Official: SDN Book Club!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys--

So this is just an idea I got, I hope it works. I currently have two books on my "reading list" that are online. Third Year and Heart Failure. I was wondering how many of you would be interested in reading the book with me and discussing a few things about it. Kinda like Oprah's Book Club. :D

I have started reading Third Year and I simply love it. How many of you guys would like to start on it with me. There is no silly rule limit like you need to have read 50 pages each week etc. Just do it at your own pace, but don't slack. We may even convince the guy who wrote it to discuss his book with us. I believe the more people we have to discuss this, the better the experience might get. Whaddy'all say?

::crossing fingers so I get a response::

Members don't see this ad.

we can always wait for you till you're more available. Like I said, there's no "quota system" where you need to have things read by a certain date. I am sure we'll be busy at different times, we can adjust our readings accordingly. This is why I said, the more the merrier.

I'm in, but like most people, I will have to read it when I have some free time... and that is few and far between... so I will have to do it at a gradual pace...

Good idea Tweety!
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a good idea.... :)... I'm up for it, too!

i'd love to join... suppose i should go find a copy of Third Year now, eh?

if i can get my patoot to a book store (who wrote the book?) in the span of this week, then i'm IN! :)

k, i'm a dork. i know who wrote it; just found the other thread. DOH! :D

ok, so does everybody have the book? I have already started reading and I find it amazing. How do we start discussing it? any issues that you think came up in the first 20 pages or so that you would like to address? I don't know how to start a discussion on this stuff. So give me some feedback if you can.

Count me in too, but I'll probably have to go back and re-read it befoe I can discuss intelligently.

Btw, Tweetie, how do you have time to plan a wedding in India, do secondaries, be a moderator, keep up with your studies and EC's, and still have the energy to start a book club? :eek: :clap:

Count me in..although I have to echo the time factor.But when I get the time hey I will definitely join ya!!:)

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
ok, so does everybody have the book? I have already started reading and I find it amazing. How do we start discussing it? any issues that you think came up in the first 20 pages or so that you would like to address? I don't know how to start a discussion on this stuff. So give me some feedback if you can.

what kind of thing did you want to discuss Tweetie?

1. The writing, literary techniques, style? I suggest we stay off this one as I doubt many people are interested :) and it's not high art, it's just interesting...

The thing I got out of his surgery rotation:

A) People are weird. He didn't listen to "Jill" the attendings presentation of the tumor case yet on leaving he feels entitled to grouse that *he* didn't get to say anything and wants to grab the attending and say "He's my patient too!". Ummm, no he's not....he's Jill's patient...you are there to learn, while a 3rd year shares responsibility in patient care I'ma little leery of the idea that on day 1 of 3rd year surgery rotation the 3rd year has a whole lot to contribute.....(oh go ahead and flame me :) ....)

B) He comments the attending shot "A glance that said, ?another grouchy old lady...just what we need right now." Hmmm, I think we all make interpretations of others gestures but isn't this taking mind reading, and of a particularly negative slant, a little too far?

C) "On we went, seeing maybe 8 or 10 more patients, walking into their darkened rooms, throwing on all the lights, and waking up each and every one of them....." I must admit, having been a patient, I never did understand this penchant of doctors to arrive at 5am and wake me up, or why meal times were so weird. I guess it's not a holiday inn, but really, is throwing off all my biorhythms the best way to get me better?

D) " I boldly strode into room 6,
trying look like I knew what I was doing. In fact, and not for the first time that morning, I had absolutely no idea.

?Hey! Stop right there!? a nurse exclaimed. She turned toward me, a short, stocky woman in her forties or fifties, her features obscured by a surgical
mask and cap. Obscured, except for her eyes, which glared at me like a rattlesnake about to strike venom into my carotids. ?Where?s your mask?? she asked angrily.
?And your cap? We?re trying to keep it sterile in here. Surgery hasn?t even started yet, and you?re contaminating everything!? I looked around, bewildered, amazed
that I had already screwed up."

Well, I wasn't amazed he had already screwed up. What did he expect to happen, marching round a hospital pretending to know what he was doing? If you don't know - ask. I guess I can see the dilemma of not always wanting to be asking, and not wanting to seem dumb, but really most of this first chapter seems to be him thinking he should have some major role when he doesn't even know whats going on. I hope the first two years of medical school don't teach me to behave in this way.

Overall I think it's fascinating to read, but I haven't felt much kinship with the narrator so far. Mainly due to a disconnect between my personality and his as ai perceive it in the story telling. I think however the balance between wanting to appear like you know what your doing and just screwing it up trying to do so is well portrayed. I'm not sure that was exactly the writers intention though....

Originally posted by SMW
Count me in too, but I'll probably have to go back and re-read it befoe I can discuss intelligently.

Btw, Tweetie, how do you have time to plan a wedding in India, do secondaries, be a moderator, keep up with your studies and EC's, and still have the energy to start a book club? :eek: :clap:

That's easy, i just don't sleep. :D Marriage anxiety has been giving me the insomnia (I can't wait!) and I like making use of that time to do stuff. :)

Ok, so I have read the first 20 pages or so and I find it amusing what Boy wonder seems to say. (it's funny cuz the visual image I have of this author looks exactly like the guy in Scrubs with a similar personality.) Things do seem to be a bit more glaringly...depressing..in the book. And I wonder if it's because the author had chosen the field without knowing what it would entail. Perhaps the lack of passion for his work makes him view the things around him in a negative sense?

Then again, I know how nurses and residents/docs can be at times. They do expect you to know everything (God forbid I don't know where the gloves are stored) and always appear to be in a rush to go somewhere. I think that puts a lot of pressure on teh newbies who really need to be sat down and have stuff explained to them. Perhaps if I was in the author's shoes, I would have gone the evening before my first rotation to acquaint myself with the facilities. But not everybody is as anal as me.

I also find it impressive that this person admits, that they may not be as good at clinic stuff as they were in school. I like seeing a "genius" actually admit there the clinic side is a whole different game, and not everybody can be good at both. Any of you feel like you may not be as good in the books, but you will do well with patients? That's how I feel about myself. Not sure which is the better way to lean.

anyway, back to work....

C) "On we went, seeing maybe 8 or 10 more patients, walking into their darkened rooms, throwing on all the lights, and waking up each and every one of them....." I must admit, having been a patient, I never did understand this penchant of doctors to arrive at 5am and wake me up, or why meal times were so weird. I guess it's not a holiday inn, but really, is throwing off all my biorhythms the best way to get me better?

Patients who are disoriented have less to complain about.

hi tweetie, count me in, only i have finished 3 rd year and i am just starting heart failure
i t is an awesome book!!!

happy reading:clap:

hi tweetie, count me in, only i have finished 3 rd year and i am just starting heart failure
i t is an awesome book!!!

happy reading:clap:

keep up the good work guys! Let's keep reading.

I have a question about this guys book "third year"

Obviously he is unhappy with the way things are taught during 3rd year. According to the epilogue he thinks a reform is necessary and actually goes as far as making a list of things he felt should be changed. I'll preface my question by saying I agree with the author on a lot of what he has to say, but, my question is, why, oh why did he choose to write this as fiction? The points he makes in the book, the characters he describes, the situations he encounters, all lose their impact (at least for me they did) when you realize they are fictional. As the reader I never know when this guy is calling upon real experience or he is completely making things up, and for me that is a distraction which takes away from the story and the main point of the book. If he really wants to make an impact on the reader his story should be told as it occured and not in imaginary settings with imaginary characters, especially if he is attempting to sway opinion in favor of educational reform.

One last point, for me the story is only interesting from the standpoint that i may one day go through the same thing. But, I don't feel the book is strong enough to stand on its own as a story. The chapters are fairly redundant, yeah, i understand your tired and you wish you were home, and you don't feel like you're learning, but do you have to beat me over the head with it for 10 chapters. Also, I don't feel the author offers enough, if any solutions amongst his complaints to the problems.

None the less, i do recommend the book to anyone who wants to go into medicine, as the author does raise some very important issues that med students will someday run into.