My "grade" was an 82 on the IM shelf exam. I am NOT a superstar med student by any means, I have a life outside medicine and I am very pleased with my score!
Below is basically what it says on the letter we get in our mailboxes. This "grade" is calculated from the subject exam score reported by the national board, using the formula approved by the Dean for the 2010 class.
We are able to take the grade and then use a chart to find our National Percentile Ranks of Scaled Grade. So, the grade of 82 at our school = 53% national percentile rank compared to examinees at other medical schools who took the subject exam.
We aren't given our raw score or the calculation for the grade, just the grade and the chart to find our percentile rank. Our school may grade harder or easier compared to other schools. I don't know how to figure that out other than going back and just looking at what others say their grades were.
So, hope that helps some folks asking about the percentiles, raw scores and grades.
Lots of advice out there, and it can seem overwhelming so below is what I tried to do and ideally what I think would help anyone trying to do well on this exam.
For the shelf, I knew it was hard and I was worried about passing. Looking back, below is what I think is the best way to prep.
1. Step-Up to Medicine. Comprehensive in nature, but make sure you know the major systems the way the book lays the chapters out for you. Cardio, Pulm, GI then do Renal, ID, and don't neglect the Ambulatory Medicine section. I didn't get to everything but know the major systems. This book has all the info you will need for the exam in one source. If you like the outline format then this is THE book to have! I have to understand thing for them to stick so this was my "reference book" when I studied. I needed something else to help me remember and understand the overall picture so that is why I use...
2. Case Files-IM. If you don't like the outline format of S-U, then this is a great way to LEARN about cases you didn't see in the wards but are test on. I liked this format and studied by reading cases by system then used Step Up to solidify the material.
3. MKSAP. After the Cases I read and looking up the chapters in SU, I would do the MKSAP questions. This helped me see how the info would be tested and the answers explain so much that I think it is a waste if people are using MKSAP for just the practice questions. You have to read why you got the question right and wrong to learn anything IMHO.
4. Kaplan Q-Bank IM question set. I saved this for the end. This is a great resource for those who have it. ~800 questions. Don't get worried about the % correct and all that like some do. Again, like MKSAP use it to LEARN the material and get ready for the exam. The time goes by quickly on this exam, don't get bogged down on a question. Know that there are sections that are tough and if you spend tons of time trying to rack your brain, you won't have time to get to the ones you could have answered easily. (My main problemo!)
Good Luck!