Official George Washington University Class of 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My roommate is moving out in June and her bedroom/bathroom is available for $875, we are a 7 minute walk from the Clarendon metro stop which is three stops from Foggy Bottom. I will be an MSIV next year, the other roomie is in public health. we are women, quiet, fun, clean....PM with questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Did we receive an email about housing from GW? I seem to remember this...... If so can someone send it to me.........Please.:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did we receive an email about housing from GW? I seem to remember this...... If so can someone send it to me.........Please.:love:

I dont think we received any emails on housing just yet.

I dont think we received any emails on housing just yet.

Yeah all we have gotten is this:

Dear Incoming First Year Student:

We look forward to your matriculation at The George Washington University School of Medicine. 2007 Orientation materials will be sent in July. In preparation for matriculation we would like to remind you of the following:

 All official transcripts & proof of completion of remaining conditions listed on your contract must be received before July 15, 2007. (We do require final, official transcripts from all schools attended, even if a degree was not received. If you have received a degree, please make sure the official transcript will have your degree listed on the transcript. All final, official transcripts should be sent directly from your institution to the Office of Admissions (address listed below). AMCAS does not send official transcripts to individual medical schools.

 The initial $100 deposit is due by May 15.

General housing information is now available online! In addition to the resources available on our website, we have created a GoogleGroup. This is purely to share information and meet each other. (Official information is not posted on the site.) Here is the link if you are interested: http://groups.google.com/group/gw-med-class-of-2011

We know that many of you have the good fortune of multiple offers. Please remember that you may only hold one seat after May 15, 2007. We sincerely hope you will choose to be with us!

We want your transition to Washington, D.C. to be as smooth as possible. Please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions at (202) 994-3506 or via e-mail at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Diane P. McQuail, M.A.
Assistant Dean of Admissions
Chair, Committee on Admissions

With the google group listed with housing opportunities. But if you look at the post I made above about HOVA, thats the reply from the housing department at GW. Its got some great resources on apartment buildings to look into as well as their own search function. I'm gonna say thats the best we get as far as housing info.

Anyone else stressed by this housing situation?:(

Anyone else stressed by this housing situation?:(

Not really, I'm probably just going to get a studio near a metro somewhere. It would have been nice to live right there in HOVA but that ship sailed. And at 1000-1200 for a room in an apartment in foggy bottom!! There is no way I'm doing that. So commuting it is.

Not really, I'm probably just going to get a studio near a metro somewhere. It would have been nice to live right there in HOVA but that ship sailed. And at 1000-1200 for a room in an apartment in foggy bottom!! There is no way I'm doing that. So commuting it is.

$1000 for a studio is super cheap. you'll prob have a hard time finding anything close to a metro for less than that. you might be able to find an efficiency in capitol hill for around $900-$1000 close to union station. i think most places in arlington near the metro (places like rosslyn, clarendon, courthouse) will be more expensive than that. if you can find roommates in a townhouse in those areas; that might be a bit cheaper. a friend of mine shares a 2 bedroom apt in crystal city (about a 25 min commute on the blue line) and i believe she pays $1000, and it's gigantic. In any case, I'm sure you'll be able to find some place for <$1,000, but you're going to have to look very thoroughly. i think roommate(s) is really the way to go. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely not staying in Foggy Bottom if it's not HOVA, so if anyone is looking for a roommate please PM me! Thanks! :)
~Andreea

For anyone who's interested, a partial GW list has been posted in the pre-allo forum thread, 2007 Match List

take that list with a grain of salt - this is just where 4th years who acted/sang/danced in our follies show matched. it was published in the show's program. it doesn't represent the diversity of the match - a lot of the specialties where people matched are not shown (ENT, ophtho, dermatology, etc). i think the only way to obtain the official gw match list is to call admissions - and they may not even be able to supply it to you. in any case, how much can you really tell about a match list? it might be fun to poke through a list and see where people end up, but i don't think it should play a major role in anyone's choice of school. i'm only saying this because when i was in your shoes, i thought match lists were important too. but, now that i'm actually in school, i realize that other factors are much more important when choosing a school. anyway, best of luck.

it might be fun to poke through a list and see where people end up, but i don't think it should play a major role in anyone's choice of school. i'm only saying this because when i was in your shoes, i thought match lists were important too. but, now that i'm actually in school, i realize that other factors are much more important when choosing a school. anyway, best of luck.

What factors would you give more weight to? When you made your decision, what tipped the balance to GW?

What factors would you give more weight to? When you made your decision, what tipped the balance to GW?

this is just my opinion, but when it comes time to choose a med school, i think you should think more about the med school years than the post-med school years. it's just too impossible to predict that far into the future - you might have an idea of what you want to do in the future, but that almost always changes. if you get good grades, scores, do well on your rotations,etc, there's no reason you shouldn't do well in the match. and, those are things that are dependent on you much more so than on your school.

i think location ends up being a lot more important than most people think. you do actually have a life in med school, so you're going to want to make sure you're going to enjoy living there. cost of living obviously plays into that too.

i'm sure you might have some specific interests in mind - are there opportunities to pursue those interests at the school? that's always pretty easy to find out. i'll use a lot of my gw classmates as an example - many of them were really interested in international opportunities, which lead them to gw. and, i can't even tell you how many student-organized trips/missions/programs people have attended or will be attending this summer.

i know you don't always get to meet current students and faculty, but that could be important to. it was very important for me. gw was the only school i went to where i really felt comfortable with the students. they seemed particularly genuine and candid about how things were going for them. i know that there are people in my class who chose gw because it tends to chose a very experientially-diverse and what you might call "non-traditional" class.

these are just some things i'm throwing out here. i think your experience in medical school can range anywhere from awful (sucking all life from you) to really great. like i said, you can't predict where your experience will fall on that spectrum, but i think you can get a decent idea of that and use that idea to differentiate between schools.

if i can list what separated gw for me, i guess i'd say:
-variety of opportunities
-amount of clinical training early on (this one is kind of wishy-washy, but i just liked the idea of breaking up the monotomy of basic sciences with clinical skills stuff!)
-advice from a number of doctors at the hospital i worked at

so far, i've had a great time - i have a great preceptor, i'm doing well in my classes, my classmates are great, i've had a lot of time to check out dc, and i've got a great summer research project lined up. so, i think i ended up making the right choices.

in any case, that's my advice. good luck with your decision!

this is just my opinion, but when it comes time to choose a med school, i think you should think more about the med school years than the post-med school years. it's just too impossible to predict that far into the future - you might have an idea of what you want to do in the future, but that almost always changes. if you get good grades, scores, do well on your rotations,etc, there's no reason you shouldn't do well in the match. and, those are things that are dependent on you much more so than on your school.

i think location ends up being a lot more important than most people think. you do actually have a life in med school, so you're going to want to make sure you're going to enjoy living there. cost of living obviously plays into that too.

i'm sure you might have some specific interests in mind - are there opportunities to pursue those interests at the school? that's always pretty easy to find out. i'll use a lot of my gw classmates as an example - many of them were really interested in international opportunities, which lead them to gw. and, i can't even tell you how many student-organized trips/missions/programs people have attended or will be attending this summer.

i know you don't always get to meet current students and faculty, but that could be important to. it was very important for me. gw was the only school i went to where i really felt comfortable with the students. they seemed particularly genuine and candid about how things were going for them. i know that there are people in my class who chose gw because it tends to chose a very experientially-diverse and what you might call "non-traditional" class.

these are just some things i'm throwing out here. i think your experience in medical school can range anywhere from awful (sucking all life from you) to really great. like i said, you can't predict where your experience will fall on that spectrum, but i think you can get a decent idea of that and use that idea to differentiate between schools.

if i can list what separated gw for me, i guess i'd say:
-variety of opportunities
-amount of clinical training early on (this one is kind of wishy-washy, but i just liked the idea of breaking up the monotomy of basic sciences with clinical skills stuff!)
-advice from a number of doctors at the hospital i worked at

so far, i've had a great time - i have a great preceptor, i'm doing well in my classes, my classmates are great, i've had a lot of time to check out dc, and i've got a great summer research project lined up. so, i think i ended up making the right choices.

in any case, that's my advice. good luck with your decision!

When is everyone planning on moving to dc?

I'm planning on the first week of August - get settled and explore before classes start. Plus I want to meet all of my future classmates!

I'm also planning to move to DC the first week of August. I want to be adjusted to the city before classes start.:thumbup:

I'm also planning to move to DC the first week of August. I want to be adjusted to the city before classes start.:thumbup:

I'll probably come a day or two early just to find housing - we have like 6 days of orientation anyway so its not like they're going to throw us into classes.

When is orientation supposed to start? And the White Coat ceremony? I think i'll be moving a bit earlier as well, cause I'd love to get to know some people before classes start. ~Andreea:)

I think orientation starts august 22nd, but i'm not 100% sure.

Got an estimated aid package today via email. I dunno if everyone will though - I had called earlier to see what they thought and its possible Mr. Carpenter just made a note to get me an estimate as soon as possible.

But hopefully everyone else will get there estimates too. He said official awards should be out next week.

Hey,
Did the financial aid letter mention when we would need to apply for private loans?

Hey,
Did the financial aid letter mention when we would need to apply for private loans?

No, it didn't but it wasn't an official offer letter so maybe when everyone gets those next week it will.

Got an estimated aid package today via email. I dunno if everyone will though - I had called earlier to see what they thought and its possible Mr. Carpenter just made a note to get me an estimate as soon as possible.

But hopefully everyone else will get there estimates too. He said official awards should be out next week.

What did you have to fill out to get an estimated aid package by email? I will be attending GWU next fall and have only sent my $100 deposit and was wondering when I need to send in so that I can get my estimated package .

What did you have to fill out to get an estimated aid package by email? I will be attending GWU next fall and have only sent my $100 deposit and was wondering when I need to send in so that I can get my estimated package .

Back in early april they sent out this email which explains the steps to finalize the finanical aid application.

Dear Incoming GW Medical Students,

We are now ready to start the 2007/2008 financial aid process effective Thursday, April 5, 2007. Please read this email carefully and follow the steps carefully and the process will flow smoothly for you. Also note that there is NO application deadline for incoming students but you are encouraged to complete the process promptly to allow us to extend your aid offer before your decision dates.

First, complete your FAFSA application (if you have not yet done so).

Second, visit the following link for the application checklist. Select ONLY the checklist option that fits the type of aid that you will apply for, either GW Institutional aid or Federal loans only and print off that form. Provide that specific information the checklist requires to our office promptly. http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/frame/checklist_index.htm

Third, visit our website to view the 2007/2008 financial aid budgets to assist you in determining the amount of aid that you may need.

http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/frame/budget.htm

Fourth, visit the On-line Application (see link below) and use your ssn and date of birth as your id and password. [The application available for use beginning April 5th. If you have difficulties in entering the application please contact me.] At the end of the application there is a link to the Electronic GW Supplemental Application that you will also need to complete.
http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/frame/application.html

Fifth, complete the Electronic GW Supplemental Application available at the end of the On-line Application. You will need to create a NEW id and password to enter this application.

Sixth, review the attached letter about selecting a lender for the coming year. Also, view the link below to visit our frequently used lender chart that details program highlights and terms (You are free to use any lender you wish.)

http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/frame/premier_compare.html

Finally, follow any further instructions that we provide.

Thanks and welcome to the 2007/2008 academic year!

Chuck Carpenter
Med Financial Aid

Thanks alwaysaangel.

Didn't work for me? Says I have not officially accepted or something to that effect?

Didnt work for me either....

Remember if you havent sent in your deposit to do so asap!

Haha, walking it in, in a couple of hours!! :D

Second, visit the following link for the application checklist. Select ONLY the checklist option that fits the type of aid that you will apply for, either GW Institutional aid or Federal loans only and print off that form. Provide that specific information the checklist requires to our office promptly. http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/fr...list_index.htm

I'm confused by this. If we want to be considered for both GW Institutional aid and Federal Loans, we print out both checklists and provide that information to their office. Its not like we have to choose to either ONLY apply for GW Institutional aid OR Federal Loans. Thats what makese sense to me but they way it is worded makes it rather confusing. Thanks.

I'm confused by this. If we want to be considered for both GW Institutional aid and Federal Loans, we print out both checklists and provide that information to their office. Its not like we have to choose to either ONLY apply for GW Institutional aid OR Federal Loans. Thats what makese sense to me but they way it is worded makes it rather confusing. Thanks.

They worded it funny. But if you look they are the same except institutional aid requires parental info. If you want to qualify for GW aid at all (+Federal loans) do that checklist - which requires parental info. If you don't want to submit parental info you have to do the federal loans only checklist.

Hey all,
Just call the admissions office if you are trying to log in with GW ID and NET ID for housing. They will give you a GW ID and you can set up the NET ID. By the way, did anyone receive their room assignments yet?

Hey all,
Just call the admissions office if you are trying to log in with GW ID and NET ID for housing. They will give you a GW ID and you can set up the NET ID. By the way, did anyone receive their room assignments yet?

We have room assignments?? Is it like 3rd grade?! Who's my teacher?

JK - but seriously what are you takling about.

HOVA Room Assignments.

Anyone get their room assignments yet?

I have a room in HOVA but not a specific assignment yet....how many of us will be living there next year? :)

HOVA Room Assignments.

WHAT?!?! They told me they weren't letting new students into HOVA!!!

How on earth did you guys get rooms in HOVA?!

Thats really going to piss me off if they lied to me!

Hey AndreeaB,
I'm still waiting on my room assignment too. Do you know how many of us will be staying in HOVA?

Alwaysaangel- I don't know how we were able to get rooms in HOVA.

Alwaysaangel- I don't know how we were able to get rooms in HOVA.

Well what did you guys do?

Just happen to catch the webpage on a day it didn't say "no space?" Did you call housing? Email? I'd like to know how you guys did it so I could have a shot too.

I contacted them every way I could think of, was as nice as possible and they still told me that there was no way there would be space for new students this year.

Well what did you guys do?

Just happen to catch the webpage on a day it didn't say "no space?" Did you call housing? Email? I'd like to know how you guys did it so I could have a shot too.

I contacted them every way I could think of, was as nice as possible and they still told me that there was no way there would be space for new students this year.

I emailed and called them before leaving the country for over a month and when i returned i found an email saying that i need to send in my license agreement by April 24th if i want a room in HOVA. When i first contacted them there was nothing on the web saying that there are no available rooms in HOVA.

Sorry i can't help more. Hope it will work out.