*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

Started by aalamruad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aalamruad

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who are into tennis, Federer came back from 2 sets to love to reach the Semis. So today is a good day for all Fed fans out there ( I am one). So if the "old" man can do it, you guys can too. Might I add, a practice exam (scored) 2 will be released this Fall. This is good news for those who need to take or retake the MCAT.
 
For those who are into tennis, Federer came back from 2 sets to love to reach the Semis. So today is a good day for all Fed fans out there ( I am one). So if the "old" man can do it, you guys can too. Might I add, a practice exam (scored) 2 will be released this Fall. This is good news for those who need to take or retake the MCAT.
Fed is killing it! Hope he gets his 18th GS 🙂 ... Wimbledon is helping to keep my mind off my MCAT score today...
 
Fed is killing it! Hope he gets his 18th GS 🙂 ... Wimbledon is helping to keep my mind off my MCAT score today...
It was a nail-biting match. I thought he was going to lose considering how Cilic was playing in the first 2 sets. He was on fire. Kudos to Fed for hanging in there but I thought Cilic's level dropped a bit. It would be interesting to see how Fed will play against Raonic who has been playing very well lately. Hopefully, Fed will come out on top but either way, I am happy that he is still playing.
 
I've only had like 4 hours of sleep and yet I'm laying here in bed refreshing multiple websites. Any day now, aamc.

Btw, before I get my score and freak out, what subsection score do you guys think warrants a retake? I feel like I've got a feeling for the overall score but not individual sections
 
I've only had like 4 hours of sleep and yet I'm laying here in bed refreshing multiple websites. Any day now, aamc.

Btw, before I get my score and freak out, what subsection score do you guys think warrants a retake? I feel like I've got a feeling for the overall score but not individual sections

I really just think any score that stands out from the rest (lower than the others) may have a retake needed. Most schools, from what I know, like to see balanced scores. So for example, if you got C/P score that is way lower (for example, 124 or something) compared to your other sections that are all 127-128, then I would probably retake. I would say science sections may carry more weight so if the lower score is in the science section, retake. But I don't know if that's true for sure, schools may look at all sections with equal weight.
 
Had to take melatonin to help me fall asleep last night, but didn't work and still stayed up until 6 AM just being anxious to death. Never felt this anxious before, even when taking the MCAT I was much calmer than this. *le sigh*

Today will be a good day.
 
Btw, before I get my score and freak out, what subsection score do you guys think warrants a retake? I feel like I've got a feeling for the overall score but not individual sections

I would say that this is precisely the question that you may not want to ask in these minutes/hours leading up to the release of your score. Any answer at all is likely to maximize anxiety/self-doubt senselessly as well-intentioned yet consistently disproven answers to this type of question are given on these and similar forums.

My advice? Distractions, if you're in a situation where you can access them, are best paired with occasional checking (if you can't help yourself). When they're posted: deep breaths, check score, (regardless of answer) deep breaths. Give yourself time, and if you want advice, post a comprehensive run-down on your personal stats on the "Chances" thread and take all advice with heaping helpings of salt. Plan something now, if you aren't already committed, to do tonight regardless of the outcome and save your planning for what comes next until tomorrow.

Best of luck! Deep breaths, everyone!
 
I would say that this is precisely the question that you may not want to ask in these minutes/hours leading up to the release of your score. Any answer at all is likely to maximize anxiety/self-doubt senselessly as well-intentioned yet consistently disproven answers to this type of question are given on these and similar forums.

My advice? Distractions, if you're in a situation where you can access them, are best paired with occasional checking (if you can't help yourself). When they're posted: deep breaths, check score, (regardless of answer) deep breaths. Give yourself time, and if you want advice, post a comprehensive run-down on your personal stats on the "Chances" thread and take all advice with heaping helpings of salt. Plan something now, if you aren't already committed, to do tonight regardless of the outcome and save your planning for what comes next until tomorrow.

Best of luck! Deep breaths, everyone!
I've got an exam tonight, so that should help lessen the stress 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait whats going on. Why haven't they released the score and when are they?

AAMC has said on twitter that they'll release scores by 5pm ET. Someone posted earlier that there seems to be a pattern of them releasing at either 8am ET or 3pm ET, so hopefully that pattern holds true and we're within minutes of them being released.
 
Here's a lesson in not letting how you feel about a section get to you.

Actual score: 513: 130/128/128/127

In absolute shock right now


Just got home.....

First off, the checkin procedure was ridiculous. I had 4 people ahead of me and it took an hour before I was checked in. It was pretty much the same process as when I took the GRE, but for some reason this Prometrics location was sooo slow.

C/P: OMG was so hard. It was like they found a list of my weaknesses and wrote the test on exactly that. I felt like I was getting killed while taking it, but I got to the end and had marked less than I marked on the scored, so hopefully I was just feeling neurotic and freaking out. Right off the bat, first passage, first question, I had no clue. Not a great way to start. There were some ridiculous calculations, like, they had nothing to do with anything I studied or saw on any other practice test. Not even like crazy difficult or unknowable, just like, they are testing this?!?

I'm surprised to see so many people say they got an easy C/P. Out of the 19 people in my test center, 3 got up in the middle of C/P and never came back, I assumed everyone was struggling and they gave up.

CARS: I thought the difficulty was on par with the scored. There were a few really long passages and a few passages that could have used some paragraph breaks, but the questions were fair. I went with instinct and didn't put too much thought into anything. (That sounds crazy typing it out, but I think it was good). I got tired during this section, think the initial adrenaline wore off, and there were a couple of passages that I really dragged on. Don't know if it was intentional or not but multiple passages brought science into the subject, which isn't something I've seen on practice CARS I've taken.

B/B: It was okay. Maybe somewhere between the scored and the section bank. Had one or two passages where the data was not used in the questions at all, kinda weirded me out, like I was missing something. Happy that I crammed last night because it saved me on at least 2 questions.

P/S: I blazed through it, thought it was relatively easy. A few things I had forgotten but I don't think there were any terms I hadn't seen before. One question was bugging me though, I knew what the question was asking, and I knew all of the answer choices, and it was like none of them even came close to making sense. If that question was in a printed book I'd be Googling for errata.

I finished C/P with less than a minute left, but for every other section I had at least 10 minutes left on the clock, even after reviewing answers. I took every break, but didn't use the time I had left for extended breaks. Cut my lunch short as well, didn't want to be sitting around and lose momentum. Ended up getting out of there a bit earlier than I expected. Beef jerky and Dr Pepper were good.

My scored was a 509 and my sample was roughly a 508, I could see myself getting around there based on how I feel, but literally any score in C/P wouldn't surprise me. While taking it, I mentally made peace with the possibility of retaking. Life goes on. Anyway, It's going to be a long wait.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
519!!1!1!!1!!!!!!!
Ok now that I've calmed down a bit (who am I kidding my hands are still shaking!!!). I'm just SO SO SO SO SO happy with my score!! I have a very low GPA so I need a killer MCAT to have a shot, and I had to retake my expired 37, which meant that this MCAT has to be at least close to as good as a 37 or the drop will look very bad. BUT OMG I DID IT!!!!!! I GOT 130/129/130/130!!!
 
Here's a lesson in not letting how you feel about a section get to you.

Actual score: 513: 130/128/128/127

In absolute shock right now
Practice tests:
Kaplan 1: 500/123/126/127/125
TPR 1: 499/123/126/124/126
NS 1: 509/126/128/127/128
Sample: 66%/79%/81%/76%
Section bank: 63%/55%/66%
Practice: 509/127/129/127/126

The aamc practice test was the only one I ever took under timed conditions. Felt like a huge leap of faith going in. Guess I knew what I was doing more than I gave myself credit for.
 
Ok that was the weirdest c/p ever. It was a mix of extremely easy questions with extremely convoluted and out-of-the blue questions. Overall my least favorite section.

Cars was ridiculously easy. Super interesting passages (and I never find cars passages interesting) and straightforward questions.

B/B was okay. It had more fact-based questions than I would like. And was it just me or was a lot of the charts/graphs in the passage not needed to answer the questions??

P/S was alright.

Overall, really didn't like the C/P and B/B. But cars was nothing short of pure awesomeness.

Guys I'm sooo scared about my C/P score on the June 2nd MCAT. It was just so much organic chem and I'm simply awful at orgo. I had to straight up guess on so many questions and was unsure on many more. I'm just so scared! And I don't think I did well on B/B either because I'm just totally blanking out on it. I'm so worried!

So that was what I said right after my MCAT and then about 2 weeks before the score release. I got a 514 on the scored and oscillated around 512 on TPR tests. Got ~50-60% on EK FL4 (except CP which I got 85%). It's just so surreal.

My actual MCAT: 130/129/130/130 -->519 (yes I'll say it over and over again because I'm just so happy and proud of it)
 
Last edited:
congrats guys!!

can you guys say what your practice exam scores were before taking mcat please!!!

505!! (123/127/126/129)

I realize this score is nowhere near the highest, but it was my goal. (I'm applying early decision to a school w/ a 506 average) I used the Gold Standard and previously scored a 493. I kept using the Gold Standard (which was a huge mistake for me) - GS practice test on May 1: 492.

I got the Kaplan MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review to cram since there was 1 month left. With the time constraint, I only focused on Biology, Biochemistry, Psych/Soc, & CARS. I read chapters aloud while walking and completed the chapter review questions. I took 2 Kaplan practice tests a week (scores ranged from 495-499). Hope this helps!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am so devastated. I did WAY worse on my practice test. I scored below a 500... I am very disappointment in myself, because I really tried. I truly cannot stop crying... Anyways, I currently got accepted to a post-bac program at my state university. What advice can you guys give me? I feel stuck because I am applying this cycle. How late in the game will I be if I re-take the MCAT on 08/25?
 
I am so devastated. I did WAY worse on my practice test. I scored below a 500... I am very disappointment in myself, because I really tried. I truly cannot stop crying... Anyways, I currently got accepted to a post-bac program at my state university. What advice can you guys give me? I feel stuck because I am applying this cycle. How late in the game will I be if I re-take the MCAT on 08/25?

what was your practice test score vs. real test score?
and honestly, don't give up. A lot of doctors I know had to retake it. Never give up on your dream and you'll be fine 🙂