*~*~*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2020-2021*~*~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know for sure, but I think she's asking if she can be a reader, since you certainly don't need to post to have someone read your PS -- you just need to PM the reader(s) of your choice!
That is indeed what I was asking, but I was a little unclear LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Readers available:

Bioch3mistry | MD class of 2024 | I can help with grammar and limited content feedback. I'm non-traditional and have been on hiring committees (not for medical school) before. | Please send me a Google doc with the "can comment" permission on so I can suggest edits on the document itself without editing.

and 99 others | MD class of 2024 | Happy to help with flow and cohesiveness as well as grammar. Please send a google doc link through PM

pBar | MSTP class of 2028 | Open to offer a hand for any MSTP applicants on PS, Why MD-PhD, and Research Essays. Attending a T20 program and pursuing a PhD in a non-biomedical science field, so particularly willing to help applicants interested in programs related to healthcare infrastructure, policy, and/or economic | PM me a google doc!

vrazzles | MD class of 2024 | dank writer/editor | fax me your PS. jk send it as a google doc plz

kboomd24 | MD class of 2024 | quarantine got me bored lol. in all seriousness, i would be happy to help with your PS or any advice on apps in general. PM me if ya need help.

Inactive List:

chaim123 | MD Class of 2022 | Editted personal statements for years, happy to help with content review, or advice on anything else. PM me

TheDataKing || MD Class of 2024 - I edited close to 50 personal statements last year and am willing to help with grammar and overall flow/cohesiveness. || Message me a copy of your personal statement as a google doc with suggestions turned on or word document labeled correctly

marcosma | MD class of 2024 | good with overall story and also a grammar nerd, also going to T5 med school | message me a google doc link on here (make sure to have suggesting abilities enabled!!!) and I’ll reply if I can do it :)

SouthernGent | MD class of 2021 | Humanities and science degrees, and a survivor of the gap year. Guided and mentored multiple pre-meds into medical school. Will provide feedback on flow, structure, content, and obvious grammatical or syntax corrections. PM me a google doc or email.

waiting.for.tomorrow | MD class of 2024 | Non-traditional w/5+ years since undergrad. Humanities bachelors and science masters. Happy to help with story, flow and content. Grammarly premium account. Willing to review ongoing drafts as changes are made. Happy to review most meaningful activities as well. | message me a google doc link

pms_testosterone | MD Class of 2022 with some minor copyediting experience. | Closed for finals. Will reply to everything I've received up 'til now.

natgeolover | MSTP class of 2027 | incoming MSTP student open to helping any/all MD/PhD applicants with PS, activities, and MD/PhD-specific essays! will be attending a T15 program. can also help with how to incorporate experiences from gap year(s) if applicable | closed for now! but I'll respond to everybody who's reached out so far!

fjeowpij | MD class of 2024 | Did SMP after undergrad. Happy to edit for content/ flow/ major grammatical errors. Please send a PM only.

hamiltonmed | MD class of 2024 | Non-traditional. Will help with content and flow

mightychondria713 | MD class of 2024 | Non-traditional student. Happy to help with content and flow issues. Sometimes harsh feedback. Please send a PM only.

tessellations | MD Class of 2024 | Took two gap years where I did lots of scientific writing and editing and have always enjoyed helping others craft their story. Survived this past cycle. Happy to help with content, flow, and grammar as well as give general advice. Shoot me a PM!

sandiego3456 | MD class of 2024 | would love to help with flow and content | PM me a google doc link, or I can read it as a message in a PM

scribbles&rambles | MD class of 2023 | Experienced with copy-editing for college newspaper/journals, along with creative and scientific writing. Have also edited personal statements for the last 2 years. Happy to help with flow, content, grammar, syntax—just let me know your specific concerns. PM me!

boo234567 | humanities grad and MD Class of 2024 willing to help with flow and content | pls send as a PM or googledoc link. thanks!

premed375 | MD class of 2024 | Bookworm & lover of writing/bored during quarantine/can edit for content and grammar/was told I had a great personal statement at a couple interviews if that counts for anything. Please PM a Google Doc link.

yxyxyx | MD Class of 2024 | Incoming medical student willing to provide help on the essays in anyway possible. Will focus more on content and narrative as I believe the story was what helped me with my cycle. Have been told that I am a strong writer. Please send a google doc through PM. Thanks!

Readers available:

and 99 others | MD class of 2024 | Happy to help with flow and cohesiveness as well as grammar. Please send a google doc link through PM

pBar | MSTP class of 2028 | Open to offer a hand for any MSTP applicants on PS, Why MD-PhD, and Research Essays. Attending a T20 program and pursuing a PhD in a non-biomedical science field, so particularly willing to help applicants interested in programs related to healthcare infrastructure, policy, and/or economic | PM me a google doc!

vrazzles | MD class of 2024 | dank writer/editor | fax me your PS. jk send it as a google doc plz

kboomd24 | MD class of 2024 | quarantine got me bored lol. in all seriousness, i would be happy to help with your PS or any advice on apps in general. PM me if ya need help.

yxyxyx | MD Class of 2024 | Incoming medical student willing to provide help on the essays in anyway possible. Will focus more on content and narrative as I believe the story was what helped me with my cycle. Have been told that I am a strong writer. Please send a google doc through PM. Thanks!

Inactive List:

chaim123 | MD Class of 2022 | Editted personal statements for years, happy to help with content review, or advice on anything else. PM me

TheDataKing || MD Class of 2024 - I edited close to 50 personal statements last year and am willing to help with grammar and overall flow/cohesiveness. || Message me a copy of your personal statement as a google doc with suggestions turned on or word document labeled correctly

marcosma | MD class of 2024 | good with overall story and also a grammar nerd, also going to T5 med school | message me a google doc link on here (make sure to have suggesting abilities enabled!!!) and I’ll reply if I can do it :)

SouthernGent | MD class of 2021 | Humanities and science degrees, and a survivor of the gap year. Guided and mentored multiple pre-meds into medical school. Will provide feedback on flow, structure, content, and obvious grammatical or syntax corrections. PM me a google doc or email.

waiting.for.tomorrow | MD class of 2024 | Non-traditional w/5+ years since undergrad. Humanities bachelors and science masters. Happy to help with story, flow and content. Grammarly premium account. Willing to review ongoing drafts as changes are made. Happy to review most meaningful activities as well. | message me a google doc link

pms_testosterone | MD Class of 2022 with some minor copyediting experience. | Closed for finals. Will reply to everything I've received up 'til now.

natgeolover | MSTP class of 2027 | incoming MSTP student open to helping any/all MD/PhD applicants with PS, activities, and MD/PhD-specific essays! will be attending a T15 program. can also help with how to incorporate experiences from gap year(s) if applicable | closed for now! but I'll respond to everybody who's reached out so far!

fjeowpij | MD class of 2024 | Did SMP after undergrad. Happy to edit for content/ flow/ major grammatical errors. Please send a PM only.

hamiltonmed | MD class of 2024 | Non-traditional. Will help with content and flow

mightychondria713 | MD class of 2024 | Non-traditional student. Happy to help with content and flow issues. Sometimes harsh feedback. Please send a PM only.

tessellations | MD Class of 2024 | Took two gap years where I did lots of scientific writing and editing and have always enjoyed helping others craft their story. Survived this past cycle. Happy to help with content, flow, and grammar as well as give general advice. Shoot me a PM!

sandiego3456 | MD class of 2024 | would love to help with flow and content | PM me a google doc link, or I can read it as a message in a PM

scribbles&rambles | MD class of 2023 | Experienced with copy-editing for college newspaper/journals, along with creative and scientific writing. Have also edited personal statements for the last 2 years. Happy to help with flow, content, grammar, syntax—just let me know your specific concerns. PM me!

boo234567 | humanities grad and MD Class of 2024 willing to help with flow and content | pls send as a PM or googledoc link. thanks!

premed375 | MD class of 2024 | Bookworm & lover of writing/bored during quarantine/can edit for content and grammar/was told I had a great personal statement at a couple interviews if that counts for anything. Please PM a Google Doc link.

Bioch3mistry | MD class of 2024 | I can help with grammar and limited content feedback. I'm non-traditional and have been on hiring committees (not for medical school) before. | Please send me a Google doc with the "can comment" permission on so I can suggest edits on the document itself without editing.

Readers available:

Inactive List:

Not sure if allowed in this thread, but would anyone be willing to look at my diversity secondary?? I have a draft written but not sure about the idea behind it.

Readers available:

Inactive List:

Readers available:

Inactive List:

Readers available:

pms_testosterone | MD Class of 2022 with some minor copyediting experience. | Please message me your essay. No email, no Google Docs. Thanks.

Inactive List:
Can you review my personal statement?

Readers available:

Inactive List:

imresidency21 | MD class of 2018 | Currently a research scholar | Willing to suggest grammar errors and , flow and content.| Have been proof reading personal statements of seniors if that counts. DM me for any specifics. Good luck.

This thread is for this year's applicants who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

Link to last year's thread

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated this year. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post, with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2020-2021 applicants.

Specific comments, questions, or complaints can be addressed to me (@TheDataKing), @Lucca, @gyngyn, @Matthew9Thirtyfive , @OchemOficionado, or @PapaGuava via PM.

Official Personal Statement Guide thread, Alejandro's Personal Statement Advice, and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.
  • Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:
  • If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.
  • Obviously don't share someone's PS with anyone else without the writer's permission
Instructions for Readers
  1. Click "quote" on the most recent post.
  2. Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address. If you aren't sure how to write this part, look at the OP from last year's thread for examples.
  3. Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
  4. If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and move your name into the inactive list
Here's an example of how to volunteer as a reader and how to provide useful info on experience, availability:

• FriendlySDNer| MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Will comment on grammar, content, theme, flow, anything you want. Will not be available after June 12 2020.
This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff
Please remember that these people are volunteering their time. Be nice to them!

Good luck! Let me know if you have questions!
Is there a link for secondary essay editing help? Thank you

Readers available:

Inactive List:

Readers available:

Inactive List:

Thanks bro. Can I send my secondary essay as well?

Thanks bro. Can I send my secondary essay as well?

Lol, bro, you can message people on here and ask if they will read a secondary for you! Just private message "active readers"

Readers available:

pBar
| MSTP class of 2028 | Open to offer a hand for any MSTP applicants on PS, Why MD-PhD, and Research Essays. Attending a T20 program and pursuing a PhD in a non-biomedical science field, so particularly willing to help applicants interested in programs related to healthcare infrastructure, policy, and/or economic | PM me a google doc!

LunaOri | Medical School Clinical Faculty | Former nontraditional student; parent of a medical student. 20+ years of experience in college admissions. Will edit for content, grammar, flow, etc. Please send me a document or link.

Inactive List:

chaim123 | MD Class of 2022 | Edited personal statements for years, happy to help with content review or advice on anything else. PM me

Last edited by a moderator:
is anyone reading personal statements? i messaged all the active people 2 weeks ago and until now no one replied :(

I'll be available beginning mid-March or so.

Reactions: 1 users