Official Emory Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CristaGalli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, had to get one going. Who else with me at Emory this fall....Emory is a sweet school and can't wait to start...Atlanta is a great city and you cant beat the weather. c'mon fellow emorites(?), lets get this going.

Members don't see this ad.

argonana said:
Yea Emory! I'm not sure I'm going yet, but I'll be at the revisit weekend...

Are you from Atlanta?
No, i'm from philadelphia. But its about time for me to relocate to the south. When is the revisit weekend? I haven't recieved any information regarding it. I know there are more than 2 potential Emory students on sdn.

Members don't see this ad :)
CG, it's on April 20th-21st. I got an email about it in Feb. They say that they'll be releasing more info about it soon.

There's also a roommate housing weekend June 2-4.

Did you get into Pritzker as well, CG? Have you decided you're going to Emory?

hey i'll check in here. not sure i'm going yet though, deciding between here and northwestern. but right now in jersey, that atlanta weather sure looks appealing :rolleyes:

i'll probably be at the revisit weekend too, i'll see you guys there!

Hey guys! I'll also be there.. I'm really psyched about Emory and I'm also from Jersey. Right now I'm pondering whether or not to go to my state school and save a lot of money or just go for something new and exciting.

It's weird to me how people seem to not discuss Emory too much on these forums and a class thread hasn't started yet.. considering how awesome it truly is.

I know it's pretty early, but where would you guys live if you went there? Clairmont looks pretty nice to me, and it should be a good way to meet people since I'm not from the area. But the off campus housing is cheap and really nice too. And I def would need to save as much as I could if I go there.

argonana said:
CG, it's on April 20th-21st. I got an email about it in Feb. They say that they'll be releasing more info about it soon.

There's also a roommate housing weekend June 2-4.

Did you get into Pritzker as well, CG? Have you decided you're going to Emory?
Yea argonana, i got into pritzker and some other mid tier's up here in the northeast..but it was really btw emory and pritzker(the only top 20 i applied to). I am about 98.2% sure its emory at this point. How about you? which schools are still in the running for you?

djl46 said:
Hey guys! I'll also be there.. I'm really psyched about Emory and I'm also from Jersey. Right now I'm pondering whether or not to go to my state school and save a lot of money or just go for something new and exciting.

It's weird to me how people seem to not discuss Emory too much on these forums and a class thread hasn't started yet.. considering how awesome it truly is.

I know it's pretty early, but where would you guys live if you went there? Clairmont looks pretty nice to me, and it should be a good way to meet people since I'm not from the area. But the off campus housing is cheap and really nice too. And I def would need to save as much as I could if I go there.
Tell me about it djl46....at first i thought maybe it was somekind of secret code that emory students were too cool to post or start a thread on sdn....but about 2 days ago i was like screw that, i starting one.

I'm pretty sure they check these forums, too. When I was there they told me they check interview feedback. Come on, current Emory peoples! Excite us with your crazy tales of med school, Hotlanta style!

CristaGalli said:
Yea argonana, i got into pritzker and some other mid tier's up here in the northeast..but it was really btw emory and pritzker(the only top 20 i applied to). I am about 98.2% sure its emory at this point. How about you? which schools are still in the running for you?

i'm still considering uc davis and maybe usc (i'm from CA :) ).

congrats on pritzker--they put me on their alternate list. it was also an amazing school. what has helped you to choose emory?

i'm glad you created this thread...see you all next month!

Whoa, just got an e-mail about CELABRATEmory, what a catchy name!

"Transportation
Emory will not be covering transportation costs."

"We will do our best to place you with a student host for Thursday night and Friday night (free!), or you can choose to stay at a local hotel (not free!)."

aww...

I was just accepted by email on Monday, and I'm psyched!! :) I interviewed on their second-to-last interview day in Februrary and loved the school. I'm waiting to see what happens with UPenn next week, but I think I'd really like to go to Emory. Not sure yet if I can make it to the Revist... it's right around crunch time before the last week of classes and another trip might get expensive. Anyone else planning on going?

Welcome Kazazzle! I'll def be at the revisit weekend because I still haven't decided...

On a different note, does anybody know how the curriculum is structured? Is it systems-based? Is there any integration at all between the different classes you take?

Members don't see this ad :)
djl46 said:
Welcome Kazazzle! I'll def be at the revisit weekend because I still haven't decided...

On a different note, does anybody know how the curriculum is structured? Is it systems-based? Is there any integration at all between the different classes you take?

Thanks!

From my understanding, the curriculum is pretty traditional - all the "normal" stuff first year (anatomy, physiology, neuro, cell bio, etc) and all the "abnormal" stuff second year (pathology, pathophysiology, etc).

I also heard that we take Embryology in July before classes "officially" start. It's like a two-week condensed course to ease into med school I guess. It seems strange, but I think it might be nice to get it over with.

The grading scale is A/B/C/D/F as well. I have no idea whether I would prefer grades or P/F at this point. Any thoughts?

Yeah, actually there were a few posts about that before.. I think a lot has to do with the general atmosphere of the school. There are definitely some schools with more hyper-competitive premed types than others. In these cases, it's great to have pass-fail to promote cooperation. To me though, Emory had one of the most chill atmospheres of any school I visited. Oh- and none of the classes are curved! The class was so tight with eachother, and it looked like people were really into helping eachother out despite the grades. I go to a school where this just hasn't been the case among pre-meds, so this is the single biggest thing that made Emory stand out in my mind. This may sound cheezy- but I want to you guys to be my friends and colleagues, and by working together we'll be able to achieve way more than we can individually. I really believe that.

Honestly, I think that no matter which med school we go to we're going to do the best we can. It's not like anyone can relax about studying in med school, even when it is pass-fail. One of my friends is at U-Chicago, which is P/F, and he's got a test every week and has zero free time. At least at Emory we'd have a test every 6 or 7 weeks and be able to relax a little afterwards.

On that note- what did you guys think about joint exams? It's intimidating, but I heard that Emory attributes it's high board scores to being used to joints. Do you think it really helps?

The fact that classes are integrated with eachother bugs me though. I wonder why they didn't make it systems-based when they redid the curriculum?

I think I like the idea of joint exams. It sounds frightening, but I can see how it would be good practice for the Boards. Plus, the way it's structured, they occur every 5 weeks during the first year, so you study really hard for 2-3 weeks and then have a couple of relatively relaxing weeks. Sounds pretty fair to me.

I got to sit in on a PBL session during my interview day. It was pretty long (so long that by the time it got out, the admissions office was closed and I'd left my shoes in there... but that's another story :p ), especially for a Friday afternoon, but I really enjoyed it. It was laid back, the professors interacted well with the students, and it seemed like a great way to bring together a lot of what they had learned in lecture. Plus they had snacks! I'm definitely a proponent of balancing lecture with small-group stuff - I don't think I could do all of one or the other.

I'm still super excited about my acceptance (and it's been 4 days!) so I think I'm starting to ramble - sorry! :laugh:

hey there....im 95% sure ill be at emory next year. does anyone know how 2006 match day went? Emory is PIMP.

Just wanted to bring this back to the first page :rolleyes:

I'm almost certain I'll be at Emory with you guys this fall :) I was waitlisted at Penn this morning and this afternoon, I received my official acceptance packet in the mail (darn slow New Orleans mail!) I'm thinking that's a pretty good sign right there...

My interview day at Emory was probably the most fun and relaxed out of all of them, and I got a really good vibe from all the students there. I can't wait to meet all of you in July!

I don't know if I'll be going up for the revisit weekend, most likely not. Unfortunately, I'll be out of the country for Housing Weekend, and I hate to miss out. I might try and drive up in May sometime and look into housing options, etc, but it's going to suck in terms of meeting roommates and what not. Any girls out there looking for a vegetarian roommate? ;)

I was on rent.com looking at apartments today and I got all giddy about moving to Atlanta! Anyone know the area and have recommendations for neighborhoods/apartments that are popular with med students?

Sorry for the long post!

Hey Kaz- I'm a fellow Penn waistlister! Not too disappointed to be honest, Philly's not an exciting place and Emory is a great school. I don't know if this helps- but some students told me to only look at Druid Hills apartments because traffic in Atlanta is a bitch. I was thinking Clairmont because I want to meet people and don't have a car (oh man, am i going to survive?) Craigslist has some pretty sweet deals on apartments close to Emory if you want to check that out.

It's good to have decided, congrats!

i think a car's probably necessary in atlanta, i know i'll be buying one if i do decide to head down there.

Kazazzle12 said:
Just wanted to bring this back to the first page :rolleyes:

also on the regular old penn waitlist. boooooo. but i interviewed at both schools in the same week, and to be honest, i liked emory soooo much better. so...whatever. it makes me feel better that a lot of us are in the same boat. emory is an awesome school, so i just have to psych myself up again after getting beaten down by all these waitlists.

kaz, i haven't thought about housing at all, but if you're interested in living close to campus, i might be a potential roomie...

re: this year's match list--i wonder if we can ask the school to email us a copy? i'm anxious to check it out.

Hi all,

I've been accepted to Emory and I'm not sure if I'm going to revist weekend (I've taken waaaaaay too much time off work for interviews). I'm really debating between Emory and my state school (UNC).

Can you guys tell me your favorite two things about Emory and least favorite two things about it? It'd really help me out, especially if I can't make the revist weekend.

Thanks in advance,
sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
Hi all,

I've been accepted to Emory and I'm not sure if I'm going to revist weekend (I've taken waaaaaay too much time off work for interviews). I'm really debating between Emory and my state school (UNC).

Can you guys tell me your favorite two things about Emory and least favorite two things about it? It'd really help me out, especially if I can't make the revist weekend.

Thanks in advance,
sweetdoc

Favorites:
1. everyone I met seemed really nice and friendly
2. great resources - new building (will be ready our 2nd year), Grady Hospital, the CDC next door...

Least Favorites:
1. not sure how I feel about grades (but I can also see the plus side of having an A/B/C/D/F scale)
2. starting classes in July with the two-week embryology crash course, mainly because it gives me less time with my family this summer before moving (but again, I can see the plus side of this too)

On a slightly different note, do you guys think it would be weird if I sent my dad to Housing Weekend? I'll be in India all summer, so I can't go, but I figured he could go and take care of housing arrangements for me. I just don't want it to be creepy for a older guy to be going up to my fellow students like, "Heyy do you need a roommate?" :laugh:

The other alternative is to go up there in May and find a place, but then I don't have the benefit of finding roommates, etc. What do you guys think?

1. Clinical experience is incredible at Grady
2. Atlanta is my kind of place, would love to live there even after med school
(3) Nicest people that I met anywhere

Cons:
1. Curriculum is more traditional
2. Expensive (Come on... Financial aid package!)

I'm starting to 2nd guess going to revisit... I've been talking to some students and learning good stuff about the school, plus I gotta take off school the week before for Passover... I'm sure your dad will be fine Kaz- people will just think he's a non-trad!

This thread needed some action ;)

Come on people, where's our Emory enthusiasm?!

Emory is really a place to go to school for at least 4 years.....everyone i have mentioned my acceptance to emory to, has had this smile on their face telling me how i would love it down there ( i am from philly)
Atlanta is a great metropolitan diverse city, weather is awesome, clinical education is awesome(grady etc..), students are generally relaxed, great resources etc....
My only gripe with emory is its lack of scholarship and need-based money for m1's and the stupid grading system. I personally am not worried academically, i just do not see the need for such a system. Infact, i think they are changing the system, but I think that wouldnt affect us.
All in all, I am more than likely going to be there this coming fall.

I just got an email from one of my interviewers congratulating me on my acceptance to Emory! Now I'm even more excited for next year :)

I also got an email for the Admissions office about OPUS, the website where we can update our contact information and get financial aid information. The email said financial aid packages will be awarded "soon", whatever that means. I keep hearing about how bad Emory is in terms of financial aid ... do they not offer scholarships at all for first year students (except for the Woodruff...)?

The majority of their scholarships are at least partially need-based. There's also the mysterious "Dean's Scholarship," but I have no idea what that is. It might be offered to the people invited to Woodruff weekend who don't end up getting it. I also heard that if you get good grades in your first year, you can qualify for another merit based scholarship.

MSAR reported the average grants at Emory (I think) as 16000. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thats actually not so terrible.

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet or know how soon they'll start sending them?

I called today and Financial Aid said they are currently working on putting stuff together for the M1s, but have to wait on the final word from the med school before sending anything out. NOt quite sure what this means, but she said that financial aid packages probably wouldn't go out until the end of the month. Just in case anyone is interested...

Kazazzle12 said:
I called today and Financial Aid said they are currently working on putting stuff together for the M1s, but have to wait on the final word from the med school before sending anything out. NOt quite sure what this means, but she said that financial aid packages probably wouldn't go out until the end of the month. Just in case anyone is interested...
That is late...schools need to realize we have decisions to make that will impact our lives significantly...2 weeks until may 15th is hardly enough time to make these kind of decisions in my opinion, eventhough I know that finance is just a fraction of the decision, it is still a large fraction nonetheless.

CristaGalli said:
That is late...schools need to realize we have decisions to make that will impact our lives significantly...2 weeks until may 15th is hardly enough time to make these kind of decisions in my opinion, eventhough I know that finance is just a fraction of the decision, it is still a large fraction nonetheless.

i totally agree, it's gonna be hard to compare financial aid packages across schools in just a few days

We have email addresses! This is suddenly seeming a lot more real... :p

Hey, it looks like financial aid packages were posted on OPUS. It also looks like I just got the 2 Stafford loans, which doesn't come close to covering the cost of Emory. Does this mean I have to get private loans?

djl46 said:
Hey, it looks like financial aid packages were posted on OPUS. It also looks like I just got the 2 Stafford loans, which doesn't come close to covering the cost of Emory. Does this mean I have to get private loans?

When did you submit all your forms? I'm guessing I won't get my financial aid info until a little later since I didn't have everything in until the first week in March..

I forget whether it was in February or March when I sent it all in, but I did fill out Profile and FAFSA in like, end of January. So far, Emory hasn't sent me anything to my house to show what I've been awarded, but I just checked OPUS and clicked on "financial aid" and there it was. The thing is, I hear that everyone gets those two loans no matter what (subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford). Maybe they'll add on to that with institutional loans? I have no idea. This is going to be damn expensive. Good luck to you!

Colonel Mustard said:
i think a car's probably necessary in atlanta, i know i'll be buying one if i do decide to head down there.

I randomly decided to read this thread, but yeah, I am an undergrad here, and one of the main reasons I didn't even apply to Emory for medical school is that not having a car has been a HUGE pain for my four years I was here. You can go out and stuff because I am sure your friends will have cars, but general errands/grocery shopping/target/etc. on your own time, is pretty hopeless without a car.

djl46 said:
I forget whether it was in February or March when I sent it all in, but I did fill out Profile and FAFSA in like, end of January. So far, Emory hasn't sent me anything to my house to show what I've been awarded, but I just checked OPUS and clicked on "financial aid" and there it was. The thing is, I hear that everyone gets those two loans no matter what (subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford). Maybe they'll add on to that with institutional loans? I have no idea. This is going to be damn expensive. Good luck to you!

Mine was up this afternoon. A small need-based scholarship, plus the two Stafford loans. Not great, but good enough. I'm pretty sure I'll be at Emory next year :) Anyone else decided on Emory for sure yet? Have fun at the Revisit for those of you going!

djl46 said:
Another possible option is to call financial aid and see if they can award you a Perkins loan. According to one of the advisors for undergrad here, the reason they have you fill out FAFSA and Profile is so that they can award you less than the govt thinks you need. Most people demonstrate less need on the profile, and so Emory goes with that number, but if you ask early enough (and if you get lucky and ask the right person on a good day) you may be able to get a perkins loan to cover the difference between profile and FAFSA. Good luck and congrats on getting in...I'm still on the waitlist holding my breath!

Thanks for the advice!

Also, if somebody can give us an update on how the revisit went, that would be sweet action.

djl46 said:
Thanks for the advice!

Also, if somebody can give us an update on how the revisit went, that would be sweet action.

i'd also love to hear about revisit weekend! did it sway any of you who were still on the fence?

Sorry to bring up finances again.. but I just called the fin aid office and they told me Emory does not offer the Perkins loan to med students. Are they lying to me or is this true? Its weird because I know other schools do, and I qualified for it in the past. (grumble)

djl46 said:
Sorry to bring up finances again.. but I just called the fin aid office and they told me Emory does not offer the Perkins loan to med students. Are they lying to me or is this true? Its weird because I know other schools do, and I qualified for it in the past. (grumble)

I'm pretty sure they don't offer the Perkins loan to med students, since it isn't listed anywhere in the financial aid handbook.

Has anyone else decided on Emory for sure? Anyone change their minds after Revisit? I'm in the process of looking for apartments in Altanta (online, at least), and I'll be going up there most likely May 14-16 to find a place before I leave for India for the summer. What are you guys' plans?

Kazazzle12 said:
I'm pretty sure they don't offer the Perkins loan to med students, since it isn't listed anywhere in the financial aid handbook.

Has anyone else decided on Emory for sure? Anyone change their minds after Revisit? I'm in the process of looking for apartments in Altanta (online, at least), and I'll be going up there most likely May 14-16 to find a place before I leave for India for the summer. What are you guys' plans?

after the revisit, i'm leaning towards emory. maybe i'll see you there next year!

Kazazzle12 said:

Just in case you haven't found this already, Emory hosts an off-campus housing finder.

http://housing.emory.edu/off-campus/search.cfm

Depending on your finances, there are multiple apartment complexes with decent deals. PM me if you have any ?'s

Well, it's official: I'll be at Emory next year! Just withdrew my other acceptances. :cool:

is anyone out there looking for a roommate? i'd like to get a 2BR place, probably within 3 or 4 miles of the school. PM me if you'd be interested

Colonel Mustard said:
Well, it's official: I'll be at Emory next year! Just withdrew my other acceptances. :cool:

Ditto!