*~*~*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2018-2019*~*~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm applying next cycle and beginning to think about writing my personal statement. I know the personal statement is supposed to answer "why medicine" but I don't feel like I have a distinct moment of deciding to be a physician. It was more of a nagging feeling over a number of years.

Also, I have heard conflicting advice about mentioning family illness in personal statements. I recently heard Dr. Ryan Gray on a premed podcast say if the moment you realized you wanted to be a physician was from a family member's illness, then write about it. I've also heard advice to definitely not mention family.

Any advice for someone without a distinct "why medicine" moment?

I will chime in as one of the adcoms on this forum, and as someone who reads a lot of personal statements each year. For starters, ignore everything @The Dragon Slayer has posted. It's not that it's 100% incorrect, but there is not point in trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Every adcom reads the application a bit differently, so if you ask 12 of us you might get 11 answers, but here is some advice that I think will withstand most scrutiny: just give us clear, honest answers. Most of us aren't looking for an experience. If you had an "Aha!" moment then say it. If it's been a background rumbling in your life and now reaching a crescendo, then say that. If a family illness spurred you forward, write about it. If you grew up in hardship then convey it. If not, that's fine too. The PS of one of my favorite students essentially started off with "I'm a nondescript middle class white kid."

It is a very common misconception that your PS needs to somehow stand out in a crowded field. This leads occasional people to craft some pretty strange statements. While I appreciate the entertainment value, you're generally better off if a reviewer closes your application saying "I have a decent idea of who this person is and why they want to attend medical school" rather than "Who gave advice to this weirdo?"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I will chime in as one of the adcoms on this forum, and as someone who reads a lot of personal statements each year. For starters, ignore everything @The Dragon Slayer has posted. It's not that it's 100% incorrect, but there is not point in trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Every adcom reads the application a bit differently, so if you ask 12 of us you might get 11 answers, but here is some advice that I think will withstand most scrutiny: just give us clear, honest answers. Most of us aren't looking for an experience. If you had an "Aha!" moment then say it. If it's been a background rumbling in your life and now reaching a crescendo, then say that. If a family illness spurred you forward, write about it. If you grew up in hardship then convey it. If not, that's fine too. The PS of one of my favorite students essentially started off with "I'm a nondescript middle class white kid."

It is a very common misconception that your PS needs to somehow stand out in a crowded field. This leads occasional people to craft some pretty strange statements. While I appreciate the entertainment value, you're generally better off if a reviewer closes your application saying "I have a decent idea of who this person is and why they want to attend medical school" rather than "Who gave advice to this weirdo?"
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your input, I really appreciate it! I think I have a better idea of how to begin now.

Reactions: 1 user

I concur 100% with my learned colleagues, and also exhort SDNers that it might be more worthwhile to not only listen to Adcom members, but also to people who have actually been accepted, and ignore the bitter rants of people who have been rejected 3-4 consecutive cycles. This isn't the Argument from Authority, rather, the Argument from Experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying next cycle and beginning to think about writing my personal statement. I know the personal statement is supposed to answer "why medicine" but I don't feel like I have a distinct moment of deciding to be a physician. It was more of a nagging feeling over a number of years.

Also, I have heard conflicting advice about mentioning family illness in personal statements. I recently heard Dr. Ryan Gray on a premed podcast say if the moment you realized you wanted to be a physician was from a family member's illness, then write about it. I've also heard advice to definitely not mention family.

Any advice for someone without a distinct "why medicine" moment?
For some, the path to Medicine is evolutionary, like yours. You've always wanted to be a doctor.

For other, the path is revolutionary....a brush with serious illness or death does it.

For you, OK, you've always wanted to be a doctor. What have you done that has cemented this calling...or kept it on fire? Do NOT make your PS a list of things you've done...but rather, how have these events affected you and kept you on the path?

For some, the path to Medicine is evolutionary, like yours. You've always wanted to be a doctor.

For other, the path is revolutionary....a brush with serious illness or death does it.

For you, OK, you've always wanted to be a doctor. What have you done that has cemented this calling...or kept it on fire? Do NOT make your PS a list of things you've done...but rather, how have these events affected you and kept you on the path?
Thanks Goro, I appreciate the feedback!

This thread is for this year's applicants who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

Link to last year's thread

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated this year. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post, with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2016 applicants. :thumbup:

Specific comments, questions, or complaints can be addressed to me (@Lucca), @gyngyn, or @WedgeDawg via PM.

Official Personal Statement Guide thread, Alejandro's Personal Statement Advice, and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.
  • Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:
  • If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.
  • Obviously don't share someone's PS with anyone else without the writer's permission
Instructions for Readers
  1. Click "quote" on the most recent post.
  2. Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address. If you aren't sure how to write this part, look at the OP from last year's thread for examples.
  3. Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
  4. If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and move your name into the inactive list

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff
Please remember that these people are volunteering their time. Be nice to them!

Good luck! Let me know if you have questions!

Reactions: 3 users
EDIT: MAKE SURE YOU READ TO THE END TO FIND THE CURRENT LIST OF AVAILABLE READERS! I'm getting a lot of messages from people who haven't read all the way down to see that I've been unavailable for several weeks. This takes time away from reading statements of people who did follow the guidelines of the post!

Readers Available:

• BirdsMan| MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Will comment on grammar, content, theme, flow, anything you want. Will not be available after June 12 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Readers Available:
  • BirdsMan| MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Will comment on grammar, content, theme, flow, anything you want. Will not be available after June 12 2018
  • Sss1219| Nontrad, Reapplicant, SMP grad, matriculating MD this fall. Happy to comment on anything, but especially good with grammar/flow. Probably will be most helpful for redemption students, but willing to work with whoever needs an extra set of eyes.

Readers Available:
  • BirdsMan| MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Will comment on grammar, content, theme, flow, anything you want. Will not be available after June 12 2018
  • Sss1219| Nontrad, Reapplicant, SMP grad, matriculating MD this fall. Happy to comment on anything, but especially good with grammar/flow. Probably will be most helpful for redemption students, but willing to work with whoever needs an extra set of eyes.
  • JonathanHusky| reapplicant, matriculating MD in August. Went through a loooot of drafts of my PS so I can tell you exactly what NOT to do lol. Can comment on flow, content, theme, or w/e you want.

Readers Available:
  • JonathanHusky| reapplicant, matriculating MD in August. Went through a loooot of drafts of my PS so I can tell you exactly what NOT to do lol. Can comment on flow, content, theme, or w/e you want.
Readers NOT Available:
  • BirdsMan| *24 hours in and I am already overwhelmed with requests! I will get through what I have in my inbox and then reopen* MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Please PM me a link to a google doc of your PS with 1-2 things you want me to focus on (theme, content, grammar, flow, etc). Will not be available after June 12 2018

Reactions: 1 users
Readers Available:
  • TelemarketingEnigma | Matriculating MD (+MPH?) this summer. BA, first time applicant, 2 gap years. Looking for procrastination material when I'm bored at work. Happy to nitpick grammar/style/flow or more general content, but I won't rewrite it for you. CARS was my favorite MCAT section.
Readers NOT Available:
  • BirdsMan| *24 hours in and I am already overwhelmed with requests! I will get through what I have in my inbox and then reopen* MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Please PM me a link to a google doc of your PS with 1-2 things you want me to focus on (theme, content, grammar, flow, etc). Will not be available after June 12 2018

Readers Available:
  • BirdsMan| MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Please PM me a link to a google doc of your PS along with 1-2 things you want me to focus on (theme, content, grammar, flow, etc). Will not be available after June 12 2018
  • TelemarketingEnigma | Matriculating MD (+MPH?) this summer. BA, first time applicant, 2 gap years. Looking for procrastination material when I'm bored at work. Happy to nitpick grammar/style/flow or more general content, but I won't rewrite it for you. CARS was my favorite MCAT section.
Readers NOT Available:

Readers Available:
  • BirdsMan| MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Please PM me a link to a google doc of your PS along with 1-2 things you want me to focus on (theme, content, grammar, flow, etc). Will not be available after June 12 2018
  • success16| Matriculating MD in the Fall. International student. BS, first time applicant, 2 gap years. Had tons of help with my PS, would love to pay it forward. Also looking for things to while I go through this last month of work. I will read for general flow and will only correct grammar/heavily edit if I think your PS answers the question "why medicine?" May not have best access to internet after July. Probably will be more helpful to minority and non-Canadian international students (mostly because I am more likely to relate to their stories), but all are welcome. PM me to get email.
Readers NOT Available:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Readers Available:
  • success16| Matriculating MD in August. International student. BS, first time applicant, 2 gap years. Had tons of help with my PS, would love to pay it forward. Also looking for things to while I go through this last month of work. I will read for general flow and will only correct grammar/heavily edit if I think your PS answers the question "why medicine?" May not have best access to internet after July. Probably will be more helpful to minority and non-Canadian international students (mostly because I am more likely to relate to their stories), but all are welcome. PM me to get email.
Readers NOT Available:
  • TelemarketingEnigma | Temporarily closed while I get through current backlog. Matriculating MD (+MPH?) this summer. BA, first time applicant, 2 gap years. Looking for procrastination material when I'm bored at work. Happy to nitpick grammar/style/flow or more general content, but I won't rewrite it for you. CARS was my favorite MCAT section.

Hello Everyone,

I'm a re applicant and I'm editing my personal statement from last year as I figured it needed some extra work. Would anyone be willing to take a look at it and provide me with a feedback regarding the flow of it!

Thankssss

sure. If you put it in a Google Doc and give me at least comment privileges and DM me (direct message), i could provide feedback

I could give it a go

Looking for someone to read over two PS and get some advice on them

Readers Available:
  • success16| Matriculating MD in August. International student. BS, first time applicant, 2 gap years. Had tons of help with my PS, would love to pay it forward. Also looking for things to while I go through this last month of work. I will read for general flow and will only correct grammar/heavily edit if I think your PS answers the question "why medicine?" May not have best access to internet after July. Probably will be more helpful to minority and non-Canadian international students (mostly because I am more likely to relate to their stories), but all are welcome. PM me to get email.
Readers NOT Available:
  • TelemarketingEnigma | Temporarily closed while I get through current backlog. Matriculating MD (+MPH?) this summer. BA, first time applicant, 2 gap years. Looking for procrastination material when I'm bored at work. Happy to nitpick grammar/style/flow or more general content, but I won't rewrite it for you. CARS was my favorite MCAT section.
  • BirdsMan| Closed while I get through my backlog and finish writing a paper! MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Please PM me a link to a google doc of your PS along with 1-2 things you want me to focus on (theme, content, grammar, flow, etc). If you can't PM a link, I can't review your personal statement - you'll have to find someone else. Will not be available after June 12 2018

Readers Available:
  • aspiringdoc34
    - Credentials: - Completed a technical writing certificate with my undergrad degree.
    - Also published 10+ scientific peer-reviewed journal articles and national meeting poster presentations.
    - Also a peer-reviewer at a major pathology journal
    - Specific things I'll edit: Grammar, content, flow, syntax/structure, etc. I would prefer personal statements in Google Doc format, just PM me the link (make sure document is editable). Check my profile status for current turn-around time (depends on how many active essays I have at the time).
Readers NOT Available:
  • BirdsMan| Closed while I get through my backlog and finish writing a paper! MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Please PM me a link to a google doc of your PS along with 1-2 things you want me to focus on (theme, content, grammar, flow, etc). If you can't PM a link, I can't review your personal statement - you'll have to find someone else. Will not be available after June 12 2018

• aspiringdoc34
    - Credentials: - Completed a technical writing certificate with my undergrad degree.
    - Also published 10+ scientific peer-reviewed journal articles and national meeting poster presentations.
    - Specific things I'll edit: Grammar, content, flow, syntax/structure, etc. I would prefer personal statements in Google Doc format, just PM me the link (make sure document is editable). Check my profile status for current turn-around time (depends on how many active essays I have at the time).
  • DTX_1212 - Traditional student matriculating to a Top-25 MD in August. Had a lot of success this cycle and looking to help others do the same. Have lots of free time through my schools start date so feel free to message me.
Readers NOT Available:

• aspiringdoc34
  • DTX_1212 - Traditional student matriculating to a Top-25 MD in August. Had a lot of success this cycle and looking to help others do the same. Have lots of free time through my schools start date so feel free to message me.
  • DetectiveSnowBucket If there's anything you need, you can get it at the market
Readers NOT Available:

• aspiringdoc34
  • DetectiveSnowBucket If there's anything you need, you can get it at the market
  • Itsnotsobad Author of various publications, and assistant to the editor of a major publishing house. If your personal statement has mistakes, I will catch them-- will also check for flow in the prose.
Readers NOT Available:

• aspiringdoc34
  • Itsnotsobad Author of various publications, and assistant to the editor of a major publishing house. If your personal statement has mistakes, I will catch them-- will also check for flow in the prose.
Readers NOT Available:
  • JonathanHusky| reapplicant, matriculating MD in August. Went through a loooot of drafts of my PS so I can tell you exactly what NOT to do lol. Can comment on flow, content, theme, or w/e you want | was doing a little traveling and couldn't get to a lot in my inbox, if you mssged me I'll do my best to reply within the next few days

Hey guys,

Is anybody available or willing to proofread/edit my PS? I just have so much to say and not sure what is more important. Any type of feedback is appreciated!

Thank you in advance! :)

You can check the 2018-2019 personal statement readers list and PM someone!

Readers Available:
  • aspiringdoc34
  • ohkarto | Matriculating MD in the Fall. Gap year, first time applicant. Used this thread a lot, happy to do the same for others. Will only be providing feedback on content since I don't have too much time until I am busy again. Will probably be more helpful to students interested in service or from a low-income background. Prefer Google Doc format (PM the EDITABLE link!!).
Readers NOT Available:
  • JonathanHusky| reapplicant, matriculating MD in August. Went through a loooot of drafts of my PS so I can tell you exactly what NOT to do lol. Can comment on flow, content, theme, or w/e you want | was doing a little traveling and couldn't get to a lot in my inbox, if you mssged me I'll do my best to reply within the next few days

Readers Available:
  • ohkarto | Matriculating MD in the Fall. Gap year, first time applicant. Used this thread a lot, happy to do the same for others. Will only be providing feedback on content since I don't have too much time until I am busy again. Will probably be more helpful to students interested in service or from a low-income background. Prefer Google Doc format (PM the EDITABLE link!!).
Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34

Readers Available:
  • mybluedog | MD Class of 2022. I am a reapplicant, currently in my gap year. In undergrad, I've worked with students editing their writing for class, CVs and PSs for grad school, etc. Been editing personal statements on sdn for 2 yrs through other accounts. I am a very blunt commenter, and my writing style is very much "get to the point - no fluff". I will only take 5 personal statements per week, as it is always overwhelming. (please see signature for updates.) Waitlist will be formed based on time submitted to my inbox. I will edit through a Google Document link (make sure it is editable and open to the public, so I can access it.) Let me know if you are applying to DO/+MD and I accept W/C activity list as well! Looking forward to reading your essays!
Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34

Readers Available:
  • mybluedog | MD Class of 2022. I am a reapplicant, currently in my gap year. In undergrad, I've worked with students editing their writing for class, CVs and PSs for grad school, etc. Been editing personal statements on sdn for 2 yrs through other accounts. I am a very blunt commenter, and my writing style is very much "get to the point - no fluff". I will only take 5 personal statements per week, as it is always overwhelming. (please see signature for updates.) Waitlist will be formed based on time submitted to my inbox. I will edit through a Google Document link (make sure it is editable and open to the public, so I can access it.) Let me know if you are applying to DO/+MD and I accept W/C activity list as well! Looking forward to reading your essays!
  • seren1051 | MD Class of 2022. Bio & Chem double major. Also a reapplicant, Canadian, immigrant from Asia, kinda nontrad (was stuck in school lab all those years). Received really great advice from these threads, had a great cycle and would like to pay it back. Content & flow only - my grammar is no bueno.
Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34

Readers Available:
  • mybluedog | MD Class of 2022. I am a reapplicant, currently in my gap year. In undergrad, I've worked with students editing their writing for class, CVs and PSs for grad school, etc. Been editing personal statements on sdn for 2 yrs through other accounts. I am a very blunt commenter, and my writing style is very much "get to the point - no fluff". I will only take 5 personal statements per week, as it is always overwhelming. (please see signature for updates.) Waitlist will be formed based on time submitted to my inbox. Do not ask me if I will read your essay, just send me a Google Document link (make sure it is editable and open to the public, so I can access it.) Let me know if you are applying to DO/+MD and I accept W/C activity list as well! Looking forward to reading your essays!
  • seren1051 | MD Class of 2022. Bio & Chem double major. Also a reapplicant, Canadian, immigrant from Asia, kinda nontrad (was stuck in school lab all those years). Received really great advice from these threads, had a great cycle and would like to pay it back. Content & flow only - my grammar is no bueno.
Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34

Readers Available:
  • mybluedog | MD Class of 2022. I am a reapplicant, currently in my gap year. In undergrad, I've worked with students editing their writing for class, CVs and PSs for grad school, etc. Been editing personal statements on sdn for 2 yrs through other accounts. I am a very blunt commenter, and my writing style is very much "get to the point - no fluff". I will only take 5 personal statements per week, as it is always overwhelming. (please see signature for updates.) Waitlist will be formed based on time submitted to my inbox. Do not ask me if I will read your essay, just send me a Google Document link (make sure it is editable and open to the public, so I can access it.) Let me know if you are applying to DO/+MD and I accept W/C activity list as well! Looking forward to reading your essays!
Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34
  • seren1051 | Will get back to available list once I'm done with current set. MD Class of 2022. Bio & Chem double major. Also a reapplicant, Canadian, immigrant from Asia, kinda nontrad (was stuck in school lab all those years). Received really great advice from these threads, had a great cycle and would like to pay it back. Content & flow only - my grammar is no bueno.

Readers Available:
Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34
  • seren1051 | Will get back to available list once I'm done with current set. MD Class of 2022. Bio & Chem double major. Also a reapplicant, Canadian, immigrant from Asia, kinda nontrad (was stuck in school lab all those years). Received really great advice from these threads, had a great cycle and would like to pay it back. Content & flow only - my grammar is no bueno.
  • ohkarto | Backlogged right now, may come back later. Matriculating MD in the Fall. Gap year, first time applicant. Used this thread a lot, happy to do the same for others. Will only be providing feedback on content since I don't have too much time until I am busy again. Will probably be more helpful to students interested in service or from a low-income background. Prefer Google Doc format (PM the EDITABLE link!!).

Readers Available:
  • mybluedog | MD Class of 2022. I am a reapplicant, currently in my gap year. In undergrad, I've worked with students editing their writing for class, CVs and PSs for grad school, etc. Been editing personal statements on sdn for 2 yrs through other accounts. I am a very blunt commenter, and my writing style is very much "get to the point - no fluff". I will only take 5 personal statements per week, as it is always overwhelming. (please see signature for updates.) Waitlist will be formed based on time submitted to my inbox. Do not ask me if I will read your essay, just send me a Google Document link (make sure it is editable and open to the public, so I can access it.) Let me know if you are applying to DO/+MD for character count and I accept W/C activity list as well! Looking forward to reading your essays!
Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34
  • ohkarto | Backlogged right now, may come back later. Matriculating MD in the Fall. Gap year, first time applicant. Used this thread a lot, happy to do the same for others. Will only be providing feedback on content since I don't have too much time until I am busy again. Will probably be more helpful to students interested in service or from a low-income background. Prefer Google Doc format (PM the EDITABLE link!!).

• success16| Matriculating MD in fall. International student. BS, first-time applicant, 2 gap years. Had tons of help with my PS, would love to pay it forward. Also looking for things to while I go through this last month of work. I will read for general flow and will only correct grammar/heavily edit if I think your PS answers the question "why medicine?" May not have the best access to the internet after July. Probably will be more helpful to minority and non-Canadian international students (mostly because I am more likely to relate to their stories), but all are welcome. Send me a google doc link. Since requests are so high right now, I will prioritize those that can PM link (meaning have contributed to SDN).
  • mybluedog | MD Class of 2022. I am a reapplicant, currently in my gap year. In undergrad, I've worked with students editing their writing for class, CVs and PSs for grad school, etc. Been editing personal statements on sdn for 2 yrs through other accounts. I am a very blunt commenter, and my writing style is very much "get to the point - no fluff". I will only take 5 personal statements per week, as it is always overwhelming. (please see signature for updates.) Waitlist will be formed based on time submitted to my inbox. Do not ask me if I will read your essay, just send me a Google Document link (make sure it is editable and open to the public, so I can access it.) Let me know if you are applying to DO/+MD for character count and I accept W/C activity list as well! Looking forward to reading your essays!
Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34

• success16| Matriculating MD in fall. International student. BS, first-time applicant, 2 gap years. Had tons of help with my PS, would love to pay it forward. Also looking for things to while I go through this last month of work. I will read for general flow and will only correct grammar/heavily edit if I think your PS answers the question "why medicine?" May not have the best access to the internet after July. Probably will be more helpful to minority and non-Canadian international students (mostly because I am more likely to relate to their stories), but all are welcome. Send me a google doc link. Since requests are so high right now, I will prioritize those that can PM link (meaning have contributed to SDN).
Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34
  • ohkarto | Backlogged right now, may come back later. Matriculating MD in the Fall. Gap year, first time applicant. Used this thread a lot, happy to do the same for others. Will only be providing feedback on content since I don't have too much time until I am busy again. Will probably be more helpful to students interested in service or from a low-income background. Prefer Google Doc format (PM the EDITABLE link!!)
  • Sss1219| Very backlogged atm but will be back once caught up | Nontrad, Reapplicant, SMP grad, matriculating MD this fall. Happy to comment on anything, but especially good with grammar/flow. Probably will be most helpful for redemption students, but willing to work with whoever needs an extra set of eyes.

Readers NOT Available:
  • aspiringdoc34
  • ohkarto | Backlogged right now, may come back later. Matriculating MD in the Fall. Gap year, first time applicant. Used this thread a lot, happy to do the same for others. Will only be providing feedback on content since I don't have too much time until I am busy again. Will probably be more helpful to students interested in service or from a low-income background. Prefer Google Doc format (PM the EDITABLE link!!)
  • Sss1219| Very backlogged atm but will be back once caught up | Nontrad, Reapplicant, SMP grad, matriculating MD this fall. Happy to comment on anything, but especially good with grammar/flow. Probably will be most helpful for redemption students, but willing to work with whoever needs an extra set of eyes.
  • success16| I hate to do this but I need to stop taking requests for now. This is becoming a full-time job lol. 13 requests within 24 hours! Will come back when I finish looking through current requests. Matriculating MD in fall. International student. BS, first-time applicant, 2 gap years. Had tons of help with my PS, would love to pay it forward. Also looking for things to while I go through this last month of work. I will read for general flow and will only correct grammar/heavily edit if I think your PS answers the question "why medicine?" May not have the best access to the internet after July. Probably will be more helpful to minority and non-Canadian international students (mostly because I am more likely to relate to their stories), but all are welcome. Send me a google doc link. Since requests are so high right now, I will prioritize those that can PM link (meaning have contributed to SDN).

Hi guys!

Was hoping to find some people to exchange personal statements and offer critiques
I have revised mine like 15 times, and have had 4 or 5 people read it (coworker, 2 med students, a doctor). They all seem to have varying opinions about what sounds good

Just need more feedback from others who are in the same boat

Hi guys!

Was hoping to find some people to exchange personal statements and offer critiques
I have revised mine like 15 times, and have had 4 or 5 people read it (coworker, 2 med students, a doctor). They all seem to have varying opinions about what sounds good

Just need more feedback from others who are in the same boat

Feel free to send it my way. I'm an accepted student - had multiple people read mine too, and have discussed with committee members, so hopefully I can offer some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.