*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2019-2020*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for this year's applicants who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

Link to last years Personal Statement Reader thread HERE.

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated this year. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post, with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2019-2020 applicants!

Specific comments, questions, or complaints can be addressed to myself or any other pre-medical moderator via PM. If I can't answer them they will be forwarded to the rest of the pre-medical senior moderator staff.

Official Personal Statement Guide thread, Alejandro's Personal Statement Advice, and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.
  • Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:
  • If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.
List Updated: 04/13/2019
This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Medical Volunteer Staff.
Any questions can be send to @AlteredScale, @PapaGuava, @Bacchus, @chizledfrmstone, or @Matthew9Thirtyfive .
Please remember that these people are volunteering their time. Be nice to them!

--DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!--

1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list and add your name to the "Readers not available" list.

Current Readers Available:

Readers Not Available:

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is for this year's applicants who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated this year. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post, with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2019-2020 applicants!

Specific comments, questions, or complaints can be addressed to myself or any other pre-medical moderator via PM. If I can't answer them they will be forwarded to the rest of the pre-medical senior moderator staff.

Official Personal Statement Guide thread, Alejandro's Personal Statement Advice, and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.
  • Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:
  • If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.
Any questions can be send to @AlteredScale, @PapaGuava, @Bacchus, @chizledfrmstone, or @Matthew9Thirtyfive .

2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list and add your name to the "Readers not available" list.

Mr. Babe - I'm a current medical student. I have been through 50+ personal statements helping people out. I will give you a 100% honest, non-BS review of your PS. It's your fault if you take my edits personally because time is short and you don't have time to waste if your PS is not very good. I will edit content, grammar, and flow. I am available for a few years at least.

Readers Not Available:

Reactions: 1 user

Rules for Readers:

Mr. Babe - I'm a current medical student. I have been through 50+ personal statements helping people out. I will give you a 100% honest, non-BS review of your PS. It's your fault if you take my edits personally because time is short and you don't have time to waste if your PS is not very good. I will edit content, grammar, and flow. I am available for a few years at least.

Hellosnd
- Admitted student trying to kill some time before heading off to med school. I applied to 30ish MD and 10ish DO programs. Received 2 MD II and 7 DO II using essentially the same personal statement. I'll edit for content and flow only.

Readers Not Available:

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)

Rules for Readers:

Hellosnd
- Admitted student trying to kill some time before heading off to med school. I applied to 30ish MD and 10ish DO programs. Received 2 MD II and 7 DO II using essentially the same personal statement. I'll edit for content and flow only.

MedApplicant.Com - I am a medical school applicant consultant. As time allows, I am happy to take a quick look at personal statements and provide some suggestions regarding flow, theme, and content. I will not edit grammar or spelling. As Mr. Babe said, I won't waste your time with niceties. I will get straight to the point...Good or Bad.

Readers Not Available:

Upon looking on my AACOMAS, the personal statement now appears to have 5300 characters. Can anyone else confirm?

Rules for Readers:

Mr. Babe -
I'm a current medical student. I have been through 50+ personal statements helping people out. I will give you a 100% honest, non-BS review of your PS. It's your fault if you take my edits personally because time is short and you don't have time to waste if your PS is not very good. I will edit content, grammar, and flow. I am available for a few years at least.
****EDIT: After receiving many requests to look at personal statements, I have a few things to add. Do not ask me if I can look at your PS, just send me a word doc to read. 90% of the PS' that I read are relatively weak and need an overhaul. If anyone is interested, I will send you my PS to look at. And please do not send me reminder pm's.......I will get to your PS when I have time.

Hellosnd - Admitted student trying to kill some time before heading off to med school. I applied to 30ish MD and 10ish DO programs. Received 2 MD II and 7 DO II using essentially the same personal statement. I'll edit for content and flow only.

MedApplicant.Com - I am a medical school applicant consultant. As time allows, I am happy to take a quick look at personal statements and provide some suggestions regarding flow, theme, and content. I will not edit grammar or spelling. As Mr. Babe said, I won't waste your time with niceties. I will get straight to the point...Good or Bad.

Readers Not Available:

Rules for Readers:

Mr. Babe -
I'm a current medical student. I have been through 50+ personal statements helping people out. I will give you a 100% honest, non-BS review of your PS. It's your fault if you take my edits personally because time is short and you don't have time to waste if your PS is not very good. I will edit content, grammar, and flow. I am available for a few years at least.
****EDIT: After receiving many requests to look at personal statements, I have a few things to add. Do not ask me if I can look at your PS, just send me a word doc to read. 90% of the PS' that I read are relatively weak and need an overhaul. If anyone is interested, I will send you my PS to look at. And please do not send me reminder pm's.......I will get to your PS when I have time.

Hellosnd - Admitted student trying to kill some time before heading off to med school. I applied to 30ish MD and 10ish DO programs. Received 2 MD II and 7 DO II using essentially the same personal statement. I'll edit for content and flow only.

Readers Not Available:
MedApplicant.Com
-

Rules for Readers:

Hellosnd

Readers Not Available:
MedApplicant.Com
-

Mr. Babe

Rules for Readers:

Hellosnd

smukke - DO resident. Non-trad, former private tutor, former ugrad writing center editor, former high school/ugrad magazine writer, aspiring historian. 6MD II, 1 DO acceptance (the only one that mattered :p). I'll comment on theme, content, flow only; there are better people out there to nit pick your grammar.

Readers Not Available:
MedApplicant.Com
-

Mr. Babe

Rules for Readers:

Hellosnd

smukke - DO resident. Non-trad, former private tutor, former ugrad writing center editor, former high school/ugrad magazine writer, aspiring historian. 6MD II, 1 DO acceptance (the only one that mattered :p). I'll comment on theme, content, flow only; there are better people out there to nit pick your grammar.

Cuddly Bear - Admitted student with lots of free time this summer. This past cycle, I applied to 35 MD programs with 8 II, and I believe my PS and secondaries were key factors in securing interviews. I have helped many classmates successfully apply to pharmacy school, dental school, and MS/PhD programs by revising their PS. I am willing to edit content and flow for your initial drafts, but am also willing to edit grammar and word choice once you reach that final submission stage. Best of luck! Rooting for you.

Readers Not Available:
MedApplicant.Com
-

Mr. Babe

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. I know that this thread is a little old, I just wanted to see if there were still any volunteers available to go over my PS?

Thank you

Rules for Readers:

Hellosnd

Cuddly Bear - Admitted student with lots of free time this summer. This past cycle, I applied to 35 MD programs with 8 II, and I believe my PS and secondaries were key factors in securing interviews. I have helped many classmates successfully apply to pharmacy school, dental school, and MS/PhD programs by revising their PS. I am willing to edit content and flow for your initial drafts, but am also willing to edit grammar and word choice once you reach that final submission stage. Best of luck! Rooting for you.

Weanprednisone - MS2 student willing to read 5 PS this cycle. I've been reading a ton of PSs for sdn in the past few years. I got into a T10 medical school and have a background in career advising before medical school.

Readers Not Available:
MedApplicant.Com
-

Mr. Babe

Rules for Readers:

Hellosnd

Readers Not Available:
MedApplicant.Com
-

Mr. Babe

Weanprednisone
- MS2 student willing to read 5 PS this cycle. I've been reading a ton of PSs for sdn in the past few years. I'm at a T10 medical school and have a background in career advising before medical school. (Update: I've already had quite a few people message me already and as I'm in dedicated for step 1, I'm putting a limit to 5. Sorry! However, I have helped students in the past as a side hustle, so if you are still interested, feel free to message me)