Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I'm down for a meetup on Saturday.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, the meetup will be at Miracle of Science Bar and Grill at 6pm on Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Sorry I've been extremely busy and unable to be reached! Finally moved to Cambridge last week and have been getting settled.

Meet-up is still on. See you guys Saturday at 6:00 pm! The Miracle of Science is in Central Square. I'll be there about 5:30 to get us a spot cleared up.

Sounds great. I'll most likely make it out there saturday night. Is there gonna be a way to know which group of people we're looking for? Or are we gonna do it blind date style?

Also what is this miracle of science place? Are we going on a field trip to the museum or is it some kind of coincidence? Haha looking forward to meeting you all.

Edit: saturday, not friday.

Last edited:
Sounds great. I'll most likely make it out there saturday night. Is there gonna be a way to know which group of people we're looking for? Or are we gonna do it blind date style?

Also what is this miracle of science place? Are we going on a field trip to the museum or is it some kind of coincidence? Haha looking forward to meeting you all.

Edit: saturday, not friday.

haha I was thinking the same thing, hopefully I don't end up at the wrong table

haha I was thinking the same thing, hopefully I don't end up at the wrong table

Let me give you some more information on the Meet N' Greet! I'm not too worried about keeping it private anymore. There are around 15 people who expressed interest. I went by the Miracle of Science last night and it is a fun local bar, a little tiny, but nice. If we decide we are too numerous (wasn't counting on getting so many replies!) we can move next door to their sister bar.

321 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139
Almost halfway between Central Square and Kendall

Directions: Take the red line to Central Square. Exit to the street, at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Prospect. Go southeast on Massachusetts Avenue towards MIT. Miracle of Science is across the street from All Asia and at the base of the fork between State St. and Mass Ave.

Time: 6:00. I will be there at 5:30 with a little table sign that reads either HCP or HES. Look for the tall blonde drinking a beer. Do you guys want name tags? Is that going too far? LOL.

See you kids then!

Does anyone have a physics, giambattista 2nd ed. book for sale? i just stopped by the Coop today and the publisher, according to one of the workers there, printed the books but just didn't deliver it to the Coop yet. So the section on the shelf for physics e-1a is empty.
if anyone is selling one i'll buy it from you this weekend.

I'm also looking to buy the solutions manuals for physics 2nd edition and the general chemistry book.

Last edited:
i have a brand new printer, its an Epson Stylux NX420 for sale if anyone is interested, brand new in box, got it with my mac. $60 picked up. Good for anyone who just moved here, PM me.

Sorry I won't be able to make it on Saturday - Stuck at my parents' place in NYC trying to wait out the storm. Have a great time though!

Look forward to meeting you all next week :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, I wonder - even with the heavy rain and thunderstorms, should we meet up? The weather's not looking too hot for the rest of the weekend. We'll have to wait and see...

I'm on the same page...a little worried about the impending hurricane! I know it's not supposed to get really bad until the middle of the night, but I might play it safe and stay in tonight. Bummer though! Was looking forward to meeting everyone before class starts.

Let me give you some more information on the Meet N' Greet! I'm not too worried about keeping it private anymore. There are around 15 people who expressed interest. I went by the Miracle of Science last night and it is a fun local bar, a little tiny, but nice. If we decide we are too numerous (wasn't counting on getting so many replies!) we can move next door to their sister bar.

321 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139
Almost halfway between Central Square and Kendall

Directions: Take the red line to Central Square. Exit to the street, at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Prospect. Go southeast on Massachusetts Avenue towards MIT. Miracle of Science is across the street from All Asia and at the base of the fork between State St. and Mass Ave.

Time: 6:00. I will be there at 5:30 with a little table sign that reads either HCP or HES. Look for the tall blonde drinking a beer. Do you guys want name tags? Is that going too far? LOL.

See you kids then!

Tall blonde? alcohol?

I wish I were there. :cool:

Ugh, how does everyone feel about moving the Meet n' Greet to next Friday night? Sounds like the hurricane will be keeping a lot of people inside. Plus the Miracle of Science is 5 blocks from Central - would stink to get stuck. I moved from the south to get away from this kind of weather.

Last edited:
Okay, looking at the radar, let's move the Meet n' Greet to Friday September 2, 2011 at 6:00 pm. Will send out emails to everyone. Location TBA. So very sorry for the late notice!

MEET N' GREET IS CANCELLED!

Last edited:
Alright, next friday it's on. For all you wussies out there!! :)

According to the tentative syllabus Prof. Tucci emailed out to the gen. chemers we have review sessions on fridays from 5-6:30. Do you think we'll have a review session for the first week? I'd say that we do.

I was supposed to fly in today from California but my flight got cancelled due to the weather. The worst part is that they couldn't rebook me until next week.... so I'm missing the first week of class!!!

Anyone else having the same problem??? :(

I was supposed to fly in today from California but my flight got cancelled due to the weather. The worst part is that they couldn't rebook me until next week.... so I'm missing the first week of class!!!

Anyone else having the same problem??? :(

Be sure to tell the profs from each class so they don't drop you from the course

Alright, next friday it's on. For all you wussies out there!! :)

According to the tentative syllabus Prof. Tucci emailed out to the gen. chemers we have review sessions on fridays from 5-6:30. Do you think we'll have a review session for the first week? I'd say that we do.

I would guess that we wouldn't have a review session the first week considering it's a holiday weekend... (at least I hope not, bc I made plans out of town!)

Does anyone know how we find out what room # we're in?? I'm taking bios E-1a and I know it's in the Science Center but not sure what room!

I would guess that we wouldn't have a review session the first week considering it's a holiday weekend... (at least I hope not, bc I made plans out of town!)

They probably will-- but they also do a really good job of filming lecture and review sessions and having them available soon after, so if you miss it in person, it will probably be available online.

If there is a review session on Friday, we'll move it to 7:00 no worries. I'm sure the campus will be buzzing and we'll make it somewhere near the science center. Also, HEPS just created a mixer on Thursday night which we could also join. If you aren't a member of their Facebook page, I highly suggest doing so. I think they have these mixers every week (or every other week).

Good luck this week everyone and see you in class tomorrow.

Edit: Physics Lecture slides now available on the course website. The other outdated / broken links seem to have been fixed as well.

Last edited:
What's the name of the group on facebook?

If there is a review session on Friday, we'll move it to 7:00 no worries. I'm sure the campus will be buzzing and we'll make it somewhere near the science center. Also, HEPS just created a mixer on Thursday night which we could also join. If you aren't a member of their Facebook page, I highly suggest doing so. I think they have these mixers every week (or every other week).

Good luck this week everyone and see you in class tomorrow.

So there is a HES mixer tonight. Why don't we just attend as a part of student doc? Assimilate. You know you want to.

Are we still doing the Meet and Greet tomorrow?

Drmsk had a better idea. Last night was a bit crowded and overwhelming. I think the idea of meeting after class on Tuesday night somewhere in Harvard Square would be even better. People will be on campus and it won't be as wild as a Friday night.

Any ideas?

Are we still doing the Meet and Greet tomorrow?

I met a few SDNers at the pre health society get together after class last night, were you there?

I don't know if anything's going on tonight but i'm probably gonna be staying in to do the chem prelab for tomorrow's lab. Pre-med life baby, gotta love it.

I couldn't go to the mixer last night, but I'm willing to meet up after the review tonight. Or we could even meet up briefly before the review. If not, Tuesday's fine too.

Let me know if you're free. I'd love to meet you all!

I also couldn't make it to the mixer last night. Would also love to meet everyone after Tuesday's class.

Vikram and I are headed to the miracle of science bar tonight. Were almost there. Give me a call if you want to meet up.

Last edited:
Do any of you still wanna go somewhere after class on Tuesday? I'm up for it.

I'm also up for meeting on Tues night. Just can't stay out too late--9 am Chem section / lab on Wed morning!

Tuesday Night Mixer! After class, let's meet outside the Science Center by the fountain. I say we go to John Harvard's at 33 Dunster in Harvard Square. Nice bar, aptly named, and big enough not to be swarmed by college kids.

John Harvard's
9:00 pm - ??
33 Dunster Street in Harvard Square

Thoughts?

Sounds like a plan, only if we get name tags though.

I'm getting bedazzled by the physics textbook at the moment.. so I'm hoping that others will go out tonight after lecture and we can commiserate for one night and maybe have what alcoholics call a "moment of clarity" and become one with our inner Einstein!!
Drinking is optional. Cya after class!

Sweet mercy, that was awesome! We will definitely be having some midterm drink time as well as finals drinks. It was so nice to finally meet everyone! Serious Southern style; can't wait to plug and chug with yall for two years. :)

Does anyone plan on doing the primal scream in December?

Big ups to the lone star state for the southern hospitality. They really do raise them better down south (ie south of Virginia).

It was good meeting you all. We all come from different backgrounds, majors etc. Have different life experiences and different reasons for choosing to pursue this field but we can all come together as we go on this journey.

Looking forward to the next get together.

But Virginia is the South too!

I echo smiley's sentiments. It was great meeting everyone, and I look forward to getting to know you all better throughout the next couple of years.

Also, thanks to jennet for organizing (as usual) :)

To people who are currently enrolled in this program- how competitive is acceptance? Would a 3.5 GPA at a top-20 liberal arts school be competitive? I recently graduated and am taking Chem I and Bio I at a local state university and plan on applying to post-bac programs for the spring 2012 semester. I have a significant amount of research experience under my belt (in ecology and in the medical field) and will be co-authoring a health coaching study for type II diabetes patients during this year. I also have about 30 hours of shadowing under my belt as well with various physicians.

Any advice or comments? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also- can you apply for the Spring semester or do they only accept fall admissions?

To people who are currently enrolled in this program- how competitive is acceptance? Would a 3.5 GPA at a top-20 liberal arts school be competitive? I recently graduated and am taking Chem I and Bio I at a local state university and plan on applying to post-bac programs for the spring 2012 semester. I have a significant amount of research experience under my belt (in ecology and in the medical field) and will be co-authoring a health coaching study for type II diabetes patients during this year. I also have about 30 hours of shadowing under my belt as well with various physicians.

Any advice or comments? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's not hard to get in. Not at all. Send an application.

It's just hard to get through the program. That's where they weed people out.