OFFICIAL Loyola Stritch SOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ekamenet said:
ok everyone, this may sound like a weird question, but I know some of you are thinking it (hopefully). I know in college, the dress code is pretty much wear whatever you want. Well, in medical school, or any professional school for that matter, what is appropriate attire? I'm sure there are no rules as to what you should wear, but what is most common? Are most people a little more cleaned up most of the time, or is it pretty much like college where sometimes its just the first thing you see (obviously I'm a guy)? Sorry if this is somewhat stupid, but it has been on my mind and I figured this was the best place to ask. Pretty much what I'm asking is...what are you wearing for Monday...casual, shorts, dress pants, tie, flip flops? Thanks! :oops:
you're not the only one wondering. I was dead sure that with med school the uncomfortable life of tucked-in shirts would begin, but apparently not :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Funny I had this exact same question! I am glad somebody asked. Hmm.. I hope this becomes the theme for school - I have a question, somebody else asks it, I get the answer without having to stick my hand up. Fantastic. Hmm.. should I put a big nametag on that says "Flopotomist" so people will recognize me?

Flopotomist said:
Funny I had this exact same question! I am glad somebody asked. Hmm.. I hope this becomes the theme for school - I have a question, somebody else asks it, I get the answer without having to stick my hand up. Fantastic. Hmm.. should I put a big nametag on that says "Flopotomist" so people will recognize me?

wait...that's not you in your avatar?! :laugh:

i'm back in chicago, and of course, had to immediately come on sdn...hopefully this addiction wanes or else i'll be the first to fail out of our class....

see you all in the morning!

Members don't see this ad :)
The first day is over! I can't believe today has already come and gone. See you all again tomorrow.

ekamenet said:
The first day is over! I can't believe today has already come and gone. See you all again tomorrow.

glad i'm not the only one who still felt compelled to check this thing...can't believe i didn't get home til midnight...

Somebody mentioned that it can get cold in the building...definately bring a hoodie/sweatshirt/jacket or something because the lecture hall can get freeeeezing. I tend to be cold so I even have to go so far as not wearing sandals because my feet get too cold.

Am I the only one sitting in lecture listening to computer information while typing on here? None of you nerds have laptops?

Flopotomist said:
Am I the only one sitting in lecture listening to computer information while typing on here? None of you nerds have laptops?

but a laptop is so heavy :laugh: ....but yeah, i will be bringing mine once class starts.

and loud *cough* derrick ;)

jbrice1639 said:
but a laptop is so heavy :laugh: ....but yeah, i will be bringing mine once class starts.
I need to figure out how to discreetly turn mine on without that damn annoying Windows orchestra serenading me and interrupting the class.

Flopotomist said:
I need to figure out how to discreetly turn mine on without that damn annoying Windows orchestra serenading me and interrupting the class.

i've found the best way to get around that is to have some headphones always plugged into it. then, if i forget to have the volume muted the last time i turned it off, the sound doesn't come out the speakers.

jbrice1639 said:
i've found the best way to get around that is to have some headphones always plugged into it. then, if i forget to have the volume muted the last time i turned it off, the sound doesn't come out the speakers.
(read ala Mr. Burns) Exxxxxxxxxxxcellent!!

BTW.. is anybody else having as much fun as I am having here? I can hardly keep from walking around looking like an overmedicated bafoon I am so happy.

Flopotomist said:
(read ala Mr. Burns) Exxxxxxxxxxxcellent!!

BTW.. is anybody else having as much fun as I am having here? I can hardly keep from walking around looking like an overmedicated bafoon I am so happy.

yeah...i can honestly say i'm actually ENJOYING biochemistry...and that's just craziness. it's nice finally being at a school where everyone is just happy to be there and everyone's excited as opposed to undergrad where everyone is just too cool to be there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Time of death - 7:44 am, Aug. 25,2006

Rest in Peace Stritch 2010 Thread... +pity+

baby baby are you OK?

I don't wanna take a test on Monday.... don't wanna.

Hi Loyola people (I hope some of you still read this thread :))

I think that I'll be joining the 2011 class at Loyola, I was accepted and it's the school that I'm most excited about, by far.

I've got a few questions about Loyola, if you all don't mind filling me in:

1) Are their international opportunities for 4th year electives?
2) I don't remember seeing your library on the tour...is it in your main building, refresh my memory.
3) Do you do all of the disections during anatomy lab, or do you trade off with lab groups?

Thanks!! Leah

1) you definitely can do international rotations during your 4th year. i am not sure, however, if there are things set up with school or if you would have to do the footwork to set up the rotation. either way, its possible.
2) our library is in the main hospital building (maybe 5-10 minute walk from your locker at school). a fair number of students study at the library, but there are also a number of community libraries that people study at within a couple minutes drive of school.
3) we have 4-5 people per cadaver. no rotation with other groups. you'll dissect from first incision all the way till we're done. its a lot of dissection, but i think its a really great number of people per body. any more people per cadaver and you end up not having enough to do / needing to rotate. any fewer people per cadaver and you spend all your time dissecting and not enough time studying what you've disected. i think 4-5, as loyola does it, is a very good ratio. anyway, hope that helps. if you're sure you're going to loyola, start the class of 2011 thread! ;) and feel free to ask any other questions. :)

thank you!

i interviewed at loyola earlier, and as i went on more interviews i came up with more questions and things i was looking for! it looks like loyola has everything i'm looking for :)

at some schools you only do every other or every third dissection, and i wasn't too impressed with that...

thanks again, hopefully i'll be starting that thread soon :)

leah

There are Loyola sponsored international rotations in Peru, Guatemala, Bolivia, and Ireland that I know of. The list changes and I'm sure there are others that I don't know about. You can also go on any rotation that is associated with an accredited US medical school. There are lots of details with international rotations that I won't go into, but you should feel confident that you have plenty of international opportunities in the 4th year if you decide to go to Loyola.

There are Loyola sponsored international rotations in Peru, Guatemala, Bolivia, and Ireland that I know of. The list changes and I'm sure there are others that I don't know about. You can also go on any rotation that is associated with an accredited US medical school. There are lots of details with international rotations that I won't go into, but you should feel confident that you have plenty of international opportunities in the 4th year if you decide to go to Loyola.

thank you!!

hi all,
i was wondering if any of you chose stritch over UIC and/or Rush? if so, what helped you make the choice? Does stritch give a better financial package than UIC or Rush?

Thanks

Hi and congratulations on your acceptances! That is really amazing. Yes, I chose Stritch over UIC, Rush, and some other schools. It was definitely the right decision. UIC was not really even in the running for me compared to other schools. I am sure if you interviewed at both Loyola and UIC you have a sense for the difference.

The whole vibe at Loyola is positive. I didn't see a more student focused school during my interviews. Even as we are in anatomy now it is so collaborative and the faculty are amazing in every class. The faculty and 3rd year students are so eager to have you shadow them. Loyola is continuing to grow as evidenced by their new expansion.

As far as Rush, the students had little positive to say about their first and second years in terms of the classes themselves and the faculty. I wanted to have a great 4 years in medical school, not just the clinicals. Overall, the students and faculty seemed happier at Loyola when I interviewed and my observation was right. And for me, the financial aid package was much better at Loyola. I also liked that not everyone is from Illinois. Overall, you are really taken care of at Loyola. They care about you as a person and are most interested in who you become as a physician. Very well rounded place. You do have to find which place is better for you. Many of my classmates made the same decision. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions as I know it is a complicated decision. I'll check back periodically.

Hi and congratulations on your acceptances! That is really amazing. Yes, I chose Stritch over UIC, Rush, and some other schools. It was definitely the right decision. UIC was not really even in the running for me compared to other schools. I am sure if you interviewed at both Loyola and UIC you have a sense for the difference.

The whole vibe at Loyola is positive. I didn't see a more student focused school during my interviews. Even as we are in anatomy now it is so collaborative and the faculty are amazing in every class. The faculty and 3rd year students are so eager to have you shadow them. Loyola is continuing to grow as evidenced by their new expansion.

As far as Rush, the students had little positive to say about their first and second years in terms of the classes themselves and the faculty. I wanted to have a great 4 years in medical school, not just the clinicals. Overall, the students and faculty seemed happier at Loyola when I interviewed and my observation was right. And for me, the financial aid package was much better at Loyola. I also like that not everyone is from Illinois. Overall, you are really taken care of at Loyola. They care about you as a person and are most interested in who you become as a physician. Very well rounded place.

You do have to find which place is better for you. Many of my the people in my class made the same decision. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions as I know it tough. I'll check back periodically. Best regards

When does Loyola start sending information about financial aid out to accepted students? I'm guessing it's probably in Feb. or March. Money will be a factor in my choice of which school to attend. Money aside, Loyola is by far my top choice medical school, though it'd be really tough for me to turn down in-state tuition from the University of Nebraska (if i get accepted), which is nearly half of what Loyola costs.

Can anyone alleviate my financial fears about Loyola?

When does Loyola start sending information about financial aid out to accepted students? I'm guessing it's probably in Feb. or March. Money will be a factor in my choice of which school to attend. Money aside, Loyola is by far my top choice medical school, though it'd be really tough for me to turn down in-state tuition from the University of Nebraska (if i get accepted), which is nearly half of what Loyola costs.

Can anyone alleviate my financial fears about Loyola?

loyola is more expensive than in-state tuition. no arguing that point. i had to make the same decision between loyola and my home in-state tuition. but i knew that i'd be happier at loyola and just felt like it was the right place for me. once you become a doctor, you'll pay off your loans, be they $100k or $200k. you might take longer until you're driving the lexus and livin large, but you gotta decide what your priorities are. i'd rather be happy than rich, so i chose loyola. :)

hey guys, im a Loyola Chicago undergrad (sophomore) looking to apply/be accepted to stritch when the time comes. I was just wondering what types of things they look for? GPA? clinical? volunteer? how much is recommended? any other advice you guys can offer would be awesome! :D

as always, medschools look at numbers (check out the avg gpa/mcat for loyola...its posted somewhere but i believe its around a 3.5/31 maybe). but i'd say that loyola looks at the whole package, so to speak. sure, they look at numbers to make sure you're 'good enough' to be in medschool, but beyond that, they look to the person. clinical stuff is great. volunteer in a hospital, work on an ambulance, whatever. research is also good. spend some time in a lab, it looks great on the resume even if you don't really enjoy it. do things you will be able to talk about during an interview. do things that will set you apart from the other hundreds of applications that roll thru the admissions office. but i would tell you to do something you enjoy. sure, you might have to just bear down and do research even if you don't like it. but do stuff you like to make your application look good. i thought working on the ambulance was a blast. maybe it made me look better, maybe not. sure was fun though. do things that you can talk about. if you do research, you better be able to at least give a basic synopsis of what you did research on...otherwise, you didn't really get anything out of it, did you? hmm..rambling...we have an exam monday and my brain is fried. hope some of that helps. i don't think we can really tell you what to do...its up to you to do things that you like. hopefully you like things that are medicine-related...otherwise it might not be the best choice of profession, ya know? ;) anyway, best of luck and feel free to ask questions as you roll thru the application cycle.

I have been reading over many your posts from last summer, and I'm excited to be getting to that point myself--months away :)

anyways, i hope that you're all enjoying your time at loyola as first years...how exciting, i can't wait :)

hey guys, im a Loyola Chicago undergrad (sophomore) looking to apply/be accepted to stritch when the time comes. I was just wondering what types of things they look for? GPA? clinical? volunteer? how much is recommended? any other advice you guys can offer would be awesome! :D

look in to the EAP program at loyola undergrad. it's for people who are sure they want to go to stritch. you apply at the end of your sophomore year and can get in provided that you have the necessary extracurriculars (volunteering, health care experience).