Official: I really need a hug

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow!

It is nice to see such supportive people. I guess I will take my turn at venting for a minute. I am applying for next cycle in June. I am terrified because my GPA is not the best, I partied a little to hard before finally deciding what I wanted to do with my life. Anyway, I have to turn in a packet to the pre med comittee at my school before Thanksgiving break. I am terrified that they will refuse to write my letters of rec based on my GPA. I have good relationships with my profs, I go to a small liberal arts school. However, I feel like if they refuse to write the letter, I am doomed. Don't get me wrong, I know I have a slim to none chance of getting in the first time, but I have to try. My plan is to apply to about 25 schools including a few post bacc programs aimed at improving your chances of acceptance. I also am willing to go the Carib. schools, although DO schools are not something I am interested in. However, none of this will matter if I don't get that letter. I want to puke everytime I think about it. It is ironic that we place so much of our self worth in the hands of others (ad-comms, pre-med advisors etc). Anyway, sorry for the long post, thanks for listening. Tweetie, I have my fingers crossed for you!!

Michele

Members don't see this ad.

I can certainly relate to you Harbindoc. Although I've always wanted to go into medicine, I took some shots at my self-esteem that lead me to believe I just wasn't good enough. As a result, I didn't make the effort. I came to college and did pretty decently considering I was partying every night of the week and not bothering to go to class. Once I finally decided that medicine IS the field for me and began to buckle down I had done some pretty severe damage to my GPA.

You NEED to bite the bullet and send that packet it. If they turn you down, then you'll need to begin to pursue alternative options for letters, but it's just not worth the worry at this point. For all you know, they could be glad to write the letter for you and you've been stressing out over nothing.

But, no matter what happens. If this is something you REALLY want, than you'll get there. Even if it means you do have to go to a caribbean school!!!

Good luck to you and everyone else on this thread, I think we all can feel your pain!

Members don't see this ad :)
somehow, online hugs just aren't the same.. :(

I personally think that it is way too early for this pity party. Dra Foxy (and others I'm sure) did not even have her secondaries started at this point last year and got into 3 schools. I think the key to this process is keeping busy with work, volunteer stuff, and other things that enhanse your app for this or next year. I am nervous like everyone else, but you have to keep it together. It will be much worse in subsequent years as med students and residents.

JBJ,

I agree with you that it is good to keep busy and that it is still moderately early in the application cycle. However, there is nothing wrong with venting frustration and sharing our disappointments with others. That doesn't make it a "pity party." We don't have to be completely stoic throughout this process...in fact, I don't understand people who are, because the highs and lows of it all are so unnerving that talking about it openly is the only way I can keep from losing my mind. And I don't think it makes sense to compare the stress of applying to the stress of being in school. Those are two totally different kinds of stress, you know?

This process is brutal. People deal with it differently. Talking about your disappointments is not mongering for pity. But thank you for the input about staying busy--you had a good point there :)

Best of luck to you.

Tweetie,
i am goimg to reccomend that along with waiting you consider studying for the April Monster. i know how painful that sounds because that is exactly what i am doing. 9even tho i didn't apply anywhere but 1 DO school) i am going to study DESPITE the fact that i gave it my all last time, and apparently my all is not good enough. i would do that if i were you just in case. DO NOT QUESTION WHETHER YOU BELONG IN MEDICINE. then the F$#ng MCAT wins. Su

You guys are so nice. Gosh, I wish you were all present in my real life so i could hug you all in person. I know things are going tough, and I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I am healthy, have a wonderful family that loves me unconditionally, and above all....I'm getting married soon to a person I consider my best friend and soul mate, who still takes my breath away.

I just got an email today from a company where I had interviewed for a job. It was an awesome job, and I would have LOVED to have it. Somehow, this doesn't seem to hurt anymore. Maybe we're all just growing up, eh?

To those of you still feeling down--a big {{{{HUGGGGGGG}}}}. I am sure in the end, what's meant in our fate will be. We just have to keep faith alive and hope that our passion and our dreams are part of our future.

I am new to the site. Not that new but new enough. Anyway I was beginning to think the site really wasn't about giving each other support advice. Its seemed to me that everyone was more concerned about showing and telling what they got. For someone like me the site was starting to get intimidating. I mean I don't have the hottest gpa, my mcat scores sucked the first time around and I am really discouraged and feel like I don't have what it takes. I keep looking for excuses on why I am not going to retake the MCATs, but deep down I know I want to. I am in the process of applying to nursing school because I feel like I am wasting my time trying to complete my masters. Sure I have a great GPA in my masters program, but if I don't get into med. school I don't want to work in a lab for the rest of my life. I am doing cancer research now and its interesting but not something I want to make a career out of. Mice are cool but they have no personality. I need to be around people.

All that being said its good to finally here a site where everyone is truly giving each other support. Tweetie, it sounds to me that you do have it in you to be a doctor. Believe it will come. Good things come to those who wait. And the thing about God giving you a break, He may have a different plan you. So just wait and see what happens. It still early and believe me I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I would feel better knowing that some good people are in medical school not just money hungry ones.