Official MCPHS-Worcester Class 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
by the way, did you apply through PHamcas? will they put you in MCPHS -W or you chosen it

I was interviewed February 27th and the acceptance was post-marked March 5th, my school just took a while to get it into my mailbox :laugh:

I didn't apply through PharmCAS - I applied to MCPHS-W directly. When was your interview? They've always been quick to respond, so you should hear something very soon.

Members don't see this ad.

we should be hearing about housing soon?

we should be hearing about housing soon?

Current students are having their housing lottery the end of March... I believe you might not hear about housing until mid-end april.....

Members don't see this ad :)
so how is pharmacy going for you greatdeals?

do you have a lot of cumulative final exams?

usually for your tests, are you studying like thick packets of notes?

finals week is just the best isn't it : (

do you have a lot of cumulative final exams?

usually for your tests, are you studying like thick packets of notes?

finals week is just the best isn't it : (

so far, all my exams have been cumulative

thick packets of notes.. yes.. but the exam is usually divided 50% new material and 50% old material, so in the 50% old material, basically it averages to about 2-3 questions per chapter, depending on the subject and professor.. so when we study for the final exam, basically we just study the new material as we would for any other exam, then we just study the general concepts or what we know the professor emphasized on the old chapters. Usually they will not ask anything that is written in micro-fonts.. if you know what i mean.. but usually the professors will tell you what you should focus on in the final exam (general things usually)

one thing that greatly helps is to study very well for your other exams.. so when the final comes, you kinda remember some of the material from the old exams....

are there any courses that you feel needs "improvements" or would like to change?

what have you enjoyed most so far as a P1 student?

are there any courses that you feel needs "improvements" or would like to change?

what have you enjoyed most so far as a P1 student?

I am sure that not every school is 100% perfect. We do provide feedback of the course and the professor teaching it at the end of the semesters, and every year the upperclassmen are telling us how this class has been changed this way, that professor changed this way...

as a p1, we have some professors we love, and some we don't really like, that goes true, i'm sure, with every school/major you have taken/will be taking. I think what I enjoyed most is being able to go to lecture everyday and seeing my friends..... :p

Hey Greatdeals

I will be attending MCPHS in the fall as well. Can you tell me if there is a MCPHS bookstore? ie a place to buy apparel and all that jazz. If not (of even if there is) where do you end up buying most of your books? I was considering getting a membership to Barnes and Noble for discounts. If I can buy textbooks through the site it'll definately be worth the membership fee.

Thanks!

Hey Greatdeals

I will be attending MCPHS in the fall as well. Can you tell me if there is a MCPHS bookstore? ie a place to buy apparel and all that jazz. If not (of even if there is) where do you end up buying most of your books? I was considering getting a membership to Barnes and Noble for discounts. If I can buy textbooks through the site it'll definately be worth the membership fee.

Thanks!

We don't have a bookstore in Worcester, but you can always go to the Boston campus to buy any apparels. I believe there is a website to buy some of those things, but I don't know what it is. You can ask around when you get here, or maybe someone else on SDN can shed the light?!

For worcester, several student organizations will sell tshirts, polo shirts, sweatshirts outside your classrooms... usually for a week or so during fall ... so don't worry, they will be making announcements in class if that happens, or you can just see them sitting there with tons of apparels for you to choose from!..

I get my books at amazon.com or half.com, I don't do barnes and noble.. I don't know if they have better prices... or best yet, I buy the books from upperclassmen (hint hint!!) those are usually cheapest, if not, they should be comparable to amazon or half.com prices and you save on shipping time and the uncertainty of getting ur books in a bad condition...

We don't have a bookstore in Worcester, but you can always go to the Boston campus to buy any apparels. I believe there is a website to buy some of those things, but I don't know what it is. You can ask around when you get here, or maybe someone else on SDN can shed the light?!

For worcester, several student organizations will sell tshirts, polo shirts, sweatshirts outside your classrooms... usually for a week or so during fall ... so don't worry, they will be making announcements in class if that happens, or you can just see them sitting there with tons of apparels for you to choose from!..

I get my books at amazon.com or half.com, I don't do barnes and noble.. I don't know if they have better prices... or best yet, I buy the books from upperclassmen (hint hint!!) those are usually cheapest, if not, they should be comparable to amazon or half.com prices and you save on shipping time and the uncertainty of getting ur books in a bad condition...

http://www.bkstr.com/CategoryDisplay/10001-10029-11253-1?demoKey=d

There's the website, but there doesn't seem to be much, though.

So, uh, what are you going to do with your old books, greatdeals? Hehe ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all!! i just found out i got accepted last friday! yay! hahah i'm 90% sure i am going to MCPHS. i'm a bit worried about the financial part since MCPHS is on the expensive side. Do you know when we will receive our financial package? I had already filled out the FAFSA about 3 weeks ago.

Hey greatdeals, I've got a question for you...

I think I read somehwere that you have testing blocks....Do you ever have tests on Fridays? The reason I ask is that I am the maid of honor in my sister's wedding in October and she will kill me if I can't make it home the for the rehersal. Not that I can do much about it if that's the case, I'd just like to start preparing now...

Hey greatdeals, I've got a question for you...

I think I read somehwere that you have testing blocks....Do you ever have tests on Fridays? The reason I ask is that I am the maid of honor in my sister's wedding in October and she will kill me if I can't make it home the for the rehersal. Not that I can do much about it if that's the case, I'd just like to start preparing now...

Hey,

our testing blocks are tuesday/thursday 2 hours after classes end. some professors (biochem) have exams on testing blocks because it gives us more time (biochem class is only 50 minutes), the other classes usually have exams during class time. Last semester we ended class at 12:20 on fridays.. so if u guys have the same schedule, u can go home after that :D

hi all!! i just found out i got accepted last friday! yay! hahah i'm 90% sure i am going to MCPHS. i'm a bit worried about the financial part since MCPHS is on the expensive side. Do you know when we will receive our financial package? I had already filled out the FAFSA about 3 weeks ago.

I just got mine yesterday, and I live about an hour away from Worcester.

Hi everyone, I’m a new member and I just got accepted at MCPHS. I’m 90% sure about attending MCPHS. I look forward to meeting all of you:):).

I have a few questions.

What is the main difference between the Manchester and Worcester Campus?
I down loaded a PDF file from the website. According to it we have one month vacation in the summer and 5 weeks after the fall semester, Is that correct.

Hi everyone, I’m a new member and I just got accepted at MCPHS. I’m 90% sure about attending MCPHS. I look forward to meeting all of you:):).

I have a few questions.

What is the main difference between the Manchester and Worcester Campus?
I down loaded a PDF file from the website. According to it we have one month vacation in the summer and 5 weeks after the fall semester, Is that correct.

Manchester has a total of about 40 students in your class.

Advantage: smaller class size, you end up knowing everyone
For electives starting summer P1, you guys dont' have as much of a selection as Worcester because your class size is smaller
Disadvantage: Most of the professors teach in Worcester, so you'd have to look at them through distance ed (that TV they showed you during orientation) and when you talk, you talk thru microphones... altho some professors are based in manchester, they teach in manchester as well. Depends if you are a student who needs to go see professors during office hours or can you just be satisfied with emails.

Worcester: classes are bigger, you have more electives to choose from, but that means you have more students fighting for that elective as well. You won't know everyone, but you will get to know who is and isn't P1.

Both places have different "life-styles". Worcester and manchester are diff cities, different things to do.

I'm sure there are other threads going over the comparisons. Try to go into older threads.. i'm sure there are comparisons... coz we were asking those last year too when we were applying!

Hello to all future P1's!
I am currently a P1 at MCPHS-Worcester.
If anyone has any questions feel free to send me a private message (even though it seems like greatdeals225 has done a good job of promptly replying to all your concerns). Just in case you can't get in touch with him (or her) I'm here to help also.

If anyone has any questions feel free to send me a private message (even though it seems like greatdeals225 has done a good job of promptly replying to all your concerns). Just in case you can't get in touch with him (or her) I'm here to help also.

be careful!! your inbox might just be exploding!! haha... :p

Manchester has a total of about 40 students in your class.

Advantage: smaller class size, you end up knowing everyone
For electives starting summer P1, you guys dont' have as much of a selection as Worcester because your class size is smaller
Disadvantage: Most of the professors teach in Worcester, so you'd have to look at them through distance ed (that TV they showed you during orientation) and when you talk, you talk thru microphones... altho some professors are based in manchester, they teach in manchester as well. Depends if you are a student who needs to go see professors during office hours or can you just be satisfied with emails.

Worcester: classes are bigger, you have more electives to choose from, but that means you have more students fighting for that elective as well. You won't know everyone, but you will get to know who is and isn't P1.

Both places have different "life-styles". Worcester and manchester are diff cities, different things to do.

I'm sure there are other threads going over the comparisons. Try to go into older threads.. i'm sure there are comparisons... coz we were asking those last year too when we were applying!

Thank you very much for your help, but am still a little bit nervous about starting my first year at MCPHS. I am an international student, and this is my first time living alone in the states.

If you don’t mind I have some questions.

What are the most difficulties you faced in your first year? And from the 150 students the school accepts every year, how many finish the program in three.

And again thanks for the help, and sorry if am asking a lot of questions:):).

Thank you very much for your help, but am still a little bit nervous about starting my first year at MCPHS. I am an international student, and this is my first time living alone in the states.

If you don’t mind I have some questions.

What are the most difficulties you faced in your first year? And from the 150 students the school accepts every year, how many finish the program in three.

And again thanks for the help, and sorry if am asking a lot of questions:):).

Most difficult: time management

I dont' know how many people do finish iin 3 years exactly tho.. maybe someone else can shed the light on this.

Hi

Do you live on campus or off?

Hi

Do you live on campus or off?

He lives off campus, and is actually looking for a roommate for the coming year if anyone is interested :). He lives at the 600 Main Street apartments.

hey folks,

just got my blue packet i m so excite:love::love:

does anyone knows hows nightlife in worcester??

see you all in fall..

Hey Diane!! Congrats and welcome to the school!!! I'm a current P1, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask, i'm sure there are other P1s as well as P2s browsing the site..

hi i am planning to live in dorms but dont know much about mcp-w dorms.
basically i love to party/drink so would you suggest dorms or off campus

how are rules in dorm regarding that..

hi i am planning to live in dorms but dont know much about mcp-w dorms.
basically i love to party/drink so would you suggest dorms or off campus

how are rules in dorm regarding that..

Hahaha, I'm right there with you kryptonite, but I think opportunities for partying are going to be limited wherever you live. I don't anticipate having much free time for that, but I'm glad you're optimistic...

Hahaha, I'm right there with you kryptonite, but I think opportunities for partying are going to be limited wherever you live. I don't anticipate having much free time for that, but I'm glad you're optimistic...

MCP-W rules: no alcohol on campus, anywhere including residence halls.

what you do behind closed doors is not anyone's problem, except if you have people complaining, and public safety has to come to your door, and sees/suspects alcohol, you can get in trouble, if you know what i mean.

Resident students here all like to party, i'm sure, but there isn't much time. However, when there is, they usually walk to Irish Times Pub (5 minutes away, not even), or they drive to other bars which are very close by as well.

Greatdeals,
I was wondering if anyone ever moves out of the on-campus apartments mid-year, or if they only do year-long leases. I'm really not digging the idea of the alcohol and visitor limits, however I do want to get myself settled in the area before I look at off-campus apartments.

Greatdeals,
I was wondering if anyone ever moves out of the on-campus apartments mid-year, or if they only do year-long leases. I'm really not digging the idea of the alcohol and visitor limits, however I do want to get myself settled in the area before I look at off-campus apartments.

I am not sure, sorry. You'll be better off calling the Resident Director directly or Financial aid office, i'm sure they'll know to direct you if it's the wrong office, but let me know how it goes!

what you do behind closed doors is not anyone's problem, except if you have people complaining, and public safety has to come to your door, and sees/suspects alcohol, you can get in trouble, if you know what i mean.

Resident students here all like to party, i'm sure, but there isn't much time. However, when there is, they usually walk to Irish Times Pub (5 minutes away, not even), or they drive to other bars which are very close by as well.

I wanted to add to it that anything that you do, it is courtesy to respect quiet times/study times first, meaning if you think that you can have parties in between exams, it is fine, but make sure that your roomates are okay too, which is kind of a limitation for on-campus.

dude..no matter how busy we are we need to get some time off to party nd have fun these are the years man..if you live off campus you can do whatever you want in your appt. on campus you cant throw parties and all other stuff.

just let me know if you find something good off campus.i am visiting some appt may be next week.

thanks. i should stick to offcampus housing.

Hold the phone: no alcohol in the dorms, at all? Aren't most of us going to be over 21 anyway because we're all technically "transfer" students?

I'm not a lush, or anything, but that just doesn't make sense to me :laugh:

Hold the phone: no alcohol in the dorms, at all? Aren't most of us going to be over 21 anyway because we're all technically "transfer" students?

I'm not a lush, or anything, but that just doesn't make sense to me :laugh:

that's school's policy.

It's probably just the policy to respect everyone's space/time. Its obviously a really intense program and your roomate's might not want you partying while they're trying to study. I highly doubt if you're over 21 an RA is gonna give you a hard time about having some beer or wine with dinner, but partying is probably out of the question. Yet another reason I will be living off-campus. Dorm life is for the birds.

Kryptonite, Sarebare, JCSteven....

If you guys are living off campus, have you started looking yet? I have a couple of ideas but I think I'll need to see them in person to know if they're sketchy or not. Do you mind my asking if youre guys/girls, age, etc...are you guys on facebook?

hey all

i was looking forward to living on campus because of the convenience but i didnt know that there was no alcohol allowed! that's crazy! (I just spent 3 years in undergrad with no alcohol allowed...and as an ra myself!)

how are you all going to look for apartments? just online in general? how do we figure out what neighborhoods are ok to live in??

:D

and even though its an intense program, are we really not going to have time to party say friday night, and then study saturday and sat night and sunday? isnt there going to be at least one day available for fun?? ;)

and even though its an intense program, are we really not going to have time to party say friday night, and then study saturday and sat night and sunday? isnt there going to be at least one day available for fun?? ;)
yo trust me..no matter what people say. if you plan everything well you should have sometime for fun..not a lot but one night a week to get trashed!!!

Kryptonite, Sarebare, JCSteven....

If you guys are living off campus, have you started looking yet? I have a couple of ideas but I think I'll need to see them in person to know if they're sketchy or not. Do you mind my asking if youre guys/girls, age, etc...are you guys on facebook?

hey i am living off campus for sure...i did some work and found really nice appts..i was gonna visit them next week (i live in boston, worcester is 2hr from my place) but they told me its too early..and i dont want to move in before august.

also i have a friend there who is graduating this summer. he knows a lot about the area and he would help me.

i am not sure if i would live by myself or share a two bed room appartment. but meanwhile i am looking for two bed appt if someone wants to share it..

oh yeah...22 male

I had interview in february and they put me on wait list because I am taking my organic chemistry and biology-2 in this spring and they need my GPA for these courses. I am not sure they put me on wait list because of my GPA which is 3.88 for math and science and 3.78. If any one knows the reality abt waitlist pls explain.

I had interview in february and they put me on wait list because I am taking my organic chemistry and biology-2 in this spring and they need my GPA for these courses. I am not sure they put me on wait list because of my GPA which is 3.88 for math and science and 3.78. If any one knows the reality abt waitlist pls explain.

hi. I'm not sure why u were waitlisted. I have similar GPA; 3.86 overall and 3.87 m&s, and I have 4 prereqs to finish including ochem II. I was accepted in Feb. Maybe the class is getting full? I was put on hold for my fall grades them had my interview after they were completed.

Hi Everyone! I was recently accepted too! Does anyone know of nice apartments in walking distance from the school?

hi. I'm not sure why u were waitlisted. I have similar GPA; 3.86 overall and 3.87 m&s, and I have 4 prereqs to finish including ochem II. I was accepted in Feb. Maybe the class is getting full? I was put on hold for my fall grades them had my interview after they were completed.
Not even wait listed man...i got rejection today...I hv 8 classes left from which i hv 4 in spring and 4 in summer. but they dont think that i m gonna finish all classes. and I m already a pharmacist from other country and in interviw thy didn't ask me a single question. I was so confident and they make me upset.

My friend got accepted at the Manchester campus. Does anybody here know something about the city, how is there campus over there compared to Worcester and most important which is more expensive Worcester or Manchester.

Not even wait listed man...i got rejection today...I hv 8 classes left from which i hv 4 in spring and 4 in summer. but they dont think that i m gonna finish all classes. and I m already a pharmacist from other country and in interviw thy didn't ask me a single question. I was so confident and they make me upset.

Sorry pankil30, It has got to be that you have so many classes to finish. Doing 4 classes in the spring is alot. I'm sure you will get in next year if you apply again.

Sorry pankil30, It has got to be that you have so many classes to finish. Doing 4 classes in the spring is alot. I'm sure you will get in next year if you apply again.
I hope so..but I am confused because of my status in the USA. I m international student. I did email to brian to know the exact reason. But, do i need to send my all materials again?