Official Harvard Extension 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:eek: I also volunteer in the ED of MGH...too funny. I wonder how many times we've passed each other?

Manic mondays 11-2 for me. You?

Members don't see this ad.

OK, which one of you thought that ATP kept being produced after the organism dies? Don't be shy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't wait to take part in this playful banter.

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow: Bio tonight I'm guessing? Jeeeesus.

The last two lectures have brought out some interesting questions. At least it'll clarify any misconceptions. I hope.

Also, am I the only who caught Anderson's Highlander joke? Or maybe I'm easily amused.

Where can I watch Prof. Fixsen's talk? Does anyone have a YouTube link?

No, it won't be posted on Youtube.

That's too bad. I was so looking forward to watching what he had to say!

aihtliatybiatyaarb

Last edited:
Is anyone else feeling massively unprepared for the Physics Midterm?

I hate complaining, and I really hate blaming others, but I feel like the lectures and section have not provided me with anywhere near the amount of preparation and knowledge I need.

Last semester, prior to every midterm, I had an idea of what to expect come test day. I have close to zero idea what Tuesday's exam is going to be like.

I hope my coffee pot doesn't die on me this week . . .

I feel the same way. I can't figure out whether I'm bombing practice exams because we haven't covered some of the material that's on them or because I just don't get it... Ugh.
Good luck studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same way. I can't figure out whether I'm bombing practice exams because we haven't covered some of the material that's on them or because I just don't get it... Ugh.
Good luck studying!

I'm in the exact same boat. Good luck to you too.

I'm actually a lot more worried about the chem test than physics.

big week coming up for the chem/physics gang!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!! may the electric force be in our favor this week!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOY2eWO2qw

Oh boy, I thought that was a link to Fixsen's YouTube video. I want to see if someone will be kind enough to post it here.

Oh boy, I thought that was a link to Fixsen's YouTube video. I want to see if someone will be kind enough to post it here.

Again, we will not be posting it for the public - it is a resource for HEPS students and we've been asked to keep it private.

Last edited:
Again, we will not be posting it for the public - it is a resource for HEPS students and we've been asked to keep it private.

I just noticed your avatar. Pumped for April 1st? Have you read the books?

I just noticed your avatar. Pumped for April 1st? Have you read the books?

I read through the first three books last year at the urging of a friend. What can I say, I fell in love! Have you? I admit that once, while watching Professor Lewin's MIT lectures, I accidentally called him Maester. As in Maester Luwin. My nerd was strong that day...

I've been trying to get through the fourth, but it is nearly impossible with this double test week.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I read through the first three books last year at the urging of a friend. What can I say, I fell in love! Have you? I admit that once, while watching Professor Lewin's MIT lectures, I accidentally called him Maester. As in Maester Luwin. My nerd was strong that day...

I've been trying to get through the fourth, but it is nearly impossible with this double test week.

I've read the first 4, I have Dance with Dragons on my bookshelf, but sadly textbooks have taken precedence.

Hey, if anyone is studying for Chem/Physics and has any questions or wants to chat feel free to PM me or reply here.

I'm pretty confident about Physics. Chem. . . oh well.

Hey, if anyone is studying for Chem/Physics and has any questions or wants to chat feel free to PM me or reply here.

I'm pretty confident about Physics. Chem. . . oh well.

Just out of curiosity, what are you guys doing now in chem?

Just out of curiosity, what are you guys doing now in chem?
In terms of test preparation, or in terms of topics covered?

I've barely studied for chemistry, I've been too busy having multiple nervous breakdowns over physics since I feel like the test is going to be a bloodbath.

In terms of topics: we've covered bonding, phase changes, rates, nuclear chemistry, rate mechanisms, umm. I'm sure I'm missing some formal titles. Physics has truly taken over my life and tomorrow night is going to be a rude awakening when I realize how much chemistry I've forgotten.

In terms of test preparation, or in terms of topics covered?

I've barely studied for chemistry, I've been too busy having multiple nervous breakdowns over physics since I feel like the test is going to be a bloodbath.

In terms of topics: we've covered bonding, phase changes, rates, nuclear chemistry, rate mechanisms, umm. I'm sure I'm missing some formal titles. Physics has truly taken over my life and tomorrow night is going to be a rude awakening when I realize how much chemistry I've forgotten.

I'm sure you guys will do fine if that's where you're at:thumbup:.

You guys seem to be covering things in a little different order than during the summer, but IIRC, the real fun starts with solubility (equilibrium), acid/base, and electrochem:smuggrin:. Those three were probably the topics that gave everyone trouble during the summer:mad:. Assuming you haven't gotten there yet.:cool:

As for physics, good luck. I know nothing.:(

Also, kinda sad I missed the GoT to troll explosion portion of the day, but so many neurons to go through:boom::sleep::whoa::lame:

I'm sure you guys will do fine if that's where you're at:thumbup:.

You guys seem to be covering things in a little different order than during the summer, but IIRC, the real fun starts with solubility (equilibrium), acid/base, and electrochem:smuggrin:. Those three were probably the topics that gave everyone trouble during the summer:mad:. Assuming you haven't gotten there yet.:cool:

As for physics, good luck. I know nothing.:(

Also, kinda sad I missed the GoT to troll explosion portion of the day, but so many neurons to go through:boom::sleep::whoa::lame:

It was a party, that's for sure. I dropped a line from True Romance and defended our honor.

Argh. I did very well on the 2011 Physics practice test and began to pat myself on the back when....I totally bombed the 2010 version. I'm hoping he leans more towards the 2011 spread. To be fair, I'm still a little confused on what is and is not covered in the exam since Doug decided to give us problems based on material we haven't covered. Can't someone just make it simple!?

I mean, for circuits we just need to know Power, Resistance, and series/parallel right? Since that was covered on the homework? I know it has been mentioned on the question board and Rueckner sent out a confusing email, but then why did Doug even include that material in his review??

Anyway the cookie crumbles, good luck everyone.

Same with me, I did well on the other three practice tests but I got a lot wrong on the 2010 test.

Circuits will NOT be on the exam. kirchoffs rules and simplifying parallel/series circuits will not be on the exam. I'm guessing there will be a basic circuit with one resistor or capacitor and we'll need to apply ohm's law and the power equations but we will not need to break down a circuit. doug explicitly stated this in his review.

he also said there will probably be a multiple choice question testing gauss's law so be prepared for that.

good luck everyone :xf:

Argh. I did very well on the 2011 Physics practice test and began to pat myself on the back when....I totally bombed the 2010 version. I'm hoping he leans more towards the 2011 spread. To be fair, I'm still a little confused on what is and is not covered in the exam since Doug decided to give us problems based on material we haven't covered. Can't someone just make it simple!?

I mean, for circuits we just need to know Power, Resistance, and series/parallel right? Since that was covered on the homework? I know it has been mentioned on the question board and Rueckner sent out a confusing email, but then why did Doug even include that material in his review??

Hey All,

I'm not sure if former students check this thread, but if any of you do I'd be interested to hear success stories from HCP. Could you tell me:

1. Pre-post bacc GPA
2. Post bacc GPA
3. MCAT
4. School you attend/schools you were accepted to/ schools you interviewed at?

For #4 I know this blog prides itself on anonymity, so any information you are willing to give is great.

Thanks

Same with me, I did well on the other three practice tests but I got a lot wrong on the 2010 test.

Circuits will NOT be on the exam. kirchoffs rules and simplifying parallel/series circuits will not be on the exam. I'm guessing there will be a basic circuit with one resistor or capacitor and we'll need to apply ohm's law and the power equations but we will not need to break down a circuit. doug explicitly stated this in his review.

he also said there will probably be a multiple choice question testing gauss's law so be prepared for that.

Great, thanks for the help. I noted that Gauss' Law and the derivations for field density were on a lot of practice tests and the practice problems. I wrote each derivation on my crib sheet :thumbup:. I think you're right about the basic circuit - they may give us a problem like the power plant example from homework. I forsee something about overcoming the resistance and generating enough power for the circuit to work.

:luck: to you all!

I still have no clue what we're expected to know in regards to circuits. I threw on the Requiv and Cequiv rules onto my crib sheet, and if for some reason we're asked about it, I'm just going to shoot from the hip like a champ. Doug made a poor choice in regards to his practice problems - latent heat? C'mon. . .

Good luck to you too

Great, thanks for the help. I noted that Gauss' Law and the derivations for field density were on a lot of practice tests and the practice problems. I wrote each derivation on my crib sheet :thumbup:. I think you're right about the basic circuit - they may give us a problem like the power plant example from homework. I forsee something about overcoming the resistance and generating enough power for the circuit to work.

:luck: to you all!

If I had to guess what the 4 long answer questions where going to be, I would say:
-one is going to be a long wordy problem involving 2 conducting spheres and induction, conduction, polarization, grounding, etc.
-one of two balls hanging or a ball/charge attached to a spring
-some type of uniform E field and finding the acceleration or deflection of a charge in it
-simple circuit (dam and power plant, etc)

If you don't have them memorized, I'd recommend throwing your kinematic equations and hooks law onto your crib sheet.

Verdict? Thought it was fair. The question about the clothing in the dryer had me :confused: at the start, but things improved from there on out.

Jennet, I think I know who you are. If you live in Texas I definitely know who you are :cool:

How do you guys show leadership experience?

As in what have I done in my life to demonstrate leadership ability? I helped run two youth programs at my old job (I was in charge of the younger age group) and I also was project lead on a bunch of initiatives at yet another prior job.

Verdict? Thought it was fair. The question about the clothing in the dryer had me :confused: at the start, but things improved from there on out.

Fair, but tricky, as always. I also left the very first question for last.
That's what frustrates me most about this class - easy concepts are obscured by elaborate wording; I may know the physics behind it, but what the heck is the right answer?
Oh well, it's over.

What were you guys' stats when you first got into the program?

<3.0 sGPa and cGPA. Lucky for me I only had like 2 undergraduate science courses. My sGPA (after 2 semesters of 3.9 post bacc science work) is like 3.2/3.3 and climbing.

That said, I like to think I have a pretty interesting background and path that brought me to medicine. I also scored a 1360 (out of 1600) which is pretty decent I guess.

That's what frustrates me most about this class - easy concepts are obscured by elaborate wording; I may know the physics behind it, but what the heck is the right answer?
Oh well, it's over.

It was funny watching people rubbing their t shirts onto their jeans and such during the test haha.

Is this Physics 2 that you guys are discussing? With who, Rueckner?

Also: for summer (if we intend to start) do you guys recommend taking Bio or Chem first (if we come from a non-science background)? I believe Dr. Fixsen is teaching Bio in the summer and many argued he was very good, as opposed to Anderson, who currently teaches Bio during the regular year. Has anyone had him here, and thoughts on this? Thanks.

Is this Physics 2 that you guys are discussing? With who, Rueckner?

Also: for summer (if we intend to start) do you guys recommend taking Bio or Chem first (if we come from a non-science background)? I believe Dr. Fixsen is teaching Bio in the summer and many argued he was very good, as opposed to Anderson, who currently teaches Bio during the regular year. Has anyone had him here, and thoughts on this? Thanks.
Yep, we just had our first exam (electricity).

Are you planning on the summer + one year plan or a two year plan?

If you're dead set on the one year plan (which I would strongly recommend you not do) you have to take general chemistry during the summer, since it's a prerequisite for organic chemistry. You follow that up with Orgo, Bio and Physics during the year, and kiss your social life goodbye, because those classes will eat you up.

If you're going to do the two year plan, I would totally recommend biology first, especially coming from a non-science background. General biology will set the groundwork for many classes to come. Fixsen's class, while difficult, is supposedly an ideal introductory biology course, and it will prepare you beautifully for the MCAT. Taking Biology in the summer also opens your schedule up for a variety of upper level science electives. Cell biology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, etc. all require introductory biology.

If I were you I would set up my schedule as follows. Keep in mind this varies based on your EC activities and how much torture you want to put yourself through.
1. Summer Biology w/ Fixsen - start looking around for volunteer/EC activities, but make your priority earning that A
2. Chem and Physics with Tucci and Ruckner, respectively, this coming fall. Do not take a third course until you get the feel for their classes. Both can be time sinks if you suck at time management. Secure a good volunteer gig, and stay busy during the day.
3. Chem and Physics II, and Cell Biology next spring. This is my current schedule, and I find it both manageable and interesting. Cell bio really helps to hammer home concepts learned in introductory biology.
4. The following summer (if funds permit) molecular biology and biochemistry. Show those adcoms you can handle some tough upper level science coursework. Summer biochemistry does not require organic chemistry, and may even help you with the course when you take it during the year.
5. Organic Chemistry I and II and Anatomy and Physiology I and II the following fall and spring. Aim for a late April MCAT (since it only covers the first semester of O-Chem). Start studying after your fall finals. With your MCAT done at the end of April you have a least a week, week and a half, before finals. Scores come back at the end of May, and you're right on target for a nice and early application.

Hope this helps,

Oh well, it's over.

The test was ok, and I did fine, but I get incredibly frustrated. You brought up a very good point. Confusing wording. That Gaussian surface question really threw me and it didn't need to be so tricky. I really like Professor Rueckner and I sincerely enjoy class but I have some huge reservations about the overall application. We aren't taught how to approach problems in depth but are expected to figure it out or take on extra practice problems. It's like knowing the vocabulary for a foreign language but being unable to construct the sentences. I am not naturally gifted in Physics and it has been incredibly difficult to wrap my brain around how to approach this subject. I wish we were taught to analyze the method more and then asked to manipulate it. That's what is important after all; grasping the concepts. I think he did a splendid job on the swinging ball question but I was totally confused with the equipotential surface long problem. He spent maybe 5 minutes in class showing us how the potential was the same across the apparatus and we never spoke of it again. For me, the concepts are not being reinforced continually and systematically and then whammo! Test question worth 12 points of our grade.

I appreciate what Tucci says about objective reasoning and learning "how to solve" the problems. I wish we were taught more on "how to solve" in this course though I know the time is extremely limited. I apparently need more outside work. Sigh.

I hate not excelling in this course. It is frustrating to study my butt off for two weeks and look at the first question and think, "WTH." I did not spend all my free time to get a B. Can I get an empathetic amen?

For the first question I initially circled the answer that was something along the lines of "this is true for all shirts made of 100% cotton" then i started to write my explanation mentioning the triboelectric series and how cotton would readily lose or accept electrons then i stopped and i was like - this doesn't make sense- my explanation. so i put that question aside and when i came back to it i read the answer choices again and i chose that one of the shirt manufacturers were lying about one of the shirts being 100% cotton.
I'm hoping that the concept being tested on that question was just simple like charges repel.

to everyone in physics. HERE IS A BIG HINT!! PUT DOWN YOUR GIANCOLI BOOK AND GET ON THAT GIAMBATTISTA! two of the multiple choice questions on the exam came from the giambattista book. EXACTLY THE SAME QUESTION. word for word. even one of the free response questions came from the giambattista book. the styrofoam ball hanging from the string. parts b and c were directly from his suggested practice problem, also in the giambattista book.

occasionally he does test something in the giancoli book but your best best is sticking with giambattista. giancoli doesn't in depth on the concepts like giambattisa and after browsing on physicsforums i've concluded that the giancoli book is more used for high school physics, not college physics. i may be wrong.

also, another hint. the first gauss's law of the electric field at radius r was directly from doug's review. there were literally 3 free multiple choice problems for the first exam.

now the secret's out!!!! i felt the exam was relatively easy but i was prepared. now i'm about to get slaughtered in chem because i've been slacking in that class

I appreciate what Tucci says about objective reasoning and learning "how to solve" the problems. I wish we were taught more on "how to solve" in this course though I know the time is extremely limited. I apparently need more outside work. Sigh.

Yes, you're right in that our chem class teaches you how to solve problems because they literally walk you through the process but in doing that compromises understanding, in my opinion. I know how to do chem problems but i don't know what the heck i'm doing or WHY i'm doing it. but i know how to do it. this is OK because we all want a good grade but I also wish we were tested on conceptual understanding more so like physics. I'm worried that the holes in my conceptual understanding of gen chem will be exposed come MCAT time.

I like how Professor Rueckner doesn't baby feed us physics problem solving skills. I feel that when i learn how to solve a problem on my own (after a long time trying to figure it out) that i come away with a much deeper understanding of the problem and concepts.

Last edited:
For the first question I initially circled the answer that was something along the lines of "this is true for all shirts made of 100% cotton" then i started to write my explanation mentioning the triboelectric series and how cotton would readily lose or accept electrons then i stopped and i was like - this doesn't make sense- my explanation. so i put that question aside and when i came back to it i read the answer choices again and i chose that one of the shirt manufacturers were lying about one of the shirts being 100% cotton.
I'm hoping that the concept being tested on that question was just simple like charges repel.

to everyone in physics. HERE IS A BIG HINT!! PUT DOWN YOUR GIANCOLI BOOK AND GET ON THAT GIAMBATTISTA! two of the multiple choice questions on the exam came from the giambattista book. EXACTLY THE SAME QUESTION. word for word. even one of the free response questions came from the giambattista book. the styrofoam ball hanging from the string. parts b and c were directly from his suggested practice problem, also in the giambattista book.

occasionally he does test something in the giancoli book but your best best is sticking with giambattista. giancoli doesn't in depth on the concepts like giambattisa and after browsing on physicsforums i've concluded that the giancoli book is more used for high school physics, not college physics. i may be wrong.

also, another hint. the first gauss's law of the electric field at radius r was directly from doug's review. there were literally 3 free multiple choice problems for the first exam.

now the secret's out!!!! i felt the exam was relatively easy but i was prepared. now i'm about to get slaughtered in chem because i've been slacking in that class

You're right, I recognized the capacitor one from the Giambattista book. I just love my Giancoli because for me it teaches the concepts in depth. Giambattista makes it too simple almost. To be fair, I may be seriously over-thinking all the problems.

Answers are posted BTW. Pretty sure I got a solid B. I want that A so bad!!!

The test was ok, and I did fine, but I get incredibly frustrated. You brought up a very good point. Confusing wording. That Gaussian surface question really threw me and it didn't need to be so tricky. I really like Professor Rueckner and I sincerely enjoy class but I have some huge reservations about the overall application. We aren't taught how to approach problems in depth but are expected to figure it out or take on extra practice problems. It's like knowing the vocabulary for a foreign language but being unable to construct the sentences. I am not naturally gifted in Physics and it has been incredibly difficult to wrap my brain around how to approach this subject. I wish we were taught to analyze the method more and then asked to manipulate it. That's what is important after all; grasping the concepts. I think he did a splendid job on the swinging ball question but I was totally confused with the equipotential surface long problem. He spent maybe 5 minutes in class showing us how the potential was the same across the apparatus and we never spoke of it again. For me, the concepts are not being reinforced continually and systematically and then whammo! Test question worth 12 points of our grade.

I hate not excelling in this course. It is frustrating to study my butt off for two weeks and look at the first question and think, "WTH." I did not spend all my free time to get a B. Can I get an empathetic amen?

I agree completely, the questions are plagued with tricky wording. I knew exactly what the first question was asking about - the triboelectric series and the forces of attraction. How do we know that one of the cotton shirts didn't rub with another material and end up neutralizing a previously gained charged? How do we know the composition of the other clothes in the dryer? I know what he wants us to think about - rubbing various materials together transfers electrons, and thus causes attraction. There are simply too many variables in play for someone who thinks like me.

Wait, there's a book other than the Giambattista? I thought that was our book. . .I use Giambattista in combination with "The MCAT Physics Book". Giambattista for problems, the MCAT Physics Book to hammer home concepts. Many homework and exam questions come almost straight from Giambattista. My recommendation? Pick up the student solutions manual and work through all questions covered in it.

Yes, you're right in that our chem class teaches you how to solve problems because they literally walk you through the process but in doing that compromises understanding, in my opinion. I know how to do chem problems but i don't know what the heck i'm doing or WHY i'm doing it. but i know how to do it. this is OK because we all want a good grade but I also wish we were tested on conceptual understanding more so like physics. I'm worried that the holes in my conceptual understanding of gen chem will be exposed come MCAT time.

I like how Professor Rueckner doesn't baby feed us physics problem solving skills. I feel that when i learn how to solve a problem on my own (after a long time trying to figure it out) that i come away with a much deeper understanding of the problem and concepts.

I think there's a fine line that's walked in regards to over vs. under teaching. If someone in our physics class went to lecture, read the textbook and did the homework problems they would not be set up for success on the exam. I'm not saying that everyone should get an A (there has to be some incentive for hard work), but physics would definitely from working through shorter, yet more test specific examples. The problems we did last semester were nice - work the math and then view a concept as it happened (monkey and arrow).

Oh, exam key is up!

I think there's a fine line that's walked in regards to over vs. under teaching. If someone in our physics class went to lecture, read the textbook and did the homework problems they would not be set up for success on the exam. I'm not saying that everyone should get an A (there has to be some incentive for hard work), but physics would definitely from working through shorter, yet more test specific examples. The problems we did last semester were nice - work the math and then view a concept as it happened (monkey and arrow).

EXACTLY. My study plan has been: lecture, reading, homework, practice problems, tutoring, and as many outside problems as I can manage. I still feel like I'm on the cusp of really understanding the material in depth. I'm looking for a sense of confidence and ease that I do not yet have. I would love to go through foundation building work and then application in class. It would help so much! For now, I've been doing all that on my own.

FYI, knowing the why will make your transition into orgo easier. Especially molecular orbital theory (hybrid orbitals, orbital energy diagrams) and resonance structures. And Lewis structures. And being intimately familiar with the nonmetals. Especially C, O, N, S, and the halogens. Also, understanding what activation energy is, and how it relates to how a reaction proceeds. And equilibrium. Leisurely summer review w/ a few beers. Hint, hint.

FYI, knowing the why will make your transition into orgo easier. Especially molecular orbital theory (hybrid orbitals, orbital energy diagrams) and resonance structures. And Lewis structures. And being intimately familiar with the nonmetals. Especially C, O, N, S, and the halogens. Also, understanding what activation energy is, and how it relates to how a reaction proceeds. And equilibrium. Leisurely summer review w/ a few beers. Hint, hint.

Noted. Thanks for the heads up.

First I need to get myself out of this mess I put myself in for the gen chem exam tomorrow.

Need to get off SDN!!!! :idea::idea:

Noted. Thanks for the heads up.

First I need to get myself out of this mess I put myself in for the gen chem exam tomorrow.

Need to get off SDN!!!! :idea::idea:

Haha, I sat down to review chemistry last night and had a massive "oh, I forgot about this" moment. Some good music and working the practice problems seemed to help me though.