Official George Washington University Class of 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another question - has anyone tried to sign up for housing yet? Any luck?

Members don't see this ad.

Another question - has anyone tried to sign up for housing yet? Any luck?

If you mean HOVA you can't yet. The costs were released ($900 for a single) but applications are not available yet, and they aren't taking sign-ups in advance.

i'm pretty sure that's true (can't remember exactly when i got mine). i think it's also pretty common for schools to send out offers that late, unfortunately. i had to withdraw from a number of schools last year before ever seeing my fin-aid offer because it was already may 15.

Also!!!

The office will send estimated awards for GW-based aid beginning in May, and award notification will be sent in June!

WTF?!?! I thought all schools sent out their financial aid stuff by like March so that we could make up our minds!

Anyone who is currently a student at GW know if this is an accurate estimate of the time line?! Waiting til' May seems like its pushing it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the financial aid info over email. There is a part of the email that says:

Whats the college code number? When I submitted my FAFSA I sent it to the E00197 number. Do I need to resubmit with this college code number???

Bump - anyone know what the college code is?

It seems like the school should have some guideline so people can know if they are borderline for aid, or definitely not getting aid, or likely getting aid. And I just called and they said they don't have anything like that.

They transfered me to Mr. Carpenter and I left him a voicemail so hopefully he can help me out a little more. But I mean financial aid is always a huge deciding factor in picking a school, and if they aren't going to send out packages until May then they should really give you SOME idea. I mean my family is pretty damn low income, but I have no idea if its in the lowest third of a class at GWU.

Grrrr.

Sorry, I'm just really annoyed it is one thing to wait until March but to wait until May knowing nothing more than "the neediest 33% of the class received an average of 15k aid last year" is really nerve-wracking.

I hope Mr. Carpenter helps me out a little more.

/venting

I am still waiting to enter this forum! It's been seven weeks. Should I call?

I didn't call I just waited the extra week. Good Luck to you!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys - when are we supposed to file the FAFSA? Is it too late now? I guess i have no clue how financial aid works...could any of you give me some insight please? Thanks a lot and have fun in spring break!!!

~Andreea

I think the FAFSA form will be available until April 1st. It could be longer though.

I think the FAFSA form will be available until April 1st. It could be longer though.

Yeah they just sent out the financial stuff from GW last week saying to do it. So it can't be too late already.

Also the form itself is available all year, but schools have individual deadlines.

So I don't think has been covered yet.

Does GWU offer insurance to its students in a group plan or do we all have to find individual insurance?

Hey there,

I am currently a 2nd year (almost 3rd!) student at GWU.

Several months back, I sent my stethoscope back to the manufacturer because it had a scratch (yeah, I know...petty). Nevertheless, they sent me back a new model along with a 50% off coupon code that I could pass along to my class.

Here is the website: http://www.mdfdirect.com/
and the coupon code: QGW50

The quality is exceptional and, as you can see from my petty return, the warranty is as well.

The only condition for the purchase is that it has to be made from your GW email account.

If you have any questions regarding the stethoscope, GW, DC, or what to expect next year; feel free to write.

Congratulations and good luck!

E

Hey there,

I am currently a 2nd year (almost 3rd!) student at GWU.

Several months back, I sent my stethoscope back to the manufacturer because it had a scratch (yeah, I know...petty). Nevertheless, they sent me back a new model along with a 50% off coupon code that I could pass along to my class.

Here is the website: http://www.mdfdirect.com/
and the coupon code: QGW50

The quality is exceptional and, as you can see from my petty return, the warranty is as well.

The only condition for the purchase is that it has to be made from your GW email account.

If you have any questions regarding the stethoscope, GW, DC, or what to expect next year; feel free to write.

Congratulations and good luck!

E
Awesome thanks!

Do you know how long that coupon is good for?? Cuz most of us MS0's won't have our GW email accounts for a while.

Awesome thanks!

Do you know how long that coupon is good for?? Cuz most of us MS0's won't have our GW email accounts for a while.

I don't think it has an expiration. One of my classmates ordered a few weeks ago without a problem. I think that the company is trying to get their name out and compete with Littmann. Pretty good thinking to get in early with the students, since most docs I know still have the same stethoscope they graduated with.

Do any current GW students have recommendations for laptops? I had planned on buying one closer to August, but unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to get it much sooner than expected. I was thinking of getting a tablet, but I wanted to see if you guys had any advice. Thanks!

MS0's :D I like it.

Tablet's are pretty cool, if you like the whole stylus pen writing thng, personally I like typing. But i'm all about getting a laptop thats actually portable and not one of those giant ones that people have these days... unless of course you are a giant yourself :D

Anyone who's at GW now want to share tips about dress code?

Is there one? How linient is it? Etc.

Officially, I don't think you can come to class naked... but I'm sure there are exceptions.
During clinical times and interviews, professional dress is expected. Basically, if you are going to be in with patients (mock or otherwise), dress professionally. In class, casual is the rule

During 1st/2nd year, you can basically wear your pajamas. Just do your classmates a favor and try to shower once and a while - there's a little more give with that rule during finals week.

As above, with patients you need to dress like an adult.

Hey all,
I have a question about how GW prepares its students for boards? Also, any information on the Match 2007 at GW would be greatly appreciated. :love:

I have a question about how GW prepares its students for boards?
It doesn't really - well ok that's too extreme. We have weekly review sessions organized by students starting in the 2nd semester of 2nd year, they offer the Pathology and Biochem shelf exams, and I think you can do the microbio shelf too, all of which help. They give you from May 5 to July 5 or so to study and take it - the Kaplan class is offered at the school. Honestly, the best way to prepare for the boards is to do practice questions and pay attention during 2nd year. We tend to be around the national average in terms of scores, and we are consistently getting better.

Also, any information on the Match 2007 at GW would be greatly appreciated. :love:

We matched really well! We had Derm and Ophtho matches which I think we haven't had for a while. My buddies matched ED at Standford and Ob and Cornell! I'm so proud. I'll let you know if they release an official list to us. :thumbup:

Thanks for the info!!!!!! I have a few other questions:
1.) What is the testing format for 1st year classes? Do the professors give individual exams for each class? Or is it just one big exam?

2.)In the second year, are the classes thought by organ system? For example, do the classes all focus on the Cardiovascular System, then move to say Neuro etc.

Thanks!!!!:love:

Thanks for the info!!!!!! I have a few other questions:
1.) What is the testing format for 1st year classes? Do the professors give individual exams for each class? Or is it just one big exam?

2.)In the second year, are the classes thought by organ system? For example, do the classes all focus on the Cardiovascular System, then move to say Neuro etc.

Thanks!!!!:love:

1. Professors write tests for each subject. There are 3 gross anatomy tests, 3 microanatomy tests, and 3 neurobio tests the first semester, etc. The only time this is not the case is in the second semester of second year when there is one big test per system(s). It'll make more sense when you start.

2. The only semester that teaches by systems really is 2nd year, 2nd semester. As above, one big test with pharm, path and clinical medicine on one test, two systems generally combined on a test - the most recent one was GI/Renal. The other three semesters are taught by subject but there is a little overlap in what you cover between subjects.

Hey guys - i just wanted to say THANKS for all the info provided, it's really helpful. I am so excited to move to DC!!!!!! I just got done with undergrad and all i can think of is GWU and the East Coast....Cheers! Have a fun spring break!
~Andreea :luck:

Thanks for all the info!!!!!

That was a GREAT Video of Match Day 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am SUPER EXCITED about GW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

Hey guys are we gonna get together somehow before school starts? That would be so much fun, maybe go camping or something...
~Andreea

Just a quick question about financial aid. I'm on the waitlist for GW hoping and praying to get int but I know most schools require everyone to fill out financial aid forms even if you're not accepted. Is the FAFSA the only application to fill out for GW or are there additional forms? Thanks in advance:)

Just a quick question about financial aid. I'm on the waitlist for GW hoping and praying to get int but I know most schools require everyone to fill out financial aid forms even if you're not accepted. Is the FAFSA the only application to fill out for GW or are there additional forms? Thanks in advance:)

Has anyone found the 2007 match list? After seeing the festive video of Match Day, I'd like to see what made everyone "so very, very proud."

Thanks

Has anyone found the 2007 match list? After seeing the festive video of Match Day, I'd like to see what made everyone "so very, very proud."

Thanks

i haven't even seen it, and i go to school there. i'll try to see if i can dig it up somewhere and i'll let you guys know.

Hey Guys,
Just wondering about how long it took you guys to hear back from GW after interviewing. I interviewed mid February, and havent heard anything, did any of you guys call to find out anything, or is it best to just stick it out.
Hope I see some of you in the future,
thanks,
Kevin

Hey Guys,
Just wondering about how long it took you guys to hear back from GW after interviewing. I interviewed mid February, and havent heard anything, did any of you guys call to find out anything, or is it best to just stick it out.
Hope I see some of you in the future,
thanks,
Kevin

i interviewed mid January and still haven't heard. when i called they couldn't tell me anything more than keep waiting.

I am really interested in GW Med and will be applying this summer. Did you guys all get ur apps in early? Also, do you mind telling me ur stats? Thanks.

I think that sending in your applications as early as possible is absolutely key, i had my AMCAS in late June, got the secondary before AMCAS was processed, sent in the secondary - which is basically WHY you wanna go to GWU in 250words - in mid July and then interviewed in Sept, heard back in 3 weeks....my stats were exactly on the average for the school, my GPA was a little higher i think, but the interview is blind so once you get there everybody is basically equal.
Good Luck and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask us - after all we have survived this ordeal of applying :D

~Andreea