Official George Washington University Class of 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump

Members don't see this ad.

Got my official financial aid offer today.

Any current students want to give us MS0s an idea of what "supplies" we'll need for first year?

I have a birthday coming up and figured I could knock out a few things with that - since I don't really need anything else.

So what books and supplies would you say are a necessity or they're gonna make us buy first year anyway? Stethoscope? Neurohammer? USMLE first aid?

you don't really need much. definitely don't bother getting the otoscope or ophthalmoscope (huge waste of money). you WILL need a 1) stethoscope 2) reflex hammer 3) tuning fork (125 or 250 Hz, i believe). you're also probably going to want to have scrubs (i'd say 2 pairs) and gloves (1-2 pairs) for gross lab. you will get a perfectly good reflex hammer for free at white coat. you can buy all of the other things at the equipment fair during orientation week. a good stethoscope will prob cost you $120 or so. they will have two vendors a the fair. although, if you want to get one beforehand or if someone is planning on getting you one as a gift, the ones the brands they recommend are the Littmans (not sure which model is the best) and the Welch-Allyn Harvey models. Most students get the Littman and everyone seems to be happy with it. I ended up getting the Harvey Deluxe model by Welch-Allyn and it's been fine (all you need to do first year is listen to breath sounds and BP's and very basic heart sounds). i ordered mine from welch-allyn on-line and got some sort of a student discount. i think i ended up paying $130 which was actually cheaper than what the vendor was selling it for at our equipment sale - but only by a few bucks.

that turned into a long post... basically, you won't need to get anything in advance. but, if someone wants to get you a gift, go for the stethoscope. i think they may have run out of scrubs last year at the activity fair, so that might be something to buy in advance too. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't really need much. definitely don't bother getting the otoscope or ophthalmoscope (huge waste of money). you WILL need a 1) stethoscope 2) reflex hammer 3) tuning fork (125 or 250 Hz, i believe). you're also probably going to want to have scrubs (i'd say 2 pairs) and gloves (1-2 pairs) for gross lab. you will get a perfectly good reflex hammer for free at white coat. you can buy all of the other things at the equipment fair during orientation week. a good stethoscope will prob cost you $120 or so. they will have two vendors a the fair. although, if you want to get one beforehand or if someone is planning on getting you one as a gift, the ones the brands they recommend are the Littmans (not sure which model is the best) and the Welch-Allyn Harvey models. Most students get the Littman and everyone seems to be happy with it. I ended up getting the Harvey Deluxe model by Welch-Allyn and it's been fine (all you need to do first year is listen to breath sounds and BP's and very basic heart sounds). i ordered mine from welch-allyn on-line and got some sort of a student discount. i think i ended up paying $130 which was actually cheaper than what the vendor was selling it for at our equipment sale - but only by a few bucks.

that turned into a long post... basically, you won't need to get anything in advance. but, if someone wants to get you a gift, go for the stethoscope. i think they may have run out of scrubs last year at the activity fair, so that might be something to buy in advance too. good luck.

Thanks so much for the response!! YOU ROCK! Seriously, you have been incredibly helpful to us incoming MS1s in this thread. We really appreciate it.

Yeah my bf got me the stethoscope (or I'm assuming so - I was helping him clear up something on his credit card statement and a $140 charge to allheart was there). So no oto/opthalmoscope at all? I was looking at cheap ones but even that was $100 - glad to save money! Scrubs I've got from being a medical assistant, so I guess I'm good.

One other question...what do you think the more useful books are? As far as review for GWU tests go? I've heard that a lot of people in med school (in general) use either BRS or High Yield to help clarify concepts and review for tests. Is one of the other better relative to the classes and depth taught at GWU?

hey - no problem, i'm glad i can help you guys. yeah, i'd bet that's prob a stethoscope - and it's prob a good one if it's $140. about the oto/ophtho -scopes, yeah, you definitely will not need one. we used them once to look in our classmates' eyes/ears/noses/throats at the very end of the year. and that was in doctor-patient-society, when you're all in the 6th floor of the hospital. every room up there has an oto/ophtho set. just be warned that your scrubs might go beyond the point that you'll want to ever use them again (after so long in the lab, the smell never really goes away), so i hope you don't mind parting with a pair or two of scrubs.

as for books, it really depends on how you study. the faculty members always recommend certain texts for the classes, but none of them are really required. the notesets that you will get for each class are usually comprehensive, and you will be able to rely largely on that content and what you take down from lecture for the exams. some classes you really have to go to (i.e., biochemistry), because the notesets are just outlines. i'd say, if any, the following textbooks were most necessary/useful: an atlas for gross (most used netters, some also bought rohen's because it used real dissection photos); some sort of text for biochemistry - many of them are free on-line at the himmelfarb library site, or a lot of people used either BRS or lippincott's basic text (like a BRS book, but more substantial); and one of the texts for immuno (because it's tough to catch all the info in that class).

i wouldn't worry about getting any usmle prep books during first year. the boards will be well into the future still. so, i'd recommend not worrying aboutu the texts, except for the gross atlas, at first until you've been through a few classes. then, if you find you need more info, you'll have a number of options to choose from at either the gw bookstore or reiter's books on k street.

you guys will be getting a big orientation packet with a guide to med school sometime over the summer. it will be very informative - lots of info about different classes, professors, gwu, foggy bottom, dc, etc. enjoy your summers!

Thanks so much for the response!! YOU ROCK! Seriously, you have been incredibly helpful to us incoming MS1s in this thread. We really appreciate it.

Yeah my bf got me the stethoscope (or I'm assuming so - I was helping him clear up something on his credit card statement and a $140 charge to allheart was there). So no oto/opthalmoscope at all? I was looking at cheap ones but even that was $100 - glad to save money! Scrubs I've got from being a medical assistant, so I guess I'm good.

One other question...what do you think the more useful books are? As far as review for GWU tests go? I've heard that a lot of people in med school (in general) use either BRS or High Yield to help clarify concepts and review for tests. Is one of the other better relative to the classes and depth taught at GWU?

Medstylee,

Thanks so much for everything! You are really helping us all so much. We'll owe you a drink once school starts :)

~Andreea

How many days after sending in your fin aid packet did it take the office to get back to you?

Anyone care to share if they got scholarships if they have heard back?

How many days after sending in your fin aid packet did it take the office to get back to you?

Anyone care to share if they got scholarships if they have heard back?

No clue when I sent the financial aid packet - sometime the same wee we got the first email - so first week of April or so. Got my estimate 4/30. Got my official offer 5/29.

I got 10k in scholarships, 4k in Perkins loans, and the rest was stafford or grad plus loans.

They do something interesting - you only get the scholarships if you take out the full amount in stafford loans. They won't reimburse the scholarship part until all the loans are withdrawn. I think thats great. Keeps people from lying about their financial situation and then taking the scholarship and having their savings/mommy and daddy cover the rest without loans (happened a lot in undergrad).

I've decided to go to Tufts for school next year - it was a really difficult decision, and you guys were a big part of the GW appeal. I wanted to thank all of you for your advice and your help throughout the year. I hope that you all have an amazing time at GW, and stay in touch!

I've decided to go to Tufts for school next year - it was a really difficult decision, and you guys were a big part of the GW appeal. I wanted to thank all of you for your advice and your help throughout the year. I hope that you all have an amazing time at GW, and stay in touch!

Congrats on your decision!!! Good luck!

I got my financial aid today. Yay, I'm glad that process is over! :hardy:

Finding a place to live near school is so draining. :thumbdown: Can't wait until it's all said and done!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey AndreeaB,
I'm not. However, I am looking for a mentor.. someone to help guide me with trying to balance being a physician and a researcher. What field are you interested in?

Are any of you newbies looking for a place to live? I am a rising second year (taking step 1 in two weeks, yikes!), and my two current roommates are graduating. The master bedroom has been filled by a rising first year, so there is one room left. The place is in rosslyn (1 stop from school in virginia), about 2 blocks to the metro (If i leave my place by 8 46 im in my chair by 9 for class), and its relatively cheap, but the place is huge and real nice. I am 23, m, and so is the new kid moving in (check that, im not sure how old he is). If anyone is interested or just has any questions in general about gw or med school just shoot me an email (or reply to this post, though i cant promise ill check it). [email protected]
JP

Hey AndreeaB,
I'm not. However, I am looking for a mentor.. someone to help guide me with trying to balance being a physician and a researcher. What field are you interested in?

I'm thinking of transfering into an MD/PhD program - interested in neuroscience, particularly adult neurogenesis, but I am also struggling with possibly balacing the clinical and the research aspects of such a career

Yeah, thats my issue too. I want to stick with the cardiovascular research field. I'm planning to speak with a few physicians that are practicing and conducting research. Hopefully, I will gain some insight into how they are able to achieve this balance. Another thing that baffles me is residency..... I have been doing some research on a few programs that offer research components but I'm still a little confused.

turned in my financial aid offer before vacation. received my a couple of days ago and got what i expected. i guess unsub stafford loan amt increased from last year to this year, anyone else did this happen to (30,000 to 32,000 this year).

finished the paper work and already sent in my 3000 deposit and budget planning form to admissions office so the only thing left is the health inventory form.

august 22 and orientation will be here before we know it. good luck to all those trying to find housing in the dc area.

Well, I'm living proof you CAN get off a waitlist if you walk that line between being gracious and annoying long enough!!!

I've tried emailing Medadmit to find out when our orientation begins, get an academic calender (I have a 5 year old who's schedule I have to coordinate with my own) and find out when the white coat ceremony will be (if they are still doing that). Haven't heard back, so will probably call Monday.... if any of you have information, please share.

Can't wait to meet you all - this is such an exciting phase of my life and am looking forward to sharing it with you.

Hey Guys,

It was great talking to you all these months.

I actually got in off the waitlist at UC Irvine so I won't be joining you all next Fall. I'm a little sad since GW has so many great traits. But the UC is just so much cheaper and closer to home.

Goodluck guys!

Like alwaysaangel, I've been accepted off the waitlist to my state school. In the interest of minimizing my debt and the portion of my life spent in commuting, I've chosen State Med over GW. It was a very tough decision to make and I'm sorry I won't get to meet in person all the cool folks on the GW c/o 2011 list.

Congrats, everyone, and good luck in your med school adventures!:luck:

Congrats to both of you. GWU"s loss is your new school's gain. Thanks alwaysangel for your help.

Anyone know when we will receive more information about orientation or other info from GW? Has a date been set for the white coat ceremony?

Anyone know when we will receive more information about orientation or other info from GW? Has a date been set for the white coat ceremony?

Got an email today asking me to update my AMCAS preferred mailing address since they will be sending out orientation materials shortly - so i am expecting them to arrive sometime next week. Orientation starts on August 20th and classes on August 27th. :luck:

i am pretty sure they are going to be sending the packets out around the first week in july, so you guys will get them soon.

Hi guys. What interested you in GW? Was it the city mostly or the specific program?

if u wouldnt mind explanding about it.
what about the program specifically did u like? ...and what about the city?

...like I know GW is in DC but does it really matter where your med school is located as long their program is good?

if u wouldnt mind explanding about it.
what about the program specifically did u like? ...and what about the city?

...like I know GW is in DC but does it really matter where your med school is located as long their program is good?

if you are trying to find something to write for the short little secondary essay... there's plenty about the school to be found on the website, and i'm sure there's plenty you can find out about washington, dc on the internet, talking to friends, etc. good luck.

I have a question for all the GW acceptees:

I know a resident at Mayo Clinic, he is a graduate of GW. He told me at supper last night that on his first day of med school at GW the entire class had to strip!! The guys had to leave only their underwear on, and the gals left on only bras and panties. He told me that they did this so that they would know what the patients felt like when physicians ordered them to strip. EEEK! I am not going to GW, but wanted to know if you all heard about this and if it's true.:scared:

Hi everyone,

I just got off the waitlist on Friday and am so excited to be starting at GW this fall!

Now I just have to find a place to live...

Congrats Flip Flops! and I highly doubt we have to strip, though it does sound like fun.

no dollar bills flying around gw...

but you guys will see each other with your shirts off during physical diagnosis. if you're the skinny guy in your group, you'll be the patient most of the time - i can tell you from experience! they tell the girls to wear sports bras under their clothes, but in my group, at least, girls never had to take their shirts off. it's not a big deal though. i'd rather be the patient for the abdominal exam versus having 8 other people trying to stick the otoscope in my ear or nose (not a fun time when no one has any clue how far to stick the scope into your ear...)

You guys are so funny....I really doubt we'll have to strip - even though that sounds like a fun introduction to our class - just kidding :laugh:

I have a question for all the GW acceptees:

I know a resident at Mayo Clinic, he is a graduate of GW. He told me at supper last night that on his first day of med school at GW the entire class had to strip!! The guys had to leave only their underwear on, and the gals left on only bras and panties. He told me that they did this so that they would know what the patients felt like when physicians ordered them to strip. EEEK! I am not going to GW, but wanted to know if you all heard about this and if it's true.:scared:

Yes it's true! Actually, it was more of a strip tease. We could strip to our choice of the theme from ER or Scrubs.

...j/k. :D

You guys are so funny....I really doubt we'll have to strip - even though that sounds like a fun introduction to our class - just kidding :laugh:

Maybe you won't have to, but that's just what this resident at Mayo said happened when he went there...I guess you'll have to wait and see.

Mayo in Arizona? Is he a new resident, like he just graduated from GW?

Mayo in Arizona? Is he a new resident, like he just graduated from GW?

No, Rochester. He graduated five years ago I think. He is in his FIFTH year of residency, with two years left: Cardiothoracic surgery.

Anyone still looking for housing? We have a bedroom opening up around August 1st, walking distance to the Orange line in VA. I'm a fourth year. (i love saying that)

And no there is no stripping on the first day, although I might not have minded, there are some hotties in my class.

Congrats to those starting and good luck to those applying! GW is the most fun ever. I think I said that before.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

hi everyone--
I got off the waitlist last week!! I am so excited to start. I just hope I get everything I need in time (housing, loans....etc)
-Radbone

hi everyone--
I got off the waitlist last week!! I am so excited to start. I just hope I get everything I need in time (housing, loans....etc)
-Radbone

Congrats! :thumbup:

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Hey guys,

Does GW have a computer recommendation? Do most students bring their laptops to class or no?

Thanks!

Large orientation packet arrived in mail today with alot of good information. Whomever put it together did a good job and I particularly like the students guide to orientation.

Large orientation packet arrived in mail today with alot of good information. Whomever put it together did a good job and I particularly like the students guide to orientation.

Oh yeah, that guide is really great! I am super excited for all the activities during orientation and mostly to meet all of you...as i am browsing through that packet, this whole med school thing is becoming so real! :p

I received my packet in the mail too!!!! Exciting!!!! I have a few questions to ask the upperclassmen.....

1.) Do we have to wait 2 weeks after school starts to receive our Financial
Aid Checks? I'm confused about this process.

2.) Do we really need to wait to buy books....... even for GROSS???