Official: Harvard 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sundarban1 said:
Cell bio, human phys most likely will be the most helpful on the MCAT.

Thanks for your input Sundarban1. Have you taken those courses already?
Also, have you chosen your spring courses yet?

Members don't see this ad.

shkmiami said:
Thanks for your input Sundarban1. Have you taken those courses already?
Also, have you chosen your spring courses yet?

I've taken those courses, however not at HES. Most people that browse this board will only be taking the 4 required pre-reqs. I do remember someone talking about upper level courses at HES in an older thread, possibly the HES 2004 thread. You may want to do a search and take a look.

Does taking something other than the typical Chem/Bio/Ochem/Physics hurt your chances at getting sponsorship? I don't want to spend multiple years in Boston and will be slightly above the 3.2 cutoff to need 24 credits from them so I would plan on taking Ochem/Bio and 1 more elective each semester or take 2 electives the summer afer.

Sound like a good plan or will I get there and find out differently?

Members don't see this ad :)
letsrun4it said:
Does taking something other than the typical Chem/Bio/Ochem/Physics hurt your chances at getting sponsorship?

No, unless you take less than the required amount of credits or get less than a B in those courses. If you have gotten less than a B previoulsy in any other pre req they will also require a 30+ MCAT for sponsorship although it does not explicitly say so on the website.

One other thing to note is that summer tuition is about 3x as much as it is during the regular semester. Just something to think about before you plan on taking multiple summer courses here.

Does any one have old orgo exams from HES? Apparently, they are useful study aids.

Sundarban1 said:
No, unless you take less than the required amount of credits or get less than a B in those courses. If you have gotten less than a B previoulsy in any other pre req they will also require a 30+ MCAT for sponsorship although it does not explicitly say so on the website.

One other thing to note is that summer tuition is about 3x as much as it is during the regular semester. Just something to think about before you plan on taking multiple summer courses here.

Thanks for the info about the 30+ MCAT, do you know if that includes calc thats my 1 C prereq.

philman said:
Does any one have old orgo exams from HES? Apparently, they are useful study aids.

They are posted on the website for the class. Just go to the course listing on the HES website and you will see a link to the website for Orgo.

letsrun4it said:
Thanks for the info about the 30+ MCAT, do you know if that includes calc thats my 1 C prereq.

I'm not sure, you should call Dr. Fixsen or Peterson. Their info is listed on the website. They will be able to give you those details. I know it goes for bio, chem, etc.

Sundarban1 said:
I'm not sure, you should call Dr. Fixsen or Peterson. Their info is listed on the website. They will be able to give you those details. I know it goes for bio, chem, etc.

Thanks I'll call and ask but I'll probably retake it before showing up there in case I apply to DO schools.

Have you guys had your required office consultation per semester yet? How does that work? Over the phone or face to face? What do you talk about and how long does each consultation last? This is my first semester so it would be great if someone could clue me in on what to expect.

shkmiami said:
Have you guys had your required office consultation per semester yet? How does that work? Over the phone or face to face? What do you talk about and how long does each consultation last? This is my first semester so it would be great if someone could clue me in on what to expect.

It's not actually a requirement, Dr. Fixsen said he puts that in so that when it comes time to write the composite letter he actually knows the students. He basically wants to ensure he gets to know you a bit, it's not hard and fast that you have to show up and speak with him every semester.

jamesrd said:
It's not actually a requirement, Dr. Fixsen said he puts that in so that when it comes time to write the composite letter he actually knows the students. He basically wants to ensure he gets to know you a bit, it's not hard and fast that you have to show up and speak with him every semester.

Thanks, jamesrd for clearing things up.

Anyone taken summer general chemistry? I took AP chem in high school and passed and could take chem 101 in the spring to refresh before coming. It would be huge to get that out of the way all at once like that.

Basically what I want to know is... is it impossible (to get an A)?

Members don't see this ad :)
That 3rd chem exam was a nightmare...a 68 avg? Thats horrible, what was israel thinking? I studied my ass off for a C, that has never happened to me before in my entire life....now I need a 90 on the final to get an A-, can it be done, probably...but given the difficulty of the past exams, I'll probably end up with a B plus

I seem to be coasting through physics with the same effort that I put in chem, anyone else notice this? That israel just seems to be pulling stuff out of his ass on the tests? Not to mention how little partial credit they give..

I have scoured the 2004 and 2005 threads and am curious how realistic it is to skip the glide year if you do the HCP program. What kind of schedule would you suggest (like: first year chem and phys, second bio and orgo? etc)and when would you be prepared for the MCAT (april 2nd year?), assuming no previous science experience?

Are most of you who are in the program expecting to have a year off between HCP and medschool? Do most of you work during the program? I have this current semester to prepare for the program and am enrolled in pre-calculus and auditing a chemistry class...looking back now, what would you suggest I at least familiarize myself with before beginning in 06?

20 questions is over...I'm sure I'll be back for more. Thanks for your time.

Not sure what the heart of your question is referring to. However I will say that there is really no way to avoid the glide year. There is a year between the time you apply and the time you start med school, that is just the way it goes.

You are correct in that most people do chem/physics year one and bio/orgo year two while taking the MCAT in April of year 2. You do not need to have had completed the Spring semester to take the MCAT if that is your question.

Most of the people I know work at least part time. I work full time but I only need 1 class a semester. There are not many people who work full time and take 2 classes. Most people either work part time or not at all.

dcb154 said:
I have scoured the 2004 and 2005 threads and am curious how realistic it is to skip the glide year if you do the HCP program. What kind of schedule would you suggest (like: first year chem and phys, second bio and orgo? etc)and when would you be prepared for the MCAT (april 2nd year?), assuming no previous science experience?

Are most of you who are in the program expecting to have a year off between HCP and medschool? Do most of you work during the program? I have this current semester to prepare for the program and am enrolled in pre-calculus and auditing a chemistry class...looking back now, what would you suggest I at least familiarize myself with before beginning in 06?

20 questions is over...I'm sure I'll be back for more. Thanks for your time.

I believe he/she is referring to taking all of your pre-req classes in one year and taking the MCAT, and then applying your first Spring. Then take your remaining classes for a second year to finish (although no pre-reqs b/c you can't apply w/out them) - seems like a lot of work for not that much of an advantage.

For current HES people - is there any way for us to get university housing or meal plans?

Maxprime said:
For current HES people - is there any way for us to get university housing or meal plans?
no

BananRama said:
That 3rd chem exam was a nightmare...a 68 avg? Thats horrible, what was israel thinking? I studied my ass off for a C, that has never happened to me before in my entire life....now I need a 90 on the final to get an A-, can it be done, probably...but given the difficulty of the past exams, I'll probably end up with a B plus

I seem to be coasting through physics with the same effort that I put in chem, anyone else notice this? That israel just seems to be pulling stuff out of his ass on the tests? Not to mention how little partial credit they give..

yeah i was pissed about that too, considering i knew this material better than the previous two exams yet scored lower, most people have close to perfect hw/lab, so say 24% there, plus im averaging about an 80 on mids, so anything over an 80 on the final puts me into plan B, i need around an 83 for an A-, but im not very hopeful, they said in the beginning if you can ace the logan notes youll have an A, well i ace the logan notes and here i am, generally whatever is the hardest problem from PS/review/LN/PE is most similar to exam questions, i hope reviewing the first three mids will be a great help, theres no curve yet the cutoffs are at their discretion, that means a curve for those who are failing, but not pushing already B students into A territory, i hope they at least post the cutoffs

israel made a big deal out of how he only wrote a couple questions on that exam, as it is tf evaluation time, looking back it wasnt that hard, just lengthy and one or two lewis missteps cost you plenty, but they can be brutal with those all or nothing questions, and they seem to have cut down on partial credit with the new anything outside of the box is not graded policy

im going to try volunteering somewhere this summer, maybe longwood, anybody have any suggestions? ill also be studying physics, then take phys/bio next year, hopefully i can handle both, all this is a little beyond my ken

Have any HES students found any good deals/strategies on housing/meals/etc.?

Maxprime said:
Have any HES students found any good deals/strategies on housing/meals/etc.?

Housing starts to open up around April/May when students are leaving. If you are not from the area I suggest starting at craigslist.boston.com for roommates and housing when time comes. Good deals on meals? There are tons of places to eat or buy food if that's what you mean. You are not going to have any of the luxuries of Harvard college students if that is what you're looking for. The most you will get is an ID card if you are eligible for the degree program and health insurance if you take a full course load in the degree program. Otherwise, you live like an adult.

Whats up with Rueckner putting everyone through grade suspense?

Jays2cool4u :cool:

Sundarban1 said:
Housing starts to open up around April/May when students are leaving. If you are not from the area I suggest starting at craigslist.boston.com for roommates and housing when time comes. Good deals on meals? There are tons of places to eat or buy food if that's what you mean. You are not going to have any of the luxuries of Harvard college students if that is what you're looking for. The most you will get is an ID card if you are eligible for the degree program and health insurance if you take a full course load in the degree program. Otherwise, you live like an adult.

Yeah, craigslist is the best way to go. Through craigslist, I just rented an apt one block away from the Science Center for $625, no roommates with shared floor bathroom and kitchen. I found you don't have to settle for commutes from Watertown, Arlington, or Somerville. There are still places to be found right near campus.
There are tons of interesting places to eat at like Sundarban said, but I found the grocery stores to be on the ghetto side. (ie FoodMaster)
By the way, have any of you found a club to exercise at or is everyone just going to run along the Charles River?

jays2cool4u said:
Whats up with Rueckner putting everyone through grade suspense?

Jays2cool4u :cool:

Evidently there was someone with a medically related issue who was not able to take the exam with the rest of us so there is a makeup the second week of February. We won't know our grades until then :thumbdown:

Sundarban1 said:
The most you will get is an ID card if you are eligible for the degree program.

And like a lot of us, I can't even get a f#$cking ID card and thus get treated as an intruder in the Science Center after 10 pm by security guards. Then they wouldn't even let me into the Cabot library at first .. had to raise a stink to study for finals. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

somebody was telling me that the chem final is 150pts but that we are graded out of 100, so 75pts would be a 75 etc, after that discouraging review last night, it would be nice, but it doesnt seem like that could be true

i wonder what the percent of actual enrolees vs graduates is?

For those that have been waiting...the Physics grades are finally up :cool:

What did he say the cumulative class mean was again? 87%?

omniatlas said:
For those that have been waiting...the Physics grades are finally up :cool:

What did he say the cumulative class mean was again? 87%?

He said the class median for the final exam was an 83.5. He did not reveal measures of central tendency for overall grades.

BobLJ99 said:
He said the class median for the final exam was an 83.5. He did not reveal measures of central tendency for overall grades.

Oh, well. It appears we have a biostatistician among us.
Who knew :rolleyes:

Sundarban1 said:
Oh, well. It appears we have a biostatistician among us.
Who knew :rolleyes:

What did you say Sundarban? I couldn't understand that drivel coming out of your mouth :D .

BobLJ99 said:
What did you say Sundarban? I couldn't understand that drivel coming out of your mouth :D .

That's odd, could be related to your immunodeficiency syndrome, bubble boy. :p

x-linked severe combinded immunodeficiency syndrome??

Not in my medical school!

Sundarban1 said:
That's odd, could be related to your immunodeficiency syndrome, bubble boy. :p

x-linked severe combinded immunodeficiency syndrome??

Not in my medical school!

LOL. Thanks for your two cents Mr. leading authority on the human immune system.

BobLJ99 said:
LOL. Thanks for your two cents Mr. leading authority on the human immune system.

Among many things..

I just found out I was accepted to HES/HCP for Fall 2006, I'm excited, though waiting to hear about the other programs I applied to. Can you tell me more about the program? Is it difficult to get a good GPA in gen chem, org chem & physics? I already took Gen Bio & did pretty well. How difficult are the courses & professors? Is getting a slightly lower GPA at HES regarded as highly as getting a higher GPA at a lesser-known school? When does a student apply for sponsorship? Has anyone done the online courses, and if so, how are they? Please email me at [email protected] if you have any advice.

Thank you

Sincerely,
Beth

shkmiami said:
Has everyone decided what to take in the spring semester? I am having trouble deciding and would greatly appreciate any input based on experience as to which classes are worthwhile taking (maybe even easy) or should be avoided because they are flat out impossible. I have completed my prereqs by the way. I am looking to choose from seven courses:

Biochemistry II
Cell Biology: Eukaryotic Experimental Models
Principles and Techniques of Molecular Biology
Introduction to Genomics
Cellular Engineering
Topics in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Human Physiology II

I am planning to take at least three classes, maybe four, and the Kaplan MCAT prep course full-time with no work commitments whatsoever. I am emboldened to take on this workload because of my relative success this fall semester juggling three courses (A's in two, a B+ in the other) while working Monday thru Saturday 7:30-5:30 in order to save up $$ for the spring.