Official Harvard Extension 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you're going to have a gap year? What do you plan on doing with it?

Continue with research and hopefully attend some conferences, maybe take one or two upper level courses (neurobiology, immunology), travel to interviews and relax

Members don't see this ad.

pick-up-scientist-photo-u9.jpg

Good luck on the bio exam, and may your deity/science have mercy on your soul.

pick-up-scientist-photo-u9.jpg

I do not miss Andersons exams. Good luck to you guys. Fairly glad I'm done with my bio sequence.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know what to expect from this exam, but not gonna lie, I'm terrified for tonight.
I cannot memorize those 8 essential amino acids for the life of me! At his point they look like some gibberish collection of letters and in trying to learn them I pretty much forgot everything else... :/

Good luck!

Trying to sign up for volunteer orientation at MGH, but it fills up so fast and I have to wait another 3 weeks, any advice?

Trying to sign up for volunteer orientation at MGH, but it fills up so fast and I have to wait another 3 weeks, any advice?

They post the times that the orientation registration will become available. Do it at exactly that time (usually like noon on a Friday).

Well I have a handy chart I printed out per temperatures (can't find it at present) but for anything below 30 I usually do 2 pairs of underarmour tights, 1 underarmour short sleeve wicking tee, an underarmour long sleeve tight tee, some type of wicking shirt over the top, a windbreaker jacket (necessary in Boston), gloves, and a hat or ear protection. If it is extra cold I wear ankle warmers and bring my handwarmers. Generally I look very patchwork with all my clothes but it is better than freezing!

I want to start running here but one person has two huge dogs in a fenced yard but they can and do get out to chase cars sometimes. One of which is a rescued attack dog. The other one is an intelligent german shepard and probably won't bite anyone although she looks very threatening. But the rescued dog is a vicious one who might even kill someone who is running. The police won't do anything until the dog has actually bitten someone but the only person who was viciously attacked by the dog is the owner's son who is in his 30's. How do runners cope with such problems?

I want to start running here but one person has two huge dogs in a fenced yard but they can and do get out to chase cars sometimes. One of which is a rescued attack dog. The other one is an intelligent german shepard and probably won't bite anyone although she looks very threatening. But the rescued dog is a vicious one who might even kill someone who is running. The police won't do anything until the dog has actually bitten someone but the only person who was viciously attacked by the dog is the owner's son who is in his 30's. How do runners cope with such problems?

Anti-person dog or dog fighting dog. If it's a dog fighting dog you'll probably be a-ok. They're specifically trained to not be aggressive towards humans. Yes they bark and look mean, but most won't attack unprovoked.

My dad's a lifelong runner (35+ years). When he was training for marathons he got cornered by a pack of wild dogs. He guessed which one was the alpha and chased it down and they ran away.

Most of the time you'll be fine. If you're scared get dog-pepper spray.

I know some people were interested in the HCP social events; tonight is our weekly mixer. Come out and make some friends! We go after classes on Thursday at around 9:00 pm and there is usually 20-30 of us. You can find us congregating by the blackboard and couches with the other Extension Students for their EXTend the night event.

The dog is people-aggressive. There's so much wind here that pepper spray may hurt me more than the dog.

Hmm. Any other paths/roads you can run down to avoid the house? Have you spoken to the owners about your concerns? Write down every time the dogs are out of the yard off leash - when you have 5 or so occurrences go to the cops.

I'll be moving to Boston late in the summer as well and will be looking for a place to stay and some roommates. I was thinking about coming in the summer too, but I don't think I'm going to be able to pull it off with work and my lease is up at the end of July anyway. So I'll probably be ready to move early August. Mid-twenties female but my boyfriend is coming with me too. We currently live together.
Hey!

That could definitely work :) I'll pm you in a few!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll probably be moving mid-late summer as well!

Hmm. Any other paths/roads you can run down to avoid the house? Have you spoken to the owners about your concerns? Write down every time the dogs are out of the yard off leash - when you have 5 or so occurrences go to the cops.

The dogs are always in the yard. Only when they see someone running, they come out to chase the person. The owner is a redneck who owns 300+guns and I have spoken to him. There are other paths but none of them have sidewalks and it is a traffic hazard to run on them.

If someone merely takes HES classes without being a diploma candidate, can they check out books from Harvard libraries? I have heard contradictory things - some say yes, some say no.

Did any of you have stipulations when you applied to the HES program?

Mine is detailed here.

Did anyone else have something like this when they agreed to take part in the program?

Mine is detailed here.

Did anyone else have something like this when they agreed to take part in the program?

I did, and many others have. It's not unusual.

Mine is detailed here.

I didn't, but I know of many people that did receive them... not too surprising though since at the end of the day, you can essentially use that stipulation as a mark of getting into medical school. If they're telling you that you need to get a minimum of a 32 in order for them to write that letter, you can be sure you're probably (hopefully) going to get into a medical school somewhere (as long as you aren't only applying to reaches I would assume). As weird as it sounds, I almost wish they would have given me some sort of stipulation so I had something to actually reach for :lame:

I didn't, but I know of many people that did receive them... not too surprising though since at the end of the day, you can essentially use that stipulation as a mark of getting into medical school. If they're telling you that you need to get a minimum of a 32 in order for them to write that letter, you can be sure you're probably (hopefully) going to get into a medical school somewhere (as long as you aren't only applying to reaches I would assume). As weird as it sounds, I almost wish they would have given me some sort of stipulation so I had something to actually reach for :lame:

What was you cGPA/sGPA?

Just a reminder - Summer School registration is open. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (two limited enrollment courses) are both around 30% full. Full tuition is not due at time of registration; only a $200 deposit + $50 registration fee.

Just a heads up.

SPRING BREAK WOO aka :sleep::sleep::sleep::soexcited:

Just a reminder - Summer School registration is open. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (two limited enrollment courses) are both around 30% full. Full tuition is not due at time of registration; only a $200 deposit + $50 registration fee.

Just a heads up.

SPRING BREAK WOO aka :sleep::sleep::sleep::soexcited:

Do you need to have taken Bio for either? I've heard they don't enforce the rule but that the courses will be hard without.

Do you need to have taken Bio for either? I've heard they don't enforce the rule but that the courses will be hard without.

Recommended for both. I feel like I could provide you with reading material to bring you up to speed for molecular, not sure about biochem though.

Has anyone taken Statistics with Rader at the summer school? I'm considering taking his course and I can't find any ratings online. Thanks in advance!

Has anyone taken Statistics with Rader at the summer school? I'm considering taking his course and I can't find any ratings online. Thanks in advance!

I have researched Radner extensively when I wanted to enroll in this class. Maybe you should first tell me
-- have you taken Statistics before?
-- do you like or hate Statistics?
And maybe only then I should tell you what I know because I don't want to be influencing your decision either way based on what I found out from an HES advisor and former Statistics students. By the way, you should probably be registering very soon.

Last edited:
-- Does Prof Rueckner teach using mainly slides/overheads or does he mainly write on the board?

-- I am told Dr. French has a PhD in Chemistry and Chemical Biology from Yale. So why is he teaching Physics over the summer along with Dr. Lancor?

-- What are Timothy French and Rachael Lancor's summer physics classes like in terms of grading? Are they harsh graders?

-- Does Prof Rueckner teach using mainly slides/overheads or does he mainly write on the board?

-- I am told Dr. French has a PhD in Chemistry and Chemical Biology from Yale. So why is he teaching Physics over the summer along with Dr. Lancor?

-- What are Timothy French and Rachael Lancor's summer physics classes like in terms of grading? Are they harsh graders?

Professor Rueckner posts a lecture handout consisting of 20-30 slides per lecture which you print out yourself and bring to lecture. He derives a few key equations and will do a problem or two on the board. Most of the class is spent doing demonstrations.

I don't know anyone that has taken summer physics so I don't know anything about it.

Mix of both. Lecture slides to guide the lecture, but there is much that is written on the boards.

I have researched Radner extensively when I wanted to enroll in this class. Maybe you should first tell me
-- have you taken Statistics before?
-- do you like or hate Statistics?
And maybe only then I should tell you what I know because I don't want to be influencing your decision either way based on what I found out from an HES advisor and former Statistics students. By the way, you should probably be registering very soon.

There is no enrollment limit and registration ends the 21 of May. I'm in no rush. And his name is not Radner so you probably have the wrong professor in mind.

There is no enrollment limit and registration ends the 21 of May. I'm in no rush. And his name is not Radner so you probably have the wrong professor in mind.

Oh, I thought you meant the stat classes by Kevin Radner, Bernard Rosner and Rob Glynn. Those are the ones I know about.

Thanks Similey27 and Johnnyscans. How many chapters of Giambattista were covered in Physics-1 and how many in Physics-2? Rueckner's syllabus does not give an indication of this.

Thanks Similey27 and Johnnyscans. How many chapters of Giambattista were covered in Physics-1 and how many in Physics-2? Rueckner's syllabus does not give an indication of this.

Semester 1 was mechanics, torque, force, work, fluid statics and dynamics
Semester 2 is electricity, magnetism and I think nuclear physics

Find the link to the physics course webpage on the extension school webpage and figure it out for yourself. I'm assuming you've already been to the course website to look at the syllabus- you should have found the list of the chapters covered.

Hey all, this is my first time posting on SDN but I've been following this thread as I'm planning on joining some of you this fall. It's been a wealth of information so far, so thank you. I have a question about how everyone filled out the app for the hcp... Did you print it out and actually hand write it? If you used a program to type on or edit the PDF, it would be great to know which one works, thanks in advance!

Hey all, this is my first time posting on SDN but I've been following this thread as I'm planning on joining some of you this fall. It's been a wealth of information so far, so thank you. I have a question about how everyone filled out the app for the hcp... Did you print it out and actually hand write it? If you used a program to type on or edit the PDF, it would be great to know which one works, thanks in advance!

I hand wrote the fill in the blank type questions. For the essys, i typed them up and wrote "see attached".

I'm sure you could type all of it or hand write all of it. Adobe Acrobat has a nifty feature where it scans a document and inserts blanks so you can type responses. The problem, its not free.

Well, there's quite a bit of physics behind the chemistry you learn. If you really want to understand bond strength or why some atoms are so electropositive/electronegative, and why orbitals assume the shapes that they do, there's quite a bit of physics behind it. A gross oversimplification is that chemistry is applied physics, in the same way physics is applied mathematics or biology being applied chemistry.

In fact, Logan McCarty (Chem E-2b and Summer OChem prof) teaches intro physics during the day this semester. I think any PhD in the physical sciences, mathematics, or engineering gives you a strong grasp of the concepts covered in intro physics.

I filled in the blanks by hand, and typed up my essay on openoffice, printed it out and away it went. It cost me postage plus the app fee. Also, it sometimes takes a while to hear back from them.

Chem E-1b'ers. Don't forget long sleeves and long pants in lab this week.

For those who are "sponsored," is there any way to obtain a school ID to access the library/gym/etc? In other words, can we pay for an ID?

For those who are "sponsored," is there any way to obtain a school ID to access the library/gym/etc? In other words, can we pay for an ID?

If you're in the diploma program, you can just go to the student services building and have an ID made. If you're not receiving the diploma, you can still get into Cabot with a copy of your schedule; however, you cannot obtain a Harvard ID.

In other news, anyone else going to Columbia and NYU this Friday? I'm excited!

35dlrl.jpg

Good luck to anyone taking the OChem exam tomorrow

I've recently been accepted to the HCP program and I'm planning to move to the Boston area around mid August based on the advice of some people here.

Definitely prefer to room with other post-baccs so if you're looking for a roommate, PM me.

For those in the Diploma program, though I doubt time would allow it, is anyone doing any club sport? Like join the rowing team, frisbee, etc? I like getting involved so was just wondering if anyone was in the clubs.