****Official Practice Score on EK101****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnybear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Test #8 = 7 (-25)
Test #7 = 8 (-22)
Test #10 = 7 (-24)
Test # 3= 8 (-22)

Members don't see this ad.

so far:

#1 = 9 (-18)
#2 = 9 (-18)
#3 = 10 (-12)
#4 = 9 (-18)
#5 = 10 (-13)
#6 = 9 (-16)

for what its worth i got an 11 on 3r verbal and 10 on 4r verbal

pfh said:
so far:

#1 = 9 (-18)
#2 = 9 (-18)
#3 = 10 (-12)
#4 = 9 (-18)
#5 = 10 (-13)
#6 = 9 (-16)

for what its worth i got an 11 on 3r verbal and 10 on 4r verbal
that's great, yea, I do a little better on AMCAS one too, just little though, no 10's or 11's just like high 8's and 9's. My problem is that fact that I can't finish. Like today, I totally messed up my timing and did not finish 2 passages, so I gussed and got 4/13 of them. Did not even have time to read for question stem. so, If I could at lease finish one more, I could have 9, but oh well, I guess, there is a higher force that wants me not to do well on this section :(

Members don't see this ad :)
AWhitehair said:
How have you been doing on the AAMC ones?

i haven't taken any other than 5r yet, but got a 10 on 5r, a 7:( on EK 1g, and a 9 on EK 2f. probably taking 3r sometime between tomorrow-friday, and 4r on saturday, so i'll let you know how those go!

verbal 1----6
verbal 2----5
verbal 3----5
verbal 4----7
verbal 5----7
verbal 6----7
verbal 7----7
verbal 8----6
verbal 9----7

aamc 5R--6
aamc 1g--7
aamc 2f--6
aamc 3r--8

I dont know what to do. I simply suck. I feel more confiden but get same score. Somepassages 1 wrong and some like 4. I dont think i hsve enough time to significantly increase my verbal.

Tomorrow aamc 4r
Next week-EK 3f

Ill update u guys on how i do.

good luck!

rs76 said:
verbal 1----6
verbal 2----5
verbal 3----5
verbal 4----7
verbal 5----7
verbal 6----7
verbal 7----7
verbal 8----6
verbal 9----7

aamc 5R--6
aamc 1g--7
aamc 2f--6
aamc 3r--8

I dont know what to do. I simply suck. I feel more confiden but get same score. Somepassages 1 wrong and some like 4. I dont think i hsve enough time to significantly increase my verbal.

Tomorrow aamc 4r
Next week-EK 3f

Ill update u guys on how i do.

good luck!

welcome to my world.. lord knows i'm putting in the work. it's definitely frustrating.

cee said:
welcome to my world.. lord knows i'm putting in the work. it's definitely frustrating.
yea man, as sad as it sounds, it's like, i'm giving it my best, but every time there is something to keep me around the same score

I'm on the same boat. Mostly 7's and 8's from EK 101 1-6. Tried every strategy out there. From EK to Kaplan to Princeton to Student Doc to Google. No matter how "good" i feel, I end up with the same score. We are doing something wrong. Other people "get" this stuff like its second nature. I can practice a thousand passages and it won't matter cuz I don't "get it" yet. I think we're using the wrong part of our brain or something. Someone shed some light onto this, and don't frick'n tell me to look for the damn main idea and map the passage and listen to the stupid author's point of view. lol sorry i'm a little frustrated with only 17 days to go and no improvement on Verbal. I mean for God's sake, i missed a whole bunch of questions on a passage about VIDEO GAMES!!! HOW?! argh. we just gotta keep trying. Maybe we'll "get it." Good luck.

#1 7
#2 9
#3 9
#4 9
#5 10
#6 9
#7 9
#8 9

AAMC 4R 9
AAMC 5R 8
AAMC 6R 11

In the last week or so I would say that it is all starting to come together for me.
Tips:

1. At the end of each paragraph, take a second to parapharase in your head what the author said in that paragraph.

2. If you are running out of time, don't go back to the passage. Try practicing reading the passage in 4 or 5 minutes, then spending 3 to 4 minutes answering questions. Repeat: don't go back to the passage. That is where you lose all your time.

3. If there are any ideas that crop up in answers that seem possible but were not mentioned in the passage, changes are they are wrong.

4. All of you guys have the EK book, so a few times a day sit down with it, pick some random passage in the thing, do it and time yourself and don't let yourself go over 9 minutes. Do that often enough and eventually you will be getting 5/6 or 6/7 right per passage.

Good luck!

got 9's and 10's on EK's verbal tests 1-3, but only to end up with a 7 on test 7. i was really surprised w/ the difficulty of some passages in actual tests.

I can't exactly remember but I think it was like this:

101 Passages
#1 - 8
#2 - 11
#3 - 12
#6- 10
#7 -9
(I think my scores are going down because I am hitting major burn out)

AAMC
3R - 11
6R - 12
5R - 11

EK
1G - 7
(I took this test before I started using the question stem and answer choices technique)

The one thing that really helped me is to go over old verbals (or even new ones) and answer them without the passage, using the questions and answers only. I know I say this all the time (which makes me redundant) but it has been the key for me to break the 11-12 barrier.

How do you guys make it to 12 & 13..? there must be some special trick that I'm missing here :oops:

Anyway i got a 9 on EK 101, usually 9's and 10's on Kaplan ones.

InsomniacUVA said:
I think we're using the wrong part of our brain or something. Someone shed some light onto this, and don't frick'n tell me to look for the damn main idea and map the passage and listen to the stupid author's point of view.

there's nothing to say and i've almost come to terms with that. this is my 2nd time taking and i'm not stressing over it too much because you can only do as well as your best.

dont worry, i'll buy you a margarita on the beach when we're in the carribean for med school :oops:

1-6
2-8
3-10
4-9

really think i am starting to get this verbal stuff! test 5 tomorrow and then aamc 5r on friday hopefully i can get a 10!

BrutusBuckeyeMD said:
1-6
2-8
3-10
4-9

really think i am starting to get this verbal stuff! test 5 tomorrow and then aamc 5r on friday hopefully i can get a 10!

i feel you.

test 2- 5
test 3- 6
test 4- 6

aamc 4R- 4
aamc 5R- 6 (7/28/06)
aamc 6R- 7 (8/2/06)

i'm taking test 5 of EK 101 later today also. i'm improving slowly but surely. just hope i improve to a least a 9 but test day. :D