Official Harvard Extension 2013 Thread

Started by MedWonk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Must be really, really tough to study for the mcat and take classes at the same time ... when are you planning on taking it?

It's extremely tough, but doable depending on your tolerance for pain and sleep depravation. I'm glad I took it when I did though.

May 30th. Already postponed it once (was initially set to take it right after this last midterm, but that just wasn't going to happen). Lets hope that the two weeks that I'll have between the final and the MCAT will be enough. I have yet to take a full-length practice exam. Man, time is flying by so fast!

For what it's worth, the older AAMC FLs are not indicative of the current examination. AAMC11, and maybe parts of 10, are the only official material that accurately represents the difficulty, format and question types you can expect to see on your exam. They're great for getting used to the format and delivery of the exam, but I don't feel they're as accurate as they once were.

Good luck in your prep.
 
Yeah time is really flying by. Good luck on the orgo final and on the mcat 👍
Thanks!

For what it's worth, the older AAMC FLs are not indicative of the current examination. AAMC11, and maybe parts of 10, are the only official material that accurately represents the difficulty, format and question types you can expect to see on your exam. They're great for getting used to the format and delivery of the exam, but I don't feel they're as accurate as they once were.

Good luck in your prep.
That's what I've heard. I don't think I will have time to take all of them, but will definitely do the most recent ones. I am going to take my first FL this weekend just to see where I am at and if it's even doable to prepare for this thing over the next few weeks with everything else that's going on. I think I'll start with an older FL and save the 10 and 11 for later.
Congrats on being done with it! Must be such a weight off your shoulder for now. What did you think of it?
 
Anyone else taking Biochem this summer? I emailed the professor because I haven't taken Orgo yet and he said that he focuses a lot more on Bio so not to worry. Not sure how much Gen Chem I would need to know though.

Also, if anyone's interested in playing tennis as a nice study break before class, send me a message. There are some courts right by the Cambridge Public Library, 5 minutes from the Science Center.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else taking Biochem this summer? I emailed the professor because I haven't taken Orgo yet and he said that he focuses a lot more on Bio so not to worry. Not sure how much Gen Chem I would need to know though.

Also, if anyone's interested in playing tennis as a nice study break before class, send me a message. There are some courts right by the Cambridge Public Library, 5 minutes from the Science Center.

I took it last summer. Much more Bio based. I thoroughly enjoyed the course though.

Thanks!


That's what I've heard. I don't think I will have time to take all of them, but will definitely do the most recent ones. I am going to take my first FL this weekend just to see where I am at and if it's even doable to prepare for this thing over the next few weeks with everything else that's going on. I think I'll start with an older FL and save the 10 and 11 for later.
Congrats on being done with it! Must be such a weight off your shoulder for now. What did you think of it?

I don't get test anxiety and I had been through multiple FLs, so it felt like just another exam. That said, I felt like it was harder than any of the AAMC FLs. The best prep you can do are TBR passages and reading science journals/economist. The MCAT is underdoing a paradigm shift, and much of the prep material available is not indicative of the examination in it's current form.
 
Anybody have thoughts on the Gen Chem midterm? I thought it was on the easy to medium side in terms of difficulty. Page 6 was pretty straightforward unless I missed something? Pg. 3, I found a little difficult.
 
Hey Everyone, I started at the extension school last fall but I had to withdraw because I was working up to 60 hours a week, mostly overnights, so I have a W. Sad, but hopefully not the end of the world. I applied to a bunch of post-baccs but wasn't accepted, so I guess I'm starting at HES this fall again. Anyway all this is to say that I am getting nervous and I'm trying to prepare and get ahead so that I don't get dragged down again. I've decided to work 1/2 time once classes start, and only during the day, which is already different than what I did before. So, I was wondering what else you guys would recommend doing to super prepare for these classes? I really want to work ahead as much as I can - how would you say I could best do that? I'm going to be taking Physics and Chemistry this fall, and it is really important to me that I do well. Any advice appreciated.
 
Hey Everyone, I started at the extension school last fall but I had to withdraw because I was working up to 60 hours a week, mostly overnights, so I have a W. Sad, but hopefully not the end of the world. I applied to a bunch of post-baccs but wasn't accepted, so I guess I'm starting at HES this fall again. Anyway all this is to say that I am getting nervous and I'm trying to prepare and get ahead so that I don't get dragged down again. I've decided to work 1/2 time once classes start, and only during the day, which is already different than what I did before. So, I was wondering what else you guys would recommend doing to super prepare for these classes? I really want to work ahead as much as I can - how would you say I could best do that? I'm going to be taking Physics and Chemistry this fall, and it is really important to me that I do well. Any advice appreciated.

Definitely not the end of the world. I'd just be careful moving forward and be honest with yourself. Even working part time hours can be tough depending on your job and how well you manage time. I work about 20 hours and take two classes, and I find this to be mostly doable, but difficult when I have to prep for exams. Sure there are some people who do way more, but there are some extraordinary people at HES and on this thread.

In terms of working ahead, you can buy the books and work through chapter problems. For physics, it seems a lot is learned through the book. For chem, the book will probably tell you more than you need to know. You could also get a tutor for both classes if you were especially ambitious. Tutors should have practice exams and practice problems to help you prepare. David Abbruzzese tutors for both classes, and has been at it for a while. I used him once for Chem, and it seemed to help. Robert Cruikshank has been mentioned as a good tutor for physics.
 
Hey Everyone, I started at the extension school last fall but I had to withdraw because I was working up to 60 hours a week, mostly overnights, so I have a W. Sad, but hopefully not the end of the world. I applied to a bunch of post-baccs but wasn't accepted, so I guess I'm starting at HES this fall again. Anyway all this is to say that I am getting nervous and I'm trying to prepare and get ahead so that I don't get dragged down again. I've decided to work 1/2 time once classes start, and only during the day, which is already different than what I did before. So, I was wondering what else you guys would recommend doing to super prepare for these classes? I really want to work ahead as much as I can - how would you say I could best do that? I'm going to be taking Physics and Chemistry this fall, and it is really important to me that I do well. Any advice appreciated.

Start preparing for the first exam in physics by reading the relevent chapters (1-4 or whatever) and carefully reading the in-book example problem explanations, and do every single back of the book odd problem twice. Until you can get them right without referring back to the chapter.

For gen chem don't read the book too much. You should grt a hold of the first exam's lecture notes, green book problems and problem sets. And start doing and re-doing problem and problem until you get bored and tired of doing problems. I've kept all of my lecture notes, problem sets and exams from gen chem 1&2 and put them in 2 binders, I'd be glad to give them to you if you want.

Do problem after problem after problem after problem!!! This is the strategy for physics, general and organic chemistry. For physics start working giambatista book problems but for gen chem don't do book problems but master all of the assigned problems.

Don't try to prepare for the whole semester's content, just prepare for the first exam and start off strong, would be my recommendation. There are tons of people smarter than I at HES but I've been able to hold my own because I've learned pretty early on that successful students not just attempt a lot of problems, but are able to master them do them in their sleep.
 
Anyone else taking Biochem this summer? I emailed the professor because I haven't taken Orgo yet and he said that he focuses a lot more on Bio so not to worry. Not sure how much Gen Chem I would need to know though.

Also, if anyone's interested in playing tennis as a nice study break before class, send me a message. There are some courts right by the Cambridge Public Library, 5 minutes from the Science Center.

You don't need orgo. The chemistry you'll need to know is mainly thermodynamics, mainly Gibbs free energy-related stuff and some basic acid/base chemistry. Otherwise, there's not much chemistry to know. Orgo is helpful, but not necessary.


It's extremely tough, but doable depending on your tolerance for pain and sleep depravation. I'm glad I took it when I did though.



For what it's worth, the older AAMC FLs are not indicative of the current examination. AAMC11, and maybe parts of 10, are the only official material that accurately represents the difficulty, format and question types you can expect to see on your exam. They're great for getting used to the format and delivery of the exam, but I don't feel they're as accurate as they once were.

Good luck in your prep.

I thought 7-11 were all fairly accurate representations of the difficulty of the exam (the one I took, anyway), and 3-5 were easier. BR has no easy questions, whereas the actual MCAT will have a few easy questions thrown in. Verbal is pretty much the same all across, and I felt that unless one has never read a book in their life, then outside reading was virtually worthless. Whatever outside reading I did was just what I normally did for pleasure. The best prep I got for verbal was just doing verbal passages.
 
Last edited:
Definitely not the end of the world. I'd just be careful moving forward and be honest with yourself. Even working part time hours can be tough depending on your job and how well you manage time. I work about 20 hours and take two classes, and I find this to be mostly doable, but difficult when I have to prep for exams. Sure there are some people who do way more, but there are some extraordinary people at HES and on this thread.

In terms of working ahead, you can buy the books and work through chapter problems. For physics, it seems a lot is learned through the book. For chem, the book will probably tell you more than you need to know. You could also get a tutor for both classes if you were especially ambitious. Tutors should have practice exams and practice problems to help you prepare. David Abbruzzese tutors for both classes, and has been at it for a while. I used him once for Chem, and it seemed to help. Robert Cruikshank has been mentioned as a good tutor for physics.

Agreed. You can manage it and to be frank, if you can't, you may wan to rethink this path. For physics just come to my section, I'll set ya straight.

Start preparing for the first exam in physics by reading the relevent chapters (1-4 or whatever) and carefully reading the in-book example problem explanations, and do every single back of the book odd problem twice. Until you can get them right without referring back to the chapter.

Do problem after problem after problem after problem!!! This is the strategy for physics, general and organic chemistry. For physics start working giambatista book problems but for gen chem don't do book problems but master all of the assigned problems.

Don't try to prepare for the whole semester's content, just prepare for the first exam.

The single best thing you can do for yourself in physics is to do well on the first midterm (this goes for both semesters). Not having to crawl uphill it a massive mental boost.

I thought 7-11 were all fairly accurate representations of the difficulty of the exam (the one I took, anyway), and 3-5 were easier. BR has no easy questions, whereas the actual MCAT will have a few easy questions thrown in. Verbal is pretty much the same all across, and I felt that unless one has never read a book in their life, then outside reading was virtually worthless. Whatever outside reading I did was just what I normally did for pleasure. The best prep I got for verbal was just doing verbal passages.

Agreed on VR. Luckily I was scoring 11-12s on all of my AAMC VR sections, because it didn't move up or down from there.
 
Hi all,

I have learned about HCP quite recently and am considering applying to start (hopefully) this fall. I would be working full-time, as well, and am wondering how feasible it would be to take two classes a semester on top of a full-time job. Do most people tend to only work part-time while in this program? Is there anyone on here who did two classes a semester while working full-time and did you find it manageable? It's also been a number of years since I've taken any science, so I want to make sure I have enough time to dedicate to it.

One other question... I read somewhere that it's generally good to have some hospital volunteer work or other medical experience before applying to Post-Bacc programs. Is that true of HCP? I am hoping to do some volunteering this summer, but I'm not sure if I will have started that before I apply. Just curious if it would make a significant difference.

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I have learned about HCP quite recently and am considering applying to start (hopefully) this fall. I would be working full-time, as well, and am wondering how feasible it would be to take two classes a semester on top of a full-time job. Do most people tend to only work part-time while in this program? Is there anyone on here who did two classes a semester while working full-time and did you find it manageable? It's also been a number of years since I've taken any science, so I want to make sure I have enough time to dedicate to it.

One other question... I read somewhere that it's generally good to have some hospital volunteer work or other medical experience before applying to Post-Bacc programs. Is that true of HCP? I am hoping to do some volunteering this summer, but I'm not sure if I will have started that before I apply. Just curious if it would make a significant difference.

Thanks!

My recommendation would be to contact the program director, Dr. Fixsen asap. He will have some advice regarding working and taking classes. More importantly, you should find out if HCP is still taking applications for next fall. Last year around this time, they were no longer accepting apps. Even if the application cycle is closed, you can enroll at HES and apply for HCP the following year. Most people mainly want sponsorship through HCP in their second year, although there are some other benefits to being in the program.

I wouldn't tell you not to work full time and take two classes. Some people manage two classes and working full time, but ultimately, everybody is different. I'm not sure I can speak for most people here. If you have a stronger math background, physics and chem might come a little easier. My generic advice would be to ease into your first semester/year by working part time if you're taking two classes. The classes here are pretty time intensive. 4 credits is more like 6 credits elsewhere.

I don't think the timing of your volunteer experience will jeopardize your HCP acceptance, but it's good to start that as soon as you can. Best of luck!
 
My recommendation would be to contact the program director, Dr. Fixsen asap. He will have some advice regarding working and taking classes. More importantly, you should find out if HCP is still taking applications for next fall. Last year around this time, they were no longer accepting apps. Even if the application cycle is closed, you can enroll at HES and apply for HCP the following year. Most people mainly want sponsorship through HCP in their second year, although there are some other benefits to being in the program.

I wouldn't tell you not to work full time and take two classes. Some people manage two classes and working full time, but ultimately, everybody is different. I'm not sure I can speak for most people here. If you have a stronger math background, physics and chem might come a little easier. My generic advice would be to ease into your first semester/year by working part time if you're taking two classes. The classes here are pretty time intensive. 4 credits is more like 6 credits elsewhere.

I don't think the timing of your volunteer experience will jeopardize your HCP acceptance, but it's good to start that as soon as you can. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciated!
 
I have heard that some people do just fine taking 2 classes and working full time. I personally have found it challenging and my grades have suffered. At first, it was fine and I budgeted my time fairly well, then I got a little behind having back to back exams and it has been very hard to catch up again. The classes are time intensive. I generally leave my house for work at 750am and don't get home until between 930 and 10pm, sometimes later. Keep in mind that that you have lecture 6-9 Tues and Thurs if you plan to take chem and physics, and chem has a 3 hour lab pretty much every week (except exam weeks) and 1 hour section, physics had 5 labs over the semester that are about 3 hours and a 1 hour section each week. It adds up fast. I would definitely say ease yourself into it if you can, or be sure you can budget your time well and are fine with long days. My other piece of advice, brush up on your general algebra and trig skills before physics...it will make your life easier. These classes are challenging and require more time and effort than you might expect. All that said, there are GREAT TFs who want to help you succeed and are willing to help which is awesome!
 
Bio exam ... ehh. thought it was challenging.

Agreed. In a way though, I think he had to make it challenging to try and bring down the overall mean since the second midterm/PSET average was 90.

The overall avg could end up being pretty high, somewhere in the 80s, so it'll be interesting to see how he curves things since he said he'd make the average a B-. If someone who has an 84 overall gets a B-, that seems pretty unfair.

I liked the class overall but absolutely hated the format of his tests this semester. I rocked the practice exams with the old format but lost so many random points with the new/all free response answers format. They ask you to precise but they ask a very general question where you can write 10 right things but if they aren't the four or five bullet points he has listed, you lose a point for each one.

When do grades come out btw?
 
Agreed. In a way though, I think he had to make it challenging to try and bring down the overall mean since the second midterm/PSET average was 90.

The overall avg could end up being pretty high, somewhere in the 80s, so it'll be interesting to see how he curves things since he said he'd make the average a B-. If someone who has an 84 overall gets a B-, that seems pretty unfair.

I liked the class overall but absolutely hated the format of his tests this semester. I rocked the practice exams with the old format but lost so many random points with the new/all free response answers format. They ask you to precise but they ask a very general question where you can write 10 right things but if they aren't the four or five bullet points he has listed, you lose a point for each one.

When do grades come out btw?

I totally agree. I like the old format of the tests better. When they ask an open ended question you can go on forever. It's difficult to be concise, which is why I tore through the final at 100 mph and I don't even remember most of it. I do remember being surprised by a lot of the topics that were brought up. They seemed to be minor topics as compared to major ones. I also expected more questions about the last 4 lectures.
 
I thought the bio exam was challenging. But the orgo exam last night was the hardest exam I've taken here. Oh well it's finally done. Grades should be out in 3-4 weeks.

What are everyone's summer plans?
 
The extension school calendar says grades come out May 29th. Usually they come out a day or two before. Either way they should be out soon. Not checking until I get back from my trip in June.
 
I thought the bio exam was challenging. But the orgo exam last night was the hardest exam I've taken here. Oh well it's finally done. Grades should be out in 3-4 weeks.

What are everyone's summer plans?

Hardest exam bar non, but the TFs confirmed that it was extremely dificult.
 
This was true this year as well. There is no way exam C was a prior final, every question was presented in a way we hadn't seen before.

I agree. I thought the actual gen chem final was pretty doable. It seems like the trend was to hit us harder on the midterms both semesters, and give us easier finals.

I liked the class overall but absolutely hated the format of his tests this semester. I rocked the practice exams with the old format but lost so many random points with the new/all free response answers format. They ask you to precise but they ask a very general question where you can write 10 right things but if they aren't the four or five bullet points he has listed, you lose a point for each one.

Agreed. In theory free response should give you a chance to show what you know. I just didn't like how rigidly the graders adhered to his answer key. I can imagine a Bio PhD taking his class and writing down correct information on an exam, but losing tons of points because she didn't say exactly what he had in his answer key and/or didn't memorize his lecture slides verbatim.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So mad that I missed this.

I deleted my post because I decided I was going to just throw everything away. I have to clean out my room by tomorrow and I didn't want to leave all of the books unboxed. I have everything I listed in two boxes and if you read my post before I deleted it and you want anything or everything then I'd br glad to give it away rather than toss it.
 
I deleted my post because I decided I was going to just throw everything away. I have to clean out my room by tomorrow and I didn't want to leave all of the books unboxed. I have everything I listed in two boxes and if you read my post before I deleted it and you want anything or everything then I'd br glad to give it away rather than toss it.

I thought maybe it was a good venting against the bio program 🙂
 
How did you guys feel about bio this year? I'm taking it this fall. There were different profs each semester if I'm not mistaken this year. Any general thoughts or tips you might share?
 
Hardest exam bar non, but the TFs confirmed that it was extremely dificult.

I thought that exam was Brandon's cruel, cruel departing joke...

Good to know it wasn't just me. Last year's orgo final was by far the most difficult exam I'd taken at the extension school. I see that the tradition lives on.

I always thought the magic happened when you drop acid. Guess I need to take Orgo. Ha, good luck everybody on finals.

:laugh:

Take orgo and you can make magic happen either way
 
I'm thinking about renting my book for Chem. this summer...its the introductory course, 1ab. Would renting be ok, or do I need to purchase for any reason...such as reference, etc.

Thanks!
 
I'm thinking about renting my book for Chem. this summer...its the introductory course, 1ab. Would renting be ok, or do I need to purchase for any reason...such as reference, etc.

Thanks!

Would you be able to buy a used copy? If so, have you considered the price differential for buying used and selling back vs. just renting? If all else equal, buying used and then selling back can be a better option because 1) you have the option of keeping it if you decide you want it, and 2) you don't have the risk of something coming up that prevents you from returning the rental on time and having to pay a late fee.
 
I'm thinking about renting my book for Chem. this summer...its the introductory course, 1ab. Would renting be ok, or do I need to purchase for any reason...such as reference, etc.

Thanks!

Buy a used older edition for under 10 bucks. You likely won't need it again, but it'll still be cheaper than renting.
 
Good to know it wasn't just me. Last year's orgo final was by far the most difficult exam I'd taken at the extension school. I see that the tradition lives on.

I seriously don't get the need to screw us over like that.
I am still so mad about that exam. I'd never taken a class where endless amount of work put in made little difference in the end result. It just kills whatever interest in orgo I may have inadvertently developed. Ugh.
 
I seriously don't get the need to screw us over like that.
I am still so mad about that exam. I'd never taken a class where endless amount of work put in made little difference in the end result. It just kills whatever interest in orgo I may have inadvertently developed. Ugh.

It was a really tough exam. I wouldn't worry too much about it. In my opinion, they either have to grade leniently on the exam or lower the cut-off for final grades because I'm gonna assume almost everyone found the exam really difficult and didn't do well on it. In both semesters I don't recall getting a synthesis wrong. I have gotten points off for stupid things like not numbering 1&2 steps or not putting 1 eq. when I should have but I have always gotten syntheses but on the final I couldn't crack Da Vinci's code on I think two of them. I also couldn't get a curved arrow mech and a few box problems. I know for a fact I should get A LOT of points off but I'm hoping that they will be lenient and my grade didn't take a hit.

I did try to show as much work as possible and some retro-synthetic analysis. Simple stuff like I know product had an aldol in there. Try to get as much partial credit as possible. I was in such a time crunch I was freaking out. That N2 mech was nasty. I made N2 leave first then decarboxylated to form benzyne but ran out of time...... Hopefully that first part is right. Several friend I know left pages blank. The test was something else... Only a few weeks and we'll see how nice/mean they are.
 
If anyone is looking to pick up the "Orgo as a second language" books I have both semesters (marked) for sale.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Doing Orgo as a second language before the first day of class will make first semester of orgo so much easier than it has to be. If you have the time and motivation I highly encourage those of you taking orgo next year to slowly work through the book. I had a lot of time last summer so I read each chapter once. Then re-read and did all of the problems and carefully checked answers. I was bored for the first half of the class because I was already familiar with the basics. Orgo really is a different language but doing the book really helped.

Orgo is a great class and I learned a ton about chemistry. Wish I had the time and money to take the experimental summer class.
 
I seriously don't get the need to screw us over like that.
I am still so mad about that exam. I'd never taken a class where endless amount of work put in made little difference in the end result. It just kills whatever interest in orgo I may have inadvertently developed. Ugh.

Why does it kill all interest? I personally feel like an easy final would have been an insult. Yes, some of the problems were difficult and new, but when have Brandon and Logan been unfair with grading? You will receive a grade commensurate to the work you put in.

Your academic career is going to be plagued with difficult exams. If you show up for your re-certification exam after 10 years of working as an attending physician and you find it difficult will you suddenly lose interest in your field?
 
Why does it kill all interest? I personally feel like an easy final would have been an insult. Yes, some of the problems were difficult and new, but when have Brandon and Logan been unfair with grading? You will receive a grade commensurate to the work you put in.

Your academic career is going to be plagued with difficult exams. If you show up for your re-certification exam after 10 years of working as an attending physician and you find it difficult will you suddenly lose interest in your field?

No offense, but please save the lecturing for someone else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not lecturing, asking.

I'm with johnnyscans. Tough tests suck but they give you an opportunity to show the hard work that you've put in. I don't think it was meant to screw us over. As long as 1. the faculty & TFs are there for the students as they learn, which they very much are in Orgo; and 2. The grading is reasonable (fingers crossed on this one). Easy test / hard test, I can't complain as long as those criteria are met.
 
Not lecturing, asking.

Alright. I don't think there should be any parallels drawn between interest in a subject based on single class exposure and interest in a field based on 10 years of practice. So I doubt that I will suddenly lose interest in my field after a tough exam.

Look, your assumption that I am frustrated with the class because I don't know how to or am not willing to study enough for it is...well, just that, an assumption. I haven't missed a single lecture or review, completed every problem ever given to us, aced all midterms and psets; yes, I expected to breeze through the final like I did in other classes. So when after all that I find myself pulling my hair out during the final and never wanting to see another orgo problem again, sure I'm frustrated. You seemed to share those frustrations just a few months ago, glad to see things changed so drastically for you.

I never said that grading was unfair, but I do think that the exams themselves could use some help. When in the same course, within the same semester, everyone gets an A on one exam but finds another the hardest one they've ever taken (esp. when it's worth 30% of their grade), I question the inconsistency and unpredictability of it.
In any case, all this is nothing but a reflection of my own experience.
 
I'm sure Sciengee put in a lot of hard work and did reasonably well on the test compared to the class on average. The test was on another level compared to all of our previous exams/practice problems. It was probably meant to be the great divider in terms of grades and probably most of us here hung in there with the best of em. Like I said, I talked with several "strong" students in the class and even they left pages blank/couldn't solve some problems. Hoping for the best 👍
 
How did you guys feel about bio this year? I'm taking it this fall. There were different profs each semester if I'm not mistaken this year. Any general thoughts or tips you might share?

I can give you some pros and cons for the course with both professor, but I'll refrain from giving too much advice since I likely ended up B+ or A- this semester. Generally speaking, with Anderson memorizing lecture slides was sort of the formula to do well. Many people created flashcards to memorize the details. I'm honestly not sure there is/was a surefire formula to ace Bio with Roehrig, although it's probable that somebody on SDN got an outright A in her class and was keeping silent. Anybody?

Some Pros: I felt like a learned a lot of information in Bio both semesters. Both Dr. Anderson and Dr. Roehrig were knowledgeable and competent as professors, and they stimulated critical thinking about the material. True these are probably the bare minimum requirements for professors, but they count for something.

Some Cons: I think most people who disliked the course had gripes about the grading. Because the course is curved you are limited by the abilities and study habits of your peers, and by the percent at which they draw the cutoffs for grades. I think if the cutoffs were more generous, people would have given both the profs better reviews, and forgiven some of their specific flaws which are in and of themselves somewhat significant:

Roehrig Cons: She was not very clear in some of her lectures, and this often required that we clarify matters vis-à-vis the discussion forum or the book. Her problem sets and exams were not reviewed for errors and typos. She came off as condescending at times, and did not often give us the benefit of the doubt as the highly motivated intelligent post baccs that we truly are. Her exams had some questions which either did not make sense or were difficult to interpret. Her exams got longer and harder as the semester went on, hard to predict this...

Anderson Cons: He was very deliberate and slow at times in explaining things. It was easy to lose interest during lectures unless you got yourself psyched before you came. He was not very willing to help out with questions, and seemed to have much less involvement in how his course was run than Dr. Roehrig. His exam grading was based on keywords that he thought were essential to the question, but you might not have thought so

Now the good, to be fair to both of them

Roehrig Pros: Was dedicated to answering questions, and seemed mildly excited about teaching, at least early in the semester. She admitted when she made mistakes and made some adjustments throughout the course. She was at least capable of fabricating her niceness at times, and this suggests she maybe actually cared about us at students.

Anderson Pros: He had a sense of humor (random Larry King mugshot, what in the flying f...) and this occasionally livened up the lectures. He was pretty clear and to the point. He often let us out early. He did not give us useless assignments, and left us a lot of time to study.

Overall, would I take the course with either prof a-la carte? Hell No! But if I were already in the HCP program and/or considering the HCP program, I think there are ways to get through it and salvage a decent grade.
 
I should add even if you are in the HCP program, you don't necessarily have to take Bio here. I don't want to plant ideas in people's heads, but you won't get kicked out of HCP if you take Bio at BU or Umass Boston, etc. It's more a matter of how many credits you need to qualify for sponsorship, and how much you care about the diploma-if you're doing that. I would just be really careful if you take Bio elsewhere that the course will be rigorous to prepare you for the MCAT, that the school will have a favorable reputation, and that the course has received stellar reviews which you can objectively compare to HES.

Part of the reason I bring this up is that I wouldn't want Bio to deter folks from coming to HCP.
 
Last edited: