*~*~*~*~*~*Official Personal Statement Guide and Reader List 2021-2022*~*~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for this year's applicants who are beginning to work on their personal statements. If you're looking for someone to read your PS, check out the list of volunteers below In the most recent post ONLY!!

Link to last year's thread

If you are willing to volunteer, the thread will be self regulated. Respond below, following the instructions at the end of this post, with your credentials and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). Please read the full list of rules posted below before you volunteer or contact a reader, and good luck to the 2020-2021 applicants.

Official Personal Statement Guide thread, Alejandro's Personal Statement Advice, and Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips.
  • If you are looking for feedback on your personal statement, it is better to PM individual users here whose strengths are better suited to your needs rather than posting a response in this thread.
  • Once you contact a reader and they agree to read your personal statement, please email it to them as a Word document with your SDN username in the title. Including your SDN username makes it easier for the readers to keep track of who they've already read for and who they still need to read. DO NOT JUST PM YOUR STATEMENT TO A READER.
Rules for Readers:
  • If you would like to be added or deleted from the list, please make sure that you follow the directions below, and add or delete yourself.
  • As a volunteer, you may read as many or as few personal statements as you'd like or have time for. If you will be unavailable for a certain time or have been inundated with requests, simply take yourself off of the list using the instructions below
  • If you receive a request and are unable to fulfill it, please respond to the writer so he/she is not waiting for a response and can request help from elsewhere.
  • For your protection, we will not allow you to post your email addresses here. All email addresses will be edited out of the list and any further posts containing email addresses will be edited to remove them. Writers will contact you via PM and you can exchange email addresses privately.
  • As this is on a volunteer basis, absolutely NO solicitation of money for your services will be tolerated. Volunteers who violate this policy will be removed from the list and subject to further disciplinary action.
  • DO NOT share someone's PS with anyone else without the writer's permission
Instructions for Readers
  1. Click "quote" on the most recent post.
  2. Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address. If you aren't sure how to write this part, look at the OP from last year's thread for examples.
  3. Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
  4. If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and move your name into the inactive list
Here's an example of how to volunteer as a reader and how to provide useful info on experience, availability:

• FriendlySDNer| MD class of 2018, will start family med residency in June | interviewer (x4 years) and voting admissions committee member (x1 year) at T20 med school. Will comment on grammar, content, theme, flow, anything you want. Will not be available after June 12 2021.
This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff
Please remember that these people are volunteering their time. Be nice to them!

Good luck! Please let us know if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In case this is helpful, starting the formatted list here.

Readers available:

touchflame | MD class of 2025, will start at T5 this fall | Have some copyediting experience, have read and given feedback on a lot of personal statements | Can comment on grammar, content, theme, whatever. | Please PM me link as a google doc with suggestions turned on, along with an overview of the kind of feedback you'd like.

Inactive list:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There have not been many volunteers readers for this cycle (shoutout to @touchflame for being the sole volunteer thus far!). With applications officially open for the class of 2026 and the earliest possible date of submission being just four short weeks away, I am writing to humbly ask successful applicants to please consider volunteering some of your time (even just a day!) to be a personal statement reader.

As you have no doubt experienced, the application process is nerve-wracking, but particularly so for those who fly in blind. Many of us are lucky to have mentors who invested in our success, and volunteered their time to write recommendation(s) on our behalf. I certainly would not be where I am today without the advocacy, feedback, and generosity provided by my late mentor, and volunteers here on SDN. Unfortunately, many applicants lack such guidance, and do not have access to knowledgeable readers, nor the financial means to hire a fancy consultant. For these individuals, any amount of feedback and guidance can make a huge difference, and help prevent costly mistakes from being made.

Volunteering as a reader is a fun, stress-free, and meaningful way to 'pay it forward'. No prior editing and/or review experience is required! As successful applicants both past and present, this is something we are all qualified to do, by simple virtue of having been through this process, and knowing what traits medical schools look for. In fact, at many schools, MS1's (i.e. you in just a few months time!) play a pivotal role in evaluating applicants!

Providing feedback can be as simple as qualitatively answering these five 'yes-no' questions:
1)
Did I get a good sense of who you are as a person? Y/N
2)
Did I get a good sense of why you are pursuing medicine and how you have tested this career choice? Y/N
3)
Are you someone who I would want as my peer? Y/N
4)
Is your personal statement easy to follow? Y/N
5)
Did your personal statement show humility, maturity, genuineness, confidence, and avoid negativity? Y/N

Get 5 Yes's? Good to go! Otherwise, back to the drawing board. It's that simple! You will be surprised by how many applicants unknowingly fail to meet one or more of these criteria, and how quickly personal statements can turn around with this realization. So please do consider volunteering if you can. Any amount of time will help. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Sincerely,
- Moko

tl;dr: Please consider volunteering to be a reader. Your fellow students need your help and guidance!

And for applicants: it is better to submit a good and polished application in June/July than to submit a subpar and mediocre application in May. You can and should start prewriting secondaries during the verification period. If you utilize a reader for your application, please consider volunteering your time next year for future applicants.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Readers available:

touchflame | MD class of 2025, will start at T5 this fall | Have some copyediting experience, have read and given feedback on a lot of personal statements | Can comment on grammar, content, theme, whatever. | Please PM me link as a google doc with suggestions turned on, along with an overview of the kind of feedback you'd like.

Orims | MD class of 2025, will start at T5 this fall | Lots of experience reading and editing personal statements for graduate school | Actively involved in diversity outreach programs as a graduate student, so happy to also help with diversity statements | Please PM me your essay (will work on one at a time) in a Google doc with suggestions turned and any input you might want me to focus on.

Inactive list:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Readers available:

Orims | MD class of 2025, will start at T5 this fall | Lots of experience reading and editing personal statements for graduate school | Actively involved in diversity outreach programs as a graduate student, so happy to also help with diversity statements | Please PM me your essay (will work on one at a time) in a Google doc with suggestions turned and any input you might want me to focus on.

Exocus | MD Class of 2025 | No formal editing experience, but have helped many friends with their statements | Can help with grammar, content, and theme | Please PM a google docs link with suggestions on and what you would like me to look at.

Inactive list:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Readers available:

Exocus | MD Class of 2025 | No formal editing experience, but have helped many friends with their statements | Can help with grammar, content, and theme | Please PM a google docs link with suggestions on and what you would like me to look at.

viralhiker | MD Class of 2025 | A lot of experience writing/editing essays in college, humanities major, writing tutor | Can comment on content, theme, grammar, etc. | Please PM google docs link with suggestions turned on and a brief description of what you'd like me comment on.

Inactive list:

• Love
Readers available:

viralhiker | MD Class of 2025 | A lot of experience writing/editing essays in college, humanities major, writing tutor | Can comment on content, theme, grammar, etc. | Please PM google docs link with suggestions turned on and a brief description of what you'd like me comment on.

Sfts_88 | MD Class of 2025 | Have given feedback on many personal statements | I generally comment on content, theme & flow | Please PM a google docs link with suggestions turned on and let me know if there's anything you'd like me to focus on.

Inactive list:

• Love
Readers available:

Sfts_88 | MD Class of 2025 | Have given feedback on many personal statements | I generally comment on content, theme & flow | Please PM a google docs link with suggestions turned on and let me know if there's anything you'd like me to focus on.

rigamarole | MD Class of 2025 | Lots of experience editing essays, have given feedback on other PS. I generally focus on content/flow. | send as PM, or google docs link with suggestions turned on & any particulars you want me to comment on.

Inactive list:

• Love
Readers available:

rigamarole | MD Class of 2025 | Lots of experience editing essays, have given feedback on other PS. I generally focus on content/flow. | send as PM, or google docs link with suggestions turned on & any particulars you want me to comment on.

r2med | MD Class of 2025 | Will provide honest opinion on your PS, just based on my experience and knowledge | PM as text (or GDocs is fine too) and let me know what you would like feedback on.

Inactive list:

Last edited:
  • Love
Taking myself off the list for now so that I can catch up with the 10 or so still pending.

Readers available:

r2med | MD Class of 2025 | Will provide honest opinion on your PS, just based on my experience and knowledge | PM as text (or GDocs is fine too) and let me know what you would like feedback on.

Inactive list:

Ditto, I need to catch up lol

Readers available:

Inactive list:

Readers available:

Lifeblood_20 | MD Class of 2025, will attend a T20 this fall | Humanities minor, have given a lot of feedback on college application essays. | PM in Google Doc link with suggestions turned on.

Inactive list:

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I need to take myself off for a few days to tend to a personal emergency. Best of luck to everyone else.

Readers available:

Lifeblood_20 | MD Class of 2025, will attend a T20 this fall | Humanities minor, have given a lot of feedback on college application essays. | PM in Google Doc link with suggestions turned on.

Inactive list:

Readers available:

porterjustice| MD Class of 2025 | Had a successful cycle in large part due to writing, have provided feedback on this site and reddit many times | Not the best at grammar but will happily comment on theme/content | Please DM with a google doc link with suggestions on!

Inactive list:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Readers available:

porterjustice| MD Class of 2025 | Had a successful cycle in large part due to writing, have provided feedback on this site and reddit many times | Not the best at grammar but will happily comment on theme/content | Please DM with a google doc link with suggestions on!

Havelock Vetinari | MD Class of 2025 | Successful cycle I attribute primarily to writing/speaking style | Happy to proofread and provide suggestions for clearer or more powerful expression of ideas already on paper, as well as general comments on theme and flow | Please send me a private message with a description of what you're looking for; if I can provide that, I'll ask for the text of your essay in a separate message.

Inactive list:

• Love
Readers available:

Havelock Vetinari | MD Class of 2025 | Successful cycle I attribute primarily to writing/speaking style | Happy to proofread and provide suggestions for clearer or more powerful expression of ideas already on paper, as well as general comments on theme and flow | Please send me a private message with a description of what you're looking for; if I can provide that, I'll ask for the text of your essay in a separate message.

SunMouse | MD Class of 2025 | Lots of informal experience reading and editing essays and personal statements for friends/family/acquaintances. | Can offer suggestions on grammar, content, and flow. I'm a non-trad career changer, so I can specifically offer my perspective on that aspect as well. | Please PM a request with a Google doc link (comments turned on), including details of the type of feedback you're looking for.

Inactive list:

Got quite a few in the queue with a busy weekend coming up.

Readers available:

SunMouse | MD Class of 2025 | Lots of informal experience reading and editing essays and personal statements for friends/family/acquaintances. | Can offer suggestions on grammar, content, and flow. I'm a non-trad career changer, so I can specifically offer my perspective on that aspect as well. | Please PM a request with a Google doc link (comments turned on), including details of the type of feedback you're looking for.

Inactive list:

Unfortunately, I have to take myself off the list for awhile while I write my master's thesis, or at least make good progress on it. It's got to be done before medical school begins. I've gotten to and through most of the people who've messaged me so far, and I will try to get to the remainder in the coming days. It may take awhile, but feel free to message me follow-ups.

Readers available:

Inactive list:

I am finishing up school and need to focus on that for the time being. Good luck to everyone!

Readers available:

Inactive list:

I'm pretty busy at work, and need to take myself off the list for a bit while I catch up with all the ones in the queue (if you've already messaged me, I will get to yours soon!).

Readers available:

Inactive list:

Readers available:

Warder | MD Class of 2025 | Humanities major x2, wrote way too many essay in college | Mostly will focus on theme and flow with a little grammar | Google docs with suggestions turned on or plain text in a private message if google docs doesn't work for you | In the middle of a move so give me 2-3 days to get back to you

Inactive list:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Readers available:

Warder | MD Class of 2025 | Humanities major x2, wrote way too many essay in college | Mostly will focus on theme and flow with a little grammar | Google docs with suggestions turned on or plain text in a private message if google docs doesn't work for you | In the middle of a move so give me 2-3 days to get back to you

natalux | MD Class of 2025 | started college as an English major, lots of experience reading and writing personal essays | will offer grammar/syntax edits as well as general suggestions re: content, flow, theme | PM me a google doc with suggestions turned on, and let me know if there's anything specific you would like feedback on

Inactive list:

• Love
All caught up on my backlog, so adding myself back to the active list.

Readers available:

natalux | MD Class of 2025 | started college as an English major, lots of experience reading and writing personal essays | will offer grammar/syntax edits as well as general suggestions re: content, flow, theme | PM me a google doc with suggestions turned on, and let me know if there's anything specific you would like feedback on

Inactive list:

• Love
Readers available:

prufrock2891 - incoming MD/MPH student graduating 2026. Attending T25 school. I completed 40 secondaries so I definitely have experiences with editing essays for myself and others | 12 interview offers and 7 acceptances (4 T30) | humanities major and editor of school newsletter! | PM me a google doc as a commenter :) | happy to help!

Inactive list:

Orims | MD class of 2025, will start at T5 this fall | Lots of experience reading and editing personal statements for graduate school | Actively involved in diversity outreach programs as a graduate student, so happy to also help with diversity statements | Please PM me your essay (will work on one at a time) in a Google doc with suggestions turned and any input you might want me to focus on

• Love
Readers available:

HouseJC | MD Class of 2025 | PhD to MD career changer, plenty of formal and informal writing experience, executive editor for my university's magazine, teaching assistant for neuroscience courses, got lots of feedback from my PS so hoping to pay it forward | Can comment on content, theme, grammar, etc. | Please PM google docs link with suggestions turned on and a brief description of what you'd like me comment on.

prufrock2891 - incoming MD/MPH student graduating 2026. Attending T25 school. I completed 40 secondaries so I definitely have experiences with editing essays for myself and others | 12 interview offers and 7 acceptances (4 T30) | humanities major and editor of school newsletter! | PM me a google doc as a commenter :) | happy to help!

Inactive list:

Orims | MD class of 2025, will start at T5 this fall | Lots of experience reading and editing personal statements for graduate school | Actively involved in diversity outreach programs as a graduate student, so happy to also help with diversity statements | Please PM me your essay (will work on one at a time) in a Google doc with suggestions turned and any input you might want me to focus on

everyone who messaged me before 10:30 pm, I got your message and I will edit them over this weekend!! Thank you.

Readers available:

HouseJC | MD Class of 2025 | PhD to MD career changer, plenty of formal and informal writing experience, executive editor for my university's magazine, teaching assistant for neuroscience courses, got lots of feedback from my PS so hoping to pay it forward | Can comment on content, theme, grammar, etc. | Please PM google docs link with suggestions turned on and a brief description of what you'd like me comment on.

Inactive list:

Temporarily moving myself to the inactive list, as I've got a lot of requests. Need to go through that batch before becoming available/active again.

Readers available:

Inactive list:

Getting more busy and a bit of a backlog has built up. If you have already sent me a PS, I'll review it and send it back to you within a couple days.

Readers available:

Inactive list:

Readers available:

Bioch3mistry | MD Class of 2024 | Just finished first year of medical school. Not a humanities major, but I have fair amount of writing experience. Non-traditional, went to graduate school before medical school. | Happy to give suggestions on structure, flow, and grammar. | Please PM a link to a Google doc with suggestions turned on. Information on what you'd like me to focus on or what theme you want to get across, etc, would be helpful! Would rather not do work/activities.

Inactive list:

• Love
Hi, sorry I got really busy and unable to complete requests timely. Those that sent me your PS, I will do my best to respond.

Readers available:

Bioch3mistry | MD Class of 2024 | Just finished first year of medical school. Not a humanities major, but I have fair amount of writing experience. Non-traditional, went to graduate school before medical school. | Happy to give suggestions on structure, flow, and grammar. | Please PM a link to a Google doc with suggestions turned on. Information on what you'd like me to focus on or what theme you want to get across, etc, would be helpful! Would rather not do work/activities.

Inactive list:

Very slowly getting through the ones you all have sent me! I will do my best to respond. In the meantime, moving myself to the inactive list.

Readers available:

Inactive list:

Moving myself to the inactive list, got a bit of a backlog!

Readers available:

Inactive list:

Hey there. Thank you so much for volunteering! I was wondering if you could take a look at my Personal Statement.

Readers available:

ilikethebeemovie | MD Class of 2025 | Will provide honest feedback based on my own experiences/knowledge. If you would like me to review your PS, please PM me your favorite quote from The Bee Movie | Google Docs preferred, let me know what you would like feedback on! xD

Inactive list:

Last edited:
  • Love
Have a bit of a backlog, moving to inactive!

Readers available:

Inactive list:

ilikethebeemovie | MD Class of 2025 | Will provide honest feedback based on my own experiences/knowledge. If you would like me to review your PS, please PM me your favorite quote from The Bee Movie | Google Docs preferred, let me know what you would like feedback on! xD

Moving back to the active list.

Readers available:

HouseJC | MD Class of 2025 | PhD to MD career changer, plenty of formal and informal writing experience, executive editor for my university's magazine, teaching assistant for neuroscience courses, got lots of feedback from my PS so hoping to pay it forward | Can comment on content, theme, grammar, etc. | Please PM google docs link with suggestions turned on and a brief description of what you'd like me to comment on. (please note that I will not re-read/ go through your PS again. I just want to be conscious of time. Sorry in advance).

Inactive list:

Sorry for the constant posts @Moko , but I quickly reached my quota over the weekend lol.

Readers available:

Inactive list:

HouseJC | MD Class of 2025 | PhD to MD career changer, plenty of formal and informal writing experience, executive editor for my university's magazine, teaching assistant for neuroscience courses, got lots of feedback from my PS so hoping to pay it forward | Can comment on content, theme, grammar, etc. | Please PM google docs link with suggestions turned on and a brief description of what you'd like me to comment on. (please note that I will not re-read/ go through your PS again. I just want to be conscious of time. Sorry in advance).

• Haha
Taking myself off the list again to catch up!

Readers available:

Inactive list:

Readers available:

supersus | at at T50 school | had a successful cycle due to help received on SDN | no particular qualifications but have read my share of essays | will provide my opinion on whether your personal statement is ready for submission based on post #4 | one readthrough per person | PM as google doc or in conversation chat.

Inactive list:

Last edited:
Going to have to take a break from reviewing, but feel free to message about other stuff - I love hearing from people about their application cycles or anything related! Good luck to all those applying!

Readers available:

supersus | at a T50 school | had a successful cycle due to help received on SDN | no particular qualifications but have read my share of essays | will provide my opinion on whether your personal statement is ready for submission based on post #4 | one readthrough per person | PM as google doc or in conversation chat.

Inactive list: @