Official PS Readers 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would be glad to read personal statements. I can check for grammar, structure, and content. Just let me know!
 
I keep procrastinating on writing my PS and I'm trying to work on it today. Got my first paragraph down and now I'm completely stuck and don't know what direction to take it in. I'm looking back at my old PS and want to just use all of that again, but I know that schools will look at the old one and want to see changes - and also my IS wasn't a fan of my old one, though other schools were. Any tips on how to go about writing a new PS? Complete writer's block going on here about even where to start with this. Ick.
 
I keep procrastinating on writing my PS and I'm trying to work on it today. Got my first paragraph down and now I'm completely stuck and don't know what direction to take it in. I'm looking back at my old PS and want to just use all of that again, but I know that schools will look at the old one and want to see changes - and also my IS wasn't a fan of my old one, though other schools were. Any tips on how to go about writing a new PS? Complete writer's block going on here about even where to start with this. Ick.

whenever i get writers block i force myself to just make a template of what to write. Leave. Come back and write sentences for the template I made.

Also, i wouldn't open your old PS at all, do not read it!! Because then your brain will keep going back to what you wrote last year and you won't be able to block it out. It will eventually turn out the same. I wouldn't have even looked at it at all this summer because really right now, I cant even remember what i wrote last year lol. which would be the perfect time to start something fresh.

If you have read your old one recently I would just stop writing your PS. Move to writing your supplementals this week and try to get them all done. Then next week go back to your PS and hopefully you will have forgotten what your old one said and you can start new!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I feel like I've been MIA lately. Anyway, I'm trying to get motivated and work hard on my apps for this cycle but am really stuck with my personal statement. I liked my statement from last year, but broke a big rule and didn't let anyone else read it before I sent in my apps. So, now I'm having a hard time revamping it. Obviously I don't know where to take it from here and was wondering if you guys just want the PS sent in a message to whichever members I want to have a look at it? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance.
 
Hey everyone, I feel like I've been MIA lately. Anyway, I'm trying to get motivated and work hard on my apps for this cycle but am really stuck with my personal statement. I liked my statement from last year, but broke a big rule and didn't let anyone else read it before I sent in my apps. So, now I'm having a hard time revamping it. Obviously I don't know where to take it from here and was wondering if you guys just want the PS sent in a message to whichever members I want to have a look at it? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance.

I'll take a look at yours (and anyone else's). Just PM it to me.
 
I have just completed a rough draft of my personal statement, I have never written one before. If anyone is interested in reading it I will PM it to you and I will gladly read yours!

Thanks!
 
I'd be willing to read as well. I'll mostly check for grammar, structure, and organization--content to a lesser extent.
 
even though i am the official "bumper" for this thread, this will be my last bump because it seems like no one is really using it anymore?? Anyway, i'm sure everyone new who has joined has seen this thread by now and knows it exists so they can search for it themselves once it gets moved off the first page again 🙂
 
Hey everyone! I actually am new to this site and just figuring everything out; working on my app is exhausting! If anyone wants to swap PS I'm for it, I'm generally pretty good at grammar,cohesiveness, spelling, and whatnot. No guarantees but I will do my best! Let me know if you're interested!
 
Hey everyone! I actually am new to this site and just figuring everything out; working on my app is exhausting! If anyone wants to swap PS I'm for it, I'm generally pretty good at grammar,cohesiveness, spelling, and whatnot. No guarantees but I will do my best! Let me know if you're interested!

ill read it over but i dont have a PS to swap. i prefer to give advice on the general tone/events/flow so it would be nice to read something where the grammar is already taken care of! haha PM me for email exchange
 
I'm new too and hoping to get some help. If anyone is interested in swapping PS or editing mine, just PM me. Also, I'm pretty good at grammar, so if you want me to look at stuff like that just send it my way! I'm applying for a program through my college so my app is actually due really soon, but I'm willing to help out through the school year too!
 
If you missed this info in the first post here it is again. Just PM anyone on the list because they have already volunteered to read/edit!

Minnerbelle Specify type of reading (grammar, content etc). will read for anyone, but will only send out mine to non-lurkers.
Twelvetigers cohesiveness, wording, topic
Nyanko No grammar, be thick-skinned, contributors only
Rileryroo Summer only
Badcats Specify type of reading (grammar, content etc)
Blackat33-til mid Aug
Moosenanny - grammar issues, lack of transitions/flow, overall concept, the "wow" factor/hook, etc. Until mid-august
Katryn no grammar editing
Elefante7 Only thru august
Startingovervet Summer only, no grammar/spelling
HopefulAg - Summer, and perhaps a bit in the fall, no guarantees on that front though. Will do grammar, content, etc.
Polar Opposite Summer only. Will send out mine.
Goatvet Willing to trade
Freddie12 - June and July only; Please read it aloud to yourself before sending it to me
Whyevernot55 Grammar is great!
luplodw Anytime! grammar, content, etc. Willing to send mine to others that want to see.
Fishbones- will trade
gilch- grammar, content, etc.
jpeterman13- Summer only, will do grammar/content/etc.
scb44f - Any time. Grammar/spelling only - bad at content
variegata - try me anytime, but I don't guarantee a reply - grammar/sentence structure/organization, small degree of content
thedogisgreen - grammar/flow/organization (I will turn your paper red), & definitely will need mine to be torn apart once I get it going
Kat0303 - I can help with overall content and maybe some grammar. Lurkers welcome
lalzi22- anytime, grammar and overall content, may be a bit harsh (but mostly because I will probably turn it red with edits) contributors only
ginger17317 - summer mostly, will try as time allows in the fall, but no promises. I am also willing to send my PS - I feel it's probably not your "typical" PS format
AUillinoisan Summer only, content and grammar, will be willing to give mine out
Goatvet Willing to trade
Freddie12 - June and July only; Please read it aloud to yourself before sending it to me
natalieises-Until Aug 18th(after that I will still read if it's a regular sdner)
EnvyPointers-I will read and/or trade; grammar and creativity. Dad is a writer for those who want "outside" opinions
RunTheWorld-grammar, content, cohesiveness and overall tone. Will send my ps as an example afterwards. May be slow in the fall.
DVMDream- Aug - Fall: clarity, organization, grammar
rhinocerotidae - anytime, will edit/comment on anything
psilovethomas - everything!
AprilShowers - grammar, structure, and content
Skittles12 - grammar, structure, and organization--content to a lesser extent
 
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to review my personal statement, or if they'd like me to review theirs. I wrote almost double over the character limit and need help figuring out what should stay in/be left out or added.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to say that this is a really great thread. I was a lurker for a long time, and still now as a member sometimes haha, but what a great community!
 
I finally have a draft that I like! ( I think) anyhow, I know a lot of people are back in school now and I wasn't sure if there is still anyone out there that is willing to look over my PS. Mostly I would like impressions of relevance, content and flow. I also have a few places where I am just not to sure about the punctuation. Any takers? I would be more than happy to trade and give yours a once (or thrice😛) over.
thanks a bunch! feel free to PM me if you have the time.
 
Okay, I just started VMCAS (finally) and entered all my damn grades for my 173 credit hours. UGH. Now I need to start thinking about the dreaded PS. Thing is, I really liked my PS last time. I'm not sure what to change (except for adding in some more current experiences perhaps) and I didn't really get very good feedback as to why it wasn't liked except that it was "too focused/specific."

Anyone willing to evaluate my previous PS with a critical eye? Especially you lovely 2014'ers, if you aren't too busy already. PM me? (or contact me on AIM/Yahoo - the links are below my avatar!)

Sorry if this post comes out jumbled... I think my brain is mush after all those courses. :d
 
Last edited:
Hey guys,

I had gone over the list but didn't want to feel silly just pm-ing a bunch of people. And wasn't sure if some of the people had changed their mind about editing. I have posted a few times but I don't know if I were to be considered a lurker.. anyways.. I'm drifting away from my intial question.

Would anyone be interested in reading my PS, it is 1,580 characters over the limit so it needs to be edited, and I just can't do anymore. I would love if someone could go over grammar, content, hell tell me I'm stupid and I should just go be a hobbit or something.

I think I could take a fair amount of critiscm as I'm not really a fan of myself.

I would be forever greatful! Please PM me. And of course I would love it if you did get into veterinary school with yours because I am still sort of lost..
 
Ok, I FINALLY have a personal statement! 😀 Is anyone still willing to read mine? I am 44 characters over the limit so any ideas on how to shorten will be good. Also any insight as to grammar, or spelling mistakes I have glanced over would be great too. I will take all criticism; good or bad.
 
I will read both of y'alls if you'd like, but get them to me tomorrow or Monday por favor because **** goes down from next Tuesday to the other Tuesday two weeks later.

Though I'd imagine time would be of the essence on both sides of this particular coin 😛
 
Monday after 11:30 am (end of biochem exam) I will be looking for a distraction and a reminder why I am here. I can read both. I'm pretty good at removing characters to get closer to the limit!

Monday is probably the only day I can do this as I am way behind after my health issues and will need to get back to work after that.
 
I'm reading them....we need some kind of updated list or something haha. i hate having to post this every other day. Send them on over!
 
Warning- I am strictly a content reader and I will be very blunt, but that's only because I want to help!!!! I know you've got something and maybe you're having trouble seeing what you need to focus on because you've read the darn thing +1,000 times (like I did last year). Please, do not be afraid to send it to me, but also, be prepared. I will try to use tact.

TT & DVMDream- please send me your PS if you want to. 🙂

Qualifications:
Liberal Arts undergrad degree- if we didn't see the big picture when we were writing- which was all the time- we were screwed.

Failed attempt to get in the first time I applied- I know what changes I made that helped the second time around.

According to my personality type (LOL shout out quantized, nyanko and eventualeventer) I'm the big picture type of person.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know its kinda getting close to Dday but I have been a lurker for awhile and recently joined, would anyone mind giving mine a last minute glance? Possibly my personal response for a supplemental as well?
 
Hey, is there anyone on the list above who:
a) applied to Tufts last year and has experience with their somewhat unique essay questions and
b) is knowledgeable about/also wrote about public health?

My response to the main essay topic (suppose only 100 students were selected each year for vet school in the US instead of 3000, why should you be one of them) right now is way too long and very rough, but I'm hoping this weekend that I will have a draft that I can get some feedback on, content wise.