Official:GA-PCOM Post-Bacc Acceptances Fall 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jawrigh1

Pre-Med
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have been accepted to GA-PCOM'S Post-Bacc let us know who you are. :thumbup: School is starting soon so why not get to know each other. :)

1. Where do you live now?
2. What part of Georgia are you moving to?
3.Additional information that you would like to share (not too much there are still crazy people out here)

1. I currently live in Arkansas. I am from South Carolina. (I can't wait to move so that I can be closer to my family.)

2. I want to move to Lawrenceville. (Still looking for an apartment :eek: )

3. Just go accepted today!!! I have so much to do but I'm excited. :D

Members don't see this ad.

3.Additional information that you would like to share (not too much there are still crazy people out here)

1. I grew up and live in Washington DC area. :thumbup:

2. Don't know yet, and the sad this is that i need to learn very quickly. I gotta find a room soon. :eek: :confused:

3. Just got accepted last week. I saw that the the philly campus wasn;t tking additional students, so i guess im goin South this fall. :(

1. Where do you live now?--Adairsville, GA

2. What part of Georgia are you moving to? Undecided but most likely suwanee/duluth

3.Additional information that you would like to share (not too much there are still crazy people out here): I work for Anheuser-Busch--Quality Assurance. I get paid to drink :cool: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Louisiana

Undecided but most likely duluth, lawrenceville, norcross areas (suwanee area is very expensive)

3.Additional information that you would like to share (not too much there are still crazy people out here):
I am undecided about which program to choose (LECOM or GA-PCOM)...someone help!!! I also have worked for AmeriCorps this year.

1. Where do you live now? Chicago, IL
--gonna make the 12hr. drive down with my mom the weekend before school starts on the 14th :eek:

2. What part of Georgia are you moving to? i think lawrenceville. seems like most decent places are $550-680. heard duluth/lawrenceville are nice suburbian neighborhoods. looked for apts on www.rent.com and promove (an apt locator service) is helping too.

--duno anyone in atl. . . im excited though. it'll be a good experience on my own. :rolleyes:

i have a question, how are you guys paying for everything? i think fafsa-loans barely cover tuition. i need to cover rent/living expenses etc. private loans?

also, are most people going for the 2yr masters or 1yr and hoping to get into med school next year?

see you guys soon! :thumbup:

curiousg said:
--gonna make the 12hr. drive down with my mom the weekend before school starts on the 14th :eek:

2. What part of Georgia are you moving to? i think lawrenceville. seems like most decent places are $550-680. heard duluth/lawrenceville are nice suburbian neighborhoods. looked for apts on www.rent.com and promove (an apt locator service) is helping too.

--duno anyone in atl. . . im excited though. it'll be a good experience on my own. :rolleyes:

i have a question, how are you guys paying for everything? i think fafsa-loans barely cover tuition. i need to cover rent/living expenses etc. private loans?

also, are most people going for the 2yr masters or 1yr and hoping to get into med school next year?

I filled out my FAFSA application but I have no idea what my loan amounts will be. I have no idea what I will do if loans don't cover tuition. Have you found out the tuition amount? I know so people posted projections but I wonder if anyone knows for a fact what tuition will be. I'm not sure whether or not I will go for the 2 yrs masters. I got a good tip from future Dr. Pate to look at apartmentratings.com when looking for apartments which is what I have been doing. Check it out to see how the apartments that you're interested in add up. Have you gotten a binder or anything yet from GA-PCOM? See you in a few weeks. :D

jawrigh1 said:
I filled out my FAFSA application but I have no idea what my loan amounts will be. I have no idea what I will do if loans don't cover tuition. Have you found out the tuition amount? I know so people posted projections but I wonder if anyone knows for a fact what tuition will be. I'm not sure whether or not I will go for the 2 yrs masters. I got a good tip from future Dr. Pate to look at apartmentratings.com when looking for apartments which is what I have been doing. Check it out to see how the apartments that you're interested in add up. Have you gotten a binder or anything yet from GA-PCOM? See you in a few weeks. :D

No, I havent't gotten anything from GA-PCOM. I'm getting a little worried and I will be makin a call today. Is it true that classes start on the 14th of August?

Nexthova9 said:
No, I havent't gotten anything from GA-PCOM. I'm getting a little worried and I will be makin a call today. Is it true that classes start on the 14th of August?

Yes, school starts Aug. 14th.

I agree with y'all about the loans. I think I'm going to have to take out a graduate plus loan. GA-PCOM is killing me, b/c everytime I call the Georgia office about fin. aid., they tell me to call the PA office. The lady there told me to do a budget and call my lender to ask for the estimated amount in a loan. I still haven't found an apartment. I have ideas, I just hope they are still there. Do anybody know about Los Colinas in Norcross, GA?

curiousg said:

I reccomend you take out the federal Graduate Plus loan which allows you to take out money for things like rent/living expenses etc. You can apply for this loan on opennet.salliemae.com

MercuryX said:
I reccomend you take out the federal Graduate Plus loan which allows you to take out money for things like rent/living expenses etc. You can apply for this loan on opennet.salliemae.com

cool, thanks for the advice. i'll look into that.

tuition is about $18k

info from pcom financial aid website:
http://www.pcom.edu/Financial_Aid/Financial_Aid.html

How much can I borrow in Federal Stafford Loans?
Graduate students are eligible to apply for a maximum of $18,500 per academic year. Medical students are eligible to apply for a maximum of $38,500 per academic year. Medical students enrolled in a medical program, which extends during a consecutive 12-month period are eligible to apply for a maximum of $45,167 per academic year.

I'm almost certain I'll be attending GA-PCOM (still waiting on one more school). I'm interested in renting an apartment, and a roomie would really be economical. if you are interested, I'd love to hear from you. i'm pretty amicable. :)

also, do any of you have rates of matriculation to med school from last year's ms/certificate students? and do any of you know what the first year curriculum is like?

m foucault said:
I'm almost certain I'll be attending GA-PCOM (still waiting on one more school). I'm interested in renting an apartment, and a roomie would really be economical. if you are interested, I'd love to hear from you. i'm pretty amicable. :)

also, do any of you have rates of matriculation to med school from last year's ms/certificate students? and do any of you know what the first year curriculum is like?

what other program are you waiting on?

Members don't see this ad :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm almost certain I'll be attending GA-PCOM (still waiting on one more school). I'm interested in renting an apartment, and a roomie would really be economical. if you are interested, I'd love to hear from you. i'm pretty amicable.

m foucault, Where do u plan on staying?

Has anyone received a registration packet? The only thing that I have received is an acceptance letter which included a new student information form and technical standards form. The letter also indicated to mail in a $250 deposit. Does anyone have any additional information? Someone wrote awhile back about receiving a binder. Has anyone else received a binder?

jawrigh1 said:
Has anyone received a registration packet? The only thing that I have received is an acceptance letter which included a new student information form and technical standards form. The letter also indicated to mail in a $250 deposit. Does anyone have any additional information? Someone wrote awhile back about receiving a binder. Has anyone else received a binder?

Nope..no binder here. I was told I would receive "a new student binder" after the deposit was confirmed. My deposit was sent 1st week of July...i'm still waiting!

I'm still looking for a female roommate if anyone is interested email me: [email protected]

I haven't received a binder, either...and I think I sent my deposit around the 1st of July, if not before.

drjds said:
I haven't received a binder, either...and I think I sent my deposit around the 1st of July, if not before.

As a matter of fact, I sent the money on June 26th. This school better get it together.

drjds said:
what other program are you waiting on?

VCU and BU. VCU lost my transcript and letter of rec from a science professor (no, really!). It was not until i called them that they told me. The whole experience soured my impression of VCU.

As far as BU goes, they are almost filled up now, so I'm doubting I'll be admitted. But, their program has the advantage of a 1 year masters degree.

Nexthova9 said:

I'm almost certain I'll be attending GA-PCOM (still waiting on one more school). I'm interested in renting an apartment, and a roomie would really be economical. if you are interested, I'd love to hear from you. i'm pretty amicable.

m foucault, Where do u plan on staying?

to be honest nexthova, im clueless! i live in a northern burb of chicago. having never set foot in the state of georgia, i'm blindly looking around rent.com and craig's list. you wouldnt happend to need a roommmate would you? :)

are most of you planning to live in a suwanee apt?

m foucault said:

as far as i know, this is GA-PCOM's first year of the biomed certificate, so they don't have matriculation stats yet.

Well, I guess I "complained" enough...I received my binder in the mail today. I'm going to have to log on to Nucleus. I hope y'all got the packet, too.

drjds said:
Well, I guess I "complained" enough...I received my binder in the mail today. I'm going to have to log on to Nucleus. I hope y'all got the packet, too.

Good that gives hope to the rest of us waiting for one.

I called GA-PCOM, and they said that we should be getting our binders by the end of the week. I hoping I get mine by today. :luck:

Plano, Tx. Going to make that move Aug. 11th, and find an apt.

I think Lawerenceville. Has anyone found an apt. they like. I believe there are numerous apartments on Sweetwater Rd. in Lawerenceville. Not to bad in price, $600-800 for one bedroom. That price range seems to be the best for one bedrooms.

Moving sucks!!

nks said:
Plano, Tx. Going to make that move Aug. 11th, and find an apt.

I think Lawerenceville. Has anyone found an apt. they like. I believe there are numerous apartments on Sweetwater Rd. in Lawerenceville. Not to bad in price, $600-800 for one bedroom. That price range seems to be the best for one bedrooms.

Moving sucks!!

I understand how you feel. You are moving further than I am. I'm in Arkansas and plan to move this weekend. I've been packing for two day now. I hate it but I look forward to starting school.

For those who have recieved the biders of info., do we have some kind of orientation or anything? I am still waiting for my binder.
Thanks!!

I haven't gotten my binder yet either, so i as clueless as u r right now.

I'm sorry, but this school is really making my nerves bad (to say that they are beginning school in a week). I feel like I am calling everyday to see what is going on. I have done FAFSA months ago and I filled out the Fin. Aid forms for GA-PCOM weeks ago and I have not been approved for any loans, yet. Is anyone having the same problem I am having? I don't have any money. I think they should just start school in September, b/c they are putting a lot of people in a bind by not having everything together. :mad: :(

drjds said:
I'm sorry, but this school is really making my nerves bad (to say that they are beginning school in a week). I feel like I am calling everyday to see what is going on. I have done FAFSA months ago and I filled out the Fin. Aid forms for GA-PCOM weeks ago and I have not been approved for any loans, yet. Is anyone having the same problem I am having? I don't have any money. I think they should just start school in September, b/c they are putting a lot of people in a bind by not having everything together. :mad: :(

I'm having the same problems. I call everyday as well. I did speak to some yesterday and she told me to go online to fill out the Master Promissary Note to expedite the processing time. She said that most people will recieve their financial aid awards information on Aug. 4th. However, this does not apply to me because (1) I have not received my binder yet with the financial aid forms and (2) I just submitted the Master Promissary Note on yesterday. I agree with you they do need to start school later.

jawrigh1 said:
I'm having the same problems. I call everyday as well. I did speak to some yesterday and she told me to go online to fill out the Master Promissary Note to expedite the processing time. She said that most people will recieve their financial aid awards information on Aug. 4th. However, this does not apply to me because (1) I have not received my binder yet with the financial aid forms and (2) I just submitted the Master Promissary Note on yesterday. I agree with you they do need to start school later.

You can fill out FAFSA online: www.fafsa.ed.gov

I called the pcom-financial aid office directly about two weeks ago and asked what I can do because I need private loans, they sent me a bunch of applications/brochures on different options.

I chose wachovia grad plus loan, you can do that online too:
http://www.wachovia.com/personal/page/0,,325_496,00.html
and am still waiting to see if i'm approved.

Other places in the packet that she sent me include citibank studentloan.com and t.h.e. www.theloanprogram.org .

I'd say call pcom-financial aid directly and ask them to send you loan info, if it helps, I spoke w/a lady named Aisha (not the one in admissions).

What is the Master Promissary Note? How do you fill it out?

curiousg said:
You can fill out FAFSA online: www.fafsa.ed.gov

I called the pcom-financial aid office directly about two weeks ago and asked what I can do because I need private loans, they sent me a bunch of applications/brochures on different options.

I chose wachovia grad plus loan, you can do that online too:
http://www.wachovia.com/personal/page/0,,325_496,00.html
and am still waiting to see if i'm approved.

Other places in the packet that she sent me include citibank studentloan.com and t.h.e. www.theloanprogram.org .

I'd say call pcom-financial aid directly and ask them to send you loan info, if it helps, I spoke w/a lady named Aisha (not the one in admissions).

What is the Master Promissary Note? How do you fill it out?

The Stafford Loan Master Promissary Note is found by going to www.pcom.edu then clicking on the Financial Aid link on the right side of the page. The next page will have links on the left side of the page. Click on the link that says Stafford Loan MPN. I have also included a direct link. Hopefully, it will work. If not follow the above directions. http://www.pcom.edu/Financial_Aid/Apply_for_Financial_Aid/MPN.html :thumbup:

jawrigh1 said:
The Stafford Loan Master Promissary Note is found by going to www.pcom.edu then clicking on the Financial Aid link on the right side of the page. The next page will have links on the left side of the page. Click on the link that says Stafford Loan MPN. I have also included a direct link. Hopefully, it will work. If not follow the above directions. http://www.pcom.edu/Financial_Aid/Apply_for_Financial_Aid/MPN.html :thumbup:

thanks. :) i filled it out.

here's an email I got today from Aisha:

We are in the process of setting up your email account and NUCLEUSaddress. NUCLUES is what the students use an informational source on and off campus. Regarding Orientation it begins for the BioMed Students Monday August 14th and the time is TBA. Please contact our office on Monday of next week to find out the time. The classes as well begin onthe 14th of August. Dress is business casual.

Hello, when Aisha said dress is business casual, do you think she meant only for the orientation or for classes, as well?

curiousg said:
thanks. :) i filled it out.

here's an email I got today from Aisha:

We are in the process of setting up your email account and NUCLEUSaddress. NUCLUES is what the students use an informational source on and off campus. Regarding Orientation it begins for the BioMed Students Monday August 14th and the time is TBA. Please contact our office on Monday of next week to find out the time. The classes as well begin onthe 14th of August. Dress is business casual.

drjds said:
Hello, when Aisha said dress is business casual, do you think she meant only for the orientation or for classes, as well?

I think for orientation?

Does anyone still need to turn in their health physical form? Is anyone applying for work-study or planning on getting a part-time job?

it's probably just for the orientation b/c i spoke with someone who goes to their med school and she said they don't have to dress up everyday (but some other DO schools do mandate this)

Has everyone received their binders by now?

drjds said:
Has everyone received their binders by now?

I still haven't received my binder or anything else other than the acceptance letter. :(

one more week left...I have yet to find a booklist! Anybody know what time orientation will be on Monday?

future Dr. Pate said:
one more week left...I have yet to find a booklist! Anybody know what time orientation will be on Monday?

No, like everything else (can't seem to get any information from them). Is anyone else having trouble with financial aid, or am I the only one?

I haven't recv'd any info from GA-PCOM yet. I did however, get a finAid packet and sent the forms back today. I'm nervous about not being able to cover the total tuition&fees. I applied for Grad Plus loans, but was denied due to credit issues. What can I do? Does anyone know the class schedule? What time should we arrive on Monday? I'm tired of calling the school for info.

november1 said:
I haven't recv'd any info from GA-PCOM yet. I did however, get a finAid packet and sent the forms back today. I'm nervous about not being able to cover the total tuition&fees. I applied for Grad Plus loans, but was denied due to credit issues. What can I do? Does anyone know the class schedule? What time should we arrive on Monday? I'm tired of calling the school for info.

okay, just got off the phone w/Aisha. she said:

1- orientation is at 4:30pm on Monday, Aug 14th at the Main Lobby of the main building. she said the campus is basically one building so we will know which building to go to (address is 625 old peachtree rd nw suwanee 30024), free parking around the building.

2- at orientation we will get our schedules and have a chance to talk with someone about financial aid.

3- she said it'd be helpful if we call financial aid ahead of time to make sure they have all of our paperwork and that everything is processed (good idea, i just called financial aid and thought they had everything of mine but i have to turn in more paperwork like copy of passport/entrance interview q's/etc. - all the stuff included in the financial package everyone should've gotten. if you haven't, call them and ask them to send you it).
financial aid: 215-871-6170

see everyone monday :thumbup:

If you log on to your nucleus email, you should get this:

>>> Deborah Castellano 08/04/06 3:13 PM >>>
Welcome to PCOM - Biomedical Science Certificate program -Georgia Campus

This is to advise you that you have been registered for the Fall 2006 term for the following courses:

BIOM 551G - Human Gross Anatomy - Held on Monday and Tuesday Evenings from 6PM to 9PM
BIOM 557G - Human Embryology - Held on Thursday Evenings from 6PM to 9PM

The Fall term begins on August 14th.

There will be a short orientation on the 14th from 4PM

If you have any questions regarding your schedule, please do not hesitate to contact me either by e-mail or at 215-871-6707.

Thank you.
Deborah Castellano
Registrar
215-871-6707

If someone finds out what books we will need, please post.

drjds said:
If someone finds out what books we will need, please post.

Books will be available Friday at the bookstore on campus.

jawrigh1 said:
Books will be available Friday at the bookstore on campus.

Did you find out the titles?

drjds said:
Did you find out the titles?

No, the lady at the bookstore in Philly just told me to get my books at the GA campus bookstore Friday.

just called admissions again to confirm orientation time and it is 4pm, not 4:30pm, in lecture hall B.

so what are the intial thoughts on the program???

I'm holding off on any judgement till we get our first exams back in both classes but I do like the fast paced environment :D