ddxconfused

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Does anyone care to share their officlal ROL?

Mine is:

UCSF
MGH (tough decision for 1 and 2)
Stanford
BWH
U Chicago
Hopkins
Wash U
Northwestern

Now the agony of waiting.

GooglieGoo

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
I hope this doesn't jinx me!

1 Mayo (Minn)
2 BIDMC
3 Wash U
4 BWH
5 MGH
6 Yale

Not ranked: University of Washington (Seattle), UTSW, Hopkins

About the Ads

CJamblooze

Legend in my own Mind
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
1. MGH
2. BWH
3. BIDMC
4. Penn
5. UVA

Not ranked: Hopkins, Columbia

Good luck, dudes!

newenglandgal07

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
1. MGH
2. BIDMC
3. BWH
4. Columbia
5. Cornell

Is it wrong that I like the BIDMC better than BWH? :confused: OK whatever. Its my life, not anyone else's!

turkleton

Capeless Crusader
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Who shall be the first brave person to post a rank list without MGH. Not I. I'm cowering in envy.

merlin17

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Status (Visible)
I still can't decide
1. MGH, BWH, BIDMC
2. Yale
3. Cornell
4. Penn
5. Brown

Not ranked: Columbia

NYCDoc2007

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Sorry for asking this question in this forum, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice between which program to rank higher UCLA or Hopkins.Thanks!!!:)

Dr. ZZ

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
my list doesnt have A+ programs so thats why im not putting mine up there!!!

IM NOT ASHAMED OF MY LIST....SO HERE IT GOES

1. DREXEL UNIV. COLLEGE OF MED - PHILADELPHIA, PA
2. ST. VINCENT'S-MANHATTAN- NEW YORK, NY
3. UMDNJ-NEWARK- NEWARK, NJ
4. WINTHROP UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL- MINEOLA, NY
5. SUNY UPSTATE- SYRACUSE, NY
6. SUNY DOWNSTATE- BROOKLYN, NY
7. ST. BARNABAS-NJ- LIVINGSTON, NJ
8. NEW YORK HOSPITAL QUEENS- FLUSHING, NY
9. MT. SINAI-ELMHURST - ELMHURST, NY
10. MAIMONIDES- BROOKLYN, NY

mig26x

15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2004
Miami, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

you have four places that i have on my list but I have them in a very different order!! LOL.

About the Ads

Agent0

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
as of now:

Hopkins
Georgetown
Maryland
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Case Western
Northwestern
Chicago

chief6124

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2005
Status (Visible)
not as strong as others, but it will do....

UAB
SLU
U OF LOUISVILLE
U OF ARIZONA
U OF KENTUCKY
MUSC
LSU
MSU

turkleton

Capeless Crusader
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
as of now:

Hopkins
Georgetown
Maryland
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Case Western
Northwestern
Chicago

Agent, a reason you're ranking Georgetown so high? I liked the program a lot too, but was advised by my PD not to put it as high... she expressed some hesitancy regarding that program. By the way I was kidding about my earlier post... although I am a little jealous:rolleyes:

Agent0

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
Agent, a reason you're ranking Georgetown so high? I liked the program a lot too, but was advised by my PD not to put it as high... she expressed some hesitancy regarding that program. By the way I was kidding about my earlier post... although I am a little jealous:rolleyes:

Well ultimately for me I want to be in or around the DC area but I also genuinely liked the program-

My take on the whole situation is that for a long time they were slow to recognize their financial/academic problems so that once things were addressed things had gotten really bad- but now that theyve gotten things turned around financially theres a similar lag in re-building their reputation within the academic arena (which may or may not hurt in 2-3 years)

Other concerns I had was the Cardiology exposure but it seems thats been addressed with residents rotating at WHC, etc although I'm not sure if I could recommend it above similar programs if Cards is your career choice (but they did match 5-6 into Cards last year I believe)

I'm interested in Hem/Onc so for me it's not too much of an issue as they have an NCI Cancer Center

Other wildcards was the laidback feel I got from the residents I spoke with as well as the PD who was prob one of my favorites on the interview trail

Let me know what your thoughts were on the program bc talking with other applicants opinions range from one extreme to the other (and nothing really in between)

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Are you planning on going into cardio or GI?

Dr. ZZ

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
NO...im going to get my MBA in hospital administration and plan on taking over kaplan step 2 when conrad fischer retires....

About the Ads

EaglesPA

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
OK, I think I'm done with my list - no more changes!!

1. MGH
2. Brigham
3. Penn
4. Hopkins
5. Duke
6. Yale
7. BIDMC
8. Columbia
9. Brown
10. Mt Sinai (NY)

MGH – I liked the people and atmosphere there. I thought people were friendly and supportive without being overly "warm & fuzzy" – which is how I am. I thought the PD, Dr Bazari was great. Really liked the Bigelow model (and if it turns out to be not so great, you get to mix it up with the traditional model on the Ellison service!). Call cycle is awesome – come in at 12:00 noon stay overnight, leave at 12:00 noon the following day!. Cardiology fellowship match is exceptional. It was tough to decide between MGH and the Brigham, but in the end, both my gut and my brain agreed with MGH as my #1.

BRIGHAM – experience on interview day confirmed the "work hard but in a supportive environment" reputation of the program. I thought that the faculty were awesome – cardiology faculty very impressive. I didn't feel as much of a connection with the residents here as I did at the MGH. Wasn't thrilled about the call system – although I heard they are trying out two different systems now and will probably have a new system by the the time we are there. More diversity in patient population than the MGH. Cardiology match is exceptional. When I started applying I thought BWH was going to be my #1, ended up liking MGH a little bit more – but would still be thrilled to match here.

PENN- I actually really liked the atmosphere at Penn. Residents really seemed happy here and the PD is great – very responsive to the resident's concerns. Philly is quite a nice city too. Cardiology match is great. I still did not get the "gut feeling" though, so although I liked the program a lot, it couldn't jump past MGH/BWH on my list.

HOPKINS – You can't argue with the excellent training you'll get in this program, but being on call for 10.5 months of intern year dropped this program down my list. I liked the idea of intern autonomy but would prefer a little bit more support (as with MGH).
Cardiology fellowship match is exceptional. For me living in Baltimore wouldn't have been that bad. If I end up here, I guess I would just have to "tough it up" for that first year. It gets much better for 2nd and 3 rd year though, so you'll have something to look forward to.

DUKE – Nice program. Used to have "malignant reputation" in the past, but not so anymore. With their Educational Innovation Program (EIP) project, one of the things they are doing is more ambulatory time meaning 3 months of ambulatory in the intern year (but I think it means you don't have a continuity clinic). Cardiology Fellowship match is great. If I were married, I would have ranked this program higher. Durham is very affordable and would be a nice place for a married couple with/expecting kids, but as a single guy, it didn't seem like a "happening" place to be.

YALE – I think this program is a bit under-rated. I got the sense that for someone who wants to be in academic medicine it is a very good place to train at. What I don't like about the program is that it is "back-loaded" meaning you have a lot of call rotations as a 2nd and 3rd year. Cardiology fellowship match is great. Living in New Haven wouldn't have been that bad for me.

BIDMC – I got the sense that things run very efficiently in the "House of God" excellent computer system, geographic admitting – meaning almost all of the patients on your team will be in one place etc. Very supportive atmosphere – but I didn't really click with the residents. Cardiology fellowship match is good.

COLUMBIA- Would go there if I wanted to be in NYC. Ancillary services a big minus though. Cardiology fellowship match is great.

BROWN – Somehow, got the feel of a community program rather than an academic one. Very happy residents and supportive atmosphere. Didn't like that you don't get golden weekends as an intern. Cardiology fellowship match is good.

MT SINAI – If I wanted to do GI, would probably consider ranking ahead of Columbia. Residents seem very happy (kind of "cliquey" though). Very nice PD. Cardiology match is good.

Goodluck people,:cool:

Dr. ZZ

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
He wouldn't say where he was going...but you never know with that guy..he's very unpredictable.....but it shouldn't affect your decision to go to downstate or not....the reason why I ranked downstated so low was that I just cant see myself working/living in the east flatbush area of brooklyn for the next 3-6 years....and I also thought that downstate seemed a bit fake on interview day...they do a good job of selling their program...but there's more to it....I had a chance to talk to an intern ...he basically said that you will get worked hard.....u do spend a good amount of time fighting with the nurses to do their job....and fellowships it depends how much ass kissing you did over your 3 years there.

Bottom line: i dont like brooklyn...and i'm probably losing out on a chance for a good program...but oh well.....

C-GAR

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Status (Visible)
1 UAB
2 Vandy
3 UT Southwestern
4 WashU
5 Wake Forest
6 UNC

IM2007

10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Minnesota
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Eagles PA, you said that the cardiology match is exceptional for MGH. On my interview day, they didn't give us any info for any fellowship match data. Do you have this, and if so can you post it or PM me with it? Thanks, and good luck!!

tigram

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
1. Stanford :love:
2. Northwestern
3. Hennepin County Medical Center
4. Mayo (rochester)
5. Abbot Northwestern
6. U of MN
7. U of Washington

idiotpathic

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i apologise in advance for my ignorance. but why hennepin and abbott > mayo and uminn??

dr.op

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
OK, so here's the final rank list... I think
1. BWH
2. Hopkins
3. BIDMC
4. BU
5. Mayo
6. Drexel
7. Baystate
8. Rush

EaglesPA

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Eagles PA, you said that the cardiology match is exceptional for MGH. On my interview day, they didn't give us any info for any fellowship match data. Do you have this, and if so can you post it or PM me with it? Thanks, and good luck!!

This is what I compiled from a list of the recent graduates of MGH. The Cardiology match for the past two years is as follows:

2006:
MGH
MGH
Cleveland Clinic
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
Penn
Duke
Cornell
Emory
Cedars-Sinai
NEMC

2005:
MGH
MGH
MGH
BWH
UCSF
Cleveland Clinic
Hopkins
BIDMC
BIDMC
BIDMC
Pittsburgh

tigram

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i apologise in advance for my ignorance. but why hennepin and abbott > mayo and uminn??

Hennepin is a high quality county program in Minneapolis. Great faculty, lots of independence, good comraderie--in a place where your patient population is largely underprivileged. Reasonably decent fellowship match and my favorite morning report out of any I've seen.

Abbot is another small program in Minneapolis--it is known for an emphasis on teaching, supportive faculty, and great facilities. It is a private hospital witha great set of perks/benefits and a very kind schedule.

The U of MN and Mayo are both great programs. I would be happy to attend either of them. Basically lots of good choices in Minnesota with some of the smaller programs tending to be a better fit for me.

About the Ads

48 hours

provider of mexcellence
10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So, I can't decide between Chicago and Boston! I mean, I'm ready to consult a frickin' magic 8-ball here! First off, I think the Boston programs probably have more to offer career-wise, BUT (#1) I know no one in Boston and all my friends/family are in Chicago... BUT (#2), I also grew up in Chicago, so a change wouldn't kill me, you know?

Anyway, I keep going back and forth between BWH/MGH and U Chicago. I am not 100% sure about fellowship yet, but my interests lie in cards, geriatrics, and possibly even pulm/cc. If anyone feels like sharing his or her 2 cents... I'd love to hear it. But for the next few hours, this is where I'm at:

1) BWH
2) MGH
3) U Chicago
4) Wash U
5) MGH - PC
6) UCSF
7) Northwestern
8) U Michigan
9) Stanford
10) BIDMC
11) UW
12) Rush

lfcdoc

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I understand your pain, I too just can't seem to decide my final rank list with the certainty I would like. Having said that, you can't go wrong with any of your top choices so I would make the decision off hwere you want to live. All of those programs will allow you to continue whatever direction you would like after residency. I think when you are choosing between programs of that caliber it just comes down to where you felt you fit best and where you want to live.

scrasnird

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ok folks...here is my preliminary list:

1. Taco Bell
2. McDonalds
3. White Castle

4-7: I really just want my 1-3

I had a really hard time deciding between my 2 and 3...I might switch before tomorrow!! Only 22 days I can't wait!!!

--I figured paying off my student debt should no longer be a concern.

mig26x

15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2004
Miami, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

1. Taco Bell
2. McDonalds
3. White Castle

I had a really hard time deciding between my 2 and 3...I might switch before tomorrow!! Only 22 days I can't wait!!!

If you want to go into GI, burritos (taco bell) will help you more, but for cardio the red meat is definetely the way to go!!

nice list!!!

msu_scutmonkey

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

1. Taco Bell
2. McDonalds
3. White Castle

Umm... I don't want to be mean or anything but why are your standards so low? Are you an IMG or did you do really bad on your boards?

My list:

1. Applebees
2. TGIF
3. Bennigans

4-7 Some local joints, ranking as saftey spots.

reallyanon

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
sorry to post a random question but this thread is getting the most traffic and its down to the wire here. Cards match at:BWH/MGH/UCSF?? Do we think that they are all pretty much the same in terms of fellowship match/research opportunities? Does anyone have UCSF cards match info over the last couple of years? Eagles posted MGH and BWH I have, just can't find UCSF.

scrasnird

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think this point has been made several times on this forum. In terms of opportunities for cardiology fellowship there is very little difference in what is available to residents at UCSF, BWH and MGH. When I interviewed at MGH I was able to sit down with the Chief of Cardiology who told me that MGH and BWH basically keep their own residents and exchange between the two so both programs basically have the same fellowship rank lists which are outstanding. When I interviewed at UCSF, however, it was very clear that there is a "highway" between the Harvard system and UCSF. There seems to be a regular exchange between the two. I got the impression that the residents wanted to stay for cardiology at UCSF or perhaps go to Stanford or Cedars to stay in the west (which are all outstanding academic cardiology fellowships). However, I heard from the Cards Chief at MGH that they take residents from Hopkins, UCSF and other very top programs but rarely from other less-reputable residencies.

The bottom line is that you should go with what fits if you are deciding b/w Hopkins, MGH, BWH, and UCSF...because these are all very powerful reputable academic programs and the fellowship opportunities are essentially equal and above and beyond any other residency programs in the country.

Good luck

GooglieGoo

10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
sorry to post a random question but this thread is getting the most traffic and its down to the wire here. Cards match at:BWH/MGH/UCSF?? Do we think that they are all pretty much the same in terms of fellowship match/research opportunities? Does anyone have UCSF cards match info over the last couple of years? Eagles posted MGH and BWH I have, just can't find UCSF.
Seriously? Does anybody think there is a meaningful difference between these places? Did you wonder about Harvard med versus Hopkins med school residency match list as well? Does anybody (else) believe there is a difference? Anybody from those places can usually land in any of the top places as far as I'm concerned. Any differences I've seen are just due to resident preference - people at BWH/MGH tend to like to remain on the East Cost, people at UCSF tend to prefer to remain on the West Coast.

EaglesPA

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Umm... I don't want to be mean or anything but why are your standards so low? Are you an IMG or did you do really bad on your boards?

My list:

1. Applebees
2. TGIF
3. Bennigans

4-7 Some local joints, ranking as saftey spots.

Your list is ok, your stats are probably just average.
Here is mine:
1. HOOTERS - great place for singles, excellent ancillary services!
2. FRIENDLY'S - if you have kids, this is the place to be
3. TGIF - not bad, but I think they are still living on their reputation

I drove through McDonald's and Burger King but I did not rank them because I'd rather have scrambled eggs than go there.
Bennigan's did not have great client diversity so I declined their offer:smuggrin:

BearCat

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Sorry for asking this question in this forum, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice between which program to rank higher UCLA or Hopkins.Thanks!!!:)

I was wondering about the same thing also. Can anyone please shed some light on this? Thanks!!!

chitown82

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
outta curiousity (esp for those of us who arent m4s yet), can you all post your basic stats: school (tier is fine if you dont want to specify), usmle scores, aoa status, and other factors that are pertinent to residency apps

mcindoe

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Seriously? Does anybody think there is a meaningful difference between these places? Did you wonder about Harvard med versus Hopkins med school residency match list as well? Does anybody (else) believe there is a difference? Anybody from those places can usually land in any of the top places as far as I'm concerned. Any differences I've seen are just due to resident preference - people at BWH/MGH tend to like to remain on the East Cost, people at UCSF tend to prefer to remain on the West Coast.

i'm surprised by all this talk about fellowship placement and how big of a role it's playing in some people's rank list. it'd be one thing if you were deliberating between MGH and u. mass or yale vs. u. conn, because then you have a legitimate concern when it comes to how it will affect your post-residency opportunities, but when you're comparing mgh, bwh, ucsf, hopkins, etc...these programs are all widely regarded as the "best" programs and if you're lucky enough to match at any of them, i don't think it matters which one it is when it comes to fellowship opportunities--your application won't be tossed aside because of where you're training if you're doing so at one of the aforementioned places.

i think people are forgetting that where you do your residency is important but by no means the only thing that will matter when you apply for fellowship. you have to do well during your residency, have great letters of rec, and have quality research...you aren't going to get a fellowship spot at MGH just because you matched there.

for all you know, you might find out in the first year or two that you don't even want to do a fellowship anyway, so none of this will matter.

i hope you choose to rank places based on what they can provide for you now and in the next three years as a resident, not based on what they might provide for you years from now. if you're not a happy resident, you're not going to be a good resident, and you'll have nothing but a lackluster application from a prestigious program when you end up applying for these fellowships.

as mentioned above, were many of you thinking about where the graduates matched for residency when you were deciding which med school to attend? and out of curiosity, how many of you actually are going into what you thought you would when you started med school? i bet a lot of you thought you'd be going into something else, so just keep in mind how things can change. where you match is not going to define what direction your life is headed....you control that.

VCMM414

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
[snip] excellent post by mcindoe, see above [/snip]

So we've established that fellowship opportunities are equal coming out of MGH/BWH/Hopkins/UCSF, but how about Stanford vs BWH, or Duke vs Hopkins?? I kid, I kid.

faithnotsight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
Hi 48 hours. Wish I could help, but I have the same issue with MGH and Hopkins. I think that they have equivalent post grad opportunities (well I am sort of interested in GI and I think MGH may be better for that), but I have more family and friends in the Baltimore/DC/Philly area. I know no one in Boston. Also, the cost of living in Boston is scaring me. I can't use the residents to determine my best fit. I connected to both sets of residents at different times during my trail. However, the firm system at Hopkins scares the bejeezies out of me. I think you could have a great experience, but there is always the potential that if you don't jive with your firm, you could be in for a rough experience. I spoke to some residents who loved it and some who had the "did not jive with my firm" experience and thus warned me away. Argh! Did you make a final decision?

So, I can't decide between Chicago and Boston! I mean, I'm ready to consult a frickin' magic 8-ball here! First off, I think the Boston programs probably have more to offer career-wise, BUT (#1) I know no one in Boston and all my friends/family are in Chicago... BUT (#2), I also grew up in Chicago, so a change wouldn't kill me, you know?

Anyway, I keep going back and forth between BWH/MGH and U Chicago. I am not 100% sure about fellowship yet, but my interests lie in cards, geriatrics, and possibly even pulm/cc. If anyone feels like sharing his or her 2 cents... I'd love to hear it. But for the next few hours, this is where I'm at:

1) BWH
2) MGH
3) U Chicago
4) Wash U
5) MGH - PC
6) UCSF
7) Northwestern
8) U Michigan
9) Stanford
10) BIDMC
11) UW
12) Rush

scrasnird

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
alright folks...today is IT>>>

no more screwing around, no more waffling...

9 PM ET it is officially OUT OF OUR HANDS.....

THAAANK GOD!!!!!!!

good luck...lets see some more lists beginning tonight and then we can all obsess about where everybody else wants to go and then get out our calculators so that we can precisely narrow down our chances of getting our first picks!!!!

peace

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.