Official MCPHS-Worcester Class 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you greatdeals225 for all your time helping us! How is your second semester going? Is it still 2 exams every week? :eek: :( :cry:

Congratulations kboy2379 on your acceptance! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hi greatdeals, i just got accepted and im heading up there soon. i see that you are in csa. my sis in law is the president i believe (e. lee). anyhow, im excited and i know that this program is very very very hard. im living off campus (shrewsberry sp?). i know i should live in a dorm but they won't let my wife and kid live there. so, i kind of have no choice.

im from houston, tx if anyone is curious.

Congrats and welcome!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
more questions......

is the sign up for dorm rooms on a first come first serve?

or is it based on who sends in their acceptance deposit first?

more questions......

is the sign up for dorm rooms on a first come first serve?

or is it based on who sends in their acceptance deposit first?

well.. the new incoming students get to pick their selections after current students finish their selections. The priority is first come first served basis as to the forms they have you fill out. So basically, if you want to absolutely secure this dorm-style, you might want to overnight your form over. If you are choosing a 6-people, i don't think u'd have a problem, but if there are any 2 or 3 ppl styles left, then it all depends on how fast ur mailman delivers it over :p

well.. the new incoming students get to pick their selections after current students finish their selections. The priority is first come first served basis as to the forms they have you fill out. So basically, if you want to absolutely secure this dorm-style, you might want to overnight your form over. If you are choosing a 6-people, i don't think u'd have a problem, but if there are any 2 or 3 ppl styles left, then it all depends on how fast ur mailman delivers it over :p
Just to make sure again, the rooms are still singles regardless of whether they are in 2, 3, or 6-people style right?

Also, do the 2 and 3-people styles have just one bathroom and one kitchen? Is there maid service / housekeepers or is the cleaning completely up to the suitemates?

Just to make sure again, the rooms are still singles regardless of whether they are in 2, 3, or 6-people style right?

Also, do the 2 and 3-people styles have just one bathroom and one kitchen? Is there maid service / housekeepers or is the cleaning completely up to the suitemates?

hmm... yea, the bedrooms are still single. Any apart 3ppl or greater have 2 bathrooms and every suite has 1 kitchen. There is no maid service... cleaning is up to the suitemates. They only have cleaning ppl for the public hallways.

School will send you guys a sketch of the suites and their styles when the time comes, so don't worry.

Thanks greatdeals. I have another question if you don't mind.

What do you know about the community pharmacy entrepreneurship program offered at MCPHS-Worcester? It seems like not many people talk about it even though I think it is a pretty unique aspect of MCPHS. All I know is pretty much what is said on the website, and also from a post DrugDealer once wrote:

"At my interview, I was told there were a few classes you take if you are interested in that pathway (they would be electives), and then you can partner with Amerisource Bergen to open your own pharmacy. I think you would have to get all your generics from them, but I don't know if they help fund the start-up costs or loan money or anything. At orientation, the professor in charge briefly mentioned the program, just adding that you write a business plan in one of the classes. That's about all I know."
(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3238694&postcount=5)

Do you know anyone right now who is thinking of pursuing this option?

Thanks greatdeals. I have another question if you don't mind.

What do you know about the community pharmacy entrepreneurship program offered at MCPHS-Worcester? It seems like not many people talk about it even though I think it is a pretty unique aspect of MCPHS. All I know is pretty much what is said on the website, and also from a post DrugDealer once wrote:

"At my interview, I was told there were a few classes you take if you are interested in that pathway (they would be electives), and then you can partner with Amerisource Bergen to open your own pharmacy. I think you would have to get all your generics from them, but I don’t know if they help fund the start-up costs or loan money or anything. At orientation, the professor in charge briefly mentioned the program, just adding that you write a business plan in one of the classes. That’s about all I know."
(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3238694&postcount=5)

Do you know anyone right now who is thinking of pursuing this option?

I asked about the option during orientation as well, my interviewer just introduced me to Dr. Kelly, and said that I would just have to take a couple more classes and said that there was a time we have to sign up by, but that there was a waiting list. I'm not really sure. You can always email the professor and ask him about it. His name is Edward Kelly

during the 3rd year (rotations), is it allowed anywhere in the U.S. or do we have to stay in the Worcester area? I remember during my interviewed that it may not be allowed anymore but it wasn't a definite answer. Just curious

during the 3rd year (rotations), is it allowed anywhere in the U.S. or do we have to stay in the Worcester area? I remember during my interviewed that it may not be allowed anymore but it wasn't a definite answer. Just curious

It is allowed outside of Worcester with conditions:

1. MCPHS need to have connections there (preceptors that will accept MCPHS students, as some preceptors are not 'registered' with MCPHS)

2. It is a lottery system, those students wishing to do rotations elsewhere need to be entered in a lottery system. I think you have to do at least 2 rotations in MA because that's where the school is located, therefore, i think half of the students wishing to do rotations elsewhere will do first half outside MA then last half in MA, the other 50% will do the opposite. I think that's how I understood it, if anyone thinks another way, please rectify.

That is how I understood it too, but this does bring up several new questions.

MCPHS has prepared more men and women for professional careers in pharmacy than any other academic institution in the world (http://www.mcphs.edu/about_mcphs/), but how much does this actually help? Since I'm from CA I really don't know anything about the East Coast or the New England area. Does MCPHS's huge alumni base actually help in terms of getting a job/residency position/etc. there? How are the students and the school viewed in the East in terms of prestige and stuff?

One factor I need to take into consideration later is how difficult it would be if I wanted to get a job in CA. CA is already filled with 7 and soon maybe 8 pharmacy schools. I am wondering if MCPHS alumni are all clumped in the NE area or if many are in CA too :idea:.

That is how I understood it too, but this does bring up several new questions.

MCPHS has prepared more men and women for professional careers in pharmacy than any other academic institution in the world (http://www.mcphs.edu/about_mcphs/), but how much does this actually help? Since I'm from CA I really don't know anything about the East Coast or the New England area. Does MCPHS's huge alumni base actually help in terms of getting a job/residency position/etc. there? How are the students and the school viewed in the East in terms of prestige and stuff?

One factor I need to take into consideration later is how difficult it would be if I wanted to get a job in CA. CA is already filled with 7 and soon maybe 8 pharmacy schools. I am wondering if MCPHS alumni are all clumped in the NE area or if many are in CA too :idea:.

MCPHS is the 2nd oldest pharmacy school, it has networks all over the country. I don't know how easy/hard it would be for you to find a job in CA, you would have to ask your CA peers for that, but all I know is that pharmacy is still in demand.. so you shouldn't worry about that too much. I know at least a handful people, if not more in my class who are from CA...

and also since there aren't that many pharmacy schools in the new england area, MCPHS is well known.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you greatdeals! I will ask a P3 later. I know he is planning on returning to CA to practice so hopefully he can tell me some stuff. I might ask DrugDealer too since she came from CA. Thanks again :).

hey guys-join our facebook group
mcphs pharmacy '11

Hi. Greatdeals, would you tell me what the dress code is like up there? My entire wardrobe consists of sweatpants and sweatshirts.. and I get the feeling it is prob not the norm up there:oops: Do I need to do some shopping?

Hi. Greatdeals, would you tell me what the dress code is like up there? My entire wardrobe consists of sweatpants and sweatshirts.. and I get the feeling it is prob not the norm up there:oops: Do I need to do some shopping?

i heard that no shorts were allowed. you will need to wear your white coat at all times when you are on campus. jeans, sneakers, and collar shirt should be fine.

any P2/P3 students know the requirements for PDA?

i mailed in my tuition deposit like this past friday, will i be receiving any additional information? or do i have to wait til may?

i mailed in my tuition deposit like this past friday, will i be receiving any additional information? or do i have to wait til may?

you will recieve two letters. the first one saying that the admissions office has recieved your deposit and that you need to complete all your pre-reqs and turn in your official transcript before the semester starts (if you have not completed all your courses already). the second letter is going to inform you that you need certain immunizations/physicals before you attend. It will also tell you in brief form about a student orientation and you will get more info later in the future.

hope that helps and congrats!

do you all who have been p1's think that it would be doable to work weekends during the first semester? I know there are some holiday breaks and possibly the first 3 weeks of January? My hours would be sat and sun from 330p-1130p. (I have enough vacation time to take every weekday off till Jan and still get full time pay and a big holiday bonus if I make it till Jan.) Do you think I'm dreaming? (I have worked full time during undergrad maintaining 3.9)

does anyone know if we take BIOCHEMISTRY during our undergrad, is it possible that it can count towards our pharm course (not take it during P1)?

I don't think so it will be transfered...i had biochemistry for BS and MS but they told me that if I will be accepted ( i will know within 2 wk) anyone of my BS or MS course will not be transfered. I hope they change d system ...

I don't think so it will be transfered...i had biochemistry for BS and MS but they told me that if I will be accepted ( i will know within 2 wk) anyone of my BS or MS course will not be transfered. I hope they change d system ...

Biochem professor is one of the BEST professors... You don't want to miss him. Plus, just get them A's since you will need those high grades for 2nd year. Usually, grades go down significantly in 2nd year and you don't advance to rotation if you don't meet the minimum GPA. So try to get as high gradge as you can in 1st year.

Good luck!

Biochem professor is one of the BEST professors... You don't want to miss him. Plus, just get them A's since you will need those high grades for 2nd year. Usually, grades go down significantly in 2nd year and you don't advance to rotation if you don't meet the minimum GPA. So try to get as high gradge as you can in 1st year.

Good luck!

DrugRX, What is the minimum GPA?

You need at least a 2.2 each semester to move on to the next. D's are okay but an F means you have to wait a whole year to repeat. From the current students I've spoken with, the first year = ridiculously easy/doable, while the second year = ridiculously hard/insane. The third year is when you are thankful for all the torture/preparation :laugh:.

You need at least a 2.2 each semester to move on to the next. D's are okay but an F means you have to wait a whole year to repeat. From the current students I've spoken with, the first year = ridiculously easy/doable, while the second year = ridiculously hard/insane. The third year is when you are thankful for all the torture/preparation :laugh:.

is that 2.2 min for each semester itself, or the overall gpa combined with each semester? so if u got a 2.0 in one semester but overall gpa was say 2.5, can u move on? thx

is that 2.2 min for each semester itself, or the overall gpa combined with each semester? so if u got a 2.0 in one semester but overall gpa was say 2.5, can u move on? thx

It's overall. So, if you have a BS/MS in biochem, get As from Biochem I & II.

Some more advices for in-coming students...
Try to maintain 3.0 in first year. If you can get 3.0 at the end of first year, then you are almost 100% safe to advance to rotation unless you do something seriously stupid(copying literature, cheating... or something). If 3.0 would be a bit challenging for you, then try to aim 2.7 at least. If you end up around 2.5 or below at the end of first year, your life would be difficult!! Also remember the summer in first year is hard so do your best in first and second semester.

First semester: every class is very easy BUT it goes very fast, there are a lot of materials and sooo many tests! The key is time management. Final is cumulative, so grades usually go down after final.

Second semester: easiest semester ever... get as high GPA as you can get! Lab is fun...

Good luck guys...

whats up guys. good to see there is an excited group entering the class this coming fall. i just recently got the good ol' blue folder so looks like i will be seeing you guys in the near future.

anyone here from cali? irvine? fresno?

whats up guys. good to see there is an excited group entering the class this coming fall. i just recently got the good ol' blue folder so looks like i will be seeing you guys in the near future.

Hi, on which date was ur interview?

hey, congrats.

Hi everyone

I got my blue folder this past weekend! I'm so excited to join you guys. Class of 2011 rocks! Now I just gotta complete several prerequisite courses prior to August.

I saw in some other post about a Facebook group that someone setup for MCPHS Pharmacy'11. Can someone help me find it? Did anyone join the group yet?

Congrats on all of you who got accepted.

Hey Drug Doc, I'm from CA too! (NorCal though). Congrats everyone on getting accepted :)

It'll be interesting to see how our class grows in the months to come.

Oh and for those who can't find the Facebook group, the link is:
http://ucsc.facebook.com/group.php?gid=30643265005

I hope that works. Yay Class of 2011!

Hi, I know I already asked this and got an answer. But I was wondering if any current students can tell me what the dress code is? Specifically, can we wear capri/crop pants in the summer? Open toed shoes? I know jeans are pretty much acceptable, and that we have to wear the white coat. Is there a collared shirt requirement? All the school tells me is that professional attire is required. I need to go spend money now while I have it! :)
Thanks

Don't bother, they're not crazy with that....I go to class with a hoodie and jeans at least once a week, sometimes more. Oh yeah, and a white coat and a leash that says who I am.

Just got the blue folder today. Yay class of '11. I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Hi ya'll!

My name is Christine, I'm from CA and have an interview coming up for this school in mid-late March. I'm really excited and nervous about it. You guys seem really friendly and I'd like to join in on this blog. Any suggestions on how to do well on the interview?

Hi ya'll!

My name is Christine, I'm from CA and have an interview coming up for this school in mid-late March. I'm really excited and nervous about it. You guys seem really friendly and I'd like to join in on this blog. Any suggestions on how to do well on the interview?

be yourself, be interested in the school/program/field. ask questions. dont be nervous, it will be a very relaxed environment and everyone is really nice. good luck!

so many peeps from california. anyone yet from CT? anyone commuting?

for those of you that have interviewed, how is the city? is it a big city? public transportation? buildings? friendly community? ive never been to the east coast except for nyc so i don't know what to expect

for those of you that have interviewed, how is the city? is it a big city? public transportation? buildings? friendly community? ive never been to the east coast except for nyc so i don't know what to expect
Hey Christine!

I had my interview back in November so it's been a while, but I can try to answer some of your questions.

This is what my schedule looked like (I don't know where in CA you are at, but either way you'll probably be flying to Logan Airport in Boston anyway):

Wednesday-Thursday, Nov. 28-29 (San Jose International to Logan Airport, Boston; and then to Worcester)
08:32pm - 06:48am :: Fly from San Jose, CA to Boston, MA
06:48am - 07:10am :: Bus from the airport to South Station via the Silver Line
08:00am - 08:55am :: Bus from South Station to Union Station, Worcester
08:55am - 09:05am :: Taxi to Crowne Plaza Hotel, Worcester

Friday, Nov. 30 (Worcester)
06:00am - 06:15am :: Wake up
06:15am - 08:20am :: Eat breakfast + get ready
08:20am - 08:40am :: Walk to MCPHS-Worcester
08:40am - 08:50am :: Wait in lobby
08:50am - 10:50am :: Interview day
10:50am - 11:10am :: Walk back to Crowne Plaza Worcester

When I went there, it was my first time too so I was nervous. The people there are all REALLY nice though! I asked for where to buy tickets and everything like a million times hehe.

The city is big, but you won't need to worry about it because the Union Station is close to MCPHS and Crowne Plaza (if you decide to stay there). That is all for now I really need to start studying for physio. PM me if you have any more questions. I'll try to respond in a timely manner :). GOOD LUCK!!

any complaints from current pharm students? has the grading system improved?

Every year the professors change something based on the previous year's feedbacks.. and I heard from my P3 roomate that therapeutics changed so much (for the better) this year for the P2s compared to her year... which is good!

They don't really care about sandals and open toes.. try not to wear flip flops though.. altho I see some people who wear them.. just don't run into the Dean i guess... :p

for ceutics lab, there's definitely no open-toe allowed (same dress code as for your organic chem labs with googles and stuff)... but for PPP lab in P1 summer, dress code is professional dress... tshirt, slacks.. coz you play the pharmacist there.. so have to dress as if you were going to work, right? :p

I know that some pharmacists wear scrubs to work (esp. those that work in the hospital)...is that okay for the PPP lab in the P1 summer?

I understand that you say that the PPP lab requires a professional dress code but Tshirts wouldn't be considered right? or is that okay with the professors? I was thinking more of like black pants, khakis, and long sleeve button up shirts.

so how is pharmacy school for you greatdeals?

I know that some pharmacists wear scrubs to work (esp. those that work in the hospital)...is that okay for the PPP lab in the P1 summer?

I understand that you say that the PPP lab requires a professional dress code but Tshirts wouldn't be considered right? or is that okay with the professors? I was thinking more of like black pants, khakis, and long sleeve button up shirts.

so how is pharmacy school for you greatdeals?

woops.. did I say tshirt?? i'm sorry.. it was suppose to be shirt :p
we will wear our school lab coats for PPP lab on top of our dress code, i believe..so u dont' need to especially buy scrubs... I don't think khakis would do...

back to class tmr!! spring break was way tooo short!!

for those that have been accepted, have any of you withdrawn from a class? or do you have any "W's" when you were accepted from previous years?

for those that have been accepted, have any of you withdrawn from a class? or do you have any "W's" when you were accepted from previous years?
I didn't. If you are concerned about a class, the W is probably fine if the class isn't a prereq. Maybe you should call the admissions office to confirm though.

I had a few W's, one for chem I, soc I, and a few for classes that weren't prereqs. They were from about 7+ years ago though. I didnt retake them until last year.

Do any of you know when the book list comes out? And also, do we wait to apply for loans and such until after we receive our award package from the school? Thank you ;)

Hey guys! I just got my blue folder last week and am 99.99% sure I'll be attending MCPHS-W in the fall :) I look forward to meeting all of you. Anyone coming from NY?

Hey guys! I just got my blue folder last week and am 99.99% sure I'll be attending MCPHS-W in the fall :) I look forward to meeting all of you. Anyone coming from NY?

Hi, when did you have interview? how long did you wait after you submited your application? I am from NY, but i did not hear anything back from them.

by the way, did you apply through PHamcas? will they put you in MCPHS -W or you chosen it