Official Rank Order Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey faithnotsight,

I know, I know.... I wish you could help, too.

But, I think I have decided to do this... I think I am going to put Boston first, because since I am from Chicago, I figure if I rank Chicago first... I have a pretty good chance of getting it (*knock on wood*)... BUT if I put Mgh/BWH first, there is a REALLY good chance that I will just end up at Chicago anyway... which would be great, too. So... why not just make match day a little more exciting, ay? I don't know. Let me know what you think.

But now I need help with this....
Where should I put MGH-Primary Care? Will it better my chance of getting Boston if I rank it above U Chicago? Or do you think it doesn't matter, because if MGH doesn't want you for categorical than they're not going to want you for primary care either? While I have interests in PC, I guess I prefer a CAT program to keep all my options open, you know? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hi 48 hours. Wish I could help, but I have the same issue with MGH and Hopkins. I think that they have equivalent post grad opportunities (well I am sort of interested in GI and I think MGH may be better for that), but I have more family and friends in the Baltimore/DC/Philly area. I know no one in Boston. Also, the cost of living in Boston is scaring me. I can't use the residents to determine my best fit. I connected to both sets of residents at different times during my trail. However, the firm system at Hopkins scares the bejeezies out of me. I think you could have a great experience, but there is always the potential that if you don't jive with your firm, you could be in for a rough experience. I spoke to some residents who loved it and some who had the "did not jive with my firm" experience and thus warned me away. Argh! Did you make a final decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, anyone able to decipher this for me on BWH's new scheduling??

"After a period of open discussion, the residents have decided to implement the following schedule adjustments: (1) the general medicine service (GMS)
hospitalist teams will continue to have night-float coverage at night, but
admissions will be spread out over the pre-call days. The added benefit of
this q4 system is to allow for localization of team's patients onto a single
pod, and thereby improve efficiency and communication with nursing; (2) the
non-hospitalist GMS and oncology services, where admissions often come in
quite late, will revert to an overnight admitting system (7 am to 1 pm; with
protected time after 2 a.m.)."

I haven't been able to decipher that email from the Brigham. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm still ranking BWH #1 though....I had a good "gut" feeling about the place and everyone there seemed really cool. I encourage all nice and cool people to rank BWH #1. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been able to decipher that email from the Brigham. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm still ranking BWH #1 though....I had a good "gut" feeling about the place and everyone there seemed really cool. I encourage all nice and cool people to rank BWH #1. :D

so is it a bad sign if you interviewed at the brigham and didn't get this email? b/c it seems like multiple people have gotten it yet i checked my email (incl junk email) and eras and nothing there. wasn't getting the love from the brigham to begin with so this might just add to that feeling. . . . :(

I seem to remember in talking with one of the interns the new schedule involves a "trickle" system for interns where you will be admitting patients daily but still have a call day Q4 where you will be taking admissions later than the trickle admissions or when they cap. they still have a night float. The idea being that on your call day, you will have fewer admissions which will allow easier compliance for the 10 hour rule. Could I be totally wrong about this? yes. I think that's what it means though. honestly, I don't think it matters much. Brigham rocks and I hope get to go there.

BWH e-mail? Was this sent in the past few days?
I didn't get this either. :( Ah well. I'm still ranking the BWH PC programs #1, followed by MGH PC.

the BWH email was sent a long while back. don't fret if you didn't receive it, it just probably went to your junk box. rank em like you want em and hope for the best.

Exactly.

reallyanon is right on. I didn't mean to freak anyone out about this. This was a really long while back. I was just going through my notifications on ERAS and was curious if anyone understood the new system at BWH, since I have seen that topic discussed a lot on some other threads in here. I would definitely NOT change my ranking based on this.

the BWH email was sent a long while back. don't fret if you didn't receive it, it just probably went to your junk box. rank em like you want em and hope for the best.

it's really funny to see ppl stress about the match and their chances....etc...especially when they talk about places like MGH, BWH, Hopkins, etc....you ppl need to chill out and be thankful that you can even talk about places like that..bunch of cry babies who just bytch and moan.....come live a day in my shoes and u'll really understand the stress of the match....

Wash U !!
Michigan
Duke
Vandy
U of C
Northwestern
Stanford
MGH
Penn

UCSF
BWH
MGH
Stanford
Michigan
Duke
UCLA
Mayo
Pitt
UVA
UNC
UCDavis

go couples match! the only time you hope for number two.

1. UW (switched my #1 and 2 to this order at 7:30pm on 2/21- so ***king glad this part is over now!)+pissed+
2. UChicago
3. UCSD
4. Brown
5. U Colorado
6. UTSW
7. MUSC
8. Dartmouth

best wishes

Members don't see this ad :)
MGH
Hopkins
BWH
UPENN
Yale
BIDMC
NYP-Cornell
NYP-Columbia
Mt Sinai

BWH
MGH
Michigan
Penn
WashU

Didn't rank Hopkins.

Could someone post the program code for BWH-categorical. Just want to make sure I entered the right program... I know I am being anal!:D

Could someone post the program code for BWH-categorical. Just want to make sure I entered the right program... I know I am being anal!:D

Yes, you are being anal!!:p , but here it is 1265140C0
Dude(tte) you are suffering from a severe case of matchitis!:laugh:

your a lifesaver! now I can officialy sleep. Thanks.

UCDavis:thumbup:
OHSU
UNReno
Providence St. Vincent's (portland)
Kaiser SF
Providence Portland
Legacy Emmanuel/Good Samaritan (portland)

Do I get a prize for not having MGH, BIDMC, and BWH in my rank order list?:D

Good luck everyone!!

here goes mine.. im very happy with my choices as im an IMG who needs a visa.. i hope i land up in my top 10 anywhere..

montefiore
uarizona
utmb galveston
musc
uarkansas
wayne state
albert einstein philly
st luke roosevelt
wash hosp center
lij

In the words of Christ on the cross, "It is done." I can now have a life outside of neurotically checking this thread every 5 minutes.... Best wishes to all of you.

Am I the only neurotic psycho who changed their list in the last 5 min? :confused:

here goes mine.. im very happy with my choices as im an IMG who needs a visa.. i hope i land up in my top 10 anywhere..

montefiore
uarizona
utmb galveston
musc
uarkansas
wayne state
albert einstein philly
st luke roosevelt
wash hosp center
lij

wow. that is not something I would ever post. Thank you for being honest.

Georgetown
NYU
Montefiore
U of Maryland
Tufts
Jefferson
Boston University
St. Vincents Manhattan

Didn't rank George Washington, Washington Hospital Center, or St. Lukes Roosevelt

Good luck everyone

Yes, yes, I know I ranked too, too many but was paranoid. Lots of last minute changes. And yes, yes, I know it makes little sense, but makes sense to me...

1. Yale PC :thumbup: (thanks to geri_gal, tapout, and others for the help). Geri--remember you from the trail! Hope you get BWH!!
2. Baylor-Houston
3. UNC
4. U Colorado PC
5. U Washington PC (Seattle)
6. Brown Gen Med
7. Case Western-UH (Int Health/Cat)
8. Einstein--Montefiore (Social Med)
9. UTSW
10. Miami--Jackson Memorial
11. Carolinas M. Center (Charlotte)
12. Wake
13. GWU (PC)
14. UTHSCA--San Antonio
15. Baylor--Dallas

here's my top 5. now there won't be anything to check on these forums anymore. :D

BWH (don't think it's going to happen)
Northwestern
BIDMC
Cornell
MGH

MGH
JHH
BWH
BID
Cornell
Northwestern
U Chicago
Columbia
Wash U
BU
NYU

wow. that is not something I would ever post. Thank you for being honest.

why? what difference does it make:)

i know folks amongst my img pals who have way way better invites than me. its just that im very satisfied. i was unmatched last yr and am grateful the i have a decent shot at a good program this yr.

i wish every1 the very best:)

so i decided to leave McDonald's

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. UCSF
4. Northwestern
5. University of Chicago
6. University of Colorado
7. BIDMC
8. Penn

Good luck everyone...until March 15th and then we can check in again...

-snird

Hey everyone, top 5:

Duke
Wash U
Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN)
Michigan
University of Chicago

Thanks for the posts. Obviously, I'm addicted to checking this forum... :)

ucla
cedars sinai
emory
baylor
cornell
kaiser la
boston u
nyu
scripps green
utsw
u miami

don't know if i'd be that thrilled if i went past my top 5 but any of these would be better than that god awful scramble..

BWH
UCSF
Stanford
Cornell
UCLA
Penn
Hopkins
UofC
Mount Sinai
BID

Hi all. Long time lurker here. Thanks for the helpful posts during interview season.

Top 5:
Stanford :luck:
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Emory
UT Southwestern

Left a program at the bottom unranked. Also declined invites from WashU, UVA, and MUSC due to a variety of reasons (though I've had second thoughts about WashU... it probably would have been 4th or 5th on my rank list). Here's to hoping none of this comes back to haunt me.

My top 5 programs endured several permutations before finalizing with 15 minutes to go. In the end, went with gut feeling for the most part. GL to all.

After a moment of panic and desire to change my list when I only had 10 minutes before the deadline...

1. Cornell
2. UCSD
3. UC Davis
4. Brown
5. University of Maryland
6. Santa Clara Valley MC
7. Harbor-UCLA
8. Boston University
9. Cedar-Sinai

Scale? Very happy at 1-3, really happy at 4-5, glad to have matched with 6-9.

Good luck! :)

Location location location

1. UCSD
2. UCLA
3. UW
4. Northwestern
5. U of Chicago
6. BIDMC
7. BU

am I crazy to rank UCSD above all those others?

Just say no, cause I already did it:)

My List!

1) Mayo (Rochester)
2) University of Chicago
3) UC Irvine
4) Cleveland Clinic (OH)
5) UIC
6) Loyola
7) Rush
8) Univ of Wis, Madi
9) Univ of Minne
10) U of Indianna

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Why does it take 3 long, painful weeks to run the damn matching program? ;-) My list:

MGH
BWH

Penn
WashU
UW
BID
UofC
UMich
UTSW
UCSD

Wow that's really courageous of you to only rank 2 programs. You must be a fantastic applicant. I ranked 5 and I thought I was being risky! I'm hoping my #4 and #5 are my "safety" programs.

My top three

1. UAB
2. Case western
3. Baylor

Wow that's really courageous of you to only rank 2 programs. You must be a fantastic applicant. I ranked 5 and I thought I was being risky! I'm hoping my #4 and #5 are my "safety" programs.

Those were probably his top two and he ranked more OR he got a ranked to match from his #1.
I personally ranked all ten of the programs I interviewed because looking at unfilled categorical spots in last year's scramble, I know that I would rather

http://ws.westernu.edu/do2009/NRMP Unfilled2006.pdf

be at my #10 program than any one that may have available spots in the scramble. Some people mistake "not ranking a program you'll be very unhappy at" for "not ranking a program because I didn't like it as much as the others"
For example, unless you have personal reasons that prevent you from being in a particular city, why would you not rank Hopkins if you are ranking places like MGH and WashU or why would you not rank Columbia if you are ranking Cornell? - I mean would that person rather take their chances in the scramble than match at Columbia (instead of Cornell) or Hopkins (instead of MGH?).

Those were probably his top two and he ranked more OR he got a ranked to match from his #1.

Even with a ranked to match email/call I still wouldn't take my chances. I have heard far far too many stories, both here and in real life, of people getting very explicitly-worded "ranked to match" messages and somehow mysteriously matching lower on their list. I wouldn't take anything for granted. Just a message for those applying next year.

Anyway I took the ellipsis below his/her listing of MGH and BWH to indicate that there were more programs that weren't being listed.

Am I the only neurotic psycho who changed their list in the last 5 min? :confused:

i did too :) i'm glad i did it, but from what i hear most people aren't.

nope!

rank list deadline was 2/21 at 9:00PM EST.

my rank list was certified 2/21 at 8:58PM EST. i printed the list and laugh every time i look at the timestamp...but i wasn't laughing very much when i was clicking "submit" and praying that the ERAS clock wasn't the same as my computer's clock...cause otherwise i would have been one minute too late.

and in those last five minutes i actually made some major changes too! location was always a priority for me, but it became an extremely high priority for me in the last ten minutes i had to complete my rank list. while a program's prestige was certainly important to me throughout this process, all i could think about was "am i really going to care that i'm at this prestigious program when i'm post-call and tired and cranky and hungry and far away from my friends and family?" of course not. so certain programs that were high on my list were replaced by programs that might be less popular...but at least i'll have my friends and family close by during these next few years.

there's a lot i don't know about all the programs i visited. but there's a lot i know about the comfort and support that family and friends can provide when you've had a rough day, week, month, whatever....and i can count on that for years to come. the joy that comes from being at a prestigious program is thrilling but ephemeral; i just didn't want to rank programs highly solely because they were "big name" prestigious programs, and i'm glad i figured that out...even if it was 2 minutes before the rank list had to be certified and finished.

Even with a ranked to match email/call I still wouldn't take my chances. I have heard far far too many stories, both here and in real life, of people getting very explicitly-worded "ranked to match" messages and somehow mysteriously matching lower on their list. I wouldn't take anything for granted. Just a message for those applying next year.

Anyway I took the ellipsis below his/her listing of MGH and BWH to indicate that there were more programs that weren't being listed.

Yes, there are of course more programs. I am not foolish enough to rank only those two. :)

You guys are way out of my league..
so far my interviews have been at:
ST. Vinnies, Montefiore, UMDNJ, Beth Israel NYC, Rochester, UCLA, Elmhurst

Does anyone know nething bout St. Vinnies and Beth Israel (New YOrk)

My list-

1) UCSF - UC primary care
2) UCSF - cat
3) UCSF - SFGH primary care
4) Stanford
5) Santa Clara
6) Brigham
7) MGH
8) Beth Israel

toaster-
respect putting santa clara ahead of BWH/MGH. clearly cali is a big draw for you as well. i think too few people (myself included) in IM put their life above the prestige of their training program. good luck.