Official Harvard Extension 2015 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmyshadow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting off the 2015 thread, as the 2014 one still has some stragglers :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

Has anyone in here taken Genetics at the extension school? We had our first class tonight due to snow cancellations, and it seems like a difficult course to do well in given Dr. Bieber's teaching style. Can anyone tell me what this course is like and what strategies have led to success in the past? Thanks!

Along those same lines, did anyone here take Calculus A (MATH E-15) last semester or last spring? PM me if so!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm planning to start classes at HES in the fall, probably will be moving to Cambridge in July or August. I know it's not a question directly related to courses or the school, but answers may be relevant for other out of state readers too. I plan on being a full time student, including ECs and all, so won't have a job, but can't get an acceptance right away to the premed program and will be taking classes without being officially enrolled for a while.

I don't want to live with a roommate, I'm older and my boyfriend plans to come visit often.

So my question is: how hard it is to rent an apartment in the area (not necessarily close to Harvard) without proof of income or letter of school acceptance? I make money as a freelancer and don't report much on my tax return, however, my credit score is excellent.

I'm asking this because while searching for apartments, I've come across a lot of horror stories of renting in the area, specially while trying to find something decent during the summer, right before school starts. Since most students don't work, come from other states and some at HES may be taking prereq classes without a letter of acceptance, how do people usually manage to rent a place?

Is everybody living with roommates?

2015 Done with Program Mega Sale!

I have the following things for sale:
Lab Grade Uvex Goggles from the COOP - $20 (Retail $38)
Clicker - $20 (Retail $35)
Molymod Organic Chem Model Set - $25 (Retail $40)
Life: The Science of Biology 10th Edition, 3 Hole Punched Edition. Great condition with some highlighting and underlining - $100 (Retail $180)

Also willing to ship in the US for an extra $15 for the flate rate shipping box via USPS. Send me a PM if you're interested or try and haggle with me. Thank you!

Hi All, I posted several months back (in the "newbie" section) about where I'm at, so hello again. I was going to go to UVM's postbac program, but after hearing about and getting into HES, I've basically changed my mind.

The main difference between UVM and HES that I see is that HES doesn't hold your hand as much through the admission to med school part- is this true? I'm fairly confident I'll be ok, but I get worried the extra support would be great. But I just can't spend 30,000 a year at UVM. Also I'm in an HES biology class (BIOS Eb) and it's excellent-

Which brings me to my next point. At the risk of sounding stupid, my grade in BIOS Eb is about a B, I have an A in the lab portion and got a C on the last test (only one so far). I'm pretty concerned about this. Does anyone have any study techniques they find particularly helpful? I've taken other biology courses a while back and scored very high, but I seemed to have lost my study skills and need to find them again.

Thoughts?

And lastly (thanks for sticking this out with me here, I'll try to return the favor someday on here), I work full-time as a mental health counselor at a hospital. Do people plan on working FT or PT in this program while taking 2+ classes? I'm thinking I can go down to PT or per diem and maybe I can build up to FT?

Thank you very much.

2015 Done with Program Mega Sale!

I have the following things for sale:
Lab Grade Uvex Goggles from the COOP - $20 (Retail $38)
Clicker - $20 (Retail $35)
Molymod Organic Chem Model Set - $25 (Retail $40)
Life: The Science of Biology 10th Edition, 3 Hole Punched Edition. Great condition with some highlighting and underlining - $100 (Retail $180)

Also willing to ship in the US for an extra $15 for the flate rate shipping box via USPS. Send me a PM if you're interested or try and haggle with me. Thank you!

Congrats on finishing the program! Have you started applying/into medical school? I hope so.

Also-I'm interested in the clicker. How many of the teachers at HES use these? The bio class I'm in doesn't require one. Also the chem model set- is this summer you use in organic only?

Thanks!

Hi All, I posted several months back (in the "newbie" section) about where I'm at, so hello again. I was going to go to UVM's postbac program, but after hearing about and getting into HES, I've basically changed my mind.

The main difference between UVM and HES that I see is that HES doesn't hold your hand as much through the admission to med school part- is this true? I'm fairly confident I'll be ok, but I get worried the extra support would be great. But I just can't spend 30,000 a year at UVM. Also I'm in an HES biology class (BIOS Eb) and it's excellent-

Which brings me to my next point. At the risk of sounding stupid, my grade in BIOS Eb is about a B, I have an A in the lab portion and got a C on the last test (only one so far). I'm pretty concerned about this. Does anyone have any study techniques they find particularly helpful? I've taken other biology courses a while back and scored very high, but I seemed to have lost my study skills and need to find them again.

Thoughts?

And lastly (thanks for sticking this out with me here, I'll try to return the favor someday on here), I work full-time as a mental health counselor at a hospital. Do people plan on working FT or PT in this program while taking 2+ classes? I'm thinking I can go down to PT or per diem and maybe I can build up to FT?

Thank you very much.

For study techniques, I always preach the spaced repetition gospel - look into Anki or Supermemo. I've found this to be extremely effective for classes (like bio) that require a lot of memorization. Fairly useful for chemistry, mostly useless for physics. I imagine it won't be all that useful for Orgo but we'll see.

For bio, my strategy is to read the chapters and flashcard them, then watch the lectures and flashcard anything I missed. Before the test, I go through all the practice problems and make sure I understand everything (adding flashcards as necessary if topics pop up that I haven't already covered). It's a lot of work, but so far so good.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody currently taking Bios E-60 aka Immunology? Looking for a study buddy..

For study techniques, I always preach the spaced repetition gospel - look into Anki or Supermemo. I've found this to be extremely effective for classes (like bio) that require a lot of memorization. Fairly useful for chemistry, mostly useless for physics. I imagine it won't be all that useful for Orgo but we'll see.

For bio, my strategy is to read the chapters and flashcard them, then watch the lectures and flashcard anything I missed. Before the test, I go through all the practice problems and make sure I understand everything (adding flashcards as necessary if topics pop up that I haven't already covered). It's a lot of work, but so far so good.

I love anki for memorizing stuff. It's amazing. But what I have not been successful so far is learning how to see the big picture using anki. I do a lot of fill in the blank, but I feel like I just end up learning what to fill the blanks in with rather than actually conceptualizing whatever concept I wanted to conceptualize. To get the big picture, I quiz myself to see if I know what is going on and if I don't I google or look through textbooks and take notes. Have you found a way to use anki to get the bigger picture?

I love anki for memorizing stuff. It's amazing. But what I have not been successful so far is learning how to see the big picture using anki. I do a lot of fill in the blank, but I feel like I just end up learning what to fill the blanks in with rather than actually conceptualizing whatever concept I wanted to conceptualize. To get the big picture, I quiz myself to see if I know what is going on and if I don't I google or look through textbooks and take notes. Have you found a way to use anki to get the bigger picture?

I do plenty of fill in the blank, but I try to include "big picture" type cards as well: "explain why X is beneficial", "how does X work?", "what would happen if X was defective?", "at the molecular/cellular/tissue/organ/organismal level, explain X". These cards break the "20 rules of formatting knowledge" or whatever, and they're a pain to review because they make you stop and think for a minute... But I think they're really useful.

Here are some cards I just created, as an example (strategic copy/paste from textbook, basically):

"Nocturnal animals such as deer and raccoons have an iridescent reflective layer behind their retinas. Why is this useful?"
"Cone cells are responsible for ..."
"... is why vision in dim light is mostly in shades of gray and acuity is low."
"Explain why sometimes at night you have trouble seeing something when you look directly at it, but you can see it with your peripheral vision"
"Color blindness in humans results from ..."
"Describe the organization of cells in the human retina"
"the direct flow of information in the retina is ... (from which cells to which cells?)"

I usually try to think about the big picture as I review the cards, too.

Last edited:
So I'm planning to start classes at HES in the fall, probably will be moving to Cambridge in July or August. I know it's not a question directly related to courses or the school, but answers may be relevant for other out of state readers too. I plan on being a full time student, including ECs and all, so won't have a job, but can't get an acceptance right away to the premed program and will be taking classes without being officially enrolled for a while.

I don't want to live with a roommate, I'm older and my boyfriend plans to come visit often.

So my question is: how hard it is to rent an apartment in the area (not necessarily close to Harvard) without proof of income or letter of school acceptance? I make money as a freelancer and don't report much on my tax return, however, my credit score is excellent.

I'm asking this because while searching for apartments, I've come across a lot of horror stories of renting in the area, specially while trying to find something decent during the summer, right before school starts. Since most students don't work, come from other states and some at HES may be taking prereq classes without a letter of acceptance, how do people usually manage to rent a place?

Is everybody living with roommates?

Hi! Massachusetts resident here (I live just outside Boston!) So I would say that it can be moderately difficult to rent a studio apartment in Cambridge without proof of income. However, some places will just ask for a credit check/references so you should be good there! I think if you're going through a realtor you may have a harder time, but if you look on Craigslist, there are some studios/1 bedrooms that don't require you to jump through too many hoops. Areas in Harvard Square are probably gonna cost you an arm/leg/your first born but if you look in the Brighton/Allston/Somerville areas which are relatively close to Cambridge you might be able to find something! I'd also suggest looking further away too! Harvard Square is easily accessible by the red line (subway route) so any place that is near red line stations is a straight shot into Harvard. Places like Dorchester and Quincy (where I live) can be DIRT cheap in comparison to Boston (I've found a reasonably nice apartment, albeit with roommates for $400) and since they're on the red line, it's like a 20-30 min ride to Harvard and you don't have to worry about switching subway lines/taking the bus routes.

If any of you guys have any other questions regarding Boston/moving to Cambridge/living situations, I'd be happy to answer them!

I do plenty of fill in the blank, but I try to include "big picture" type cards as well: "explain why X is beneficial", "how does X work?", "what would happen if X was defective?", "at the molecular/cellular/tissue/organ/organismal level, explain X". These cards break the "20 rules of formatting knowledge" or whatever, and they're a pain to review because they make you stop and think for a minute... But I think they're really useful.

Here are some cards I just created, as an example (strategic copy/paste from textbook, basically):

"Nocturnal animals such as deer and raccoons have an iridescent reflective layer behind their retinas. Why is this useful?"
"Cone cells are responsible for ..."
"... is why vision in dim light is mostly in shades of gray and acuity is low."
"Explain why sometimes at night you have trouble seeing something when you look directly at it, but you can see it with your peripheral vision"
"Color blindness in humans results from ..."
"Describe the organization of cells in the human retina"
"the direct flow of information in the retina is ... (from which cells to which cells?)"

I usually try to think about the big picture as I review the cards, too.

I haven't specifically done that, but I am going to take your suggestion. I like to draw outlines, charts, and diagrams to see how things fit together since I think I'm a visual learner, but I am going to try out your helpful advice! , but I don't know if it helps me visualize. I'm more of a visual learner.

I haven't specifically done that, but I am going to take your suggestion. I like to draw outlines, charts, and diagrams to see how things fit together since I think I'm a visual learner, but I am going to try out your helpful advice! , but I don't know if it helps me visualize. I'm more of a visual learner.

Put your outlines, charts and diagrams into anki/supermemo! For example:

Image_20.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i hadn't thought of that.. thank you! i forgot you can take pictures. gonna use that tip for my exams this week!

Anki is GREAT! Wow, super cool. Thanks! I've been doing that as much as I can for this upcoming exam and it's improved my grade dramatically -almost by a letter grade, and it hopefully will be at least letter grade with lots more studying tomorrow WOO! Probably would've improved it by tons more if I had more sit time with this stuff.

Thanks again! How are your studies coming along? Well I hope.

I was wondering if it is possible to just take classes at HES, but not be part of a program. Would I be allowed to talk with advisers and get a committee letter if I jsut took classes?

Anki is GREAT! Wow, super cool. Thanks! I've been doing that as much as I can for this upcoming exam and it's improved my grade dramatically -almost by a letter grade, and it hopefully will be at least letter grade with lots more studying tomorrow WOO! Probably would've improved it by tons more if I had more sit time with this stuff.

Thanks again! How are your studies coming along? Well I hope.

I think I'm ready - some of the practice problems were tough but the practice test was easy... We'll see!

I was wondering if it is possible to just take classes at HES, but not be part of a program. Would I be allowed to talk with advisers and get a committee letter if I jsut took classes?

You can take classes, and you can probably talk to the advisers too, but I wouldn't expect to be able to get a committee letter without officially being in the HCP program. There's still time to apply, or you could enroll in it next year (if you're going to take 2 years).

You can take classes, and you can probably talk to the advisers too, but I wouldn't expect to be able to get a committee letter without officially being in the HCP program. There's still time to apply, or you could enroll in it next year (if you're going to take 2 years).[/QUOTE]

Do you know if the HCP program costs extra money?

Do you know if the HCP program costs extra money?

$100 application fee, and you have to pay $500 for them to "sponsor" you and write a committee letter. You don't need to be in the program to take classes, but I imagine it might be a bit of a red flag if med schools are familiar with HES and you apply without a committee letter.... Maybe not though, I'm not sure.

I think I'm ready - some of the practice problems were tough but the practice test was easy... We'll see!

Well... It certainly wasn't easy!

Hey everyone! I will begin attending the HES Premedical program this fall but am moving to the area in the beginning of May. I am wondering if anyone knows of good job opportunities in the area to gain clinical experience? I have applied for several positions at Massachusetts General Hospital but would like to find other opportunities as well in case those positions do not work out. Thanks!

Hi everyone!
I've been lurking for some time on this forum and finally decided to post. I am very interested in the HES Premed program and my application was finally complete after my transcript was delayed. How long did you guys have to wait before hearing back about your acceptance? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I've been lurking for some time on this forum and finally decided to post. I am very interested in the HES Premed program and my application was finally complete after my transcript was delayed. How long did you guys have to wait before hearing back about your acceptance? Thanks!

I applied last year, so I may be off, but I think it was only a few weeks for me

Well... It certainly wasn't easy!

No.......... it wasn't. I thought I was well prepared, too.

Also, is anyone taking Orgo this year? I need to take one course along with Orgo 1 this fall, and was wondering what would be the most doable: Evolution, Epigenetics, Neuro, or Anatomy & Physiology?

Out of all of these, A&P interests me the most, but not sure if it will be too much with Orgo.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm writing to ask if anyone has any housing leads for the Cambridge area?

Previous posts have mentioned Porter, Davis, Harcard, Inman, Central Squares as areas to look into. Also, Cambridgeport, Somerville, Allston.

I am starting the program this summer with Orgo. For the summer, I have housing (in Grafton, which isn't terribly close, but I'm housesitting for my sister), but I would like to move closer to Cambridge once that is over so that I don't have a 2-hour commute each way during the school year. I am also looking for jobs in labs or hospitals in the Cambridge area, so it makes sense to try to find housing there, rather than continuing to commute to/from Grafton.

I am posting here because I know sometimes people may know of available housing that is "cheap," meaning <$600..I don't need much, just somewhere to sleep/study/store my stuff. Basically my criteria are proximity to school/work/ECs (no car) and price. BTW, please let me know if <$600 is really unreasonable! Or even $400??

Anyway, I just thought I would post here in case anyone has any advice or ideas for where to look, what prices I should expect, or if anyone is looking for (or knows someone who is looking for) a roommate.

Thank you!

Hello! I'm writing to ask if anyone has any housing leads for the Cambridge area?

I am posting here because I know sometimes people may know of available housing that is "cheap," meaning <$600..I don't need much, just somewhere to sleep/study/store my stuff. Basically my criteria are proximity to school/work/ECs (no car) and price. BTW, please let me know if <$600 is really unreasonable! Or even $400??

Thank you!

Have you considered Quincy? I live there and pay $400 a month and have a pretty spacious apartment. It's only about a 25 minute T-ride to MGH and about a 35 minute T-ride to Harvard.

Anyone attend the HES open house last summer or planning to attend the one (http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hub/events/attend-information-session) this year? I was debating visiting the campus next month while classes were still in session but looks like this will be more structured for Q&A with faculty.

Also, if any of you current students will be around that time (week of June 10) I would love to pick your brains about your experience from the lectures to the academic support to housing. In exchange, I can offer a tour of the new Google Cambridge office (I'm currently an engineer with the googs) including dinner. Company policy prevents me from inviting too many guests, but I could get away with 2 or 3 :)

Have you considered Quincy? I live there and pay $400 a month and have a pretty spacious apartment. It's only about a 25 minute T-ride to MGH and about a 35 minute T-ride to Harvard.
Did you ever have trouble getting home because of the snow? If so, would the price of rent/size of apartment still outweigh the ~couple weeks where it might have taken a bit longer to get home (e.g., 30 min. commute becomes 2.5h commute)? Or would bad weather affect commuting time regardless of where one lived, so it doesn't really matter?

Did you find your place on Craigslist or elsewhere? Around when did you find it? Where you already in the area, or did you find it before moving to the area?

$400 is really good; right now, I'm finding $500 and up on CL but maybe I'll find something like $400 if I wait toward the end of summer..

Last edited:
Hi! Planning to jump into the program with a schedule as below

Summer 15. Gen Chem 2 (local school)
Fall 15. Org 1 bio 1 psych
Spring 16. Org2 bio 2 biochem
Summer 16. Study MCAT & apply
Fall 16. Apply & take upper level courses

Was wondering if this would be feasible with volunteering &/ clinical experiences?

Or would it be better to
Summer 15. Gen Chem 12 bio 12
Fall 15. Org 1 psych sociology
Springs 16 Org 2 biochem
Summer 16 MCAT

In which case summer 15 only will cost +$10000:sorry:

*(unless there is a fin. Aid for the summer?? Is there one??)

*was an engineering undergrad so got yr of physics, yr of math, yr of English in terms of the requirements...

Last edited:
Did you ever have trouble getting home because of the snow? If so, would the price of rent/size of apartment still outweigh the ~couple weeks where it might have taken a bit longer to get home (e.g., 30 min. commute becomes 2.5h commute)? Or would bad weather affect commuting time regardless of where one lived, so it doesn't really matter?

Did you find your place on Craigslist or elsewhere? Around when did you find it? Where you already in the area, or did you find it before moving to the area?

$400 is really good; right now, I'm finding $500 and up on CL but maybe I'll find something like $400 if I wait toward the end of summer..

I've never once had a huge issue getting home from the snow. If anything, it's much easier in Quincy because the parking isn't congested like Boston (plus free street parking everywhere). Trying to find parking in Boston with snow = absolutely the worst thing ever. It's taken me an extra 20 minutes to find places to park before during the storms. As for driving during the storms, yes there's traffic and yes it can get kinda congested, but there's a ton of side streets that you can take which can cut down on commute time. I would say that bad weather affects commuting time from wherever you are.

I found my place on Craiglists, it's a May/May lease and I found it at the end of March. I've lived in Quincy for the last five years so I was already in the area. I would honestly check CL every day to see what listings there are because this is the time where things become available. $500 is pretty common to pay and $400 is a bit rarer, but there are places like this out there.

I've never once had a huge issue getting home from the snow. If anything, it's much easier in Quincy because the parking isn't congested like Boston (plus free street parking everywhere). Trying to find parking in Boston with snow = absolutely the worst thing ever. It's taken me an extra 20 minutes to find places to park before during the storms. As for driving during the storms, yes there's traffic and yes it can get kinda congested, but there's a ton of side streets that you can take which can cut down on commute time. I would say that bad weather affects commuting time from wherever you are.

I found my place on Craiglists, it's a May/May lease and I found it at the end of March. I've lived in Quincy for the last five years so I was already in the area. I would honestly check CL every day to see what listings there are because this is the time where things become available. $500 is pretty common to pay and $400 is a bit rarer, but there are places like this out there.
I should have asked specifically about taking the T and other public transportation (i.e., if these slow down considerably in bad weather), rather than driving a car, but I suppose if you usually drive, then that question wouldn't apply to you specifically. And anyway like you said, bad weather would affect you no matter where you are, and probably regardless of mode of transport, too.

Thanks, I will continue to check CL daily.

I should have asked specifically about taking the T and other public transportation (i.e., if these slow down considerably in bad weather), rather than driving a car, but I suppose if you usually drive, then that question wouldn't apply to you specifically. And anyway like you said, bad weather would affect you no matter where you are, and probably regardless of mode of transport, too.

Thanks, I will continue to check CL daily.

The Quincy end of the red line was basically shut down for most of February, unless you wanted to wait hours and take buses they were using to replace the trains. However, this is the first time I can remember that happening... Usually the T is great and better than driving in bad weather. This winter was an exception and shouldn't be the norm (unless global warming...). I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

-- I've lived in Boston area my whole life and can't remember the red line having trouble like this before... But it's possible that I just didn't pay attention in the past because it didn't affect me...

Last edited:
Hi! Planning to jump into the program with a schedule as below

Summer 15. Gen Chem 2 (local school)
Fall 15. Org 1 bio 1 psych
Spring 16. Org2 bio 2 biochem
Summer 16. Study MCAT & apply
Fall 16. Apply & take upper level courses

Was wondering if this would be feasible with volunteering &/ clinical experiences?

Feasible but tough. Orgo and Bio are probably the 2 most time-intensive classes, so taking them together would be a lot. Med school is a lot too, though. I know someone who is basically doing this in addition to working 30 hours/week and they're managing it, but at the same time I think a lot of people would have trouble. If you did reasonably well in your engineering program and have some science background, I bet you'd be okay.

For Biochem, it says the prereq's are both chemistry and biology - you should look into whether you can take it after taking 2 semesters of chem and only 1 of bio. You might want to email Fixsen about this.

I suppose whether you'd want to take the May MCAT or June one would depend on when the committee letter gets written. I'm not applying until next year so I haven't investigated the details of this -- if they aren't going to have letters written until July anyways, you may as well take the extra study time and go for the June MCAT.

FWIW, I'm really glad I did summer Gen Chem at Harvard Summer School and would highly recommend it - it was really well taught, the professor goes out of his way to get to know students, and you'll make friends who will stay friends for the rest of the program. I think the social aspect is the biggest reason to do it. It's a really different vibe - you get to know people when you're in class, lab and section every day with the same people. During the year, people do their own thing for the most part - a lot of people don't even go to class, you only have class once or twice a week anyways, everybody shows up for lecture and then goes home. During the summer you're on campus all day so you're basically forced to make friends. My social circle hasn't really expanded at all since last summer (maybe in part because I haven't made an effort to get to know more people, though).

Or would it be better to
Summer 15. Gen Chem 12 bio 12
Fall 15. Org 1 psych sociology
Springs 16 Org 2 biochem
Summer 16 MCAT

As far as I know, it wouldn't be possible to do Chem 1+2 and Bio 1+2 over the summer. For one thing, that would be 16 credits in 7 weeks, which would be kind of a lot. For another thing, I don't think the class schedules are designed for this so you'd probably have lots of scheduling conflicts.

Last edited:
Feasible but tough. Orgo and Bio are probably the 2 most time-intensive classes, so taking them together would be a lot. Med school is a lot too, though. I know someone who is basically doing this in addition to working 30 hours/week and they're managing it, but at the same time I think a lot of people would have trouble. If you did reasonably well in your engineering program and have some science background, I bet you'd be okay.

For Biochem, it says the prereq's are both chemistry and biology - you should look into whether you can take it after taking 2 semesters of chem and only 1 of bio. You might want to email Fixsen about this.

I suppose whether you'd want to take the May MCAT or June one would depend on when the committee letter gets written. I'm not applying until next year so I haven't investigated the details of this -- if they aren't going to have letters written until July anyways, you may as well take the extra study time and go for the June MCAT.

FWIW, I'm really glad I did summer Gen Chem at Harvard Summer School and would highly recommend it - it was really well taught, the professor goes out of his way to get to know students, and you'll make friends who will stay friends for the rest of the program. I think the social aspect is the biggest reason to do it. It's a really different vibe - you get to know people when you're in class, lab and section every day with the same people. During the year, people do their own thing for the most part - a lot of people don't even go to class, you only have class once or twice a week anyways, everybody shows up for lecture and then goes home. During the summer you're on campus all day so you're basically forced to make friends. My social circle hasn't really expanded at all since last summer (maybe in part because I haven't made an effort to get to know more people, though).

As far as I know, it wouldn't be possible to do Chem 1+2 and Bio 1+2 over the summer. For one thing, that would be 16 credits in 7 weeks, which would be kind of a lot. For another thing, I don't think the class schedules are designed for this so you'd probably have lots of scheduling conflicts.

U rock!

Thanks so much :D!!

deleted

Last edited:
Hello all, are any of the newly accepted using this as a post-bacc? As in taking upper level courses to boost GPA? Or are most people career changers? I've been seeing a mix of what type of person this program is most suited for

I'm trying to get into HCP as a GPA booster. Fixsen said the program isn't ideal for me but I choose to go ahead and take courses anyways.
My background is a Bio-major cGPA-3.2, sGPA-2.9. So i'm spending some time digging myself out of a hole.

So far took Physics 1&2 along with Chem 2 at HES. Both were good, Got an A in Physics 1 and should be expecting A-/A for Chem/Physics 2.
I'll reapply this week once grades are out.

I'm trying to get into HCP as a GPA booster. Fixsen said the program isn't ideal for me but I choose to go ahead and take courses anyways.
My background is a Bio-major cGPA-3.2, sGPA-2.9. So i'm spending some time digging myself out of a hole.

So far took Physics 1&2 along with Chem 2 at HES. Both were good, Got an A in Physics 1 and should be expecting A-/A for Chem/Physics 2.
I'll reapply this week once grades are out.
So did you not get into the HCP program?

I'm currently practicing as a lawyer and considering switching careers. I'm interested in enrolling in the Harvard Extension program next year. Can someone please answer the following questions? It would be a huge help.
  • The website is a little unclear, but this is a post-bacc program that will allow me to do complete all the necessary science courses before applying to medical school, correct? This is the program everyone is referring to in this thread, right? http://www.extension.harvard.edu/degrees-programs/premedical-program
  • Can I take classes part-time? Most importantly, are night classes offered? I'm a practicing lawyer so this would be my only way to complete my post-bacc.
  • How long does it take to complete the program? Part time vs. Full time?
  • What is the total cost (tuition and fees) of the program?

Last edited:
I'm currently practicing as a lawyer and considering switching careers. I'm interested in enrolling in the Harvard Extension program next year. Can someone please answer the following questions? It would be a huge help.
  • The website is a little unclear, but this is a post-bacc program that will allow me to do complete all the necessary science courses before applying to medical school, correct? This is the program everyone is referring to in this thread, right? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-harvard-extension-2015-thread.1121688
  • Can I take classes part-time? Most importantly, are night classes offered? I'm a practicing lawyer so this would be my only way to complete my post-bacc.
  • How long does it take to complete the program? Part time vs. Full time?
  • What is the total cost (tuition and fees) of the program?

1) Yes, this is the post-bacc you're looking for. Probably not the droids you're looking for, though.
2) You can, and all classes are in the evening as HES was made with people who have (had) day jobs like you and me. There is the odd Saturday morning class, though, but that shouldn't affect you taking the pre-requisites.
3) I did it part-time over 2 years, but completed two of the prerequisites over the summer so I could fit in a couple upper-level bio courses.
4) Last semester I was there it was $1200 per class, although prices were going up every year. Unfortunately, prices are no longer equivalent to two bushels of wheat.

As an aside, if you're curious to learn about your situation specifically (lawyer-->physician career change), there are a few posters who've made that transition who could probably give you some advice on that side of things. Probably @Law2Doc would be your best resource. Hope he isn't mad about the call-out.

Thanks for all this! I sent you a PM asking the same thing because I wasn't sure anyone would see my post. I'm really happy about the answers your provided. Much thanks!

Btw, how were you able to complete it in two-years doing it part-time? It seems that most part-time post-baccs take 3 years. Does HES have fewer requirements than other programs?

Thanks for all this! I sent you a PM asking the same thing because I wasn't sure anyone would see my post. I'm really happy about the answers your provided. Much thanks!

Btw, how were you able to complete it in two-years doing it part-time? It seems that most part-time post-baccs take 3 years. Does HES have fewer requirements than other programs?

I did: Summer Gen Chem, Bio, and OChem during the year, and then Summer Physics. Then I took biochem in the next fall while studying for the MCAT and finished off with Cell Bio in the spring. So, I did the program from Summer 2011 through Spring 2013. It was mostly part time with a couple short full time stints in the summer. Technically I completed the prerequisites in a year plus a summer, but decided to take biochem because a bunch of schools require it/like to see you take it, and I took Cell bio to solidify that I can succeed in science course. YMMV.

Current HES students…HELP. I'm finishing up my application right now & I have some questions/uneasiness about my chances that I can't shake. How solid was your experience in the medical field or with volunteer work before applying? I graduated last year with an undergrad GPA of 3.9 in psych and I worked in the counseling center for 3.5 years as a peer educator. I have also shadowed a physician for about a month, but that's it…I don't know if I should take another year off (sigh) to try and find work as a scribe or something, but I would much rather just start completing my prereqs!

Current HES students…HELP. I'm finishing up my application right now & I have some questions/uneasiness about my chances that I can't shake. How solid was your experience in the medical field or with volunteer work before applying? I graduated last year with an undergrad GPA of 3.9 in psych and I worked in the counseling center for 3.5 years as a peer educator. I have also shadowed a physician for about a month, but that's it…I don't know if I should take another year off (sigh) to try and find work as a scribe or something, but I would much rather just start completing my prereqs!

You're applying fairly late - they do usually fill up, and despite that 3.9 GPA they might just be full at this point. But submit your application and see what happens. Also, remember that you can just show up and start taking classes, and then apply to officially be in the program again next year.

I don't think it makes sense to take a whole year off to build up clinical experience. Start taking classes, and find clinical experience while you're here. There should be time for both, assuming you're planning to complete the pre-req's in 2 years.

You're applying fairly late - they do usually fill up, and despite that 3.9 GPA they might just be full at this point. But submit your application and see what happens. Also, remember that you can just show up and start taking classes, and then apply to officially be in the program again next year.

I don't think it makes sense to take a whole year off to build up clinical experience. Start taking classes, and find clinical experience while you're here. There should be time for both, assuming you're planning to complete the pre-req's in 2 years.

Thanks for the advice! I find it a little strange that they don't mention online whether or not the Fall program is full. Nevertheless, I will send my app in & keep my fingers crossed.

I didn't officially apply the first time around, I just asked Owen & Fixsen, and they said that they're not in the business of GPA rehabilitation. However I'm still taking courses. if I can't officially make the program I'll have to figure it out at an SMP program.

So did you not get into the HCP program?

I had no clinical experience prior to applying and had a 3.4 GPA without having taken prerequisites, so my 3.4 was a clean slate to build from. You have 3.9, though, so that certainly isn't a barrier for you. I would say that the timing of your application is the barrier. I sent mine in March of the year I wanted to start. You could just take classes a la carte, though, and simply submit your application next year. No reason to sit around if you have the cash and time to start now.

Hi all,

I'm applying for a spot in the HES Premed program for this upcoming fall. I am a resident of VA so I will be taking all courses through correspondence. Hopeful for an acceptance!!

Currently sitting at a mediocre GPA so hoping to boost it and apply Summer 2015.

Best to you all.

How long does it typically take for applicants to hear back about an interview/acceptance? I applied about a week ago.

Hi goriku, it will probably take a few weeks. They generally do acceptance on a rolling deadline. I think it took them 3-4 weeks to get back to me. It is a little late to apply for Fall 2015, but best of luck!!!

Make sure to post the happy news :)
You can also start taking classes whenever you'd like and apply to the program later!