Official: Penn Pre-Health 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Trismegistus4

Credential Non-Respecter
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think I've ever seen an "official" Penn thread before. Glad to be able to be a pioneer.

I just received my acceptance letter today. So, whom will I be seeing in General Chemistry starting May 17th? Anyone starting in the fall?
 
Trismegistus4 said:
I don't think I've ever seen an "official" Penn thread before. Glad to be able to be a pioneer.

I just received my acceptance letter today. So, whom will I be seeing in General Chemistry starting May 17th? Anyone starting in the fall?


I will be in the special sci program at Penn. You may see me in either Physics I or Calc II class!
Are you staying on campus or in an off campus apartment?

cya there! 😀
 
Yeah Penn!!!

CSG????

I am gonna try for next year... Glad there is a place I can get the "scoop" 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
riceman04 said:
I will be in the special sci program at Penn. You may see me in either Physics I or Calc II class!
Are you staying on campus or in an off campus apartment?

cya there! 😀
I think I already have all the calculus I need (provided I do a self-directed review of stuff I learned 10 years ago 😎 ), but if you're taking Physics I in the fall, I'll see you there.

Right now I live in the suburbs, and according to the SEPTA schedules I've been able to find, the best way to get there is a 37 minute train ride to 30th St station. My lease goes month-to-month in July, so I'm debating whether or not to move down there. On the one hand, I'd be able to walk to class and any volunteering or work gigs I might manage to get at the hospital, and it would be easier to attend the special events they have for students as well as any class recitations/drills. On the other hand, I'd have to pay city wage tax and probably give up the luxury I've become accustomed to for the past few years of having my own place. Where are you staying?
 
Trismegistus4 said:
I think I already have all the calculus I need (provided I do a self-directed review of stuff I learned 10 years ago 😎 ), but if you're taking Physics I in the fall, I'll see you there.

Right now I live in the suburbs, and according to the SEPTA schedules I've been able to find, the best way to get there is a 37 minute train ride to 30th St station. My lease goes month-to-month in July, so I'm debating whether or not to move down there. On the one hand, I'd be able to walk to class and any volunteering or work gigs I might manage to get at the hospital, and it would be easier to attend the special events they have for students as well as any class recitations/drills. On the other hand, I'd have to pay city wage tax and probably give up the luxury I've become accustomed to for the past few years of having my own place. Where are you staying?

Not sure if I am going to stay on or off. After my mom noticed that most of my classes would be at night, she said she would rather I stay on campus. I will still be going there early to see what my options are.
 
Trismegistus4 said:
I don't think I've ever seen an "official" Penn thread before. Glad to be able to be a pioneer.

I just received my acceptance letter today. So, whom will I be seeing in General Chemistry starting May 17th? Anyone starting in the fall?


Hi All. Congratulations on your accomplishments. Anyway, I am hoping to get into the Penn post bac program in a year. My stats are as follows:

Science GPA = 4.0 (Gen chem 1, Gen chem 2, physics 1, physics 2, calc 1, calc 2, Gen bio 1, Gen bio 2, all taken 6-7 years ago at community college, so hopefully don't disqualify me for post bac);

undergrad overall GPA (Lehigh U, business economics) = 3.84;

graduate overall GPA (Lehigh U, M.S. accounting) = 3.87;

SAT = 1330;

Negligible lab/clinical experience.

Do you all think I have any shot at getting in if I get some lab work and clinical volunteer work under my belt during the next year? Would you all mind giving your stats (confidentially, of course) so that I have an idea of what it takes? Thanks, and sorry if this post should not be done in your "It's official" area.
 
chopsmith said:
Hi All. Congratulations on your accomplishments. Anyway, I am hoping to get into the Penn post bac program in a year. My stats are as follows:

Science GPA = 4.0 (Gen chem 1, Gen chem 2, physics 1, physics 2, calc 1, calc 2, Gen bio 1, Gen bio 2, all taken 6-7 years ago at community college, so hopefully don't disqualify me for post bac);

undergrad overall GPA (Lehigh U, business economics) = 3.84;

graduate overall GPA (Lehigh U, M.S. accounting) = 3.87;

SAT = 1330;

Negligible lab/clinical experience.

Do you all think I have any shot at getting in if I get some lab work and clinical volunteer work under my belt during the next year? Would you all mind giving your stats (confidentially, of course) so that I have an idea of what it takes? Thanks, and sorry if this post should not be done in your "It's official" area.

Your stats are good. I know your science classes are 6-7 years old, but with your #'s and since you already have a degree, why are you doing a post-bac? Have you applied to medical schools yet?

Are you doing the post-bacc as an MCAT review? Just taking a few science classes in case the ad com's poh-pooh your cc pre-re's?

If I had your numbers I would take the MCAT and go ahead and apply.

edit.... I just noticed you hadn't taken O-chem.

You'll do great.
 
chopsmith said:
Hi All. Congratulations on your accomplishments. Anyway, I am hoping to get into the Penn post bac program in a year. My stats are as follows:

Science GPA = 4.0 (Gen chem 1, Gen chem 2, physics 1, physics 2, calc 1, calc 2, Gen bio 1, Gen bio 2, all taken 6-7 years ago at community college, so hopefully don't disqualify me for post bac);

undergrad overall GPA (Lehigh U, business economics) = 3.84;

graduate overall GPA (Lehigh U, M.S. accounting) = 3.87;

SAT = 1330;

Negligible lab/clinical experience.

Do you all think I have any shot at getting in if I get some lab work and clinical volunteer work under my belt during the next year? Would you all mind giving your stats (confidentially, of course) so that I have an idea of what it takes? Thanks, and sorry if this post should not be done in your "It's official" area.

I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like you are a candidate for the Special Science program, not the Pre-Health program. Is that what you're thinking? I don't think they would admit people to the Pre-Health program who have taken 6 of the 8 core pre-reqs. If your intent is to retake them, I don't know what to tell you. It sounds to me like you're a good candidate for the special science program as long as you get started with some clinical volunteering soon, but you may want to call them to find out what to do about not having taken organic yet. Their advisors will happily answer questions over the phone. I agree with sunnyjohn though; if you've taken all but organic already and have a good GPA, why don't you just take organic and the MCAT and apply to med school? You could save yourself the trouble of going through a whole program.

My stats: BA in Music, C-/B+ in Gen Chem I/II respectively freshman year of college, A/A- in Calc I/II, F in multivariable calc, D in Advanced Topics in Graph Theory, called it quits with math after sophomore year 😉, mostly As and Bs for the rest of my academic career. 3.1 overall GPA. 4 1/2 years work experience as an IT guy at a big pharma company, 9 months of volunteering in an ER. I got into the Pre-Health program.
 
Trismegistus4 said:
I don't think I've ever seen an "official" Penn thread before. Glad to be able to be a pioneer.

I just received my acceptance letter today. So, whom will I be seeing in General Chemistry starting May 17th? Anyone starting in the fall?


I will be starting the CGS undergrad program in the fall. I am going to be taking primarily day classes, but will take a few at night as well to keep costs down. I am a biochem major so I will probably see you in my science classes, still have physics and orgo to go for my medical prereqs.
 
sunnyjohn said:
Your stats are good. I know your science classes are 6-7 years old, but with your #'s and since you already have a degree, why are you doing a post-bac? Have you applied to medical schools yet?

Are you doing the post-bacc as an MCAT review? Just taking a few science classes in case the ad com's poh-pooh your cc pre-re's?

If I had your numbers I would take the MCAT and go ahead and apply.

edit.... I just noticed you hadn't taken O-chem.

You'll do great.

Thanks. Actually, I would very much like to retake everything if I can find a way to afford it. I think that this will make me a better scientist and doctor in general, which is the real goal. Certainly, it will also improve my preparedness for the MCAT, and it cannot be scoffed at by admissions committees. Thanks for the advice and motivation.
 
Trismegistus4 said:
I'm not sure, but it sounds to me like you are a candidate for the Special Science program, not the Pre-Health program. Is that what you're thinking? I don't think they would admit people to the Pre-Health program who have taken 6 of the 8 core pre-reqs. If your intent is to retake them, I don't know what to tell you. It sounds to me like you're a good candidate for the special science program as long as you get started with some clinical volunteering soon, but you may want to call them to find out what to do about not having taken organic yet. Their advisors will happily answer questions over the phone. I agree with sunnyjohn though; if you've taken all but organic already and have a good GPA, why don't you just take organic and the MCAT and apply to med school? You could save yourself the trouble of going through a whole program.

My stats: BA in Music, C-/B+ in Gen Chem I/II respectively freshman year of college, A/A- in Calc I/II, F in multivariable calc, D in Advanced Topics in Graph Theory, called it quits with math after sophomore year 😉, mostly As and Bs for the rest of my academic career. 3.1 overall GPA. 4 1/2 years work experience as an IT guy at a big pharma company, 9 months of volunteering in an ER. I got into the Pre-Health program.

Thanks for the thoughts and the stats. Congratulations on the acceptance. About what I want to do, please see my immediately prior post. Yeah, I'm going to try to set up appointments with the two pre-health advisors for sometime next week. They may very well point me towards the special sciences program, which I guess would be fine. Do you know if Penn's linkages apply to that program as well as to the Pre-health program? I saw that the acceptance rate out of that program is 85%, compared to 95% for the Pre-health program. I wonder why that is? Thanks again.
 
Chop,

While most here will agree that O-chem and Physics classes prepare you for the MCAT, they have little or nothing to do with what you learn in med school.

I have heard it said a million times on SDN biochem would be better prep.

Penn is a few bucks, and based on the folks who post here, you do have very competitive numbers. Have you considered taking O-chem this summer and perhaps the Kaplan or TPR prep course for the MCAT? Would save you some money and time.

If you knock the MCAT ball out of the park with the test this August, the age of your pre-req's (and where you took them) will be moot...

A 4.0 BCPM(science GPA), a 3.84 GPA AND a graduate degree! Man, lets trade #'s!!! If you auctioned off your stats in here, the bidding would be fierce!!! :meanie:

I certainly understand wanting all the ducks in a row. I was all set to redo my prereq's and an additional 75 undergrad hours 'til Phil-A and a few folks in here "talked me in off that ledge!!!" :scared:

Of course, each of us must go our own way. With your past numbers and experience, you will do great at Penn or wherever you choose!!!
 
sunnyjohn said:
Chop,

While most here will agree that O-chem and Physics classes prepare you for the MCAT, they have little or nothing to do with what you learn in med school.

I have heard it said a million times on SDN biochem would be better prep.

Penn is a few bucks, and based on the folks who post here, you do have very competitive numbers. Have you considered taking O-chem this summer and perhaps the Kaplan or TPR prep course for the MCAT? Would save you some money and time.

If you knock the MCAT ball out of the park with the test this August, the age of your pre-req's (and where you took them) will be moot...

A 4.0 BCPM(science GPA), a 3.84 GPA AND a graduate degree! Man, lets trade #'s!!! If you auctioned off your stats in here, the bidding would be fierce!!! :meanie:

I certainly understand wanting all the ducks in a row. I was all set to redo my prereq's and an additional 75 undergrad hours 'til Phil-A and a few folks in here "talked me in off that ledge!!!" :scared:

Of course, each of us must go our own way. With your past numbers and experience, you will do great at Penn or wherever you choose!!!

LOL. Thanks for the insights. Are you saying that you are entering the program, but that you are not going to be taking all the classes (2 chems, 2 bios, 2 physics, 2 ochems, math)? How many of the prereqs are you not taking at Penn? If I simply take ochem and do MCAT prep, I don't see how I will gain either the clinical volunteer work or the research experience that I want and that supposedly improves my chances of gaining admission to med school. Isn't it easier to get meaningful research experience if you are a full-fledged Pre-health student? Hopefully I will have a route planned out after speaking with the advisors. Have you spoken with them? Are they helpful? Thanks again.
 
chopsmith said:
LOL. Thanks for the insights. Are you saying that you are entering the program, but that you are not going to be taking all the classes (2 chems, 2 bios, 2 physics, 2 ochems, math)? How many of the prereqs are you not taking at Penn? If I simply take ochem and do MCAT prep, I don't see how I will gain either the clinical volunteer work or the research experience that I want and that supposedly improves my chances of gaining admission to med school. Isn't it easier to get meaningful research experience if you are a full-fledged Pre-health student? Hopefully I will have a route planned out after speaking with the advisors. Have you spoken with them? Are they helpful? Thanks again.

Yes they were helpful. No I am not going to retake my prereqs. I think Penn is great. It is a toss up between Penn, the Medical Master's at EVMS (which has an awesome acceptance rate to med school) or the program at UTDallas.

Many people go the EMT route for clinical volunteer experience. They take a short term EMT-Basic class and either work on a rig or in an ER. You would be AMAZED what you will see and the docs will teach you and let you do if you show interest.

You've mentioned "research experience" a number of times. Are you hoping for the MSTP, or the MD/PHD? Lots of folks have gotten into med school with no research experience. Yes, it does make you look better at the places with a research focus but it is far from a requirement.

Have you taken a look at the NIH summer programs in research?
 
Chop....

Send a PM to the pre-allo moderator Phil-Anthropist or post here requesting his help...

Seriously, Phil is a post-bac genius... If you give him your #'s and details, he will come back with so many options your head will spin!!!

Phil gives solid, researched advice...None of the anxious pre-med, anxiety-filled, rumor feed stuff.... :scared:

He has probably talked to every post-bac progran advisor in the country...And more than a few med school ad com's....


He may be busy, but he will eventually get back to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I'm really slow. I haven't even finished my application yet!

Congratulations to you. I remember feeling an affinity as I read about your path to pre-health.

I hope there are still some open spots.....Has anyone heard about the class filling up?