Official "Interviews Offered" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CS_22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen in the past where we keep people in the loop as far as who's offered interviews so far, and thought it might be a good idea to help us have an idea as to who's been offering interviews. That and this could serve as yet another effective (shameless) post pad.

So... as I've shouted to the world before today.

Wright State has offered interviews.

CS

Members don't see this ad.

Go an invite from Georgetown on Tues.

cowgirlcarrie said:
Go an invite from Georgetown on Tues.

Congrats Carrie. I hope to hear from them too. But I really need to hope my school gets my application done a little faster. I'm still waiting on a LOR and my Transcripts to be posted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a letter from Ohio State today. That's right--a LETTER. I didn't think anyone used real mail anymore...

Oh, and this is based on nothing but the CAF and board scores--no PS, letters, transcripts, etc.

Great idea for a thread, CS. I'm sure this thing will explode in a month or so. Also, I was told by a well-known PD that programs aren't s'posed to extend invites until the Dean's letters are out, and that those that do are sorta breaking the rules. Anyone know anything about this?

Hawkeye Kid said:
I got a letter from Ohio State today. That's right--a LETTER. I didn't think anyone used real mail anymore...

Oh, and this is based on nothing but the CAF and board scores--no PS, letters, transcripts, etc.

Great idea for a thread, CS. I'm sure this thing will explode in a month or so. Also, I was told by a well-known PD that programs aren't s'posed to extend invites until the Dean's letters are out, and that those that do are sorta breaking the rules. Anyone know anything about this?

No, they are not breaking the rules, but many programs DO wait until Dean's letters so that they have a more complete picture of the applicant.

- H

Hopefully my school is unique in this ineptitude, but I've read my dean's letter and it does nothing to provide a "more complete picture" of me. He didn't even change the words I used in my CV. In fact, I had to recommend some changes because I thought he was providing an inaccurate representation. Anyway...
add the University of Iowa to the list (and, despite the screen name, I'm not a student there, though I do affiliate myself with the football team--even after last week).

Hawkeye Kid said:
Hopefully my school is unique in this ineptitude, but I've read my dean's letter and it does nothing to provide a "more complete picture" of me. He didn't even change the words I used in my CV. In fact, I had to recommend some changes because I thought he was providing an inaccurate representation. Anyway...
add the University of Iowa to the list (and, despite the screen name, I'm not a student there, though I do affiliate myself with the football team--even after last week).

Congrats Hawkeye, you're on a bit of a roll. That's at least a couple for you so far.

As far as offering early, I didn't think it was breaking rules. I actually thought its becoming a little bit more common in that some programs want you to schedule an interview with them early, then they hope you don't cancel with them later. Was just my thought though.

I hope I hear from some more programs soon!

CS

I just got an email from Orlando.

just got one from ohio state as well.

funny thing is that Im hearing that the app deadline for most programs is Nov 1st.....and that they require all materials in by that date including the dean's letter. Isn't Nov 1st the earliest date that schools can submit their dean's letter? if so, how can programs make nov 1st thier deadline??

Invite from a DO program St Barnabas in the Bronx.

GiJoe said:
funny thing is that Im hearing that the app deadline for most programs is Nov 1st.....and that they require all materials in by that date including the dean's letter. Isn't Nov 1st the earliest date that schools can submit their dean's letter? if so, how can programs make nov 1st thier deadline??

If I understand correctly, ERAS does not release Deans letters until Nov 1st. Your school can send it anytime before. Nevertheless, I agree, the conflict with app deadlines and deans letter release is confusing.

Eme-RG-ency said:
Invite from a DO program St Barnabas in the Bronx.

If I understand correctly, ERAS does not release Deans letters until Nov 1st. Your school can send it anytime before. Nevertheless, I agree, the conflict with app deadlines and deans letter release is confusing.

Okay, so here's my 2 cents on the issue.

As far as I know (and I'm pretty sure about this...), the Dean's Letter CANNOT be sent by the school until November 1st. So the way I understand it, what the programs are saying by having a Nov. 1 deadline, is that you better have you application done by the time the Dean's Letter is posted, because that's the last time they're getting on ERAS to download applications.

So, just have it done by then...

Hawkeye I didnt know you could apply without your PS being done? Can someone explain. Additionally, do you guys know if each program states which LORs they want (i.e. 3 from Em + 1 other?) or 2 from EM and 1 other etc. Anyone with advice...

EctopicFetus said:
Hawkeye I didnt know you could apply without your PS being done? Can someone explain. Additionally, do you guys know if each program states which LORs they want (i.e. 3 from Em + 1 other?) or 2 from EM and 1 other etc. Anyone with advice...

To be honest, I didn't know it was possible until I did it. I hadn't completely finalized my PS yet, but wanted to get my app out, so I just applied and sent the PS later (today, in fact). Apparently it's a document just like LORs that you can add any time.

As for LORs specifically, most programs say on their website what they want, and on ERAS specify the max they'll accept. The norm from what I've seen is 3 required letters with at least one from an EP. Most will take up to four. I haven't seen any programs that require a non-EM letter, but they may be out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks appreciate the 411. Anyone know the exact deadline for LORs? I have them all pretty much in but I might ask for a late one.

[Napoleon] GOSH [/Napoleon], the PS thing is talked about in the FAQ sticky. LOR deadlines are set by the programs, so you have to look and see what the program deadlines are for a complete application. Good rule of thumb is by Nov.1, but most will accept them after up to the time of your interview.

CS_22 any other offers? KBizzle

kbrown said:
CS_22 any other offers? KBizzle

Nada so far. Talk about letdown. Got the first less than a week in, now I'm stuck waiting. All the first one did is tease me.

Patience... I know.

St. Barnabas Hospital. Bronx, NY

Congrats to all who've gotten interviews so far! For those who haven't, fear not! Its still REALLY, REALLY early!! Nov. 1st (over a month away!) is when they start rolling in en masse. Some programs will make offers prior to the Dean's Letter, but many will wait. So don't start sweating it now or you'll have an ulcer by the time you have to put your suit on! :D

Received an e-mail from Cooper/Camden today. Offering spots in early November.

I'll be in NY that month, anyone know about transport from NYC to Camden? Not too familiar with bus/trains back there.

Got St. Luke's in PA today via email.

On which sticky is the personal statement info listed on. The only thing I am waiting for is my personal statement so if i can submit without it I will.

Riverjames said:
Received an e-mail from Cooper/Camden today. Offering spots in early November.

I'll be in NY that month, anyone know about transport from NYC to Camden? Not too familiar with bus/trains back there.

Might be a little longer but probably more direct. You can go to the SEPTA (South East Pa transit Authority) website and get the best route there. Good luck.. Of course you could rent a car for a day or 2.

Thanks! 'preciate the help.

cowgirlcarrie said:
Heard from St. Luke's today too.

I guess St. Lukes likes to give them out early. I got an email from them too.

Got my second interview today -- Texas A&M/Scott and White Program

Woo Hoo!!!

CS_22 said:

Woo Hoo!!!

Heard from A&M today too.

Got the invite from Vanderbilt today. They interview on Thursdays and Fridays, starting in late October.

St. Vincent (Toledo)
St. John (Detroit)
Wright State
Orlando
Also: notes from 2 Michigan State programs stating they wait until dean's letters go out (and yes, mine is verbatim from my CV and not very interesting - good thing my personal statement is good, lol, um, sure...)

DrMom said:
Got an invite to interview at my home (Osteo) program today: Tulsa Regional. :D

Congrats everyone!

I really, really, need to try and get my last LOR in. :scared:

Anyway, keep us updated!

CS

My fiancee' just got an EM interview at Grand Rapids. Does anybody know about this program?

AceRockolla said:
My fiancee' just got an EM interview at Grand Rapids. Does anybody know about this program?

Busier hospital than you would expect (100k+ annual visits). Nice town. Flight available as moonlighting. They do alot of OB during their month (they cover L&D solo) and they have a faculty member who is a BC EP but who did a hand surgery fellowship. Dr. Brown seemed very "real" and interested in his resident's well being. All in all, I liked the program alot after my interview. I would suggest taking a look.

- H

AceRockolla said:

A solid community-based program that has been around for a long time and put out a lot of EM practitioners. Good faculty in an overall benign atmosphere. Spectrum-Butterworth is a beautiful hospital, with excellent overall research and education opportunities from all the money that the DeVos family can throw at it. (I don't know if they are still there, but when I did my clinical rotations as a medical student there, pictures of the family were plastered in the front corridors - no question as to who owned the place :rolleyes: )

That aside, if you can handle the snow and the conservatism, Grand Rapids is an excellent community to raise a family and settle down. Only about half an hour from Lake Michigan, and about 2.5 hours from Chicago, 2 from Detroit. You can read more about it at scutwork, and forum member docflanny can answer your questions more directly.

Hey everybody-
I'm new to this thread. Wanted to let you know that the University of Utah's EM program has offered interviews.

AceRockolla,

Send your fiance my congratulations on being offered an interview at Spectrum Health. I think you'll find your visit to our program/city quite enjoyable. Dr. Brown, our program director, is planning to put applicants up in a nice downtown hotel, that is central to most of Grand Rapids' night life. A useful website, that's still under development, to learn about our program is through our hospital at www.grmerc.net/gme/em

As SheerStress mentioned, Spectrum Health is a beautiful hospital that has a significant base of wealthy individuals that are tied to its success. We're very excited for the future development of Spectrum lately. Last year, they built a beautiful 8 story Heart Center (ICU tower). This winter, they're adding a Cancer Institute/Hospital and beginning the planning and ground breaking on a free standing Children's Hospital too. They are also some preliminary rumors of a Peds/EM Residency, which would be fitting with our expansion. Currently, the ED sees around 120K a year, 30% peds. As a tertiary care facility, we have a number of that come to us from regional feeder hospitals that our Aeromed Team transports to us.

Technology is amazing here too. They just installed a program to download patient info (meds, labs, reports, demographics, etc.) to your palm via WiFi. It's really cool. They use Cerner, a windows-based, computer system where most of the charting is done on computer. Computers are everywhere- one computer per pt. room; in the ICUs ~1.5 computers per room (seems a bit of an overkill- some are on wheels). Another cool feature of the IT dept. is being to access the computer system from home- helpful for reviewing your dictated ED charts (we have to fill in any blanks missed by the transcriptionist). Our ED also has physician order entry. Overall, Spectrum is really pushing itself to be one of the best hospitals in the country by 2010 (actually stated). Based by their ambitious and successful building pushes and financial backing, I think they're going to reach that goal. PM me if you want more details.

So far I've gotten invites from UAB in Montgomery prelim, Baptist Transitional, UAB EM, and Orlando EM. UAB EM interviews all of us early so we can have a feedback session for our later interviews, which is nice. At SA this week, Duke's program director told me they don't even send out invites until Dean's Letters go out. So, just send in what you've got - and don't freak b/c many programs told me this week they wait until mid-late October.

Good luck all and hope to see some of you around. :luck:
-MJ

Finally don't feel like such a freak for being left out!

Mayo and Easter Carolina interview invites today!! yipppeeee!!!

later

CS_22 said:

Congrats on the interview! Drop me a note and let me know if you have any questions.

I'm having a blast here (well, except for off service rounding but I'm guessing that sucks everywhere).

Take care and good luck!
Jeff

Wright State and UCSF Fresno for me so far...

Good luck to everyone!

12R34Y said:
Finally don't feel like such a freak for being left out!

Mayo and Easter Carolina interview invites today!! yipppeeee!!!

later

Did you say Easter Carolina? :thumbdown: What's your name boy?

USCDiver said:

ahh now........cut me a little slack! It was my very first interview invite......I'll blame it on excitement. You know what I mean though.

Now I'll have to go super secret undercover anonymous so that you don't figure out who I am.

later

USCDiver said:
Yea, not to be confused with Hannakah Carolina, also a great program but like most other programs, still not up to In-and-Out standards.

Man I wish I had matched at In-and-Out! The zero that match there every year must be really super competitive!

Cook County in Chicago today!

Cook County, Wright State, and MLK (not quite sure why I applied there).. Hopefully more to come. I dont have a single LOR uploaded yet :)

Updated invite list for me: Mayo, ECU, University of Iowa, Univeristy of Nebraska.

later

DrDre' said:
Good for you, 12r34y!

Back to UI, huh?

thanks!

just got another invite from UMKC/Truman.

later