Official Harvard Extension 2015 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, I'm starting at HES this fall to finish up about half of the med school requirements. The main ones I have left are orgo, physics and some up div courses to hopefully pad my GPA (majored in psych and lit so that covers the other prereqs). Given that I'll be a full time student and maybe getting in some volunteering/clinical hours, would this schedule be feasible?

Fall: (orgo I + lab), (phys I + lab), [1 or 2 up div courses]

Spring: orgo II + lab, phys II + lab, [1 or 2 up div courses]

I spoke to Dr. Fixsen and he said I'd need at least 32 credits to qualify for sponsorship, which I figured is fine since I really need to boost my sGPA (>3.0)

Also, does anyone know if classes and labs etc. are on the HES campus or on the main campus? Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I'm starting at HES this fall to finish up about half of the med school requirements. The main ones I have left are orgo, physics and some up div courses to hopefully pad my GPA (majored in psych and lit so that covers the other prereqs). Given that I'll be a full time student and maybe getting in some volunteering/clinical hours, would this schedule be feasible?

I spoke to Dr. Fixsen and he said I'd need at least 32 credits to qualify for sponsorship, which I figured is fine since I really need to boost my sGPA (>3.0)

Also, does anyone know if classes and labs etc. are on the HES campus or on the main campus? Thanks for any info!

Orgo and physics are two tough classes. Unless you have a background in those courses, adding any upper division courses on top of that is risking a compromised performance. I would recommend you take just orgo and physics, then tack on one upper division class in the J-term. But this is what I would do, as someone who had no prior background in organic or physics.

Pre-req classes, labs, discussion sessions etc. are in the science building on the main campus. There is no HES campus per se. There is the Extension School library in Sever Hall, located in Harvard Yard (main campus), and the Extension School building located on Church St. just across the street from Harvard Yard. There are computer labs with free printing in either the library or Church St. building; make sure to go and get an access card.

Anyone still looking for an apt/roommate in the Boston area? I applied late & am having a bitch of a time trying to pin something down on Craigslist....

Also, any new students or veterans interested in meeting up some time in August to have a little pre-Fall powwow? :)
I am! And YES, great idea of having a powwow. I just decided to attend HES in the fall and the housing situation is quite terrifying, especially not knowing the area or anyone in it. Did you get something reasonable figured out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken STAT E-102 Fundamentals of Biostatistics with either Ethan Fosse or Bernard Rosner? They're the two professors teaching for Fall and Spring. Would really like some input if you have taken either of their classes. Math isn't my strongest subject and it really helps if the professor is organized/ helpful.

Edit: I would also be open to taking STAT E-100 Introduction to Quantitative Methods for the Social Sciences and Humanities, although it is an online course with the option to attend meetings. Not sure if this will count toward my pre-med requirement though.

Last edited:
I have a copy of Maitland Jones/Fleming's Organic Chemistry Textbook (4th ed.) and Zubrick's Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual (7th ed.) that I used last year for Orgo if anyone wants them - I'm doing some cleaning out. They are not the most current editions but I didn't notice anything much different between them and the current ones when I used them this past year. I also still have Fall 2014 Organic Lab Procedures book from the program if anyone wants that, although the labs may have changed somewhat. Send me a message if you are in the area and want them (yes, free).

HI!
does anyone know if admitted students to the health careers program receive federal loans to cover housing expenses?

Hey guys! I'm planning on taking courses at HES this semester and I'm definitely take intro to biochem. I'm torn between taking neurobio with Magnotti or human pathophysiology I with shore and Sieber. Anyone have any suggestions or know anything about the professors?

I am! And YES, great idea of having a powwow. I just decided to attend HES in the fall and the housing situation is quite terrifying, especially not knowing the area or anyone in it. Did you get something reasonable figured out?

Hey!! Sorry, just saw this, I've been a little scattered with work & prepping for classes. To answer your question, no, I don't really have anything worked out. I've been emailing mobs of ppl on Craigslist and I drove up to Boston this past weekend (9 hr drive) to look at places but nothing materialized. I didn't get to look at many, but they all were a mix of either way too expensive, too far away, or too weird of a living situation. I have one last place I'm waiting to hear back about and then I'll do another round of emails on Craiglist...Feel free to pm me if you want to know more. I've been able to get a good sense of the neighborhoods & transpo issues from visiting my bf who lives near Boston

A few questions that I was hoping you great HES students could answer:
  • I assume people take two classes per semester (ex. Bio I and Physics I in the Fall, and Bio II and Physics II in the Spring). So what does a typical schedule look like since most classes are night classes? Does each class meet twice per week? Are you in class Monday to Thursday from like 7 to 10PM? Do labs take place on weekends or weekdays?
  • Are the prerequisite premed courses (Bio, Chem, Orgo, Physics) offered in the summer as well? If so, is it just one semester crammed into the summer or both semesters? For example, Bio I or Bio II over the summer. Are they at night too?
  • Are all classes available every semester? For example, taking Bio I in the Spring then taking Bio II in the Fall?
  • How easy is it to sign up for classes if you are not part of the Premedical Program? Is there usually space?
  • How big is each class? I ask because I wonder how difficult it would be to get a LOR in a large class.
Thanks a bunch in advance!

Anyone still looking for an apt/roommate in the Boston area? I applied late & am having a bitch of a time trying to pin something down on Craigslist....

Also, any new students or veterans interested in meeting up some time in August to have a little pre-Fall powwow? :)

perpetualstdnt, dscoggs, CreateWriteHeal, Grovesmanorcourt & any others, I am also into the idea of a pre-fall powwow. Moving into a place in Somerville with my gf Aug. 1 and hoping to mass a small contingent of friends for moral support and the occasional study/commiseration session for the next year(s) of our lives.

That said, come August, if any of you need help moving in or looking for places, I can be bought for the price of a beverage.

A few questions that I was hoping you great HES students could answer:
  • I assume people take two classes per semester (ex. Bio I and Physics I in the Fall, and Bio II and Physics II in the Spring). So what does a typical schedule look like since most classes are night classes? Does each class meet twice per week? Are you in class Monday to Thursday from like 7 to 10PM? Do labs take place on weekends or weekdays?
  • Are the prerequisite premed courses (Bio, Chem, Orgo, Physics) offered in the summer as well? If so, is it just one semester crammed into the summer or both semesters? For example, Bio I or Bio II over the summer. Are they at night too?
  • Are all classes available every semester? For example, taking Bio I in the Spring then taking Bio II in the Fall?
  • How easy is it to sign up for classes if you are not part of the Premedical Program? Is there usually space?
  • How big is each class? I ask because I wonder how difficult it would be to get a LOR in a large class.
Thanks a bunch in advance!

Hey,

So I just finished two years at HES, and worked full time for all of it. This last year, I did orgo and physics, and this was my schedule:

Monday: Physics lab 6-9pm, every other week
Tuesday: Physics lecture, 6-9pm
Wednesday: Orgo section, 6-7pm; physics section 7-8
Thursday: Orgo lecture, 6-9pm
Friday: Orgo review lecture (optional, but not really), 5:30-7pm
Saturday: Orgo lab 9am-12 or 1 pm every other week.

The year before was pretty much the same, except bio is 1.5 hours 2x a week (Monday and Wednesday). Gen chem is Thursdays 6-9pm.

All classes have sections that meet for 1 hour a week outside of class, as well as a lab that is typically scheduled for 3 hours. There are multiple options for section and lab times, so you can chose when to do these to some degree (I did almost all my labs and sections on weeknights).

Pre-requisites can be taken over the summer, but they are HARD. It's both semesters crammed into seven weeks, so you'll be living and breathing whatever subject you take. These classes are NOT at night. Summer orgo, for example, is Monday Tuesday Wednesday 8:30-11 and Thursday Friday 8:30-10:45. You also have a required hour of section every day, 2 hours of required review on Friday, and labs are I think weekly. That being said, there are other less grueling classes you can take over the summer. I did summer biochem, and it was great. Tuesday Thursday 6:30-9:30 pm, and the few labs we had were scheduled during class time.

No, not all classes are available every semester. The first half of the course is only offered in the fall, and the second half is only offered in the spring.

Your status as an official member of the health careers program is pretty irrelevant to your ability to register for classes. I often waited until the last minute, and none of the classes I needed were ever full.

The classes are huge lecture style classes, but if you're gunning for a recommendation, there are SO many opportunities outside of class to get to know not only the professor, but the TFs and lab TFs, who will contribute to your recommendation should you ask for one. Take advantage of your professor's office hours, and really get to know your TFs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

So I did orgo and physics while working full time, while my friend did orgo/physics/A&P. He thought it was a very manageable workload. Me, not so much. Also, orgo is not a GPA boosting class.

perpetualstdnt, dscoggs, CreateWriteHeal, Grovesmanorcourt & any others, I am also into the idea of a pre-fall powwow. Moving into a place in Somerville with my gf Aug. 1 and hoping to mass a small contingent of friends for moral support and the occasional study/commiseration session for the next year(s) of our lives.

That said, come August, if any of you need help moving in or looking for places, I can be bought for the price of a beverage.

Awesome, good to know!! I'm sure we can all work something out to meet up. A moral support/commiseration group will come in handy ;) I just closed on an apt in Somerville as well, but unfortunately my move-in isn't until August 27th...beats the stupid sept 1 standard Boston move-in though!

Members don't see this ad :)
HES noobs and veterans: how important is it for a totally new student (read: minimal science bckgrnd) to stick to the proposed curriculum of Physics+Chem w/labs for first semester?? I already resisted for these classes, but I'm thinking I would much rather take Chem I and Bio I with labs to start and take Physics maybe second year? Any thoughts?

HES noobs and veterans: how important is it for a totally new student (read: minimal science bckgrnd) to stick to the proposed curriculum of Physics+Chem w/labs for first semester?? I already resisted for these classes, but I'm thinking I would much rather take Chem I and Bio I with labs to start and take Physics maybe second year? Any thoughts?

Do whatever you think will work best for you. I think Bio+Chem first year is the best plan, because that lets you take summer BioChem and then fall Orgo the following year (actually I think the optimal plan is summer chem -> fall bio/physics -> summer biochem -> fall orgo+whatever else you need, but too late for that at this point). It's probably helpful to have taken bio and biochem prior to taking orgo.

Do whatever you think will work best for you. I think Bio+Chem first year is the best plan, because that lets you take summer BioChem and then fall Orgo the following year (actually I think the optimal plan is summer chem -> fall bio/physics -> summer biochem -> fall orgo+whatever else you need, but too late for that at this point). It's probably helpful to have taken bio and biochem prior to taking orgo.

This is super helpful, thank you!!

Also, Bio and Orgo are probably the hardest and most time-intensive classes at HES, so it makes sense to split them up for that reason as well.

Also, Bio and Orgo are probably the hardest and most time-intensive classes at HES, so it makes sense to split them up for that reason as well.

I totally agree. Going into the program I read a lot about how physics is really hard at HES and I thought it was going to be the toughest class there. Of course it depends on the person, but from my experience bio and orgo were the toughest. So yeah that does make sense!

Selling Gen chem, biochemistry, organic chemistry, and physics textbooks for cheap if any of you happen to be interested!

Hello all,

I have been looking into the program a lot and I wanted to ask a question for those of you that are more knowledgeable of it. Basically, I have already finished my bachelors and have been working for almost a year now as a scribe (I'm actually a scribe manager). I finished with a 3.5 GPA, but didn't score so well on my MCAT. My school also offers a committee letter, but I never really found it helpful to go to my teacher's office so getting letters of recommendation from them has not been an easy feat. All in all, I feel that my application would not be the strongest at the point and I'm not willing to go to a caribbean school.

Regardless, I was thinking of applying for the HES program since it's been my lifelong dream to go to Harvard. Would I be someone they would accept into the HES program? If so, would this increase my chances of getting into Harvard med if I do well? Do you guys know of anyone in a situation similar to mine?

Thanks!

Anyone have an idea what (if any) access HES students have to Harvard's campus resources? I know extension doesn't have its own campus, so I was wondering if we'll be able to get access to the gym, libraries, health center, etc....

Also, I am currently so, so confused...In addition to being accepted into the "Premedical Program," do we also have the option to pursue an undergraduate or graduate diploma in "Premedical Studies"? I looked at all the degree programs back when I applied and it seemed like the only "science" degrees they had were in bio and random things; premedical was its own entity- a conglomerate of classes and a potential committee letter. I can't find info on a premedical "degree" program anywhere!

Also, I am currently so, so confused...In addition to being accepted into the "Premedical Program," do we also have the option to pursue an undergraduate or graduate diploma in "Premedical Studies"? I looked at all the degree programs back when I applied and it seemed like the only "science" degrees they had were in bio and random things; premedical was its own entity- a conglomerate of classes and a potential committee letter. I can't find info on a premedical "degree" program anywhere!

I think this program has gone through a handful of iterations, so in doing internet research you might read about certificates and degrees and whatnot. As far as I know, right now, there's no diploma or anything - you just do the classes, get a committee letter, and that's that.

I'm not sure about access to resources. I have a Harvard ID and it gets me into the Science Center library... Haven't tested it elsewhere!

Hello all,

I have been looking into the program a lot and I wanted to ask a question for those of you that are more knowledgeable of it. Basically, I have already finished my bachelors and have been working for almost a year now as a scribe (I'm actually a scribe manager). I finished with a 3.5 GPA, but didn't score so well on my MCAT. My school also offers a committee letter, but I never really found it helpful to go to my teacher's office so getting letters of recommendation from them has not been an easy feat. All in all, I feel that my application would not be the strongest at the point and I'm not willing to go to a caribbean school.

Regardless, I was thinking of applying for the HES program since it's been my lifelong dream to go to Harvard. Would I be someone they would accept into the HES program? If so, would this increase my chances of getting into Harvard med if I do well? Do you guys know of anyone in a situation similar to mine?

Thanks!

I assume you've finished all your pre-req's if you've taken the MCAT? If so, the program isn't really designed for you - I think it's unlikely that you would be sponsored by the program. Of course, you could still come here, take classes and get letters from the professors (but probably not the committee letter). But I think that might look kind of weird.

Having "Harvard Extension" written on your application almost certainly will not help at all for getting into HMS. However, connections you make here could potentially help a bit (I know people who are working in labs with HMS professors, etc).

Research positions during my post bac year?

I'm planning on doing

Fall: bio1 orgo1 + study mcat (volunteer weekends)

Spring: bio2 orgo2 biochem + study & take mcat (volunteer weekends)

Summer: apply
*no full-time employment as of yet,

And I am not sure if I should search for a research position for the fall, spring, summer (and possibly more).
I did do undergraduate research during my BS (in engineering, about 5, 6 years ago), and I hoped to find a bio/chemical related research position
but without bio1&2 under my belt, I'm thinking it will be hard for me to find a suitable position...

Also, is there a route or way the students typically find research positions?
Should I just keep posting coverletters and resumes to different hospitals around Boston?
It will be a HUGE help, please save a poor soul!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your cGPA

Does anybody know a reputable lender that will provide those type private loans needed for the Extension School? I made the mistake of just appliying to Sun Trust thinking they would approve anything "private" based on credit, but ended up just losing a few dozen points on my credit score for nothing, since they don't approve loans for non-admitted students. Then I started calling every lender I know and nobody lends to non-admitted students! I saw someone here recommed Loan to Learn, but I just can't figure out how to apply on their website (that looks like it's just a tool for current clients). Also, I would be scared to give private financial information to some sketchy "institution" like Loan to Learn! So, does anybody know a better option?

I'll be starting fresh at HES this fall as well and it'd be nice to meet to you all.

Also, is anyone else looking for a roommate? I'm moving from Los Angeles on the 21st so it has been a struggle trying to find a place while not physically in Boston yet.

For people who have taken Physics with Logan, do you have any tips for his class? I'm thinking of getting the textbook early. Thanks!

Last edited:
For people who have taken Physics with Logan, do you have any tips for his class? I'm thinking of getting the textbook early. Thanks!

The book is available for free (OpenStax). I used it for maybe the first 2 weeks of class, and after that didn't look at it for the rest of the Fall/Spring.

What worked for me was doing/understanding all of the section problems, all of the homework problems, and all of the exam practice problems. I never went to section, but the problems are posted online and I used them as additional practice before the tests. I was often kind of lost during class, but put the time in outside of class to learn the material. Help room is also really helpful.

Really, if you can work through and understand (key word being understand) all of the material they give you, there's almost no way you won't do well on the exams.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 1 or 2 classes (from list below) to take this semester (perhaps from the perspective of someone looking back who's in or been in med school => "looking back, I'm glad I took/I wish I would have taken..")? "Take what interests you" doesn't help much because there are a lot that are interesting! Any great professors, or ones who try to get to know you (i.e., helpful for recommendations)? I am also taking biochem.

Anatomy and physiology or pathophysiology might help for the MCAT. But, the A&P teacher doesn't have great reviews, so I am a little wary of taking that class. Maybe I could take pathophysio instead, but would not having taken A&P (recommended for pathophysio) mean I'd be really lost?

(from http://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/courses/subject/medical-sciences/e-mdsc):

BIOS E- 18 Evolution
BIOS E- 30 Epigenetics
BIOS E- 35 The RNA World
BIOS E- 40 Introduction to Proteomics
BIOS E- 50 Neurobiology
BIOS E- 65C Human Anatomy and Physiology I
BIOS E- 70 Introduction to Epidemiology
CHEM E- 100 Organic Chemistry of Drug Synthesis and Action
BIOS E- 129 Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology
BIOS E- 157 Viruses: Molecular Machines Persisting at the Boundaries of Life
BIOS E- 162A Human Pathophysiology I
BIOS E- 170 Introduction to Microscopy
BIOS E- 204 Developmental and Regenerative Biology

Also, re: MCAT test prep books, any recommendations, or are they all pretty similar?

Thank you!

So let's make this powwow happen. I'm thinking maybe Sat or Sun before classes (29/30)? It looks like GGWatson and I will be in Somerville, but I'm open to meeting up closer to wherever the majority of you are...Hopefully some beer and shared anxiety will make that lecture hall a little more welcoming come Monday ;)

So let's make this powwow happen. I'm thinking maybe Sat or Sun before classes (29/30)? It looks like GGWatson and I will be in Somerville, but I'm open to meeting up closer to wherever the majority of you are...Hopefully some beer and shared anxiety will make that lecture hall a little more welcoming come Monday ;)

I'll be out of town that weekend from Thurs - Monday but I'm around before or after. Anyone interested feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can all set something up.

The book is available for free (OpenStax). I used it for maybe the first 2 weeks of class, and after that didn't look at it for the rest of the Fall/Spring.

What worked for me was doing/understanding all of the section problems, all of the homework problems, and all of the exam practice problems. I never went to section, but the problems are posted online and I used them as additional practice before the tests. I was often kind of lost during class, but put the time in outside of class to learn the material. Help room is also really helpful.

Really, if you can work through and understand (key word being understand) all of the material they give you, there's almost no way you won't do well on the exams.

Thank you Gurby! That was really helpful. I may end up taking Biology with Denkin because it works with my schedule better, but I'll see the first week of classes. There aren't many reviews for him, and the ones that are posted on ratemyprofessor aren't too great so I'm a little intimidated.

I took Bio this past year. It's a long story, and you're right to be intimidated. Here is the scoop:

The lectures are broken up into modules of ~6 lectures each, with a different professor doing each module. So while Denkin is listed as the professor, there are actually 3 different people who will be teaching and then making up a test. This was kind of frustrating because it's hard to gauge what each prof's expectations will be, but whatever.

Last year, the course was pretty brutally difficult. A lot of people didn't like it, but I thought it was a good class in that it pushed me hard. I learned an outrageous amount, and the class really forced me to refine my studying techniques. Meeting people from other schools this summer, I was a bit blown away at how much more we had covered than they had. I think this will be a boon come MCAT time. I hope.

FWIW, around 1/3 of the class dropped out first semester after the 2nd test which was really difficult (there was some uproar, and the teacher who taught that section is no longer teaching the course). They refused to give us information about class averages, which was also really annoying, but I know some really smart people who got in the B range overall. I have a 4.0 in the post-bac so far, and barely squeaked by with an A after putting a pretty crazy amount of time into the class (summer biochem might have killed the 4.0 dream for me, we'll see in a few days...!).

Denkin was actually my favorite professor, because he literally taught straight from the book. Pretty much copy/paste presentations with maybe a few slides about some relevant topic thrown in here or there. This fit my learning style well -- my approach to the class was to read and learn the chapters first, make flash cards, and THEN review the lecture videos at 2x speed to make sure I didn't miss anything and to find out what the given professor thought was important to focus on (ie what would be on the test). I know some people found Denkin to be boring, but I didn't care because I was basically fast forwarding through anyways, and did the vast majority of my learning from the book.

Has anyone taken STAT E-102 Fundamentals of Biostatistics with either Ethan Fosse or Bernard Rosner? They're the two professors teaching for Fall and Spring. Would really like some input if you have taken either of their classes. Math isn't my strongest subject and it really helps if the professor is organized/ helpful.

Edit: I would also be open to taking STAT E-100 Introduction to Quantitative Methods for the Social Sciences and Humanities, although it is an online course with the option to attend meetings. Not sure if this will count toward my pre-med requirement though.

My friend took Biostats (not sure which prof) and he thought it was super easy. I don't think he found it particularly useful - kind of just another stats class. Meh.

If you're looking to fulfill math pre-req's and haven't taken calculus yet, I highly highly recommend Calculus 1 with Eric Towne. It was maybe the best class I've ever taken - possibly even better than Gen Chem with Tucci! I've never really been a math person, but I really truly actually had fun doing my homework and taking the tests. The class was extremely well organized and well taught.

It followed the usual formula for HES classes: "Here is a lecture on the material you need to know. Here are some practice problems about that material. Here is a practice test. Here is a real test that looks more or less like the practice test and covers the same material, but with a few novel ideas/applications for you to figure out to see if you truly understand what's going on".

I took Bio this past year. It's a long story, and you're right to be intimidated. Here is the scoop:

The lectures are broken up into modules of ~6 lectures each, with a different professor doing each module. So while Denkin is listed as the professor, there are actually 3 different people who will be teaching and then making up a test. This was kind of frustrating because it's hard to gauge what each prof's expectations will be, but whatever.

Last year, the course was pretty brutally difficult. A lot of people didn't like it, but I thought it was a good class in that it pushed me hard. I learned an outrageous amount, and the class really forced me to refine my studying techniques. Meeting people from other schools this summer, I was a bit blown away at how much more we had covered than they had. I think this will be a boon come MCAT time. I hope.

FWIW, around 1/3 of the class dropped out first semester after the 2nd test which was really difficult (there was some uproar, and the teacher who taught that section is no longer teaching the course). They refused to give us information about class averages, which was also really annoying, but I know some really smart people who got in the B range overall. I have a 4.0 in the post-bac so far, and barely squeaked by with an A after putting a pretty crazy amount of time into the class (summer biochem might have killed the 4.0 dream for me, we'll see in a few days...!).

Denkin was actually my favorite professor, because he literally taught straight from the book. Pretty much copy/paste presentations with maybe a few slides about some relevant topic thrown in here or there. This fit my learning style well -- my approach to the class was to read and learn the chapters first, make flash cards, and THEN review the lecture videos at 2x speed to make sure I didn't miss anything and to find out what the given professor thought was important to focus on (ie what would be on the test). I know some people found Denkin to be boring, but I didn't care because I was basically fast forwarding through anyways, and did the vast majority of my learning from the book.

Definitely sounds like a challenging class. I'm coming from a non-science background so I'm really hoping I won't be overwhelmed my first semester. Thank you for the input though, it's been really helpful in gaining insight to how the classes will be set up and taught. Do you know if classes are curved by any chance?

Last edited:
Definitely sounds like a challenging class. I'm coming from a non-science background so I'm really hoping I won't be overwhelmed my first semester. Thank you for the input though, it's been really helpful in gaining insight to how the classes will be set up and taught. Do you know if classes are curved by any chance?

Depends on the class, but generally not curved. In Bio when the class average was a ~60 on one of the tests, they gave everyone 10 points on it across the board (something like that). But usually they'll announce the grade cutoffs at the start of the semester. I don't think any of the core pre-req's is curved at this point. Summer Biochem kind of was curved, but it was a generous curve (he made the class average the cutoff between B and B+... But if class average was above 75, then 75 was the cutoff. So theoretically everyone could get an A).

When do most people take the MCAT here? Do you take it while you're still enrolled in HES pre-req courses and then apply that same summer for admission the next year?

Hey guys, I'm interested in applying next year for summer admission to HES. How difficult is it to get into research positions via professors at HES? I have no undergraduate research experience.

Hey everyone! I've been lurking around here for awhile and finally decided to post. I'm starting classes at HES this week as a DIY postbac student, with the goal of eventually getting into the formal program. I will be taking introductory BIO and CHEM this semester.

I'm curious, where are some good places for Extension students to study on the Harvard campus? I know HES students only have access to some Harvard resources. I'd rather not spend all of my time at the Starbucks. Any ideas?

If anyone is in intro to biochem or in human pathophys and wants to create a study group I would be very interested! :happy:

What type of GPA at HES HCP would you have to achieve in order to have a realistic shot at a top 20 med school?

How important are math courses as pre-requisites before taking HES science courses?

I was a social science major in college so I have no math or science under my belt since high school calculus. Would you recommend taking pre-calc or calc course before enrolling in HES? Or has extensive math been unnecessary? Are you allowed to take HES science courses if you didn't take pre-calc in undergrad?

What type of GPA at HES HCP would you have to achieve in order to have a realistic shot at a top 20 med school?

It really comes down more to other factors. A good GPA and high MCAT will get your foot in the door, but the more important factors will be your research, clinical exposure, volunteering and other EC's.

How important are math courses as pre-requisites before taking HES science courses?

I was a social science major in college so I have no math or science under my belt since high school calculus. Would you recommend taking pre-calc or calc course before enrolling in HES? Or has extensive math been unnecessary? Are you allowed to take HES science courses if you didn't take pre-calc in undergrad?

One thing I really like is that HES seems to have a general policy of "you're an adult, we trust you to make good decisions." You're pretty much "allowed" to do whatever you want. For instance, the calculus class I took here had a placement test... But it was optional, only provided so you could gauge whether your math skills were up to par. You take courses at your own peril - there isn't an artificial requirement in place to force you to take a math class if you could just as easily learn the material on your own.

Anyways... Being pretty strong in math is going to be important for chemistry and physics. I've seen people have a really hard time with these classes because their math skills were not up to snuff. If you feel confident in your ability to learn stuff on your own, Khan Academy should be fine. If you would feel better taking a course, I'm sure that wouldn't hurt. If you took calculus in high school, you'll probably be fine. Just brush up on your algebra, logarithms, systems of equations, etc. I guess it comes down to your own comfort/confidence level.

Last edited:
What combo works best for first year?
Chem + Physics?
Chem + Bio?
Bio + Physics?

Also, can those of you who worked 9AM-5PM (or 40+ hours per week) full-time jobs chime in? Were you able to take 2 courses while simultaneously working?

Last edited:
Chem + Physics?
Chem + Bio?
Bio + Physics?

Also, can those of you who worked 9AM-5PM (or 40+ hours per week) full-time jobs chime in? Were you able to take 2 courses while simultaneously working?

I've done Bio + Orgo and Physics + other science while workign 40 hours/week...it's doable, just really unpleasant and exhausting.​

Chem + Physics?
Chem + Bio?
Bio + Physics?

I think it depends on your strengths as a student. I've talked to some people who thought Physics was harder than Orgo. I can't really fathom how anyone could feel that way, but apparently some people do - I suppose for someone with weak math skills, maybe Gen Chem and Physics are more intimidating. My experience for difficulty and time required has been: Orgo = Bio > Physics > Gen Chem. So I personally would try to arrange the schedule to avoid having Bio and Orgo together. But if you're really worried about Physics, maybe it would be different for you.

I've done Bio + Orgo and Physics + other science while workign 40 hours/week...it's doable, just really unpleasant and exhausting.​

Beast! I feel like "unpleasant" is probably an understatement... Or maybe I'm just bad at Orgo (this is pretty likely).

You mean you did two courses (not four) a semester while working, correct?