Official "Interviews Offered" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
stw.. I didnt interview at a single program you listed.. of course if you do orlando.. then we will.. Im still waiting on Carolinas but I dont think ill take it either way. My mental ROL is already done..

Members don't see this ad.

stw2361 said:
Ectopic, the suspense is KILLING ME!!
OK, maybe it's just torturing me a teeny bit...........

EctopicFetus said:
stw.. I didnt interview at a single program you listed.. of course if you do orlando.. then we will.. Im still waiting on Carolinas but I dont think ill take it either way. My mental ROL is already done..

I was referring to the "personal reasons" you had to apply to so many programs.........

It will likely disappoint.. but I need to keep the info to myself until Match day.. Then the truth will be out for one and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to post this - I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! We did 12 interviews (my husband and I) and just got home. The last one was January 5th. YAY!!!!!!!

Good luck everyone - stay strong!

Cancelled my Duke interview today, so now done with 6/9 interviews!

YTD:
1) DONE : UT-Houston
2) DONE : Texas Tech / El Paso
3) DONE : Texas A&M / Scott & White
4) DONE : LSU-Shreveport
5) DONE : UTSW / Dallas
6) DONE : Vanderbilt / Nashville
7) Jan : USF / Tampa
8) Jan : South Carolina
9) Jan : Wake Forest

Cancelled/Declined:
10) Duke
11) Louisville
12) UM-Kansas City / Truman
13) LSU / Baton Rouge
14) ECU / Greenville, NC
15) Emory
16) Arkansas
17) Charity/NO
18) MCG-Augusta
19) Kentucky-Lexington
20) UF-Jacksonville
21) UF-Gainesville

Rejected:
UNC-Chapel Hill

Not holding my breath:
Carolinas, Orlando

**I'm venting**

I just got offered an interview to Jacksonville's program late Friday (jan 13). I would have loved to interview there earlier (as I was in Florida a month ago).

The interested part is that they have all of the available dates between Jan 18th and Jan 27 and they ask us to call immediately.

Yesterday being MLK day leaves today (Jan 17th) as the first day which I could possibly get back to them to even check the availability of dates. I'm flying out to California tomorrow to visit my family and complete an interview and then I'll be headed to New York for an interview at Bellvue on the 27th.

Here's some questions that are running through my head. I would love to hear your feedback.

1. Is it rude for a program to offer an interview this late in the interview season?

2. Isn't it obvious that my application is nowhere near the top of their list? Why wait this long?

3.Is it realistic for them to expect us to be able to complete our interview within the next week and a half (i.e. no advanced notice)?

4.Are we supposed to cancel interviews with programs which we scheduled in advance?

Its a frustrating problem.

1. no- the point is to try and offer as many canidates that would fit with the program interviews. There are almost always more 'interviewable' canidates than interviews. This is part of the process. As people cancel, others are offered the spot. Its *rude* for people not to cancel interviews as early as possible but it happens and sometimes can't be helped

2. again, no. Our PD says that if he had the time, of the 800 or so applicants, there would be about 400 that he would love to interview. What often happens is that by the time many applicant files are read, there are no spots open. As openings become available, this list is tapped into. If they didn't want to interview you, they simply wouldn't have offered.

3. It is realistic. People begin seriously prioritizing this time of the year. And this is the decision you are going to face. How badly do you want this program? Are you going to let your frustration taint your interview? (if you aren't able to put the 'I musta been low down' out of your head- don't waste your time and money- you won't hid it well on interview...) If you *really really really* want this particular program, you may need to shuffle things around. (I would also give them a call and see if its possible that another date is open).

4. Yup. This is not unusual at all, especially this time of year. Thats why many times, people will net interviews at thier favorite program later. They call and are persistant and get spots from those that have cancelled.

Some movement on my list this week: Offered and declined Orlando, offered and accepted Carolinas. Cancelled Duke. Appplied to Las Vegas program for the hell of it.

YTD:
7) DONE : USF / Tampa
8) Jan : South Carolina
9) Jan : Carolinas
10) Jan : Wake Forest
11) Feb : Las Vegas??

Cancelled/Declined:
12) Duke
13) Louisville
14) UM-Kansas City / Truman
15) LSU / Baton Rouge
16) ECU / Greenville, NC
17) Emory
18) Arkansas
19) Charity/NO
20) MCG-Augusta
21) Kentucky-Lexington
22) UF-Jacksonville
23) UF-Gainesville
24) Orlando

Rejected:
UNC-Chapel Hill :confused:

UCLA2000 said:
**I'm venting**

I just got offered an interview to Jacksonville's program late Friday (jan 13). I would have loved to interview there earlier (as I was in Florida a month ago).

The interested part is that they have all of the available dates between Jan 18th and Jan 27 and they ask us to call immediately. "

Hey there, I'm a resident at jax--it is tough this time of year to figure out how to organize the last interviews. I can tell you that I was offered an interview late and couldn't be happier that I matched here. It's truly a great clinical training. As it gets to the end of the season and people cancel, there is space to interview more people that either got into the pile to review later or had some other reason they weren't offered in the first round. But remember, that once you make it to an interview, everyone is on equal ground. If you do well in your interview it speaks much more loudly than some grade or something else that was in your file or being amongst the later to submit an otherwise stellar application. IF you're still interested in Jax, call our NEW program coordinator (she's on top of the crazy job she came into--imagine taking that over during interveiw season and the holidays!) and see if you can work something out for next week. You'll be glad you did.

corpsmanUP said:
The football thing is not overrated! I just got back from Iowa City, Iowa, home of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes. Those people worship the good Lord on Sunday, but they worship the black and yellow on M-Sat!

Sorry, but I just noticed this glaring problem...it's black and GOLD, not yellow. Old gold to be precise. Don't worry--beginner mistake. If you end up there you'll have it right by the end of the first week. :thumbup:

DONE WITH INTERVIEWS!! Now I wait.....

YTD:
7) DONE : USF / Tampa
8) DONE : South Carolina
9) DONE : Wake Forest

Cancelled/Declined:
10) Duke
11) Carolinas
12) Louisville
13) UM-Kansas City / Truman
14) LSU / Baton Rouge
15) ECU / Greenville, NC
16) Emory
17) Arkansas
18) Charity/NO
19) MCG-Augusta
20) Kentucky-Lexington
21) UF-Jacksonville
22) UF-Gainesville
23) Orlando

Rejected:
UNC-Chapel Hill

DISCLAIMER:I'm about to vent. Feel free to skip. If you think I'm out of line let me know.

I just got a rejection from Brown(RI).
As in yesterday!
I mean on the one hand I am upset with pretty much any program who takes the easy route and doesn't send rejections to all their non scheduled/WL applicants but doing it a little sooner would be nice. At this stage of the game it's like uhhhhh..... DUH! I knew you weren't gonna interview me and since you haven't heard me calling/emailing to beg for a spot you can safely assume, here in the last week in January that I'm over it. IMHO I think it's pretty insulting to not hear from a program by say the 15th or so of January at the latest. At that point I have allready written you off as uninterested and ruder then the other uninterested programs who at least shot me a Nov/Dec email.
Oh well. It's almost over! It's almost over! It's almost over! (drkp chants as he rocks himself into a restless sleep)

Members don't see this ad :)
drkp said:
DISCLAIMER:I'm about to vent. Feel free to skip. If you think I'm out of line let me know.

I just got a rejection from Brown(RI).
As in yesterday!
I mean on the one hand I am upset with pretty much any program who takes the easy route and doesn't send rejections to all their non scheduled/WL applicants but doing it a little sooner would be nice. At this stage of the game it's like uhhhhh..... DUH! I knew you weren't gonna interview me and since you haven't heard me calling/emailing to beg for a spot you can safely assume, here in the last week in January that I'm over it. IMHO I think it's pretty insulting to not hear from a program by say the 15th or so of January at the latest. At that point I have allready written you off as uninterested and ruder then the other uninterested programs who at least shot me a Nov/Dec email.
Oh well. It's almost over! It's almost over! It's almost over! (drkp chants as he rocks himself into a restless sleep)

Thats almost as bad as the email from Louisville that stated I had failed to meet the minimum criteria necessary and was unqualified to interview in their program. It was absolutely offensive. It must have offended so many people that within 2 hours of receiving it I received another one that had a much nicer bottom line. My guess is that someone sent it before it could gain PD approval or something and then when some brave, dejected applicant shot them some hate mail back, my guess is they sent the second one. 99% of rejection letters are so nice you almost think they were written by the school's legal department in a manner to cover their butts or something. Some of my rejection letters were so nice I was wondering why the chose to reject me.

Joke to follow: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

example of overly kind rejection letter
"Dear CorpsmanUP,
We here at bottomofthebarrel EM find your application and statistics to be worthy of praise, worship, and even blasphemous idolization. We unfortunately had an unbelievable number of Nobel Laureates who wanted to come to our program this year and we simply cannot fit you into our extremely tight interview schedule. We know you will make an incredible EM physician and will probably go on to write the text that we will use in future years, but for now, we have to break our own hearts and decline to offer you an interview. Please forgive us, and may the lights of heaven forever light your blessed path.

Sincerely,

PD"

This thing is just a big old game.. You all know I "over-applied" I still havent heard from 5-7 places.. Not that it matters at this point..Im psyched about ALL the places on my ROL!!!

EctopicFetus said:
This thing is just a big old game.. You all know I "over-applied" I still havent heard from 5-7 places.. Not that it matters at this point..Im psyched about ALL the places on my ROL!!!
It does matter though. I overapplied by most peoples standards (53) and in reality underapplied. I still have not heard from 15-20 programs. IMnotsoHO we spend alot of money, and time/effort/thought on applying to these programs. The least they can do is shoot us out and email at a realistic time to tell us where we stand. Having discussed this with a PD in and interview I learned for their program it's a matter of money. They don't wannna pay their coordinator the extra time it would take. I found that excuse (though I didn't say so) very weak. In the end I have what I feel is a good ROL and wouldn't be unhappy at any of them. That doesn't change the fact that I feel insulted by the other 15-20 programs.
Well as insulted as I can at this stage in the game when I really don't care about much. I really am just shocked at the lack of respect. To me it goes hand in hand with the thank you's from us. It's just good manners.

drkp said:
It does matter though. I overapplied by most peoples standards (53) and in reality underapplied. I still have not heard from 15-20 programs. IMnotsoHO we spend alot of money, and time/effort/thought on applying to these programs. The least they can do is shoot us out and email at a realistic time to tell us where we stand. Having discussed this with a PD in and interview I learned for their program it's a matter of money. They don't wannna pay their coordinator the extra time it would take. I found that excuse (though I didn't say so) very weak. In the end I have what I feel is a good ROL and wouldn't be unhappy at any of them. That doesn't change the fact that I feel insulted by the other 15-20 programs.
Well as insulted as I can at this stage in the game when I really don't care about much. I really am just shocked at the lack of respect. To me it goes hand in hand with the thank you's from us. It's just good manners.

I certainly understand your frustration. I didn't hear from a handful of programs, but I think there may be a reason they wait this long. I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but on my end the few I did not hear from were not the Carolinas, Wake, Vandy, or Cinci's of the EM world, but instead the lesser known about programs. My guess is that they don't want to send out too many rejections too early because they know they are going to get many cancellations the last interview month. So they want to be ready to call people a week or two in advance to see if they are still interested in interviewing. I got an invite right after New Years and declined. Its not much of an issue for places that are decades established, but newer, less popular places have to be really careful not to burn their bridges. Thats my guess.

corpsmanUP said:
I certainly understand your frustration. I didn't hear from a handful of programs, but I think there may be a reason they wait this long. I'm not sure if you noticed or not, but on my end the few I did not hear from were not the Carolinas, Wake, Vandy, or Cinci's of the EM world, but instead the lesser known about programs. My guess is that they don't want to send out too many rejections too early because they know they are going to get many cancellations the last interview month. So they want to be ready to call people a week or two in advance to see if they are still interested in interviewing. I got an invite right after New Years and declined. Its not much of an issue for places that are decades established, but newer, less popular places have to be really careful not to burn their bridges. Thats my guess.

Hey guys, I'm still waiting for U of Chicago. {***crossing fingers and muttering "maybe next year... maybe next year...***}

:D

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Hey guys, I'm still waiting for U of Chicago. {***crossing fingers and muttering "maybe next year... maybe next year...***}

:D

- H
Hehehehe thanks. That does make me feel better.

Corpsman, I understand what your saying but if you noticed I suggested Jan 15th as a shat or get off the pot date for contacting ALL your applicants for just that reason and I even said if your really worried make a decent size waitlist. Of course now that I am about to go to my last preinterview dinner and tomorrow is my last interview I am pretty much over it. Still think it's rude but I'm over it

drkp I agree man.. it is kinda crappy. At the min tell me I suck.. What Houston did is interesting they overinvited, so I got an interview, then when I called (2 weeks later) they told me that they were full but could put me on a list. Lucky for me I decided that Houston wasnt gonna be a great place for me and my wife so I took my name off that list.

I fully agree with you guys. I am very satisfied with all of the programs I interviewed with and probably did too many, but I am still very offended by the programs that haven't bothered to let me know one way or the other. I even sent e-mails to several of them asking about the status of my application and never got a reply back. We all spend so much time and money to apply and interview and the LEAST that they could do is have the common courtesy to appropriately communicate with us. Likewise, I think it's incredibly inappropriate for applicants to schedule interviews and not show up on interview day...I interviewed at several places were multiple people just didn't show up. Again, I think everyone needs to be respectful of the time and money people are investing and not do things like that. :cool:

Good luck with ROL's and match!

Ralph05 said:
I fully agree with you guys. I am very satisfied with all of the programs I interviewed with and probably did too many, but I am still very offended by the programs that haven't bothered to let me know one way or the other. I even sent e-mails to several of them asking about the status of my application and never got a reply back. We all spend so much time and money to apply and interview and the LEAST that they could do is have the common courtesy to appropriately communicate with us. Likewise, I think it's incredibly inappropriate for applicants to schedule interviews and not show up on interview day...I interviewed at several places were multiple people just didn't show up. Again, I think everyone needs to be respectful of the time and money people are investing and not do things like that. :cool:

Good luck with ROL's and match!

:thumbup: I did a TY interview today and only 4 of 8 people showed up. I think that is INCREDIBLY RUDE!!

FWIW I only had one "incident" but that was because I emailed a cancellation, got a reply, then on the day of the interview I got a call on my cell, like "hey why arent you here". I was able to pull the date I sent the email up on my comp and obviously who I sent it to.. It cleared it up! I would never just not show up though.. Thats RUDE!!

Holy crap, got rejected from JAX today! Didn't even know I applied there but I suppose they wouldn't be rejecting me if I hadn't now would they? :laugh:

corpsmanUP said:
Holy crap, got rejected from JAX today! Didn't even know I applied there but I suppose they wouldn't be rejecting me if I hadn't now would they? :laugh:
same here though i think they offered me an interview before.. not sure but doesnt matter.

EctopicFetus said:
same here .................... doesnt matter.
Me three. Now it's downright comical. The good news is I heard they have lame preinterview dinner anyway :)

drkp said:
Me three. Now it's downright comical. The good news is I heard they have lame preinterview dinner anyway :)

I got the Jax rejection, too.