Official Mt. Holyoke Post-Bacc Premed 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlaskaScribe

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hear our class is small (like maybe 7 to 12 of us total in the new class?). Dr. Gardner is leaving the program so we'll wind up with a new head at some point who may/may not teach the Gen Bio section.

Anyone else enrolled in the summer session of Gen Chem?

I'd love to chat with anyone else headed that way.

See you in May!
 
Hey!
I just interviewed yesterday, actually. I felt that it went well, but it's going to be an extremely quick turnaround and I'll find out if I got in either today or tomorrow (I'm a little nervous.)

If I do get in, I'll post-- but it's between a couple schools for me at the moment. What have you heard about the program?
I'm a ltitle disappointed Dr. Gardner is leaving, because he seems like one of the HUGEST assets to Holyoke's PBPM program, but he did mention that the students are helping with the search so I'm not THAT upset.
 
Hi! I think I will be starting in May as well! I had no idea they were interviewing so late- good luck!

I hadn't heard about Dr. Gardner leaving. That's a bummer. What I have heard about the program is that the small classes and close advising are really essential to taking on the challenging classes. I'm going to be trying to do this in 1 year. Anyone else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I've decided to not attend the program as Dr. Gardner has already left and there is no replacement in sight. It's also incredibly isolating and the program has wittled down to just 2 in the summer (including me) and 2 in the fall so I got worried about the lack of community. I hope whoever decides to attend the best, but I would advise against it!
 
Hey everyone, I've decided to not attend the program as Dr. Gardner has already left and there is no replacement in sight. It's also incredibly isolating and the program has wittled down to just 2 in the summer (including me) and 2 in the fall so I got worried about the lack of community. I hope whoever decides to attend the best, but I would advise against it!

Aww, bummer. I was the other one this summer. I'm sticking it out (I've committed the money already).

I guess the lack of a leader doesn't bother me as much because, well, I had the same thing happen in undergrad to my major department (we lost two long-time professors and leaders the summer before my senior year, and there were only 5 professors total). The program survives and so do the students. New people with new ideas come in, and one of the best professors I've had came from that change up. I think the low new student count might be an advantage if we're getting a new head -- at least they won't be as overwhelmed with only 3+ of us 😀

School is what you make of it. Great advisers help, but they aren't make or break to me (of course, I didn't have a very genial relationship with my adviser by the time I graduated, ymmv). I'm going to Holyoke because they accepted me and because they have some sort of a system in place. The fancy name on top of the transcripts doesn't hurt. Holyoke is a faster and only slightly more expensive way for me to get into med school versus going to my state university, who has no idea about what I'm trying to do.