anyone in this thread applying to the SFSU or UCBx post-baccs?

@BamaNicole @hemobrobin

Quick question for the alums on here. I have applied for this Fall cohort and should be hearing back soon. If all goes well...can you register for undergraduate classes that may not be offered in the post-bacc program? And lets say you cannot get a class one quarter, can you register for it in the under graduate enrollment? Thanks! I will contact admissions as well.

@BamaNicole @hemobrobin

Quick question for the alums on here. I have applied for this Fall cohort and should be hearing back soon. If all goes well...can you register for undergraduate classes that may not be offered in the post-bacc program? And lets say you cannot get a class one quarter, can you register for it in the under graduate enrollment? Thanks! I will contact admissions as well.

I don't think you can register for anything that isn't postbac specific or a part of open university. This could have changed though so double check with admissions.

Accepted to the Academic Enhancers cohort for Fall 2018! Any others?

Accepted for Career Changer cohort Fall 2018! Applied March 14th. Accepted March 28th.

Hello all!

Currently applying for the AE for Fall 2018!

Quick question over the application materials: for the supporting information section, under "documents", do we have to upload the documents that are asked for? Because I have no idea what the "CSET Multiple Subject Test", "Certificate of Clearance", "Intern Application Form", etc. are?

Hi All! I applied on 04/10! Patiently waiting for a reply, really need this for my gpa :(

Hi all,

I applied on March 30, 2018 and my transcript was received on April 4, 2018. Patiently waiting for a response. This will really help turn things around for me GPA wise.

@BamaNicole or anyone that has insight on scheduling... I apologize if this has been answered eariler in the thread by you, but times of day do classes tend to fall? I would be pursuing the academic enhancers track. Ideally I would like to keep my day job at full capacity. Do you think this can work with a 9-5 job? I can give more specifics if needed.

Appreciate the time all! Thanks.

Hi All, the one thing I didn't do is send in my transcripts yet. Does anyone know if this is required before they consider me?

Hello all!

Currently applying for the AE for Fall 2018!

Quick question over the application materials: for the supporting information section, under "documents", do we have to upload the documents that are asked for? Because I have no idea what the "CSET Multiple Subject Test", "Certificate of Clearance", "Intern Application Form", etc. are?

Hi,
You don't need to submit any tests / letters of rec / letter of intent / resume. Just fill out the application on the site and send in your transcripts and you're good to go!

Hi All, the one thing I didn't do is send in my transcripts yet. Does anyone know if this is required before they consider me?

Hi,
Yes they need to receive your application PLUS your transcript before they consider you for the program!

Hi all,

I applied on March 30, 2018 and my transcript was received on April 4, 2018. Patiently waiting for a response. This will really help turn things around for me GPA wise.

@BamaNicole or anyone that has insight on scheduling... I apologize if this has been answered eariler in the thread by you, but times of day do classes tend to fall? I would be pursuing the academic enhancers track. Ideally I would like to keep my day job at full capacity. Do you think this can work with a 9-5 job? I can give more specifics if needed.

Appreciate the time all! Thanks.

Depends on what your days off are and how many classes you want to take.

Depends on what your days off are and how many classes you want to take.

I could work a modified schedule where I end around 3pm Mondays through Fridays. I am trying to get a sense of the scheduling of courses and opinions on whether this program is feasible with a standard 9-5 full time job with weekends off. I would want to take a full schedule of classes.

I just checked the portal - was notified of my acceptance into the program!

I could work a modified schedule where I end around 3pm Mondays through Fridays. I am trying to get a sense of the scheduling of courses and opinions on whether this program is feasible with a standard 9-5 full time job with weekends off. I would want to take a full schedule of classes.

I just checked the portal - was notified of my acceptance into the program!

There’s classes that do start at 6....at least when i was there. You could take two id they didn’t have labs.

There may be more options now then when i was there.

Congrats!

Hello,
I'm currently considering a post-bac from CSU EB. I made terrible mistakes ignoring my school during undergraduate because I never thought I would consider med school so my GPA is very low. Any students out there with low GPA who got accepted to med school care to share their experience?I would love to hear some advice and tips. Also, any PHAP alum/current student out there at SDN who can share their experiences about the program?(classes experience, how are the professors, does it help getting you an MD/DO, do you like it or hate it, etc). Also, does anyone when the winter quarter begins in 2019 and when is the application due?

Seriously, I emailed their support and they said it should be up right now.

Can anyone take a screenshot of what the cal state east bay post-bacc program looks like on the web portal? It's not showing up for me and I made a new account to see if that might have been the issue, but still no luck.

They don't have the current stats available.

Thanks Beerito.
Does anyone have fall 2017 and/or fall 2018 acceptance list for PHAP graduates to MD/DO schools? Could you please post it if you have it or comment on it if you have seen it? Thanks.

Hello! So I was wondering for those who have recently completed the PHAP program, what was the cost for the entire year that the school charged you (tuition and fees, not including housing)? for the year and each quarter?

Thank you

Hi all I was just accepted to the Fall 2018 AE track also!

I have a few questions regarding enrolling in classes..

When I was first offered admission there was a bold and bright link on my applicant view of MyCSUEB that was prompting me to pay a pre-enrollment fee. Do we have to pay this before actually enrolling?

When I search biological sciences under postbaccalaureate classes in the student view of MyCSUEB only a handful of classes are available. Are we restricted to just these classes or are we able to take undergraduate classes as part of this program too?