*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2011*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i'm a second year med student. if you want someone to be very honest with your essay then feel free to give it to me =)

If someone is available to read my ps, I'd appreciate it if you would pm me. I have tried contacting quite a few people on the list, but no response yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I am applying for the 2011 cycle and was wondering if someone can look at my PS for me before i submit the final copy on my AMCAS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can take a look at my personal statement, I have a great story! Please PM me

i was just wondering if anyone was able to read my personal statement as well, it's pretty funny, but im not sure if it's what a personal statement should be like so constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated =)

You guys are still working on ur PS? Wow that's late. :p. Good luck

I was wondering if anyone would be able to look at my Personal Statement as well. My intention is to apply broadly this cycle to DO schools, if I dont get in then I will apply for the next. But I realize that the Personal Statement is a really important essay and I want to make sure that it is perfect. I would appreciate constructive criticism. Please PM me, because I already tried messaging countless number of people on SDN with no response. Thank you.

Anyone still available to read over a PS? PM me...thanks! :)

I'm not longer able to read, please remove until 06/15/11

Good luck everyone!

Hi guys, I am a non-trad with a freshly-minted JD applying to MD schools. I would appreciate if any kind souls would be able to comment on my PS.
(It would help if you have a JD, but that does not necessarily make for a good critique. J

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would appreciate honest feedback from any personal statement readers. Please send me a message. Thank you.

I can take a look at some essays. I've been reading up on a lot of writing and style guides, and plus do a lot of reading in general. I will give praise where it's deserved but otherwise I won't hold back!

I can take a look at some essays for grammar, style and content. PM if you want more details about my credentials and or want me to read your PS.

Have had a very successful application season in addition to several successful grant, scholarship, and award applications. Have proofed an NSF grant. Will not send my PS, will only read each PS once in all likelihood. Not the best at catching tiny grammar mistakes, more big picture things. May not be the most tender of all editors, may be prone to being harsh.

PMed a few people, no response. Can Anyone read my PS?

Hello, I realized it's the holiday season, but will anyone be available to read my personal statement and/or secondary essays? Any help is appreciated (big picture, grammar, content...anything).

Thank you. Have a wonderful, hopefully relaxing, holiday!

Hello,

I am a long time lurker who finally registered because I wrote my PS! Exciting times. I would just send it to people instead of bumping but people who said they'd be ok to read posted earlier this year and now that this year is ending, they might not be interested in reading anymore.

So I have a PS and if anyone thinks they can help me, please PM me or email me at [email protected]

I'd be more than happy to send it to you - I've written whats a first draft and want feed back so I can rework it.

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

I too was wondering if there was anyone available to read through my personal statement. I would be most appreciative!

Got a personal statement.. PM if you down to read it please list credentials and expertise. I need four readers:thumbup:

If you still need someone to revise your PS, please email it to me as an attachment at [email protected]. I received a T on my writing sample, first-authored a publication, and have plenty of English tutoring experience.

Please do **NOT** private message me inquiring if I am able to look at your essay. Simply follow the directions above. :thumbup:

Still hoping to find readers for my personal statement. Please PM me if you have time. Any type of review would be helpful.

Apologies in advance if a 2012 cycle PS thread has been started and I somehow missed it..

Hi everyone,

I just finished my PS. This is a really rough draft, so I need all the help I can get. Right now, I'm not editing for grammar or sentence structure, but more so on the content, tone, and composition.

Please have prior experience.

Thanks! :)

If anyone would be willing to peruse my personal statement rough draft, I would appreciate it. I'm looking for any pointers and advice from all you brilliant people :D

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to read my introductions for my personal statement. Yes, only the introduction and yes, plural. I just want opinions on which one you think is the best idea/most engaging. I have trouble writing an essay if I don't have my introduction written, and right now I can't decide which one to go with. You may think that is silly and inefficient, but that's just the way it works for me! I could really use several opinions, so please let me know if any of y'all could read just 2 paragraphs, and I'll send them to you. Mostly I'm just looking for which idea you like better, but any constructive criticism is appreciated! Thanks!

Looking for readers of my personal statement. PM me if your willing and able. Thanks!

I can read personal statements for general content and grammar.

Credentials:
Got invites at a large number of schools and have a few acceptances. I feel that I can be honest in giving feedback. I will give preference to long time SDNers.

Edit: I'm burnt out from this process and can't look at another PS right now. I won't be looking at any PSes for a while, so don't bother sending them until further notice. Sorry if you already sent it. I'm just not in the mood right now.

Last edited:
Wondering if there is anyone willing to critique MD/PhD specific essays for content (not grammar and spelling). PM me if you are.

I am also willing to read personal statements for content and style. I consider myself a pretty good writer and won many writing awards in undergrad. PM me :)

I can read MD essays for content, grammar, style, reflective analysis, and everything else. I consider myself an excellent writer - I got really positive comments on my personal statement in a couple interviews (and I didn't write about cancer or anything), and I know I got some interviews based off my secondary essays. Feel free to PM me!

I can read PSes for content, style, grammar, reflective analysis, etc. I don't have any legitimate credentials (English major, etc.), but I have a Biology degree, had multiple interviews and acceptances, and had low numbers on my GPA/MCAT. I believe my PS and interviews are what made me a strong candidate. I got several compliments on my PS from interviewers. One said, "I didn't want to put it down." I made a R on the writing portion. I consider myself competent enough to edit grammatically, but I am not foolproof of course.

I can read MD essays for content, grammar, style, reflective analysis, and everything else. I consider myself an excellent writer - I got really positive comments on my personal statement in a couple interviews (and I didn't write about cancer or anything), and I know I got some interviews based off my secondary essays. Feel free to PM me!

Note -- I'm unavailable for the next month (will be traveling until the end of March).

definitely willing to read personal statement. just PM me your statement.

I can read PSes for content, style, grammar, reflective analysis, etc. I don't have any legitimate credentials (English major, etc.), but I have a Biology degree, had multiple interviews and acceptances, and had low numbers on my GPA/MCAT. I believe my PS and interviews are what made me a strong candidate. I got several compliments on my PS from interviewers. One said, "I didn't want to put it down." I made a R on the writing portion. I consider myself competent enough to edit grammatically, but I am not foolproof of course.

I can recommend goldenwest - they are really good.

I have a question about writing the PS, and I'm not sure if this is the right place but oh well.

If I am doing the theme on "why I want to be a doctor" is it bad if I talk about how I didn't want to be a doctor at first because it seemed difficult?

Would like someone to read my PS for broad idea and detail punctuation and grammar. Very, Very rough draft, could use some help :) PM me if you're willing to read :)

I'm willing to read. I'm currently in a year off between college and starting med school in the fall. Just PM me, I was a chemistry major in college, scored relatively well on the MCAT, and have landed 6 acceptances so far this cycle. Willing to read for content, grammar, or just willing to brainstorm general ideas.

Hi, is anyone from the Readers list still available to read over my personal statement draft? I messaged a few people but didn't get a response, I'm guessing they're swamped with other requests.

Anywho, if you're free and willing to critique my personal statement for flow, concepts, etc., please let me know. I'd consider my personal statement to be relatively 'complete,' but am not opposed to rewriting from scratch if it's not good enough. If possible, I'd prefer someone who has successfully gone through this process before, since I could use some guidance. Thanks everyone!

I'll be able to read a few... I've been involve in admissions committee in a professional school and read few, who were applying and would be happy to provide feedbacks.

I just finished up my first draft and would love it if someone could read through it and offer advice...I am trying to address W's on my transcript, some ongoing medical problems, as well as the more "normal" things people talk about. It would be an added bonus if you have some knowledge about what admissions committees look for. Please PM me if you are willing! Thanks much! :)

Also just finished a draft and would love the help of you bright folks to make it better. Let me know who I can send it to!

Hi all, I sent PMs to a bunch of people, but if anyone sees this post and has some free time, I have another PS that needs some help. :)

Thanks in advance, you guys are great!

Hi all, I sent PMs to a bunch of people, but if anyone sees this post and has some free time, I have another PS that needs some help. :)

Thanks in advance, you guys are great!

Hey adenine, can you let me know who provides some good advice?

Hey adenine, can you let me know who provides some good advice?

Sure - once I get the edits back. Still working on previous edits, hopefully in a week or so I'll have more feedback. :)

I need an edit and am willing to edit PS.

My PS needs 33 characters eliminated, otherwise I feel comfortable with the copy.

PM me if you can edit or need edits.

Status
Not open for further replies.