Official Harvard Extension 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quote directly from Dr. Fixsen:

Letters should definitely be sent directly to us. (The quality of the copies we occasionally receive from Interfolio are often surprisingly poor.)

That makes me so frustrated. People pay good money to Interfolio and Interfolio screws up students' careers by sending out poor quality letters to medical schools!

Members don't see this ad.

That makes me so frustrated. People pay good money to Interfolio and Interfolio screws up students' careers by sending out poor quality letters to medical schools!

That's why it's good to have a solid pre-medical advisor on your side.

Quote directly from Dr. Fixsen:

Letters should definitely be sent directly to us. (The quality of the copies we occasionally receive from Interfolio are often surprisingly poor.)

HCP
51 Brattle Street
Cambridge, MA 02318

Most of our sponsorees provide 5-7 individual letters of recommendation and all letters excerpted are included with the composite letter when sent to AMCAS or individual non-AMCAS schools. Occasionally, we receive more than 7 letters, but at that point, we would likely select the "best" set from the excess. [redacted]. And we would suggest 2 "science" letters, at least one letter from a course here, one letter from undergrad, and then the rest are filled in with the various experiences that set you apart from other applicants.

That makes me not happy. I'm trying to avoid going back to my undergrad for LORs. It's not that I don't think they'll write me a letter. They probably will; but I haven't kept up with them since I graduated.

Also, my last supervisor was Japanese. From Japan. Doesn't know English.

I guess I need to get cracking on a research gig. And start getting chummy with more HES profs.:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I should note that the "one letter from undergrad" was directed in a specific response towards me. It may not be the same case for you. No use getting all worried about it - provide solid letters and all will be well.

That makes me not happy. I'm trying to avoid going back to my undergrad for LORs. It's not that I don't think they'll write me a letter. They probably will; but I haven't kept up with them since I graduated.

Also, my last supervisor was Japanese. From Japan. Doesn't know English.

I guess I need to get cracking on a research gig. And start getting chummy with more HES profs.:love:

Rueckner is fully prepared to write recommendations (he has some guidelines on the website) and I've heard he's very formulaic about it. He bases it on your grades and anything your TF might contribute. I've met with him once already to establish a connection and he's very open to writing LORs.

Rueckner is fully prepared to write recommendations (he has some guidelines on the website) and I've heard he's very formulaic about it. He bases it on your grades and anything your TF might contribute. I've met with him once already to establish a connection and he's very open to writing LORs.

I have seen Rueckner's guidelines on recommendation letters. Such letters are likely to be impersonal and perceived as very lukewarm by adcoms. Actually that is a problem with all large classes where the professor has very little chance to get to know a student well. Letter writers at some of the liberal arts colleges write such great letters because they have taught and dined and hiked and camped with the students they have known over a period of 4 to 5 years.

I have seen Rueckner's guidelines on recommendation letters. Such letters are likely to be impersonal and perceived as very lukewarm by adcoms. Actually that is a problem with all large classes where the professor has very little chance to get to know a student well. Letter writers at some of the liberal arts colleges write such great letters because they have taught and dined and hiked and camped with the students they have known over a period of 4 to 5 years.

Meh. I disagree. Regardless, I'm not worried since my LORs are coming from all aspects of my life. In my opinion it would be more detrimental to not include a letter from your post-bacc institution (not including the committee letter). Whatever weakness supposedly exists, it doesn't conflict with a faculty letter of recommendation.

Do you ever have anything positive to say? Obviously students who don't try to form a relationship with their professors will get poor letters. On the flip side, physics has weekly TF led discussion sections, a dicussion board and prof. Ruckner is more than willing to chat before or after class.

I agree that you have to be careful. Sometimes a recommendation can do more harm than good. Luckily with HCP you can't really have too many LORs because they will only choose your best ones to put in the composite.

Just got my acceptance letter! Pretty excited, however I didn't see any notice for the diploma program, I did take a Principles of Bio I in undergrad with lab but it was designed for the non-science major and needed as a GE requirement, to which Peterson I believe said that would be fine and still make you eligible. Anyone have any information for this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Any of you guys volunteering with Candles to Crayons on the 18th? Wondering if I'll finally be able to put some faces to the names on this thread.

Any of you guys volunteering with Candles to Crayons on the 18th? Wondering if I'll finally be able to put some faces to the names on this thread.

No...:(

You going to New Orleans during spring break?:confused::eek::cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

Just received my HCP acceptance and planning to start this summer with gen chem in an effort to take the one-year path -OR- starting in the fall and following the recommended two-year plan. Any one out there starting this summer or fall?

I'm sadly having to take a leave of absence from my lovely husband and beautiful new home in California in order to pursue my goals. But I'm very excited, as I've been reading wonderful things about everyone's experiences in HCP! Sounds like a great program with a great group of learners!

Question... is anyone looking for a roommate for summer or fall? (I have two little sweet toy poodles who will be joining me.) PM me if you would like. :)

2nd question... Anyone here achieved an A in Summer gen chem?

Thank you!

Hello everyone!

Just received my HCP acceptance and planning to start this summer with gen chem in an effort to take the one-year path -OR- starting in the fall and following the recommended two-year plan. Any one out there starting this summer or fall?

I'm sadly having to take a leave of absence from my lovely husband and beautiful new home in California in order to pursue my goals. But I'm very excited, as I've been reading wonderful things about everyone's experiences in HCP! Sounds like a great program with a great group of learners!

Question... is anyone looking for a roommate for summer or fall? (I have two little sweet toy poodles who will be joining me.) PM me if you would like. :)

2nd question... Anyone here achieved an A in Summer gen chem?

Thank you!

Yes to your second question. No, I wasn't the only one. Yes, there many more than two.

Anyone know if there is always one chem prof. who teaches it in the summer or does it vary?

Last edited:
To the past and present Bio folks - what's to be expected from the lab? There is a quiz at the end that I have no idea how to prepare for... Is studying the lab protocol generally enough? Thanks!

To the past and present Bio folks - what's to be expected from the lab? There is a quiz at the end that I have no idea how to prepare for... Is studying the lab protocol generally enough? Thanks!

Lab directly relates to topics covered in class. There's an enzyme lab, a photosynthesis lab, a PCR lab. . . They're all pretty basic, but do take the full 2-3 hours.

The lab quiz directly relates to topics and techniques covered in the lab. If you're familiar with the main protocols used in each lab, and the reasoning behind the protocols, you'll be ok.

I seriously barely studied for the lab final and had the highest grade in my section on it. I do work in a lab during the day, but it's really basic stuff. Show up, pay attention, and put in a few hours of studying and you'll be a-ok. If you're the type of person that just goes to lab and lets your tablemates do all the work, you might have some trouble.

Oh, and for the lab write ups, be sure to include EVERYTHING they mention in the assignment. That's the surefire way to get full credit.

Lab directly relates to topics covered in class. There's an enzyme lab, a photosynthesis lab, a PCR lab. . . They're all pretty basic, but do take the full 2-3 hours.

The lab quiz directly relates to topics and techniques covered in the lab. If you're familiar with the main protocols used in each lab, and the reasoning behind the protocols, you'll be ok.

I seriously barely studied for the lab final and had the highest grade in my section on it. I do work in a lab during the day, but it's really basic stuff. Show up, pay attention, and put in a few hours of studying and you'll be a-ok. If you're the type of person that just goes to lab and lets your tablemates do all the work, you might have some trouble.

Oh, and for the lab write ups, be sure to include EVERYTHING they mention in the assignment. That's the surefire way to get full credit.

Thanks!
I think the E-1b labs might be slightly different from E-1a as there are no write ups - the entire lab grade is based on the quiz. We've started covering organ systems in lectures, but the first lab is on the much dreaded histology since I don't remember anything about cell structure. So I'm just memorizing all the different types of tissue as I am guessing the quiz is not going to be open notes. Ugh. Never thought I'd actually look forward to the dissection labs instead.

Anyone know if there is always one chem prof. who teaches it in the summer or does it vary?

This summer, Tucci will be teaching during the summer. He's the same guy who teaches it during the year. Last year, I had Matchacheep, who teaches first-semester orgo during the year (and possibly both semesters starting in the fall).

This summer, Tucci will be teaching during the summer. He's the same guy who teaches it during the year. Last year, I had Matchacheep, who teaches first-semester orgo during the year (and possibly both semesters starting in the fall).

Does he (Matchacheep) grade fairly? I don't know if it's a he or a she. Someone on the extension site mentioned something about a Sri Lankan professor with a heavy accent and I am wondering if that was Matchacheep.

Does he (Matchacheep) grade fairly? I don't know if it's a he or a she. Someone on the extension site mentioned something about a Sri Lankan professor with a heavy accent and I am wondering if that was Matchacheep.

She's not from Sri Lanka, and she doesn't have a thick accent. You shouldn't have any trouble understanding her. AFAIK, there are no Sri Lankan professors for the prereqs.

I'm sending my application this week! So excited! I'll be starting in the fall though.

Tonight Fixsen is giving a talk at 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM about getting into medical school (Sever Hall, 110). I'd really recommend going as he will be lecturing then answering questions. I'll be leaving early for Chem section, but hope to see some of you there!

Tonight Fixsen is giving a talk at 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM about getting into medical school (Sever Hall, 110). I'd really recommend going as he will be lecturing then answering questions. I'll be leaving early for Chem section, but hope to see some of you there!

I wish someone tapes him and put up what he says on youtube for those who cannot attend.

Actually yes, someone is filming.

In that case, do you know if it'll be posted anywhere online? I was going to try and leave my physics discussion early to go, but if the talk might be available online I'd rather not miss class.. Thanks!

In that case, do you know if it'll be posted anywhere online? I was going to try and leave my physics discussion early to go, but if the talk might be available online I'd rather not miss class.. Thanks!

HCP students will be able to access it. Go to section!

Last edited:
Nice, the talk overlaps my cell bio class perfectly. I'm glad its being recorded.

I am not part of HCP yet. I hope I will also be able to watch the tape!

Who was the SDNer lurking during Cell Bio tonight?!

I SEEE YOUU

Who was the SDNer lurking during Cell Bio tonight?!

I SEEE YOUU

That's pretty hilarious. I thought that kind of thing only happened on Reddit. We need more HCP SDN pride.

I'm surprised how many lurkers there are at HCP - Fixsen even mentioned it in his talk last night. I wonder if he is watching us...right...now....

:eek:

That's pretty hilarious. I thought that kind of thing only happened on Reddit. We need more HCP SDN pride.

I'm surprised how many lurkers there are at HCP - Fixsen even mentioned it in his talk last night. I wonder if he is watching us...right...now....

I always wonder how many times we've all passed each other by and not recognized that we actually talk to each other ALL THE TIME.

Howdy fellow redditor ;)

I always wonder how many times we've all passed each other by and not recognized that we actually talk to each other ALL THE TIME.

I think about this all the time. Where do you sit in class?

Howdy fellow redditor ;)

I think about this all the time. Where do you sit in class?

Hallo!

I'm a power T myself. First 5 rows, drinking a latte. I always feel a little rough for class as I'm usually coming from work and on my second double espresso coffee.

Last edited:
Where can I watch Fixsen's talk?

Slacker. . .

I'm a 3rd rower.

Further up always seems like it's too close. I like having the screen closer to eye level.

Then again, hall C isn't as bad as D and B. The seats are also comfier. The seats in hall B suck.

Anyway, I'm gonna to go wittigify a carbonyl. Because that's what my life has become.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a senior undergraduate student in Washington, DC and will be graduating with my BA degree in May. I'm interested in attending the Health Careers Program for this upcoming Fall. Would I be able to apply now, or do I have to wait until actually receiving my degree?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a senior undergraduate student in Washington, DC and will be graduating with my BA degree in May. I'm interested in attending the Health Careers Program for this upcoming Fall. Would I be able to apply now, or do I have to wait until actually receiving my degree?

Thanks!

I'm not sure, as long as your can provide a running GPA and list of science classes taken, you should be OK.

Your best bet: (617) 495-2926 or [email protected] and ask.

Hope this helps.

You can find find me sitting in the frost middle copying off all your answers :thumbup:

Hello! After much thought I have decided to start the HCP in the summer. I have a few general questions for everyone here.

Anyone need a roommate, I start in the summer?
( I saw the above post looking for one, but I don't know how comfortable you are living with a male.)
Should I bring my car? How hard is it to get around with it and park?
How is the winter there in Boston? Would walking/biking be fine most of the time?
Are there any areas to avoid looking for a place to live in?
Seems like the general consensus is to take Biology first then Chem?
Those of you who worked through the program, how hard was it? How long did you take? What as your course load?

This is all I have for now thanks!

Hello! After much thought I have decided to start the HCP in the summer. I have a few general questions for everyone here.
Good choice. Welcome!
Should I bring my car? How hard is it to get around with it and park?
I bike/walk/T (our subway) everywhere. This all depends on where you live though. If you're not close to supermarkets and such, being entirely dependent on public transportation can be tough. That said, I find Boston fairly walk/bike friendly, and there are a bunch of bike paths and most roads have dedicated bike lanes. The drivers here suck though, so if you're not used to biking in a city be forewarned, it can be interesting.
How is the winter there in Boston? Would walking/biking be fine most of the time?
Our winter has been extremely mild. I've biked/walked straight through and never had a day where I wish I had a car. The T, for the most part, will run during snow.
Are there any areas to avoid looking for a place to live in?
From what I've heard, you want to avoid Dorchester, East Boston and specific parts of Cambridge. Other than that, most of the Fenway, Kenmore, Brookline, Brighton, Allston, Cambridge, Somerville, Back Bay, Symphony areas are pretty decent. My biggest piece of advice when moving - avoid the September 1st move-in date like the plague.
Seems like the general consensus is to take Biology first then Chem?
Nope. Infact the general consensus is the exactly opposite. Chem and Physics first year, then Orgo and Biology the second year. If you're starting in the summer and not dead set on the one year plan I'd then recommend summer Bio with Fixsen, Chem/Phys during the first year, electives during the second summer, and Orgo/electives to finish it out. Fixsen is a pro Bio teacher, and you'll see that there are mixed reviews for Anderson. If you do well in the first semester of Chem and Phys you could take Cell Bio/Phys/Chem during that first spring (which I'm doing now, its totally manageable), Molecular Bio/Biochemistry during the second summer, and then Orgo/A&P the next year.

If you're dead set on the one year plan then its Chem in the summer, and Bio/Phys/Orgo during the year. I cannot imagine working and completing that schedule though.
Those of you who worked through the program, how hard was it? How long did you take? What as your course load?
Here's my background and schedule: I started HCP having taken Chem I and Bio II at another university (last spring). I started at HCP this past fall with Phys I and Bio I. I also started my research position (20-30 hours a week) and clinical volunteering. I'm currently enrolled in Phys II, Chem II and Cell Bio, with the same ECs. I'm applying to some programs for June, then I'll be taking Molecular Biology and Biochemistry during the summer. Next fall I'll take Orgo I, A&P I and most likely Medical Microbiology (with Dr. Mann, Dr. Anderson's head teaching fellow whose lecture style I liked). Winter session will be an elective, then next spring I'll tone back my research heavily (will probably just be keeping my cells alive) and do MCAT prep, Orgo II and A&P II. Most people I've talked to said a late April MCAT date with one or two classes is completely manageable and it let them give their finals complete focus. I'll start prep in mid-december and do the 4 month SN2ed MCAT prep. That should set me up to have everything ready to go for an early-June application package.

Yes I'm type A and yes I know I'm nuts for planing everything that far in ahead.

How many of you are planning to take the MCAT next year? After talking with Dr. Fixsen he said that people (on the traditional 2 year track) start preparing for the beast in their last semester while taking orgo 2 and bio 2 and taking it in the summer after semester has finished. Is this along the lines of what you all have planned?

May I ask how old you are johnnyscans?
Anyone have any advice on Calculus?
I haven't taken any math in awhile, should I start with an algrebra/pre-calc class or self study and see if I can place into it?