Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There IS crazy grade inflation going on at most universities. Which is why when only 10% of HES graduates of the ALB program get over 3.3, Harvard Extension's ALB seems to be a very bad idea for students aiming for medical school.

You seemed to have made up your mind that Harvard Extension is not the right program for you. Why not choose another program? Most folks in this thread, if not all of them, are taking the HES night classes, not thru the ALB program. I doubt very many people can give you info on the ALB program.

For the night science classes at HES, I'm confident that many HCP sponsored students get into medical school. But Physics and Organic Chem is the dealbreaker for many students, regardless of the school you go to.

You have posted about this 3 times already: twice with username "nurture" and once as "oblong". Why not stick to "oblong" instead of creating another account just to ask the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

You seemed to have made up your mind that Harvard Extension is not the right program for you. Why not choose another program? Most folks in this thread, if not all of them, are taking the HES night classes, not thru the ALB program. I doubt very many people can give you info on the ALB program.

For the night science classes at HES, I'm confident that many HCP sponsored students get into medical school. But Physics and Organic Chem is the dealbreaker for many students, regardless of the school you go to.

You have posted about this 3 times already: twice with username "nurture" and once as "oblong". Why not stick to "oblong" instead of creating another account just to ask the same thing?

I think you are being a little hasty here, making inferences and jumping to the wrong conclusions.

Not to mention the fact that I haven't made up my "mind that Harvard Extension is not the right program" for me. I am very much open to the ABL program. I am VERY interested in the ALB program - just trying to find out if grade deflation at ALB will hurt my chances of medical school.

Here is the impression I get - The people who run the ALB seem to have a chip on their shoulder because it is perceived as not a real Harvard degree, so they needlessly make the ALB harder. As a result, student GPA's take a dive down, and ALB students don't make it into medical schools.

I am not worried about Organic Chemistry or Physics like most of you HCP students. Rather I am worried about French-I, which is so brutal that ALB students take French-II at HES but take French-I at some other college. Or about courses like Microecon. Because courses like those are the ones that take ALB GPA's closer to a 3.0. And I am waiting to hear from students who know about such ALB courses.

I think you are being a little hasty here, making inferences and jumping to the wrong conclusions.

Not to mention the fact that I haven't made up my "mind that Harvard Extension is not the right program" for me. I am very much open to the ABL program. I am VERY interested in the ALB program - just trying to find out if grade deflation at ALB will hurt my chances of medical school.

Here is the impression I get - The people who run the ALB seem to have a chip on their shoulder because it is perceived as not a real Harvard degree, so they needlessly make the ALB harder. As a result, student GPA's take a dive down, and ALB students don't make it into medical schools.

I am not worried about Organic Chemistry or Physics like most of you HCP students. Rather I am worried about French-I, which is so brutal that ALB students take French-II at HES but take French-I at some other college. Or about courses like Microecon. Because courses like those are the ones that take ALB GPA's closer to a 3.0. And I am waiting to hear from students who know about such ALB courses.

Perhaps I did jump to a conclusion, but only because the posts that have come up here questioning HES's grading has come from you. That's a fair question, but I doubt you'll receive different answers than what's already been said in those threads. Being the postbacc forum, you're probably not going to get much info about the ALB bachelor's route.

Best of luck though. Hope you find the advice you need. Perhaps post in the same forum where you got your source info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck in the next three weeks everyone. Hopefully we'll all come out alive! :thumbup:

Good luck in the next three weeks everyone. Hopefully we'll all come out alive! :thumbup:

2 bio exams, psych project + exam, orgo final exam. Getting shot in the face might be a more pleasant experience.

I'm hoping the practically back to back bio exams are a blessing in disguise when it comes time to study for the final.

Hi All,
For those of you working full time and volunteering, how many HES classes would you recommend taking per semester? Trying to determine what's manageable given the workload...
Thanks for your input!

I'm at my research gig 20+ hours a week, working on securing 1 day/week volunteering. This and my two classes has me in a pretty comfortable place. I'm going to up it to three classes next semester, but I'll also have much more freedom with my research (since I'm all trained up now and free to make my own schedule)

My recommendation - dive into it slowly. Some classes can be very difficult, especially if you're not a "natural" at it. I'm in Bio and Physics Currently. Both have about 1-2 hours of reading a week (if you actually read/highlight/comprehend). Bio is 2 hours of lecture on M/W. Physics is 3 hours of lecture and 1 hour of section. Physics has weekly problem sets that can take anywhere from 1 - 4 or 5 hours depending on how well you've grasped that module. Tests are long and hard. Everything in Bio is fair game and Physics demands mastery of the concepts covered.

I feel like it's very easy to hit a post-bacc firing on too many cylinders. Remember, your priority is getting As in every class you take. Do not let your GPA suffer because you've tried to do too much.

To answer your question more directly: if it's been a while since you've been in school I would start with one class. If it hasn't been too long, 2 is good. I strongly recommend against enrolling in anything more your first semester.

Last edited:
Hi All,
For those of you working full time and volunteering, how many HES classes would you recommend taking per semester? Trying to determine what's manageable given the workload...
Thanks for your input!

I work full time 40 hours, in the beginnings of volunteering for 3 hours once a week, and am taking Physics and Chemistry. Let me break down my week for you:

Monday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 6:00 - 7:00 pm Physics Section; *Four Physics labs during the semester every 3 weeks from 8:00 - 11:00 pm
Tuesday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 6:00 - 9:00 pm Physics Class
Wednesday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 6:30 - 7:30 pm Chemistry Section; 7:30 - 10:00 pm Chemistry Lab
Thursday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 6:00 - 9:00 pm Chemistry Class
Friday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 5:00 - 6:30 pm Chemistry Review
Saturday: 1:00 - 3:00 pm Volunteering
Sunday: 6:00 - 8:00 pm Tutoring; 8:00 - 10:00 pm Board Meeting for volunteer group

This schedule varies for different people, some who have lab on Saturdays and also for those studying for the MCAT. As a general rule, the two classes are doable once you understand the workload, but I agree about starting slowly. Chemistry usually requires about 3 hours a week for reading and homework, while Physics takes well over that for problem sets. Expect to spend entire weekends studying for tests if you are working full time.

Then again, it is all about time management!

Does anyone have a good recommendation for either an online or evening class in Calculus for Life Sciences preferably over winter or summer session? I've yet to complete this and have decided to take I, II, and Statistics based on future school preference. Right now, UMASS is offering a winter session online and BU Met offers and evening class in the Spring.

Thoughts? Experiences? They are all a little expensive compared to the Extension, but I can bite the bullet here. The Extension school Calculus courses are on Thursday nights and totally incompatible with my schedule.

Thanks!

Anyone in Bio feeling overwhelmed by this exam? My "review" sheet is 50 typed/bulleted pages long, and I still am missing specifics that were tested on the practice exam.

I know, whine whine whine complain complain complain.

I work full time 40 hours, in the beginnings of volunteering for 3 hours once a week, and am taking Physics and Chemistry. Let me break down my week for you:
Monday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 6:00 - 7:00 pm Physics Section; *Four Physics labs during the semester every 3 weeks from 8:00 - 11:00 pm
Tuesday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 6:00 - 9:00 pm Physics Class
Wednesday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 6:30 - 7:30 pm Chemistry Section; 7:30 - 10:00 pm Chemistry Lab
Thursday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 6:00 - 9:00 pm Chemistry Class
Friday: 9 - 5:00 pm Work; 5:00 - 6:30 pm Chemistry Review
Saturday: 1:00 - 3:00 pm Volunteering
Sunday: 6:00 - 8:00 pm Tutoring; 8:00 - 10:00 pm Board Meeting for volunteer group

This schedule varies for different people, some who have lab on Saturdays and also for those studying for the MCAT. As a general rule, the two classes are doable once you understand the workload, but I agree about starting slowly. Chemistry usually requires about 3 hours a week for reading and homework, while Physics takes well over that for problem sets. Expect to spend entire weekends studying for tests if you are working full time.

Then again, it is all about time management!

Thanks for your input! I'm trying to decide whether to take bio II and inorganic chem II in the spring or to just start with bio. I took the first section of each back in 2005/2006 while an undergrad, so i'm a little rusty. The alternative would be to take chem II and physics II the following spring while studying for the MCAT and working. I'm not sure which would be better; potentially overwhelming myself the first semester or trying to balance studying for the MCAT, doing well in class and working...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone in Bio feeling overwhelmed by this exam? My "review" sheet is 50 typed/bulleted pages long, and I still am missing specifics that were tested on the practice exam.

I know, whine whine whine complain complain complain.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I think it has to do with not getting around to looking at bio until today.

I figure I'll look through the lecture slides, then do the "practice problems" and the practice exam. After that I'll just go through as much of the material again to shore up any gaps in knowledge. I suspect there will be many.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I think it has to do with not getting around to looking at bio until today.

I figure I'll look through the lecture slides, then do the "practice problems" and the practice exam. After that I'll just go through as much of the material again to shore up any gaps in knowledge. I suspect there will be many.

Practice test and practice problems were fair, a few tricky ones, but nothing too terrible.

If you get up to question 22/23 on the practice exam and can answer this for me I'll be glad to repay the favor.

WT coding strand (I'm focusing just on the mutation) - AAT
Mutant coding strand - AAG

WT template strand - TTA
Mutant template strand - TTC

WT RNA - AAU - codes for asn
Mutant RNA - AAG - codes for lys

So a different amino acid is produced so therefore a different polypeptide. Neither of these is a start or stop codon though - why does the answer key mention translation starting out of frame? I was under the assumption that either 1 or 2 nucleotides would need to be inserted/deleted in order for a frameshift mutation. . .
Where am I screwing up? Why is this a frameshift, and why does the answer for #23 mention a frameshift when at appears that it is simply an amino acid "swap"?

Thanks for your input! I'm trying to decide whether to take bio II and inorganic chem II in the spring or to just start with bio. I took the first section of each back in 2005/2006 while an undergrad, so i'm a little rusty. The alternative would be to take chem II and physics II the following spring while studying for the MCAT and working. I'm not sure which would be better; potentially overwhelming myself the first semester or trying to balance studying for the MCAT, doing well in class and working...

DOING WELL IN CLASSES. Doing well, doing well, doing well. I cannot stress this enough. Listen, it is only 4 months and if you think you can handle another class after the first semester then by all means, take the class in the spring. You need to make sure you can handle the work load. Personally, I put myself through undergrad by working full time so I'm used to 12 hour days but plenty of people cannot take on this much. I'm consistently asked, "How do you do it?" It isn't for everyone. Just give yourself the assurance that for 4 months, you can figure it out. I'm considering taking another class in Spring, but you also need to be volunteering and participating in student organizations. Take a serious look at your schedule and make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. Better to be safe than sorry especially where your GPA is concerned.

Hi,

Hopefully this isn't too late to help - but I think this is because you're supposed to start reading at the first start codon, AUG. The way you've been looking at it, you're counting by 3's from the very first letter on the left, but the DNA doesn't start getting transcribed until the first AUG mRNA. If you work backwards, AUG in the mRNA = ATG in the DNA. So, this mutation actually disrupts ATG, so it disrupts the start codon, so the RNA polymerase will keep moving down the DNA until it hits the second AUG, which is in a different frame. Does that make sense? I looked at that one for a million years, too... these questions are so tricky.

-Vanessa

Practice test and practice problems were fair, a few tricky ones, but nothing too terrible.

If you get up to question 22/23 on the practice exam and can answer this for me I'll be glad to repay the favor.

WT coding strand (I'm focusing just on the mutation) - AAT
Mutant coding strand - AAG

WT template strand - TTA
Mutant template strand - TTC

WT RNA - AAU - codes for asn
Mutant RNA - AAG - codes for lys

So a different amino acid is produced so therefore a different polypeptide. Neither of these is a start or stop codon though - why does the answer key mention translation starting out of frame? I was under the assumption that either 1 or 2 nucleotides would need to be inserted/deleted in order for a frameshift mutation. . .
Where am I screwing up? Why is this a frameshift, and why does the answer for #23 mention a frameshift when at appears that it is simply an amino acid "swap"?

Last edited:
Appreciate you getting back to me. Took me a while to figure it out too. I was counting in blocks of three from the start as opposed to locating the AUG.

Good luck tonight.

Brand New Biochemistry book used for BioChem at HES. By brand new I mean very lightly used and is in pristine condition. ISBN-13: 978-1429224161 Originally going for $220 plus tax in stores. I'm selling it for only $150. Comes with associated ebook, not a pdf file, but the actual ebook.

Last edited:
I hope everyone's finals are going well.

Hang in there.

Hi everyone,

For people in physics - do you have any idea if/when we can pick up our finals?

In general, does anyone know when grades come out?

Good luck studying!

Hi everyone,

For people in physics - do you have any idea if/when we can pick up our finals?

In general, does anyone know when grades come out?

Good luck studying!

According to Doug, the exams are going to be handed back during the 2nd or the 3rd lecture next semester (yes, almost TWO MONTHS from now ugh). The final class grade will be posted online on/after January 11.

According to Doug, the exams are going to be handed back during the 2nd or the 3rd lecture next semester (yes, almost TWO MONTHS from now ugh). The final class grade will be posted online on/after January 11.

I'm going to pester Doug and my TF until one of them give me my grade haha. It's bound to work.

That said, what'd everyone think of the final? I thought it was extremely fair. Once again though, the multiple choice section is going to be my make or break.

Yeah, I thought it was fair too - I always worry that I've initially made some horrible error in logic and gone off on a wild tangent that will result in getting the whole problem wrong, but I don't think that happened this time - the questions were fairly straightforward. I wonder if they're sticking to the above-90-A, above-85-A-, etc grading scheme or if they'll wind up lowering any of the cutoffs.

Anyone taking bio tonight? I can't wait for this to be over!

Yeah, I thought it was fair too - I always worry that I've initially made some horrible error in logic and gone off on a wild tangent that will result in getting the whole problem wrong, but I don't think that happened this time - the questions were fairly straightforward. I wonder if they're sticking to the above-90-A, above-85-A-, etc grading scheme or if they'll wind up lowering any of the cutoffs.

Anyone taking bio tonight? I can't wait for this to be over!

At the review session Doug mentioned that Prof. Rueckner tends to lower the cutoff a few points, but I think that the 85+ A- and 90+ A is a fair estimate.

Yes to Bio. Studying for this class is like trying to drink out of a fire hose. The worst part is I know all of the concepts like the back of my hand, but I'm just paranoid (and with good reason) that he's going to continue to ask questions that refer to 1 slide out of the 1000+ slides from the semester. Before the second exam I pretty much walked someone through gene expression from transcription to translation, yet I lost 6 points because I failed to memorize a few slides from one lecture.

Rant incoming: it pissed me off that on the second exam I got 6 points off for signaling pathway question. Yes, I didn't give them the attention they deserve, but the way the question was worded you couldn't even use logic of knowledge of biology to reason it out - you either had it memorized or you didn't. I'm worried about the final because I know that this is going to happen again - there are going to be ultra specific questions that you either had to have memorized or you're screwed. Oh well, hopefully I'm better prepared for it this time around.

Guh, I can't wait for this test to be over. I've got a nice bottle of Johnnie Walker Green with my name on it for when I get back.

Good luck tonight. I'm sure we'll do fine.

I know... I'm so sick of memorizing flashcards! It feels like way too much to have to memorize all these details together for the final, but I know there's no way he'll only test us on our understanding of the concepts - some insanely specific detail from lecture 3 will be worth 15 points, or something. And you can never feel safe in this class because it's completely unclear what the cutoffs will be until your grade appears on your transcript.

I also purchased a 12 pack of beer yesterday to drink after the final, but then I drank 3 last night to "help me study." oops. Only a couple more hours!

At the review session Doug mentioned that Prof. Rueckner tends to lower the cutoff a few points, but I think that the 85+ A- and 90+ A is a fair estimate.

Yes to Bio. Studying for this class is like trying to drink out of a fire hose. The worst part is I know all of the concepts like the back of my hand, but I'm just paranoid (and with good reason) that he's going to continue to ask questions that refer to 1 slide out of the 1000+ slides from the semester. Before the second exam I pretty much walked someone through gene expression from transcription to translation, yet I lost 6 points because I failed to memorize a few slides from one lecture.

Rant incoming: it pissed me off that on the second exam I got 6 points off for signaling pathway question. Yes, I didn't give them the attention they deserve, but the way the question was worded you couldn't even use logic of knowledge of biology to reason it out - you either had it memorized or you didn't. I'm worried about the final because I know that this is going to happen again - there are going to be ultra specific questions that you either had to have memorized or you're screwed. Oh well, hopefully I'm better prepared for it this time around.

Guh, I can't wait for this test to be over. I've got a nice bottle of Johnnie Walker Green with my name on it for when I get back.

Good luck tonight. I'm sure we'll do fine.

I know... I'm so sick of memorizing flashcards! It feels like way too much to have to memorize all these details together for the final, but I know there's no way he'll only test us on our understanding of the concepts - some insanely specific detail from lecture 3 will be worth 15 points, or something. And you can never feel safe in this class because it's completely unclear what the cutoffs will be until your grade appears on your transcript.

I also purchased a 12 pack of beer yesterday to drink after the final, but then I drank 3 last night to "help me study." oops. Only a couple more hours!

Ah yes, the old "help me study" drink or 3. Oh well, good luck tonight. T-minus 2 hours

My thoughts: test wasn't bad at all. Best word would be fair. I liked how the wnt question had background information with it.

My thoughts: test wasn't bad at all. Best word would be fair. I liked how the wnt question had background information with it.

The wnt question seemed like a gimme. They told everything you needed to know for the answer. I blanked on the last page, though. I totally forgot how ES cells are harvested.

I got the brown fat one completely wrong and realized it as soon as I left - it had to be hydrogen, right? If you let a bunch of hydrogen into the outer membrane, it'll disrupt the gradient over the inner membrane and there won't be any oxidative phosphorylation. I said oxygen in the inner membrane and I have no idea where I got that from. Oh well! I wonder if we can get the exams back from him at some point.

I got the brown fat one completely wrong and realized it as soon as I left - it had to be hydrogen, right? If you let a bunch of hydrogen into the outer membrane, it'll disrupt the gradient over the inner membrane and there won't be any oxidative phosphorylation. I said oxygen in the inner membrane and I have no idea where I got that from. Oh well! I wonder if we can get the exams back from him at some point.

I said acetyl co-a. If you could directly introduce acetyl-coA into the CAC, there would be no need for oxidative phosphorylation.

I have a feeling that I'm wrong, but I'm hoping that I at least get partial credit for it.

Who knows. . .

I thought I'd feel relieved after finals. Instead, I feel the overwhelming need to get my grades!

Physics final was fair although the elastic collision and density of the person problems were a real thorn in my side. #9 on Chemistry was a big middle finger to anyone that only studied the review. I'm just psyched that I got the formulas and method right. The problem had lots of algebra but was completely doable with enough time. I learned in both tests that time management is key. Without proper time management, I would've been screwed.

I'm honestly going to relax for awhile and jump right back in to reading and doing problems. Both of these courses require more outside work than I anticipated.

All of the links on the chemistry site have been removed so I doubt we're going to be able to see solutions to the final anytime soon and the solutions to the physics final aren't up yet. If anyone finds out if or when they will be available to us can you post here.

I thought both of the physics and chemistry finals were very reasonable and doable. Not saying I did extremely well on them but it was possible to do so.
But that one MC problem on the physics final about which effect describes why the gallon jug bulges out at the bottom was a big slap in the face to people who don't go to lecture because the book doesn't mention it. I'm not even sure it's in our lecture notes....right? When I read that question I thought it was Rueckner's way of saying "You all better come to lecture next semester and pay attention."

All of the links on the chemistry site have been removed so I doubt we're going to be able to see solutions to the final anytime soon and the solutions to the physics final aren't up yet. If anyone finds out if or when they will be available to us can you post here.

I thought both of the physics and chemistry finals were very reasonable and doable. Not saying I did extremely well on them but it was possible to do so.
But that one MC problem on the physics final about which effect describes why the gallon jug bulges out at the bottom was a big slap in the face to people who don't go to lecture because the book doesn't mention it. I'm not even sure it's in our lecture notes....right? When I read that question I thought it was Rueckner's way of saying "You all better come to lecture next semester and pay attention."

Agreed totally. Doable/Fair for those who put in the work. Impossible for those who tried to cruise through. The bulging gallon jug was mentioned verbatim in lecture though - it would be interesting to see how many people got that question correct.

Super anxious to get my grades back thou.

Hello everyone. I plan to attend HES for science courses I can't get at my current school. I am less than a year off from finishing my bachelors here, us moving back to the U.S (military overseas) and beginning this process at HES.

I was hoping those of you that attend could give me some insight into something. I do have a child so during the daytime their are things happening that relate to general parenting, but she will be just starting school at the time so she won't be with me 100% of the time. She'll be in kindergarten. Other than that my daytime duties will be to study.

Do you think it is feasible to work during the day and do the HES night classes? I have good self discipline and work ethic, but I also don't want to burnout and I have been told HES requires a good amount of work to excell. I recently closed down my daycare business here because doing that combined with my currently heavy school load was a bit much and I felt it was taking away from my school. How many of you work full time and do this or work part time?

I am considering either doing work&HES, daytime volunteer/clinical exposure & HES or maybe working part time combined with volunteer in the day and HES at night. I just don't want to bite off too much here and I have a tendency to take on a lot which is not always a good thing.

If it makes any difference, I will already have a very good amount of biology so I don't need to take those. In place of the typical biology courses I would like to take their biochemistry course and their calculus course. I will have 1 class in physics completed so I will still be taking some physics and I will need the chemistry.

Last edited:
For those of you who've registered for next semester or the winter session, what classes are you taking?

January - Psychological Resilience
Spring 2012 - Chemistry E-1b, Phys E-1b, Bios E-16w (Cell Biology)

I'm excited for a second semester with Rueckner - I thoroughly enjoyed the first.

January - Volunteering, Beer Brewing 101, Advanced Laziness
Spring - Chem E-2b, Bios E-1b, Expo E-15

I'm taking Phys E-1b and Chemistry E-1b, and just relaxing and volunteering in January.

Pending acceptance I am planning on enrolling in the HCP at Harvard in the Fall of 2012. I want to be as prepared as possible and since I literally have no science background I had started to watch the lecture videos on the Chemistry E-1a website. Not only did I find them informative but they were really enjoyable to watch. I just noticed that as the semester has ended the substance of the website has pretty much disappeared (http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k82119&pageid=icb.page442386). It obviously costs a lot of money to run these classes and after the fact I'm not surprised everything was taken down but if there's another reason (I can't imagine what it would be but I'm disappointed I can't watch the videos - I would have even paid for them!) please let me know.

Thank you.

January - reading chapters for spring, volunteering, training for the marathon
(I missed the registration period for Beer Brewing 101; sign me up!)
Spring Session - Chem E1-b and Phys E1-b, volunteering, marathon training, trying to have social life, working full time. This schedule would be the reason why I'll be taking on some chapters over break.

Anyone have illustrious plans for summer yet? Applying for internships and research?

Last edited:
January - reading chapters for spring, volunteering at MGH, training for the marathon
Spring Session - Chem E1-b and Phys E1-b, volunteering, marathon training, trying to have social life, working full time. This schedule would be the reason why I'll be taking on some chapters over break.

Anyone have illustrious plans for summer yet? Applying for internships and research?

Summer: 2 classes, research (should be finishing up a publication by then) and other volunteering. Hopefully getting a lil travel in too.

January - reading chapters for spring, volunteering at MGH, training for the marathon

http://www.mrbeer.com/

I've been using this. The first batch of stuff they send you makes a pretty meh pale ale, but after that you can pretty much go crazy making whatever 2 gallon batch you want. Most people avoid using booster and substitute dry malt extract instead. It may not seem like it, but you can actually make some pretty good beer using this.

The non-booster recipes on their website tend to be pretty good and the seasonal recipes are also pretty good.

In any case, I will not be reading ahead for next semester. My brain needs a long deserved rest after the touch-and-go of summer gen chem followed by orgo, bio, and psych last semester. I learned the hard way that even easy classes eat up your time.

Pending acceptance I am planning on enrolling in the HCP at Harvard in the Fall of 2012. I want to be as prepared as possible and since I literally have no science background I had started to watch the lecture videos on the Chemistry E-1a website. Not only did I find them informative but they were really enjoyable to watch. I just noticed that as the semester has ended the substance of the website has pretty much disappeared (http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k82119&pageid=icb.page442386). It obviously costs a lot of money to run these classes and after the fact I'm not surprised everything was taken down but if there's another reason (I can't imagine what it would be but I'm disappointed I can't watch the videos - I would have even paid for them!) please let me know.

Thank you.

In my experience, the class website is disabled immediately after the final. I usually realize that I haven't saved all the various PDFs only after the final and by then, it's too late. The same happens with Orgo. I don't think you can download the videos (I've never used them), but if you can, set an calendar reminder for the last day of lecture to download everything.

Happy New Year! I'll miss you 2011 thread. Looking forward to the 2012 thread. I hope it comes with a prize.

Happy New Years. Here's to another year of hard work.